National Forum

Galway v Waterford Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To baire:  "Fair play to the hurlers, to Micheál Donoghue and his team, they have lifted us all in Galway.
Great joy tinged with sadness. If Waterford were playing any other county we'd be rooting for them."
Nicely said Baire. You're win is so well earned. Glad it's given everyone a lift after the sadness of a few weeks ago.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 08/09/2017 11:39:41    2044121

Link

Replying To ke40:  "Leinster hurling alive and well"
Ha, I was going to post that it was great to see the Liam Mccarthy back in Leinster again but I was afraid that people would get their knickers in a twist over it!

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 1246 - 08/09/2017 18:15:07    2044257

Link

Replying To ballydalane:  "Ha, I was going to post that it was great to see the Liam Mccarthy back in Leinster again but I was afraid that people would get their knickers in a twist over it!"
In a way, it is (the Liam MacCarthy Cup) back in Leinster.

It can be reasonably argued that if Galway were not participating in the Leinster Championship, they wouldn't have won Liam. That said, the benefits of Galway playing in Leinster are mutual; the Leinster Championship, and the other counties taking part, have been enriched by their presence.

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2445 - 09/09/2017 12:31:36    2044358

Link

Replying To Cockney_Cat:  "In a way, it is (the Liam MacCarthy Cup) back in Leinster.

It can be reasonably argued that if Galway were not participating in the Leinster Championship, they wouldn't have won Liam. That said, the benefits of Galway playing in Leinster are mutual; the Leinster Championship, and the other counties taking part, have been enriched by their presence."
I agree, and I'd like to see Galway compete in the Leinster minor and under-21 championships too, and be allowed have home matches.

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 1246 - 09/09/2017 13:05:23    2044367

Link

Replying To Cockney_Cat:  "In a way, it is (the Liam MacCarthy Cup) back in Leinster.

It can be reasonably argued that if Galway were not participating in the Leinster Championship, they wouldn't have won Liam. That said, the benefits of Galway playing in Leinster are mutual; the Leinster Championship, and the other counties taking part, have been enriched by their presence."
I'd agree completely. It has helped to push Galway hurling to a greater level of consistency and competitiveness. It also provides a clear focus and path for the team. Like you said it should also help the other Leinster counties as the province becomes more competitive. The sooner our underage teams are in, the better.

WanPintWin (Galway) - Posts: 2033 - 09/09/2017 13:14:48    2044370

Link

Replying To ballydalane:  "Ha, I was going to post that it was great to see the Liam Mccarthy back in Leinster again but I was afraid that people would get their knickers in a twist over it!"
I don't recall much celebrating in Galway when they won the 'Leinster' title! If there were a competitive Connacht championship in hurling the celebrations would have been huge. Calling it the Leinster championship with Galway, Antrim and Kerry entitled to play in it is a misnomer but sure money speaks as they say. It's hard to banish provincial notions and vested interests.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 09/09/2017 13:27:16    2044371

Link

Just home from the 5000 miles trek to the All-Ireland. Great occasion and wonderful atmosphere. The best team won and was glad to be one of the thousands of Waterford fans who stayed to cheer Galway and show our respect to a great team. Our first touch was way off at the start. With Gleeson and Barron sick it was always going to be hard. Will not use that or any ref. decisions as a crutch, or detract from the Galway win. One thing I do know after the 22K fans in Waterford on Monday night is that this team will be back. It may not be next year as it is difficult to get there every year but a lot of good players will come on to push the wheel.

Canuck (Waterford) - Posts: 2655 - 09/09/2017 15:35:12    2044401

Link

Replying To baire:  "I don't recall much celebrating in Galway when they won the 'Leinster' title! If there were a competitive Connacht championship in hurling the celebrations would have been huge. Calling it the Leinster championship with Galway, Antrim and Kerry entitled to play in it is a misnomer but sure money speaks as they say. It's hard to banish provincial notions and vested interests."
But there isn't a competitive Connacht championship in hurling, never has been.

Calling it the Leinster championship with Galway, Antrim and Kerry entitled to play in it is a misnomer but sure money speaks as they say. It's hard to banish provincial notions and vested interests."

I really don't understand what your point is here... "money speaks"..."vested interests" how?

By the way, when the Galway hurling team played in the Munster Championship, in the late 1950's and all through the 1960's, was that because of "money speaks" and "vested interests"?

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2445 - 09/09/2017 17:11:54    2044426

Link

Replying To Cockney_Cat:  "But there isn't a competitive Connacht championship in hurling, never has been.

Calling it the Leinster championship with Galway, Antrim and Kerry entitled to play in it is a misnomer but sure money speaks as they say. It's hard to banish provincial notions and vested interests."

