National Forum

Tadhg De Burca's red card

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

https://twitter.com/henrymartin1/status/889805812541030404?s=09

over35hurler (Cork) - Posts: 36 - 06/08/2017 20:14:39    2029901

Link

Replying To festinog:  "It's a tough one, but unfortunately intent, etc. has nothing to do with it. I'm guessing the GAA were very deliberate (maybe I'm giving them too much credit!) when they made this rule as harsh as they did, with no shades of grey. No-one needs lecturing about the dangers of neck injury and the intent seems simple to me: mess or touch with another players helmet, no matter what, is a red card with the hope that this become inculcated in the player culture to the point where this kind of incident just stops.

But the previous poster is correct: for this kind of culture to develop, the GAA have to be ruthless and consistent in its application, or they're just wasting their time.

(At this point I could point out the difference in treatment a certain Dublin footballer got, versus a certain inter-county hurling manager when it comes to their interaction with sideline officials... wouldn't consistency be a lovely thing?)"
with all due respects and not defending what went on between Cody and the offical its comletely different with helmet interference,

mooncat (Kilkenny) - Posts: 533 - 06/08/2017 20:37:24    2029915

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "the galway no.2 ripped off tipp mans helmet today in the beginning of the game...tipp were up 3 points to 1. tipp player highlighted this to the referee, nada, nothing, niente...and it was clear as crystal as cameraman had zoomed in close. no consistency with the GAA. how can tadgh be banned and this galway player not be?"
He might well end up with a retrospective ban since TSG went out of their way to highlight it tonight.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 06/08/2017 22:48:43    2029973

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "the galway no.2 ripped off tipp mans helmet today in the beginning of the game...tipp were up 3 points to 1. tipp player highlighted this to the referee, nada, nothing, niente...and it was clear as crystal as cameraman had zoomed in close. no consistency with the GAA. how can tadgh be banned and this galway player not be?"
Because Da Burca did it right in front of the linesman whose word we should take?
Touhy was running away from the ball and put his hand back over the players head from what I seen. I do have to look at Sunday Game again however, but I think there was no intent there.

Pinkie (Wexford) - Posts: 4100 - 07/08/2017 11:53:48    2030158

Link

Replying To Pinkie:  "Because Da Burca did it right in front of the linesman whose word we should take?
Touhy was running away from the ball and put his hand back over the players head from what I seen. I do have to look at Sunday Game again however, but I think there was no intent there."
id encourage you to look again if thats the case. even the "so called experts" have picked up on it. must be banned simple as that

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 07/08/2017 12:00:10    2030165

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "He might well end up with a retrospective ban since TSG went out of their way to highlight it tonight."
Could you define " went out of their way to highlight it" ??? They said they had a lot of messages about it (mostly from Waterford I would imagine). It is more like going out of your way to start a thread on here about it.

Westfester (Limerick) - Posts: 943 - 07/08/2017 13:13:26    2030203

Link

Replying To juniorjudge:  "id encourage you to look again if thats the case. even the "so called experts" have picked up on it. must be banned simple as that"
Incredible you have spent a week on here complaining about how unfair it is on de Burca then you are actively advocating another player is suspended for a similar offence ???? The mind boggles

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 738 - 07/08/2017 13:35:24    2030214

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Incredible you have spent a week on here complaining about how unfair it is on de Burca then you are actively advocating another player is suspended for a similar offence ???? The mind boggles"
ha ha ha fair play....quote me my quotes from last week please!!! back on this forum yesterday after a spell away. good man

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 07/08/2017 13:39:36    2030218

Link

It certainly looked pretty conclusive afterwards and unfortunately if there is to be consistency he will have to miss out on an AI final.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 07/08/2017 13:39:47    2030219

Link

Replying To catch22:  "It certainly looked pretty conclusive afterwards and unfortunately if there is to be consistency he will have to miss out on an AI final."
it is conclusive, its the comsistency thats the question now.

juniorjudge (Waterford) - Posts: 383 - 07/08/2017 13:55:26    2030225

Link

What is the purpose of the rule re helmets - to prevent injury. Any rule and all rules are there to protect players. That is their purpose. Was there intent from De Burca - was there intent yesterday from the Galway player ? For me that is the question. If there is not intent - then I don't think that players should be seriously sanctioned. De Burca in my opinion was blocked from continuing his run. I don't think he should be banned.

carlowman (Carlow) - Posts: 1821 - 07/08/2017 15:17:18    2030293

Link

Replying To carlowman:  "What is the purpose of the rule re helmets - to prevent injury. Any rule and all rules are there to protect players. That is their purpose. Was there intent from De Burca - was there intent yesterday from the Galway player ? For me that is the question. If there is not intent - then I don't think that players should be seriously sanctioned. De Burca in my opinion was blocked from continuing his run. I don't think he should be banned."
Carlowman, the actions of the Wexford player are irrelevant. De Burca grabbed and pulled his helmet and the linesman viewed that it was deliberate. Simple

890202 (Wexford) - Posts: 1278 - 07/08/2017 15:30:55    2030304

Link

He's been cleared to play.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 10/08/2017 21:46:38    2032162

