National Forum

Ban the crowding out of the man with the ball

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I think the mark was introduced to try and cut down on players fielding the ball from the kickout and being surrounded.

Its up to players to have the awareness to not to run into a blind alley and have no idea what they are going to do once they need to offload the pass until its too late.

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 898 - 09/08/2017 15:57:35    2031653

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "Making all the pitches bigger is the simple solution!!????

What?"
Or have a size restriction for defenders.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 09/08/2017 16:05:42    2031659

Link

Why not just penalize the defenders for surrounding the player? Or if there is any contact by 2 or more players at the same time then blow against them straight away? It is ridiculous the number of anomalies there are in enforcing the rules of football.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 09/08/2017 16:32:34    2031674

Link

Replying To KY4SAM2015:  "I think the mark was introduced to try and cut down on players fielding the ball from the kickout and being surrounded.

Its up to players to have the awareness to not to run into a blind alley and have no idea what they are going to do once they need to offload the pass until its too late."
100% agree.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 09/08/2017 16:36:56    2031677

Link

Played a lot of football in my day and great and enjoyable game but lacking as a spectacle to the neutral... im no expert but surly a few tweaks to the rules would go a long way to make this great game easy on the eye.... no two man tack

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 550 - 09/08/2017 16:45:55    2031688

Link

Played a lot of football in my day and great and enjoyable game but lacking as a spectacle to the neutral... im no expert but surly a few tweaks to the rules would go a long way to make this great game easy on the eye.... no two man tackle and maximum of three hand passes in a row?????? Simple but effective..
Would not like to see return to catch and kick in hope but football needs to be more positive

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 550 - 09/08/2017 16:49:16    2031691

Link

Played a lot of football in my day and great and enjoyable game but lacking as a spectacle to the neutral... im no expert but surly a few tweaks to the rules would go a long way to make this great game easy on the eye.... no two man tackle and maximum of three hand passes in a row?????? Simple but effective..
Would not like to see return to catch and kick in hope but football needs to be more positive

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 550 - 09/08/2017 16:49:41    2031692

Link

Replying To IrishGael3:  "100% agree."
in fairness to players with the blanket defenses in operation the surrounding of players is going to be a feature of every game don't think its the quality of the modern player that is causing this. they are no better or worse than previous generations just the fitness levels have gone through the roof

tom80 (Kildare) - Posts: 8 - 09/08/2017 16:54:12    2031694

Link

They'll want keepers banned next

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 09/08/2017 16:54:21    2031695

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "Played a lot of football in my day and great and enjoyable game but lacking as a spectacle to the neutral... im no expert but surly a few tweaks to the rules would go a long way to make this great game easy on the eye.... no two man tackle and maximum of three hand passes in a row?????? Simple but effective..
Would not like to see return to catch and kick in hope but football needs to be more positive"
I agree but I don't have any sympathy for a player who receives a hand past being crowded out and penalised for holding the ball

crikey (Australia) - Posts: 355 - 09/08/2017 21:20:51    2031768

Link

Replying To tom80:  "yeah the 13 men might work and easier to implement,but then be less playing time for lads. definitely think the a score outside the 40m worth two would have an immediate impact"
Decent idea in theory

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 10/08/2017 00:02:40    2031810

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "Played a lot of football in my day and great and enjoyable game but lacking as a spectacle to the neutral... im no expert but surly a few tweaks to the rules would go a long way to make this great game easy on the eye.... no two man tackle and maximum of three hand passes in a row?????? Simple but effective..
Would not like to see return to catch and kick in hope but football needs to be more positive"
I think it's quite simple at least to try out.

13 players sounds like a good idea. With maybe a maximum of two players tackling at once. I like the idea of a two point score from out far like a poster here said. Not just to open the defence but a good shooter should get rewarded for far out shots like basketball. Plus it has the bonus of forcing defences to push up rather than sit back if the opposition has a decent distance shot taker.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 10/08/2017 00:07:24    2031814

Link

Maximum of 3 handpasses in a row? That is not simple of effective. This line about wanting to see a return to catch and kick is nonsense. Go watch the games from 30 or 40 years ago when there was more catch and kick as you say, the games were pretty poor in standard. I agree with you on the 2/3 man tackle when a player can't release the ball but still gets penalised. I think our games are in pretty good shape, the problem we have is the top 4 teams this year were able to show how far ahead they are when it really mattered. It is the structures I have a problem with, not the standard.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7885 - 10/08/2017 08:43:40    2031831

Link

I don't think limiting handpasses would help this particular "problem" (if it is an actual problem). There would be even more of an incentive given to teams to crowd the player who has just received the "third" handpass! There's too much romanticism about the past - I saw a clip of a Kerry-Galway final from the 60s recently (1966?) and the standard was very poor. Inaccurate kicking, poor shooting, bad tackling were all very evident in the highlights. Today's football is far superior.
If we really want a big change, then moving to 13 a side has many more advantages for the game as a whole - more room to deal with modern fitness standards, beneficial for smaller clubs, putting a premium on accurate passing into space...

football first (None) - Posts: 1259 - 10/08/2017 09:57:39    2031859

Link