National Forum

Galway v Waterford Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A couple of journalist are predicting that Fergal Horgan will be the referee for the final. Waterford fans will not be happy if that's the case especially after the under 21 game against Cork followed by TDG sending off.

Here is a question though. Are Waterford indisciplined in the tackle? I thought Owens was hard on them but after watching back the semi-final, Waterford gave away lots of silly fouls for jersey tugs and the like. Horgan and Owens are fussy referees so that's probably why Waterford fans goes bananas because they will blow up for small things. Gavin would suit them better. What do people think?

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 17/08/2017 17:19:43    2034797

Link

Horgan confirmed.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 17/08/2017 17:25:04    2034803

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "A couple of journalist are predicting that Fergal Horgan will be the referee for the final. Waterford fans will not be happy if that's the case especially after the under 21 game against Cork followed by TDG sending off.

Here is a question though. Are Waterford indisciplined in the tackle? I thought Owens was hard on them but after watching back the semi-final, Waterford gave away lots of silly fouls for jersey tugs and the like. Horgan and Owens are fussy referees so that's probably why Waterford fans goes bananas because they will blow up for small things. Gavin would suit them better. What do people think?"
Personally I think players in general aren't as good at tackling any more. Some people criticised Kelly for the Galway game but the majority of the frees given were poor tackling by Tipp players. You see very little hooks or blocks any more. Waterford I don't think are hugely different to other teams in that regard. In general intercounty players get away with a bit more in the tackle than you would in club games
Maybe the black card might not be a bad thing...

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 18/08/2017 08:52:20    2034989

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Horgan confirmed."
Is he only the second munster man in 13 years? (Kirwan is an Offaly man)
Possibly the one year it made more sense to have a Leinster man!

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 18/08/2017 08:56:54    2034991

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Personally I think players in general aren't as good at tackling any more. Some people criticised Kelly for the Galway game but the majority of the frees given were poor tackling by Tipp players. You see very little hooks or blocks any more. Waterford I don't think are hugely different to other teams in that regard. In general intercounty players get away with a bit more in the tackle than you would in club games
Maybe the black card might not be a bad thing..."
Interesting observations Tiobraid. Gleeson's composure when pickpocketing Ellis for Waterford's second and Bennett on Spillane for the first one is the way forward.

You are bang on the money about hooks and blocks. Kilkenny in their prime were the best in the business at it.

I think if Waterford don't figure out what they learned about Horgan after the Wexford game, they will be in for another frustrating afternoon in September.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 18/08/2017 16:05:24    2035147

Link

Just thinking there that it will be an extremely interesting tactical battle between two astute coaches. You'd assume TDB will be back in his sweeper role. After Tipp dropping McCormack back a bit against Galway, will Galway change tack for this one? I can't see a Waterford back following Canning if he drops deep. You could have the following situation:

7 Waterford backs vs 5 Galway forwards. 3 Galway midfielders vs 2 or 3 Waterford midfielders and 6 Galway backs versus 4 or 5 Waterford forwards. Waterford might look to play a counter attacking game with Moran and Barron carrying the ball on the break.I'd love to get posters thoughts on this. It will be fascinating, whatever happens.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 18/08/2017 17:02:56    2035178

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Interesting observations Tiobraid. Gleeson's composure when pickpocketing Ellis for Waterford's second and Bennett on Spillane for the first one is the way forward.

You are bang on the money about hooks and blocks. Kilkenny in their prime were the best in the business at it.

I think if Waterford don't figure out what they learned about Horgan after the Wexford game, they will be in for another frustrating afternoon in September."
Will Gleeson be targeted by the Gaa & the ref over the whole debacle over the last week, he will have to be careful as I think he will be well watched by the officials. The Waterford people can't have been pleased by this ref been appointed after the U21 game & the De Burca sending off, advantage Galway.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 18/08/2017 17:26:06    2035192

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Will Gleeson be targeted by the Gaa & the ref over the whole debacle over the last week, he will have to be careful as I think he will be well watched by the officials. The Waterford people can't have been pleased by this ref been appointed after the U21 game & the De Burca sending off, advantage Galway."
I was thinking that too, he will have to be on choir boy levels of good behaviour in the final if he wants to stay out of trouble.

It will be advantage Galway if Waterford don't figure out what they did wrong against Wexford because Horgan gave a load of frees against Waterford that day.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 18/08/2017 18:29:36    2035207

Link

You can see Up For The Match already.. Grainne Seoige bedecked in maroon and Dessie beside her balancing things up with a nice blue and white tie.

Shur they won't have to bring in Irish dancers at all this year Dessie can do the job!

John Mullane will be interviewed and a clip of him shown from 2004 telling us all how 'i love me coounty'. Paul Flynn interviewed on the Waterford side to counter balance this and add a bit of panache!

Hopefully Gerry Mc will be interviewed for Galway and they'll ask him how Gearoid is sleeping or some such question! Gerry Mc will look as powerful as always and like he could line out.

