National Forum

Adrian Tuohy

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

The biggest - and most important - difference between the two incidents is that De Burca got a red card during the match, Tuohy didn't.

As such, De Burca received an automatic one match suspension, and on appeal had/has to produce evidence that the offence did not occur (wasn't deliberate).

As Tuohy wasn't sent off during the match, should the CCCC decide to look into that incident they would have to take the view that the footage clearly showed that the offence was committed (i.e. that Tuohy deliberately interfered with the helmet) if they are to hand down a suspension.

game.on.now.ger (Galway) - Posts: 423 - 07/08/2017 15:28:40    2030303

Link

Any game, incident etc can only be looked at in isolation.
And fact is the only basis, TDB incident was flagged by the same linesman and deemed deliberate, result red card as per rules (which was unfair yes but the match officials made a call based on what they seen)

Match officials yesterday did not flag yesterdays "incident" which in no way can be seen as a deliberate foul (considering Adrian Tuohy was facing away from Bonner.

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 257 - 07/08/2017 15:34:18    2030307

Link

Haven't seen the incident but lads missed all Ireland's for less.
Brian O Meara in 2001 missed a final for a wee jab contest with Liam Dunne.
Not saying players should be immune but if rules are broken yes suspend the player if clear violation but by all accounts Tuohy should be fine and I hope he doesn't miss the final.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 07/08/2017 15:48:09    2030331

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Killarney how is the rule a joke?
To deliberately interfere with an opponents helmet is a red card offence and rightly so. Its dangerous. Obviously it can happen by accident during the rough and tumble of hectic play, helmets can get caught up in jerseys, other helmets, arms, legs etc but when someone deliberately grabs the faceguard of another they have full control over that players head and can cause serious injury"
Any rule that can't be interpreted is a joke.

Look at that mess of a rule called the black card. You could easily find 100 examples of when it should and shouldn't have been given.

The danger is the helmet one will go down the same road where lads will get wrongly punished and others will get off when they shouldn't.

I don't buy the argument that Tuohy didn't mean it cos he was looking the other way. He must have no sense of feel left in his fingers so if he doesn't know what a helmet feels like. Before half Galway leap on top of me, I don't think it was a red.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 07/08/2017 15:51:21    2030334

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "what is good for the goose is good for the gander!!!! cant let touhy away with this just because hes training hard bless him. automatic ban has to be given down, its not rocket science"
No ban is automatic unless the offence is proven. You would have Tuohy banned before a charge has even been brought. He should not be banned because there is no way to prove it was deliberate. De Burca is very unlucky because he was reported by the linesman and procedure was followed by the referee . De Burca has to prove the officials wrong. Because RTE did not have cameras on that side of the field De Burca does not have video footage of sufficient quality to disprove the charge. Your childish argument that Tuohy should be banned just because De Burca has been wrongly treated is ridiculous.

Greengrass (Louth) - Posts: 6031 - 07/08/2017 16:12:36    2030380

Link

Touhy innocent until proven otherwise

maroondiesel (Mayo) - Posts: 1196 - 07/08/2017 16:21:38    2030400

Link

I now look forward to the Sunday Game reviewing every single game in micro-detail to identify every single infringement be they intentional, unintentional or technical, that were missed by the match officials.

The fact that this witch hunt, for that is what it is, was allegedly initiated by fans from counties that have a chance at playing Galway in the final is laughable.

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 3097 - 07/08/2017 21:23:04    2030620

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "all the pundits saying touhys far worse than de burca. fact."
on what basis are you saying that,considering nobody seen the tdb incident?

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 07/08/2017 21:42:10    2030633

Link

I really hope this bull blows over , making mountains out of molehill. Its bad enough that one of the best players this year will not be on show this Sunday because of similar nonsense.

Bon (Kildare) - Posts: 1908 - 07/08/2017 22:07:24    2030650

Link

As I said on another thread I've no sour grapes over the result or the refereeing and kelly could not have clearly seen the incident.
Having said that the gaa have set the precedent now so Tuohy is 100% certain to get a ban.
It's a completely unnatural thing to do to grab a faceguard and he made two or three clear attempts to get a grip of it. Theball was in front of him so why did he reach behind?
Don't underestimate how big of a loss he will be for the final.
Ps I think it's a silly rule tbh

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 07/08/2017 23:42:20    2030712

Link

Good man loughnanne for bringing up this.

bud14 (Galway) - Posts: 296 - 07/08/2017 23:57:04    2030720

Link

Replying To game.on.now.ger:  "The biggest - and most important - difference between the two incidents is that De Burca got a red card during the match, Tuohy didn't.

As such, De Burca received an automatic one match suspension, and on appeal had/has to produce evidence that the offence did not occur (wasn't deliberate).

As Tuohy wasn't sent off during the match, should the CCCC decide to look into that incident they would have to take the view that the footage clearly showed that the offence was committed (i.e. that Tuohy deliberately interfered with the helmet) if they are to hand down a suspension."
Judge not and you shall not be judged.
It's a good job you're only a junior judge.

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1791 - 08/08/2017 00:20:40    2030730

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "all the pundits saying touhys far worse than de burca. fact."
Name a pundit that said that .I certainly didn't hear anyone say it.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 08/08/2017 08:39:35    2030770

Link

Absolutely nothing in this whatsoever. Next time i play a hurling match im going to follow my opponents hand with my head and have him interefere with my helmet.

Straight red and a ban. Happy Days. LOL.

Can common sense please prevail here for the love of god.

AustinGleeson6 (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 08/08/2017 08:56:18    2030773

Link

All the pundits?
Name one who said it.
Are we going to have fans going over every incident in every game looking for something to get prospective opponents banned?
A Waterford man starting a thread like this is just a little bit sad to be honest.

Barnowl94 (Galway) - Posts: 3150 - 08/08/2017 09:37:05    2030804

Link

Can you prove that this is a 'fact'? Saying "fact "at the end of a sentence doesn't make it one.

I didn't hear a single pundit saying this incident was worse than De Burca's.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 08/08/2017 10:06:10    2030824

Link

I didn't hear a single analyst say there was anything in it, let alone worse than the De Burca incident!
There is no case whatsoever here, the linesman seen what happened with Da Burca, and told the referee based on what he saw.
No way Touhy will get a ban here, he was running away from the player and he put his hand back over his head and the players helmet opened. He did not grab the faceguard even. The helmet just opened.
Get over it. Move on.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 08/08/2017 10:54:52    2030859

Link

To me both incidents do not deserves players being banned. The De Burca case to me shows a very poor understanding of the game and more importantly a poor application of the rule. Similarly with the Tuohy incident. Why if the same linesman for both incidents - did he not get involved on Sunday as the incident happened during the play and report to the referee?

I think the GAA have made a serious boo boo and De Burca should be given a clean slate. Over zealousness of application of rules within a contact sport is not good practice in general.

To me the GAA could clear up the entire situation and issue a clearer directive on what exactly and in what circumstances constitutes the infraction.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1821 - 08/08/2017 13:41:12    2031012

Link

When will we know if there will be something mad out of this?

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 257 - 08/08/2017 16:14:52    2031136

Link

Can Sunday please hurry up and come so Cork can beat Waterford? Then we can all enjoy a good final with two actual hurling teams left. Im sick of listening to Waterford people on here.

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 08/08/2017 16:35:38    2031151

Link