I really don't understand what your point is here... "money speaks"..."vested interests" how?

By the way, when the Galway hurling team played in the Munster Championship, in the late 1950's and all through the 1960's, was that because of "money speaks" and "vested interests"?"
Do I have to spell it out? All the Galway games in Munster and Leinster were away games which is disadvantage Galway in both gate receipts and venue not to mention the cost and hassle of travel for supporters. An open draw is the fairest way to play and promote hurling but that hasn't happened for the reasons already mentioned.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 09/09/2017 17:31:16    2044432

Link

Replying To baire:  "
Replying To Cockney_Cat:  "But there isn't a competitive Connacht championship in hurling, never has been.

By the way, when the Galway hurling team played in the Munster Championship, in the late 1950's and all through the 1960's, was that because of "money speaks" and "vested interests"?"
Do I have to spell it out? All the Galway games in Munster and Leinster were away games which is disadvantage Galway in both gate receipts and venue not to mention the cost and hassle of travel for supporters. An open draw is the fairest way to play and promote hurling but that hasn't happened for the reasons already mentioned."
I have been going to KK championship matches since the 60s and I can count on 1 hand the home games KK had,also I think gate money goes to Central Council,no loss to Galway there,

mooncat (Kilkenny) - Posts: 533 - 09/09/2017 21:56:37    2044498

Link

Replying To mooncat:  "
Replying To baire:  "[quote=Cockney_Cat:  "But there isn't a competitive Connacht championship in hurling, never has been.

Do I have to spell it out? All the Galway games in Munster and Leinster were away games which is disadvantage Galway in both gate receipts and venue not to mention the cost and hassle of travel for supporters. An open draw is the fairest way to play and promote hurling but that hasn't happened for the reasons already mentioned."
I have been going to KK championship matches since the 60s and I can count on 1 hand the home games KK had,also I think gate money goes to Central Council,no loss to Galway there,"]KK rarely have to play a championship game outside of their own province. If they do it's usually in Thurles which is just down the road from KK.
I believe KK should have a certain number of home matches in the championship same as Tipp and Cork. Likewise for all the other hurling counties.
If money isn't an issue why are the U21 hurling semis held in Thurles?
Why for instance were Derry asked to play KK in Thurles this year and Galway to play LimericK in Thurles rather than Ennis?
Why did the Galway minors have to go to Cork to play their first championship game? How is that fair on the teams or supporters?
How is it supposed to promote hurling amongst the youth in those counties? In Galway, LimericK and Derry for instance they're competing with gaelic football, rugby, soccer. Those other sports are played in the respective counties and are aggressively promoted.

Re present structures, the Leinster council and gate receipts, from Irish Examiner, 4 October 2016:
"The decision to take their case to Central Council is also financially motivated as figures revealed at last week's county board meeting show that of the €3.47m generated in gate receipts from Leinster SHC and Walsh Cup games involving Galway between 2009 and 2015, the county pocketed less than €130,000.

"This issue is secondary to securing more meaningful games for our minor and U21's, but it has to be pointed out that we received only 4% of the total figure of gate receipts since we joined Leinster.

"We play an awful lot of games in Tullamore and 10% of the gate goes to the Offaly County Board under the heading 'field grant'. The amount of money we are contributing to Offaly and Laois, because we do play in O'Moore Park too, is no doubt helping those counties develop and invest. We don't have that luxury. We are not getting meaningful competitive games yet by competing in Leinster, we are swelling the coffers of Leinster Council and the counties whose venues we play at."

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 10/09/2017 10:27:48    2044553

Link

Re mooncat and the present structures:
"I have been going to KK championship matches since the 60s and I can count on 1 hand the home games KK had,also I think gate money goes to Central Council, no loss to Galway there". mooncat

KK rarely have to play a championship game outside of their own province. If they do it's usually in Thurles which is just down the road from KK".
I believe KK should have a certain number of home matches in the championship same as Tipp and Cork. Likewise for all the other hurling counties.
Why for instance were Derry asked to play KK in Thurles this year and Galway to play LimericK in Thurles rather than Ennis?
Why did the Galway minors have to go to Cork to play their first championship game? How is that fair on the teams or supporters?
How is it supposed to promote hurling amongst the youth in those counties? In Galway, LimericK and Derry for instance they're competing with gaelic football, rugby, soccer. Those other sports are played in the respective counties and are aggressively promoted.

Re present structures, the Leinster council and gate receipts, from Irish Examiner, 4 October 2016:
"The decision to take their case to Central Council is also financially motivated as figures revealed at last week's county board meeting show that of the €3.47m generated in gate receipts from Leinster SHC and Walsh Cup games involving Galway between 2009 and 2015, the county pocketed less than €130,000.

