National Forum

Benefits top 4 teams enjoy

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

People go on about 'the top 4' like they are set in stone. It evolves over time, Galway, Meath and Armagh used to be top teams, now they're not. Same for Cork.. same for Donegal... Tyrone were even off the boil there for a number of years but now they're back.

The only real constant in last 25 years has been Kerry. I think Dublin will be a constant from now on. If those two pull away entirely from everyone else for a sustained period, then we will have real problems.

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 293 - 08/08/2017 16:45:21    2031159

Link

Replying To BlastCalyle:  "All the small changes favour the big teams

Back Door - improves the chances a big team will win the AI
Black card - not that big a deal to a team with a deeper panel
6 subs - great if you have 6 great players on the bench
Super 8 - A big team can get to last 8, lose a game and still win AI

One change I think i would make to help level the playing field a little would be to go back to 3 subs. That would also increase significance of a black card."
3 subs? I am not even going to start listing all the reasons why that is daft!

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7891 - 08/08/2017 16:46:02    2031160

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "I've had loads of meals delivered to me, Chinese, Indian, Pizzas etc. Never improved my substandard footballing abilities...."
It probably didn't improve you football skills,probably helped with pulling the women of Mayo instead!!

golfcar (Roscommon) - Posts: 60 - 08/08/2017 17:32:05    2031192

Link

Replying To golfcar:  "P Spillane commented yesterday on all county's spending huge amounts on inter county teams which I believe is true but I think the top 4 are now at professional levels of preparation , Mayo have a top class S&C although probably with Mayo before joining Arsenal(this shows how will thought off he is) & Dublin players have meals delivered to them,these teams are now at new levels and now makes it impossible almost for outside teams to compete"
You should have ordered more Chinese takeaways for your team instead of buying a big yellow bus.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4700 - 08/08/2017 17:46:15    2031199

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "People go on about 'the top 4' like they are set in stone. It evolves over time, Galway, Meath and Armagh used to be top teams, now they're not. Same for Cork.. same for Donegal... Tyrone were even off the boil there for a number of years but now they're back.

The only real constant in last 25 years has been Kerry. I think Dublin will be a constant from now on. If those two pull away entirely from everyone else for a sustained period, then we will have real problems."
Thanks, it always cheers me up when someone posts something sensible on here.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4224 - 08/08/2017 17:52:58    2031207

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "People go on about 'the top 4' like they are set in stone. It evolves over time, Galway, Meath and Armagh used to be top teams, now they're not. Same for Cork.. same for Donegal... Tyrone were even off the boil there for a number of years but now they're back.

The only real constant in last 25 years has been Kerry. I think Dublin will be a constant from now on. If those two pull away entirely from everyone else for a sustained period, then we will have real problems."
Kerry are no danger to 'pull away' as you term it

We just don't have the population or economics to do so........

AgainstTheOdds (Kerry) - Posts: 47 - 08/08/2017 18:14:43    2031218

Link

Replying To DUBJOHN:  "You can bring in the best back room team ever assembled and all kinds of mind and s and c gurus but if you haven't got good players to start off with its not going to make much of a difference ! To use that old expression (courtesy of my granny) you can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear !"
But Dublin in particular can keep the good players, cause of the perks. Other counties cannot

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 08/08/2017 18:34:30    2031232

Link

Replying To AgainstTheOdds:  "Kerry are no danger to 'pull away' as you term it

We just don't have the population or economics to do so........"
Managed perfectly fine with a similar population for decades. Now you're no longer top of the pile all of a sudden population is an issue. Interesting.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 08/08/2017 18:41:11    2031236

Link

Replying To Joxer:  "You should have ordered more Chinese takeaways for your team instead of buying a big yellow bus."
Glad to see spiteful comments still exist in modern Ireland,that bus was got as part of a cost saving investment, small business contribute to the yearly running of the bus which helps reduce the financial burden on the county board, unfortunately we cannot employ a marketing officer or obtain large sponsorship deals from large insurance companies

golfcar (Roscommon) - Posts: 60 - 08/08/2017 18:52:14    2031242

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "Managed perfectly fine with a similar population for decades. Now you're no longer top of the pile all of a sudden population is an issue. Interesting."
While Kerry GAA is in rude health the Kerryman does have a point. Relatively speaking Kerry are losing their position in the population rankings. Historically they would have been closer to top 5 in terms of population. Now they are starting to edge towards the wrong side of the 10 mark. There is a huge shift in population to the Leinster region.

Hardtimes (Cavan) - Posts: 1056 - 08/08/2017 19:24:34    2031257

Link

Hopefully next year the league will help the likes of galway kildare and monaghan to close the gap.we also need counties like meath cork down and donegal to improve if football is ever going to go back to glory days

tjcentrehalfbak (Galway) - Posts: 28 - 08/08/2017 19:32:06    2031259

Link

Replying To golfcar:  "Glad to see spiteful comments still exist in modern Ireland,that bus was got as part of a cost saving investment, small business contribute to the yearly running of the bus which helps reduce the financial burden on the county board, unfortunately we cannot employ a marketing officer or obtain large sponsorship deals from large insurance companies"
Oh booooo hooo. Would you like a euro to buy a cup of tea?