2 years ago the highlight of Up For The Final for me was the late Joe McDonagh's rendition of the West's Awake. It gave me goosebumps. Between his passing and Tony Keady's it brings home to us how short life is and that at the end of the day sport is sport and to be enjoyed.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 18/08/2017 19:08:01    2035220

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Just thinking there that it will be an extremely interesting tactical battle between two astute coaches. You'd assume TDB will be back in his sweeper role. After Tipp dropping McCormack back a bit against Galway, will Galway change tack for this one? I can't see a Waterford back following Canning if he drops deep. You could have the following situation:

7 Waterford backs vs 5 Galway forwards. 3 Galway midfielders vs 2 or 3 Waterford midfielders and 6 Galway backs versus 4 or 5 Waterford forwards. Waterford might look to play a counter attacking game with Moran and Barron carrying the ball on the break.I'd love to get posters thoughts on this. It will be fascinating, whatever happens."
If Waterford go with the same sweeper system Galway will clean them out. Watch the two Munster finals they played V Tipp it's such an easy system to beat and Galway have the class players to do it.
Derek McGrath has to have a major plan up his sleeve, I heard he was planning for 6 months on a system to beat Tipp this year in Munster only for Cork did the job first. Surely he has a surprise waiting for Galway otherwise I see Galway walking it if they play the same system.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 18/08/2017 23:06:13    2035278

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "You can see Up For The Match already.. Grainne Seoige bedecked in maroon and Dessie beside her balancing things up with a nice blue and white tie.

Shur they won't have to bring in Irish dancers at all this year Dessie can do the job!

John Mullane will be interviewed and a clip of him shown from 2004 telling us all how 'i love me coounty'. Paul Flynn interviewed on the Waterford side to counter balance this and add a bit of panache!

Hopefully Gerry Mc will be interviewed for Galway and they'll ask him how Gearoid is sleeping or some such question! Gerry Mc will look as powerful as always and like he could line out.

2 years ago the highlight of Up For The Final for me was the late Joe McDonagh's rendition of the West's Awake. It gave me goosebumps. Between his passing and Tony Keady's it brings home to us how short life is and that at the end of the day sport is sport and to be enjoyed."
You're on fire at the minute with some brilliant posts across the threads here.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 19/08/2017 00:22:00    2035284

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Is he only the second munster man in 13 years? (Kirwan is an Offaly man)
Possibly the one year it made more sense to have a Leinster man!"
Well Galway, for senior hurling purposes are a Leinster team now, so why should a Leinster ref be automatically appointed.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 4318 - 19/08/2017 09:44:42    2035303

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "If Waterford go with the same sweeper system Galway will clean them out. Watch the two Munster finals they played V Tipp it's such an easy system to beat and Galway have the class players to do it.
Derek McGrath has to have a major plan up his sleeve, I heard he was planning for 6 months on a system to beat Tipp this year in Munster only for Cork did the job first. Surely he has a surprise waiting for Galway otherwise I see Galway walking it if they play the same system."
Although Harte plays a wing back his job is essentially to play as sweeper behind the halfback line. As a result he won't be in the middle of the park pushing forward. Galway full back line I believe is vulnerable and that is why he sits there.
It means there won't be a packed midfield so the midfield and half forwards will get space for me that's where the game will be won and lost. Could be wrong but we might not see a goal unless one team has to go for broke and change tactics

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1804 - 19/08/2017 10:54:31    2035315

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Well Galway, for senior hurling purposes are a Leinster team now, so why should a Leinster ref be automatically appointed."
Interesting how the Sunday Game said there were no Leinster teams in the last four. Maybe the ref should be from Connacht/Ulster?

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1196 - 19/08/2017 14:37:23    2035337

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "Will Gleeson be targeted by the Gaa & the ref over the whole debacle over the last week, he will have to be careful as I think he will be well watched by the officials. The Waterford people can't have been pleased by this ref been appointed after the U21 game & the De Burca sending off, advantage Galway."
Don't be kidding yourself, the Waterford people don't seem happy with the ref but its not advantage Galway.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 19/08/2017 15:54:31    2035347

Link

Replying To zinny:  "Although Harte plays a wing back his job is essentially to play as sweeper behind the halfback line. As a result he won't be in the middle of the park pushing forward. Galway full back line I believe is vulnerable and that is why he sits there.
It means there won't be a packed midfield so the midfield and half forwards will get space for me that's where the game will be won and lost. Could be wrong but we might not see a goal unless one team has to go for broke and change tactics"
Yeah that full back line was very leaky, I'm still not convinced by Hambury. Killeen out is a loss and Tuohy is in there to shore things up.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 19/08/2017 17:40:30    2035364

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Yeah that full back line was very leaky, I'm still not convinced by Hambury. Killeen out is a loss and Tuohy is in there to shore things up."
*Hanbury

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 19/08/2017 17:54:15    2035367

Link

Why,what has the ref,done to Waterford this year?did he not get it right in the u21 game and the de Barca decision

Tipptipp (Tipperary) - Posts: 62 - 20/08/2017 10:26:35    2035463

Link

Replying To maroondiesel:  "Interesting how the Sunday Game said there were no Leinster teams in the last four. Maybe the ref should be from Connacht/Ulster?"
Ulster would have made more sense. Galway is connaught's only real team. Surely some where deep down a neutral Sligo/Mayo/Roscommon ref would have a wee liking towards Galway.

An Antrim ref would be about right.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 20/08/2017 10:56:07    2035468

Link

Replying To Condorman:  "Don't be kidding yourself, the Waterford people don't seem happy with the ref but its not advantage Galway."
Totally agree. After all the fuss the helmet rule has created, and the precedent set by both The Gleeson and Touhey affairs, you'd want to yank the thing off while singing the helmet yanking song and wearing a t-shirt that reads "I'm a real Yanker" before any ref will blow the whistle for it in the AI final.

This game is not going to be won or lost on account of one specific rule. Too many people focused on this.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 3097 - 20/08/2017 21:01:47    2035733

Link