National Forum

Waterford v Cork.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To bronxirish:  "Hold on, this went 6 days without someone challenging that Austin Gleeson is potentially the greatest hurler ever! That had to be a joke right?"
No joke said it last year and most posters agreed , again today when he was needed most he scores one of the greatest goals I've ever seen what a man what a player , well done Waterford absolutely buzzing for them hopefully they go on and win it.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 13/08/2017 17:10:02    2032792

Link

Pity Waterford could potentially have 2 fantastic players out for the final.
Jamie Barron if he has a good final is my player of the year.
Here's hoping to a good final.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 13/08/2017 17:11:54    2032793

Link

Congratulations Waterford....well done, great defence AND goals DO win matches! Still, not a bad year for Cork, still in the game with 10 minutes to go.....Minor's win....its progress!!!

eaglehaslanded (Cork) - Posts: 135 - 13/08/2017 17:13:48    2032795

Link

Well done Waterford!!

Really looking forward to the final, wouldn't begrudge either Galway or Waterford landing Liam!!

TheHermit (Kerry) - Posts: 6354 - 13/08/2017 17:16:35    2032797

Link

Congratulations Waterford & best of luck in the Final.
Game turned on the red card but to be honest I thought Waterford were the more likely to win it even before the card.
I think the long delay between Munster Final & All Ireland semi told against Cork.
Waterford coming off wins against the Cats & Wexford were up to game speed from the off & knocked Cork completely off their natural game.
Obviously disappointed but it has been a decent year so far for Cork Hurling, a Munster Championship at Senior, an All Ireland at under 17 & a minor All Ireland Final to look forward to.
I'd have taken that at the start of the year.

corkcelt (Cork) - Posts: 4388 - 13/08/2017 17:18:15    2032800

Link

I would hate to see Austin Gleeson miss the final but the slow motion video evidence is fairly damning. How he could decide to that after all the recent attention given to helmet controversies boggles the mind.

Gaillimh_Abu (Galway) - Posts: 996 - 13/08/2017 17:19:50    2032801

Link

Listening to the full time chat and analysis exposes for me the fundemental difference the way Hurling and Football are discussed. If that was football there would have been calls for Gleesons head and Waterford berated for the style of hurling played.

That said no denying a great win for Waterford fully deserved and they have a fantastic chance of winning all ireland. Waterford are great exponents of a new style of hurling which is almost revolutionary. It will be fascinating to see how Galway perform could be a classic.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 13/08/2017 17:20:03    2032802

Link

Two Gleesons will be gone for the final. Did anyone see what Patrick Horgan did?

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 13/08/2017 17:38:11    2032809

Link

Yeah it will be an interesting final. Gleeson will almost certainly miss it. For me pulling a helmet shouldn't be a red. It should be a yellow. There's very little damage done and it's embarrassing how little you need to do to get red. There should be no sendings off in hurling unless a guy absolutely cleaves an opponent maliciously.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 13/08/2017 17:40:03    2032811

Link

Disappointed, but we can still see this year as a success

PyatPree (Cork) - Posts: 376 - 13/08/2017 17:40:43    2032812

Link

Fantastic win for Waterford, they completely bossed Cork today, but for a team with a full-time manager and which put such store in their system, their discipline is shocking. Austin Gleeson pulling the helmet off was mind-bogglingly stupid, and Conor Gleeson's was equally so. What was Horgan sent off for? He got hit on the knee by C Gleeson, next thing he's getting a red card - did I miss something?

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 1246 - 13/08/2017 17:42:57    2032817

Link

No disrespect to Dublin or Kerry but if the football god's are lurking around Croker the next two weekends a Mayo v Tyrone final would be nice!!

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 13/08/2017 17:43:06    2032818

Link

Bit of a nightmare scenario has emerged for the GAA. Will be another controversial and emotional appeal process for Conor Gleeson which technically probably can't succeed.
Throw in the Austin Gleesons incident where the precedent of retrospective action has been well and truly set and again emotions will run high on this one.
What do you do,hold the line and be consistent or go with the popular decision and have all clear for the final.

facethepuckout (Roscommon) - Posts: 214 - 13/08/2017 17:44:38    2032819

Link

Replying To 890202:  "Cahalanes first yellow card wasn't even a foul, but what an awful stupid tackle to put in when your on a yellow card. The two gleesons should Miss the final"
Careless use of the hurley.

It was most definitely a yellow card. Second yellow could have been a red.

On Austin Gleeson the rules are clear. He pulled the helmet straight off the head deliberately. He has to be banned.

Conor Gleeson struck with the hurley with minimal force. Red card. Simple as.

It doesn't matter what the sunday game think.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 13/08/2017 17:51:15    2032824

Link

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "Two Gleesons will be gone for the final. Did anyone see what Patrick Horgan did?"
Horgan did nothing to warrant a red card as far as I can see.. Bit of a disaster for the deise if the 2 Gleesons are out for the final.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 1056 - 13/08/2017 17:55:14    2032827

Link

Replying To facethepuckout:  "Bit of a nightmare scenario has emerged for the GAA. Will be another controversial and emotional appeal process for Conor Gleeson which technically probably can't succeed.
Throw in the Austin Gleesons incident where the precedent of retrospective action has been well and truly set and again emotions will run high on this one.
What do you do,hold the line and be consistent or go with the popular decision and have all clear for the final."
Go with the rule back.,

Oh and perhaps some of these counties and players just accept the punishment in the first place. Gleeson is caught red handed on camera.

Just idiotic after Tadgh De Burca. You could argue that it's more clear cut than Tadghs.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 13/08/2017 17:56:09    2032828

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Horgan did nothing to warrant a red card as far as I can see.. Bit of a disaster for the deise if the 2 Gleesons are out for the final."
He threw a bit of a dig. And I mean a bit of a dig. A mental thing for the Conor Gleeson to do with the game nearly wrapped up.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 13/08/2017 17:57:50    2032831

Link

Replying To skillet:  "Horgan did nothing to warrant a red card as far as I can see.. Bit of a disaster for the deise if the 2 Gleesons are out for the final."
Horgan swiped back apparently, it was shown on tv but that's what they said in the studio. If he wasn't walking, Kingston was going to instead for a second yellow.

Conor Gleeson had to go. It's a pity, I doubt his card will be rescinded for the final, very hard on him, that's the way it goes I suppose.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 13/08/2017 17:58:58    2032832

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "No joke said it last year and most posters agreed , again today when he was needed most he scores one of the greatest goals I've ever seen what a man what a player , well done Waterford absolutely buzzing for them hopefully they go on and win it."
He is gifted no doubt but he seems to lack the last and most important 6 inches. Should have seen red today and will be a loss for final. He needs to sort out the discipline. Also some of his shooting is crazy.

But he is very young and will learn. Potential to be class

Mayonman (Galway) - Posts: 1826 - 13/08/2017 18:03:24    2032835

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Yeah it will be an interesting final. Gleeson will almost certainly miss it. For me pulling a helmet shouldn't be a red. It should be a yellow. There's very little damage done and it's embarrassing how little you need to do to get red. There should be no sendings off in hurling unless a guy absolutely cleaves an opponent maliciously."
Considering the damage that could be caused with a fella was struck after the helmet was pulled off I think it has to be a red card.

When can there ever be a legitimate reason to rip a lads helmet off his head?

Such a silly thing to do but deserves the punishment.

And if he is banned I don't think we will ever see another helmet ripped off a head again.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 13/08/2017 18:04:24    2032837

Link