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "He's been cleared to play."
Scrap that! Shane Stapleton tweeted he'd been cleared then retracted it saying there have beem conflicting reports. Apologies! He's always dependable however I will wait to see confirmation.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 10/08/2017 21:59:04    2032167

Link

Appeal rejected. He won't be playing this weekend.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 11/08/2017 08:04:47    2032210

Link

Sorry to hear that. It seemed a pretty innocents incident, I have seen a lot worse go unpunished.
I have no doubt his absence will galvanize Waterford and will probably mean a start for Shanahan, I must say I'm amazed he is not an automatic starter anyway, unless it's a fitness problem and the Wfd Management feel he won't last the 70 minutes.

corkcelt (Cork) - Posts: 4388 - 11/08/2017 08:43:41    2032218

Link

gaa finally got sick of all these appeals.....especially where no evidence to overturn it.
sorry for the player given his disciplinary record but what message would it have sent out kf he had got off?we don't trust our official?
the worst part about this whole saga is that it took 3 weeks nearly to sort it out and paying barristers in the end.a farce of the highest order.
time counties stopped wasting money on groundless appeals with no evidence to overturn it.....or for the GAA to start doubling suspensions for unsuccessful appeals.
i hope waterford win without him on sunday,i would be very uncomfortable with the situation if it was a wexford player and he got off in the same scenario and i would not like it.

perfect10 (Wexford) - Posts: 3929 - 11/08/2017 09:24:09    2032231

Link

I am obviously a Galway fan (living overseas) and I completely missed the Aidan Touhy helmet incident while watching the game on Sunday. I subsequently watched the Sunday Game analysis after reading about the controversy and I have to say that it looked to me like he was deliberately trying to reach back to grab Maher's helmet. The fact that Touhy got off while de Burca is suspended for a less obvious transgression is a travesty. The GAA's disciplinary process continues to be a complete joke.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 996 - 11/08/2017 09:33:30    2032237

Link

Replying To Gaillimh_Abu:  "I am obviously a Galway fan (living overseas) and I completely missed the Aidan Touhy helmet incident while watching the game on Sunday. I subsequently watched the Sunday Game analysis after reading about the controversy and I have to say that it looked to me like he was deliberately trying to reach back to grab Maher's helmet. The fact that Touhy got off while de Burca is suspended for a less obvious transgression is a travesty. The GAA's disciplinary process continues to be a complete joke."
I completely disagree with you. What you are forgetting is that what you viewed in the SG was in slow motion --- something that happened in perhaps two hundreds of a second spread out over 2 or 3 seconds. You said yourself you missed the incident in real time. When a split second action like that is viewed in slow motion it is absolutely certain to look worse than it is and appear to carry intention.

There are no inconsistencies here. The TDB incident was observed by the linesman, brought to the attention of the ref, and punishment meted out within the context of the game. For one thing, how do you know that the same linesman who observed the TDB incident and was in the correct position to observe the Tuohy incident also, didn't actually observe the Tuohy incident? Because that is what you are assuming. He may well have observed it, decided that there was no case to answer, and let the incident go without bringing it to the attention of the referee. In this context, it would be completely inconsistent if the disciplinary committee were to accept the match officials' decision in one incident (DeBurca's) and reject them in the other (Tuohy's).

It is only appropriate and just to use video evidence against a player when it is absolutely 100% certain that there was deliberate foul play and the player fully intended their action. That threshold is not reached in the Tuohy incident. At most it is at 50%. It would be completely wrong to suspend him on the basis of a half certainty in the absence of any action being taken by the match officials against the player within the game itself.

To my mind, there was no intention in the DeBurca incident either (or at least he was only partly to blame for it since his main motive was to get past the Wexford player who was obstructing his path) and personally I would have liked to see him allowed play on Sunday. However, he received a red card within the game and there is no way he could win his appeal for that reason. It is unfortunate that he is suspended for Sunday but it is not unjust.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1903 - 11/08/2017 11:21:52    2032284

Link

Replying To perfect10:  "gaa finally got sick of all these appeals.....especially where no evidence to overturn it.
sorry for the player given his disciplinary record but what message would it have sent out kf he had got off?we don't trust our official?
the worst part about this whole saga is that it took 3 weeks nearly to sort it out and paying barristers in the end.a farce of the highest order.
time counties stopped wasting money on groundless appeals with no evidence to overturn it.....or for the GAA to start doubling suspensions for unsuccessful appeals.
i hope waterford win without him on sunday,i would be very uncomfortable with the situation if it was a wexford player and he got off in the same scenario and i would not like it."
Are there too many appeal avenues in the GAA? CHC, CAC, and DRA, that is 3 bodies looking at the same case. There should be one appeals body whose decision is final, it would shorten the process, and save counties the expense of appeal after appeal.

I am sorry for Tadhg De Burca, he is a terrific player, with a good disciplinary record, and will be disappointed at missing the semi final. It is a blow to Waterford.

thelongridge (Offaly) - Posts: 1739 - 11/08/2017 11:30:34    2032292

Link