"This issue is secondary to securing more meaningful games for our minor and U21's, but it has to be pointed out that we received only 4% of the total figure of gate receipts since we joined Leinster.

"We play an awful lot of games in Tullamore and 10% of the gate goes to the Offaly County Board under the heading 'field grant'. The amount of money we are contributing to Offaly and Laois, because we do play in O'Moore Park too, is no doubt helping those counties develop and invest. We don't have that luxury. We are not getting meaningful competitive games yet by competing in Leinster, we are swelling the coffers of Leinster Council and the counties whose venues we play at."

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 10/09/2017 10:38:09    2044557

Link

i think you will find kilkenny have played in thurles twice in the last 2 years at least....

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 10/09/2017 11:00:57    2044566

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "i think you will find kilkenny have played in thurles twice in the last 2 years at least...."
What's your point? Sure KK is much closer to Thurles than it is to Wexford Park.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 10/09/2017 11:20:32    2044572

Link

To meet the needs of posterity let us not forget the great final we had, and a great week of celebration that passed off safely and graciously. Hopefully young hurlers in both counties and all over will be inspired.

suckvalleypaddy (Galway) - Posts: 1667 - 10/09/2017 13:09:58    2044606

Link

Replying To baire:  "Re mooncat and the present structures:
"I have been going to KK championship matches since the 60s and I can count on 1 hand the home games KK had,also I think gate money goes to Central Council, no loss to Galway there". mooncat

KK rarely have to play a championship game outside of their own province. If they do it's usually in Thurles which is just down the road from KK".

"We play an awful lot of games in Tullamore and 10% of the gate goes to the Offaly County Board under the heading 'field grant'. The amount of money we are contributing to Offaly and Laois, because we do play in O'Moore Park too, is no doubt helping those counties develop and invest. We don't have that luxury. We are not getting meaningful competitive games yet by competing in Leinster, we are swelling the coffers of Leinster Council and the counties whose venues we play at.""
Baire,Galway play in the Leinster championship,I can understand your complaint but as I have pointed out the gate receipts do not go to the counties,you get expenses,in 2015 Galway got 34,890 and KK got 19,085,to give the players more competition Galway are playing in Leinster so if you were still in Connacht how much income would you have,Tulamore is not that far from Galway,another point is do you think it would be fair for a Wexford supporter from the far south of the county to go to Salthill or a Galway supporter to go to Wexford,it would be a long and expensive day,

mooncat (Kilkenny) - Posts: 533 - 10/09/2017 15:52:42    2044637

Link

Replying To mooncat:  "Baire,Galway play in the Leinster championship,I can understand your complaint but as I have pointed out the gate receipts do not go to the counties,you get expenses,in 2015 Galway got 34,890 and KK got 19,085,to give the players more competition Galway are playing in Leinster so if you were still in Connacht how much income would you have,Tulamore is not that far from Galway,another point is do you think it would be fair for a Wexford supporter from the far south of the county to go to Salthill or a Galway supporter to go to Wexford,it would be a long and expensive day,"
I met lots of Wexford supporters in Salthill at this year's league game and they had a great time, loved Galway they said! It looks like KK supporters think Thurles is long distance since so few of them bothered to turn up for the U21 final.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 11/09/2017 08:57:50    2044793

Link

Replying To baire:  "I met lots of Wexford supporters in Salthill at this year's league game and they had a great time, loved Galway they said! It looks like KK supporters think Thurles is long distance since so few of them bothered to turn up for the U21 final."
Last Sat has nothing to do with your demand for home games ,as I have already said KK dont get home games,Galway asked to come into the Leinster championship which I fully agree with,you play the matches in Leinster,

mooncat (Kilkenny) - Posts: 533 - 11/09/2017 19:32:08    2045045

Link

Replying To baire:  "What's your point? Sure KK is much closer to Thurles than it is to Wexford Park."
It all depends what part of kilkenny you are from, Kilkenny goes down as far as the bridge in Newross Thurles is nearer for North Kilkenny.

johnwhite12 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 306 - 11/09/2017 22:08:56    2045086

Link

Replying To mooncat:  "Last Sat has nothing to do with your demand for home games ,as I have already said KK dont get home games,Galway asked to come into the Leinster championship which I fully agree with,you play the matches in Leinster,"
Get your facts right, Galway were asked to enter the Leinster championship at a time when KK had won something like 10 or 11 Leinster finals in a row, when Cody's total dominance was leaving KK with no proper preparation for the ASF & when the Leinster championship had become a total bore due to its predictably.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 12/09/2017 11:38:27    2045187

Link