National Forum

Kerry v Mayo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheUsername:  "Congrats to both teams for serving up two fine games.

Congrats to Mayo, will take some stopping in a final depending on who get through.

Kerry won't need anyone to tell them how to pick the bones out of today, so I wouldn't leave the bot in, there will be plenty of soul searching down in the south west this long winter.

I wonder will Donaghey go another year now? Be awful if the actions we saw at the end of the game today were his last in a Kerry jersey in Croke Park.

Wonder will Darren O Sullivan face further sanction for his behaviour toward the linesman when he was leaving the field."
I wonder will Donaghey go another year now? Be awful if the actions we saw at the end of the game today were his last in a Kerry jersey in Croke Park.

Zinedine Zidane but not quite :D
It was the worst thing he could have done, seems like a decent skin but when you look at the pictures of himself and O'Shea smiling walking off the pitch together last week, it doesn't argue well for his sincerity and big Aidan is not a boyo so to speak.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8589 - 26/08/2017 21:35:09    2038302

Link

Here's some reasoning why i have mentioned Kerry have been cynical at many times during their footballing history. As have a lot of counties may i add. But Kerry's has been swept under the rug because they had the most skilled players aswell.

Here's two snippets from a Martin Breheny article in 2013..

'In 1946, Antrim sought to have the result of the All-Ireland football semi-final overturned on the basis that Kerry had used rough-house tactics which brought the GAA into disrepute.
Antrim, who lost by three points, were incensed by what they regarded as blatant cynicism, taken to the extreme by Kerry. Antrim had used a slick, hand-passing game to win the Ulster title but Kerry put plans in place to disrupt their creative opponents, who were making their first championship visit to Croke Park for 33 years. Basically, Kerry fouled their way to success and later admitted it.

"When you went to tackle an Antrim man, he passed to a waiting colleague and moved on for a return pass. The only counter to this was to take the man getting the return pass and put your arms around him and hold him as the ball came to him," explained Kerry centre-forward Paddy Kennedy in an interview many years later.'

'If Kerry found themselves facing the wrath of Antrim in 1946, they had some experience of it from earlier years too. In 1926, Kildare were furious with Kerry over the manner in which star player Larry Stanley was dealt with in the All-Ireland final replay and 11 years later, Laois were convinced that 'Boy Wonder' Tommy Murphy had been targeted for special attention by Kerry in the All-Ireland semi-final replay.

Murphy, playing senior football at the age of 16, was knocked out at a time when Laois were two points ahead. They lost by a point.'

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 26/08/2017 21:51:49    2038311

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "Here's some reasoning why i have mentioned Kerry have been cynical at many times during their footballing history. As have a lot of counties may i add. But Kerry's has been swept under the rug because they had the most skilled players aswell.

Here's two snippets from a Martin Breheny article in 2013..

'In 1946, Antrim sought to have the result of the All-Ireland football semi-final overturned on the basis that Kerry had used rough-house tactics which brought the GAA into disrepute.
Antrim, who lost by three points, were incensed by what they regarded as blatant cynicism, taken to the extreme by Kerry. Antrim had used a slick, hand-passing game to win the Ulster title but Kerry put plans in place to disrupt their creative opponents, who were making their first championship visit to Croke Park for 33 years. Basically, Kerry fouled their way to success and later admitted it.

"When you went to tackle an Antrim man, he passed to a waiting colleague and moved on for a return pass. The only counter to this was to take the man getting the return pass and put your arms around him and hold him as the ball came to him," explained Kerry centre-forward Paddy Kennedy in an interview many years later.'

'If Kerry found themselves facing the wrath of Antrim in 1946, they had some experience of it from earlier years too. In 1926, Kildare were furious with Kerry over the manner in which star player Larry Stanley was dealt with in the All-Ireland final replay and 11 years later, Laois were convinced that 'Boy Wonder' Tommy Murphy had been targeted for special attention by Kerry in the All-Ireland semi-final replay.

Murphy, playing senior football at the age of 16, was knocked out at a time when Laois were two points ahead. They lost by a point.'"
Jaysus man your having a field day this evening when your numerous anti Kerry posts after our loss today, give it a break til the morning.

KY4SAM2015 (Kerry) - Posts: 898 - 26/08/2017 21:58:41    2038317

Link

Heartiest congratulations Mayo thourly deserved hopefully it will be a West double long overdue.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 26/08/2017 22:11:44    2038324

Link

Replying To KY4SAM2015:  "Jaysus man your having a field day this evening when your numerous anti Kerry posts after our loss today, give it a break til the morning."
There's no time like the present KY4SAM2015.

Just the attempts to rough up Mayo today, Donaghy's carry on, Mayo being robbed in 2014 has me revved up.

Kerry have always traditionally had the purest footballers, but along with that came a cynicism. I just want to point that out, that they were no different than the Dubs in 1983, Tyrone, Armagh 10 yrs ago etc.

When people talk about Meath 1986-1991 they'll always say they were fond of high elbows etc. But Kerry of 1975-86 are the greatest team to ever play the game, with no qualifications. I remember Pat Spillane rolling around like he was shot in nearly every game he played, long before Tiernan McCann of Tyrone.

Look Kerry gave us some of the greatest footballers and being the week of the Rose of Tralee i think the following analogy is apt. Every Rose has it's Thorn!!

I'm very fond of the Kerry people. But they're teams should be judged like every other county in the media.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 26/08/2017 22:20:42    2038330

Link

Look to the Kerry posters i've annoyed i'll put this another way.

I think ye're hardy people. I often thought myself that the Civil War (Knocknagoshel, Ballyseedy etc) toughened the Kerry people way beyond the relaxed attitude that would be in a county like Laois for example. They're football teams were an example of that. The pragmatism of men from both sides of the divide coming together for the good of Kerry football. The desire to win and win pretty or ugly. God i wish Laois had that in the dna.

