National Forum

Dublin v Tyrone Semi-Final

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To TheUsername:  "I think given our pedigree its hard not to be confident, should we really be fearful of any team?

I dont mean that to be arrogant and we are far form unbeatable, but i think its possible to be confident but respectful, i certainly respect Tyrone."
I agree. One of the best attributes of this team over the last number of years is their ability to stay calm right down to the wire. Even when under the kosh, points behind they still keep battling away. Convinced they would of caught Kerry in League final if they had 5 more minutes.

I think Tyrone will push them hard. And it'll go down to wire.

Like the mix of Dub/Tyrone up above. I'd put Ricey in over Cooper as well. Couldn't stick him :-)

Roll on Sunday week

A69

Aido69 (Dublin) - Posts: 381 - 16/08/2017 22:41:22    2034509

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "Nice assessment. I never think hunger is an issue usually. Ask Kilkenny or Celtic . It's more fatigue or other teams pushing them to the brink unless morale really slips in the camp.

A one point win would do just fine, no nails left but it would do perfect."
Best Tyrone team since 2008 easily. Maybe slightly better than 2008? Not at 2005 level naturally.

Yes that's true about hunger. The really good teams never lack in it. Maybe i'll rephrase and say the 'luck' or 'rub of the green' to win 3 in a row. Dublin had a little luck, now they made most of it with the goals against Mayo the first day and Mayo dropping Clarke and Lee Keegan getting the black in the replay. But i don't want to take from their win, they probably would have found the answers anyway. They're a great team which often gets lost with our various rivalries etc.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 16/08/2017 23:11:56    2034517

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "Nice assessment. I never think hunger is an issue usually. Ask Kilkenny or Celtic . It's more fatigue or other teams pushing them to the brink unless morale really slips in the camp.

A one point win would do just fine, no nails left but it would do perfect."
Really starting to look forward to this game in fact I'm looking forward to this weekend also - what I like most about these games is that following Mayos performance in replay I genuinely wouldn't be surprised by whoever wins.

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 17/08/2017 08:59:26    2034557

Link

Replying To AHP:  "I think Tyrone might prefer Kerry in the final, because even though they are completely different teams to the ones that clashed so often in the noughties, they will still have a sense that they could handle Kerry in a final, whereas Mayo have had their measure a couple of times in recent years, and of the 3 teams left I think Mayo would prefer Tyrone if given a choice. I don't think Dublin would have a preference for a final opponent as they have beaten both recently. That said I think they could easily be beaten by Tyrone in the semi, so as you said any pairing could end up in the final, and none of the 4 teams left can be too confident of the outcome."
I disagree on both counts - first, Tyrone do not have a good chance of beating Dublin in the semi. They'd have to play out of their skins, have a fair ref and for Dublin to have a bit of an off-day. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. Second, Tyrone should have at least drawn with Mayo last year and I've seen nothing this year to suggest that Mayo are better than last year or Tyrone worse than last year. Whereas Kerry and Dublin both look formidable and very well-prepared this year; I've been impressed by both. Of the 3 remaining teams, Mayo is the one that Tyrone would have a marginal preference for meeting in a final, though it'd be a dogfight against any of those 3.

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 17/08/2017 09:11:42    2034562

Link

Replying To essmac:  "I disagree on both counts - first, Tyrone do not have a good chance of beating Dublin in the semi. They'd have to play out of their skins, have a fair ref and for Dublin to have a bit of an off-day. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. Second, Tyrone should have at least drawn with Mayo last year and I've seen nothing this year to suggest that Mayo are better than last year or Tyrone worse than last year. Whereas Kerry and Dublin both look formidable and very well-prepared this year; I've been impressed by both. Of the 3 remaining teams, Mayo is the one that Tyrone would have a marginal preference for meeting in a final, though it'd be a dogfight against any of those 3."
Yerra from the Tyrone boys - thought this was copyrighted by Kerry

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 17/08/2017 11:38:23    2034628

Link

Replying To SirStrawHat:  "I fear some Dubs are being a little optimistic here. We only ever scrape through semi finals.

Tyrone are super dangerous. Attacking at great speed. Exciting to watch to be fair. If anything we are lacking a cutting edge. Looking ponderous at times against Monaghan. Perhaps Connolly can help.

Question marks over our full back line as well. Mulgrews goal taking stirred painful memories for me. Tyrone fans I met were at qf's were confident. Anyone should relish a run at the champions and Tyrone have earned it.

We cant win them all and even when we do win its never handy. Could be a frustrating afternoon. It's up in the air, out of everyone's reach until Sunday week."
Listen, with the greatest of respect in the world to you, I say get stuffed with the negativity.