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 08/08/2017 19:46:11    2031266

Link

Replying To golfcar:  "It probably didn't improve you football skills,probably helped with pulling the women of Mayo instead!!"
Maybe your lads were at home pulling when they should've been preparing for yesterday? Just one suggestion as to why you were obliterated so pathetically yesterday?

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 08/08/2017 19:49:06    2031268

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Not having a pop at you I am just saying the attitude has totally changed. Roscommon spent well over a million last year, where is the imbalance there? Years and years they keep talking about underage teams and give them a couple of years etc etc. This Roscommon team is no better than any team since 06."
The imbalance is in the playing resources and is exemplified when injuries/defections occur.

This Roscommon team is better than any since 06 as playing in div 1 and winning a Connacht title against Galway and being a kick of a ball from an All Ireland semi last week would certainly testify too. One bad capitulation against a very good side doesn't change that.

How fickle sport is If we had got the winner from that last attack Rochford would have been ran out of the gate similarly against Cork.

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 08/08/2017 20:04:22    2031275

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "Managed perfectly fine with a similar population for decades. Now you're no longer top of the pile all of a sudden population is an issue. Interesting."
Well when our young people are leaving in their droves due to severe lack of jobs and more and more clubs are being forced to amalgamate then yes population and economy are serious hazards to the future of Kerry Football....

AgainstTheOdds (Kerry) - Posts: 47 - 08/08/2017 20:06:05    2031276

Link

Replying To salvador:  "The imbalance is in the playing resources and is exemplified when injuries/defections occur.

This Roscommon team is better than any since 06 as playing in div 1 and winning a Connacht title against Galway and being a kick of a ball from an All Ireland semi last week would certainly testify too. One bad capitulation against a very good side doesn't change that.

How fickle sport is If we had got the winner from that last attack Rochford would have been ran out of the gate similarly against Cork."
Fickle? Yes maybe but again I am responding to the shift in tone from your countymen. Confidence has changed to looking at the imbalance, it's nonsense. The Rossies are spending a fortune. Time will tell but I honestly don't see this Roscommon making any breakthrough in Croker any time soon. I'll say it again as I have done previously, Roscommon fans are quick to proclaim a young bunch of players as the new breakthrough team, they have been doing that since the minor team in 06, but are no further down the road. Harsh but true.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7891 - 08/08/2017 21:00:10    2031299

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Fickle? Yes maybe but again I am responding to the shift in tone from your countymen. Confidence has changed to looking at the imbalance, it's nonsense. The Rossies are spending a fortune. Time will tell but I honestly don't see this Roscommon making any breakthrough in Croker any time soon. I'll say it again as I have done previously, Roscommon fans are quick to proclaim a young bunch of players as the new breakthrough team, they have been doing that since the minor team in 06, but are no further down the road. Harsh but true."
Shouldn't really gauge any situation by HS posts I know but not harsh at all from what I've read on here. If you talk the talk and you're buried alive.............

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 08/08/2017 21:34:28    2031317

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "Fickle? Yes maybe but again I am responding to the shift in tone from your countymen. Confidence has changed to looking at the imbalance, it's nonsense. The Rossies are spending a fortune. Time will tell but I honestly don't see this Roscommon making any breakthrough in Croker any time soon. I'll say it again as I have done previously, Roscommon fans are quick to proclaim a young bunch of players as the new breakthrough team, they have been doing that since the minor team in 06, but are no further down the road. Harsh but true."
A competitive Connacht final performance was the most that was expected this year. Last few years in championship have been dire so expectations and confidence were minimal. But sure generalise away and have your smug dig all the same.

We'll keep coming back for more.

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 08/08/2017 22:07:32    2031343

Link

Replying To salvador:  "A competitive Connacht final performance was the most that was expected this year. Last few years in championship have been dire so expectations and confidence were minimal. But sure generalise away and have your smug dig all the same.

We'll keep coming back for more."
Look at the posts on here recently. A competitive provincial performance was all that was expected from the supporters you say? Sorry but if you read the posts on here recently that is not the case. They all came out in force again talking about this is an up and coming team ready to displace an old Mayo team. I have been listening for years and years about underage success in Roscommon but there actually hasn't been anything really. And here we are again talking about the potential of an up and coming Roscommon team. Same story every few years.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7891 - 08/08/2017 22:20:27    2031347

Link

Dublin have been relatively consistent Maybe a little less95-2011ish but through history they have been( but not as much as Kerry obviously)

Mayo are also somewhat consistent. They've been losing All-Ireland frequently since the mid 90's and have been in the top 3/4 more years than not in the last 15

Tyrone maybe somewhat the last 15 years on and off.

The population issue should actually help the counties outisde of Dublin too. The Dublin hinterlands continue to grow.. Then why are the Kildares/Meaths not challenging? As Dublin grows and rent prices do likewise more and more people will be settling outside of Dublin rather than in it.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 08/08/2017 22:33:45    2031350

Link