Also the Dublin rivalry kinda stemmed from this period as the Free State army, mostly Dublin troops brutally put down the republican side in Kerry. For older Kerry people this played a part in the Dublin/Kerry football rivalry.

ttbwhacker (Carlow) - Posts: 57 - 26/08/2017 22:49:49    2038356

Link

Look to the Kerry posters i've annoyed i'll put this another way.

I think ye're hardy people. I often thought myself that the Civil War (Knocknagoshel, Ballyseedy etc) toughened the Kerry people way beyond the relaxed attitude that would be in a county like Laois for example. They're football teams were an example of that. The pragmatism of men from both sides of the divide coming together for the good of Kerry football. The desire to win and win pretty or ugly. God i wish Laois had that in the dna.

Also the Dublin rivalry kinda stemmed from this period as the Free State army, mostly Dublin troops brutally put down the republican side in Kerry. For older Kerry people this played a part in the Dublin/Kerry football rivalry.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 26/08/2017 22:51:01    2038357

Link

Replying To centerfield:  "Funny it wouldn't surprise me if Dublin are doing the destroying tomorrow"
would that be because you don't want to face tyrone in the final???

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 26/08/2017 22:58:01    2038362

Link

Replying To ttbwhacker:  "Look to the Kerry posters i've annoyed i'll put this another way.

Also the Dublin rivalry kinda stemmed from this period as the Free State army, mostly Dublin troops brutally put down the republican side in Kerry. For older Kerry people this played a part in the Dublin/Kerry football rivalry."
ttbwhacker either you can read my mind or there's some mix up.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 26/08/2017 23:01:41    2038365

Link

Replying To ttbwhacker:  "Look to the Kerry posters i've annoyed i'll put this another way.

Also the Dublin rivalry kinda stemmed from this period as the Free State army, mostly Dublin troops brutally put down the republican side in Kerry. For older Kerry people this played a part in the Dublin/Kerry football rivalry."
I didn't post this but it's interesting!

ttbwhacker (Carlow) - Posts: 57 - 26/08/2017 23:03:01    2038366

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "ttbwhacker either you can read my mind or there's some mix up."
I'm just a simple scallion ater dunno much about the civil war

ttbwhacker (Carlow) - Posts: 57 - 26/08/2017 23:07:15    2038368

Link

Well done Mayo fully deserved victory, truth be told they were the better team both days, have to finish the job this year now, can they lose another final? I don't know if the Mayo fans could take another final flop. Going to be along winter in the Kingdom, don't think we'll see Fitz or Star again.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2746 - 26/08/2017 23:12:36    2038373

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "Look to the Kerry posters i've annoyed i'll put this another way.

Haha

Stung!!!

No wonder you've so many likes..

Green thumbing ur own posts!!

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 26/08/2017 23:23:50    2038378

Link

Replying To ttbwhacker:  "I didn't post this but it's interesting!"
Laois 76 how many HoganStand accounts have you man?

It's hard to take you serious now kid.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 26/08/2017 23:26:08    2038381

Link

Prediction good so far. . Hope I'm wro ng and Dublin get bet the f out of croker but can't see it ..hope I'm as wrong as I can be... I'm calling a Mayo all-Ireland. Never would but they looked special today, fouls and all. Kerry bet out the gate.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 27/08/2017 00:22:33    2038403

Link

Replying To bulmccabe:  "would that be because you don't want to face tyrone in the final???"
they wont be playing tyrone in the final lol....

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2837 - 27/08/2017 00:51:05    2038410

Link

Replying To breakingball22:  "Went to the game as a neutral today and it was great viewing. Players putting bodies on the lines for their cause and surprising composure by Mayo when they had Kerry on the rack. Kerry set out to up the physical stakes from the start. Each one of there defenders tried to rough up their opposing forward before the opening whistle. I'd imagine this was to test Mayo's underbelly. Unfortunately for them, Mayo were not found wanting and if anything they were fired up by it.

Also, despite players making it difficult for him, the ref was very good. He blew so many frees in the first 15 mins because Kerry were pulling and dragging their men off the ball and he was switched on to it. He has had a few dodgy performances in games but I think this was not one.

Finally, I would say that there ain't too much love for Donaghy here and his punch was thuggish but if he retires it is a disappointing way for him to finish. I thought that he showed leadership today when many others didn't. The jeering of him was annoying because this isn't bloody soccer and mayo fans generally have more class than that. Apart from that the mayo support was fantastic."
Majority of Mayo fans never had class.

Lifford Gael (Donegal) - Posts: 1925 - 27/08/2017 01:26:02    2038411

Link

Replying To KK1926:  "Fellas lining up here to kick Kerry when they are down. Where were ye at 1pm today? Cheap shots.

I'm used to it when Kilkenny lose."
Agree Classic Irish ignorant mentality

RAHKILL (Westmeath) - Posts: 395 - 27/08/2017 03:19:53    2038419

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Haha

Stung!!!

No wonder you've so many likes..

Green thumbing ur own posts!!"
Jesus you got him there. I thought he had his own fan base on here , with all the likes. It seems it's just split personality:)

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 27/08/2017 07:24:50    2038438

Link

Don't know if it's been said yet but by God Colm Boyle was phenomenal yesterday.

Mayo's room for improvement from the 1st day was Keegan, Mcloughlin and a sweeper. They showed vast improvement in all 3 areas.

Thought Fitzmaurice played into Mayo's hands by not starting JOD in a 3 man FF line.

Whoever wins today, they'd almost certainly have rather faced Kerry in the final. There's a few men on that mayo team who look like they'd rather die than let another all ireland get away from them!

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5012 - 27/08/2017 07:55:31    2038439

Link