This IS the greatest panel of Dublin players ever put together, We have lost 1 of our last 40 games in league and championship. If we cant be confident without being over-confident in this group of players and management who are aiming for 3 all Ireland titles in a row and a 4th in 5 years, then you will never be able to enjoy or be confident in any team ever again.

Everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY that supports Dublin will know just how much of a challenge Tyrone will pose. Everybody knows that they get numbers back and defend en masse and everyone knows how good they are in transition, Their unreal championship scoring stats so far tell its own story so nobody here will be underestimating tyrone or what they can/will bring to the party. They are a really good side. But I feel we are stronger and more experienced and im supremely confident that at the end of an enticing, gripping game of football, We will come out the right side. And if im wrong, We will get over it and go again next year.

I think the "questions over the FB line" are a myth. Youre listening to the SG boys too much and not actually witnessing the Dublin full back line in general which has been unbelievably solid in the national league and championship. The defence as a whole can be got at but so can Tyrone's and ive no doubt JG will be diligently preparing to expose their weaknesses just as they will be looking to expose ours.

Youre right, we cant, and wont win them all. Donegal beat us in 2014 sure. Tyrone are capable this year and if they do, GL to them in the final, We absolutely should be expecting a tough, frustrating afternoon, but isn't that what is expected in semi finals and finals when the best teams come head to head. ?

For as much as they will relish playing us, We will be relishing and looking forward to them so get rid of the negativity and believe in this unreal group of men to produce the goods again.

I maintain we will win by 4-6 points in a gruelling encounter

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 17/08/2017 12:04:18    2034637

Link

Tyrone are a dangerous opponent but its hard to back them v Dublin, who have seen and done it all. Dublin have surprised me this year, they look fresh and hungry, better than 2016 even. I felt they were absolutely there for the taking last year but neither Kerry nor Mayo proved good enough. I am not getting that sense of vulnerability this year, and the more the championship goes on the more I see them completing their three in a row. Of course, the opposition thus far hasn't tested them at all, so we will know more after Sunday.

The start is absolutely crucial. If Tryone allow Dublin to build up a lead it will be tremendously difficult to get back into it. Dublin on the other hand are well used to having to claw back scores in tight games in Croker, and they won't panic no matter what. Dublin by a couple of points for me.

GeniusGerry (Kerry) - Posts: 2105 - 17/08/2017 12:23:41    2034642

Link

I ain't one of those bs merchants. I call it as I see it. I will be gobsmacked if Dublin don't win this by 6/7. Sorry Tyrone ye ain't near what ye think ye are. While it will be our toughest game. We will win it with a bit to spare.

joeblogs10 (Dublin) - Posts: 104 - 17/08/2017 17:32:08    2034810

Link

Replying To SirStrawHat:  "I fear some Dubs are being a little optimistic here. We only ever scrape through semi finals.

Tyrone are super dangerous. Attacking at great speed. Exciting to watch to be fair. If anything we are lacking a cutting edge. Looking ponderous at times against Monaghan. Perhaps Connolly can help.

Question marks over our full back line as well. Mulgrews goal taking stirred painful memories for me. Tyrone fans I met were at qf's were confident. Anyone should relish a run at the champions and Tyrone have earned it.

We cant win them all and even when we do win its never handy. Could be a frustrating afternoon. It's up in the air, out of everyone's reach until Sunday week."
Not sure I would use the word optimistic. We are favourites and defending champions so in such cases, we would get the percentage call.

Semi finals are, and should be (as it makes them great), tight affairs, Edge we would have over Tyrone is that we have come through some epics. Sunday week will be another one. I don't go with the 5+ pt win shouts but I hope we'll have enough to get through.

poguemahone (Dublin) - Posts: 365 - 17/08/2017 19:58:35    2034871

Link

Replying To joeblogs10:  "I ain't one of those bs merchants. I call it as I see it. I will be gobsmacked if Dublin don't win this by 6/7. Sorry Tyrone ye ain't near what ye think ye are. While it will be our toughest game. We will win it with a bit to spare."
You're being honest joebloggs. But what do you base being 7 pts better on?

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 17/08/2017 21:32:00    2034901

Link

Replying To joeblogs10:  "I ain't one of those bs merchants. I call it as I see it. I will be gobsmacked if Dublin don't win this by 6/7. Sorry Tyrone ye ain't near what ye think ye are. While it will be our toughest game. We will win it with a bit to spare."
I'd say ye posted that more as a result of wishful thinking than as a result of any fair analysis. There's only been a point or so in it in our last 4/5 meetings with a few draws in there also. Dublin have been on a higher level than us these last few years no doubt, but while Dublin have been on the road a few years now and in the ascendancy ours is mostly a team on the up that will have a great will to win and for the first time in a few years we have a team that we truly believe can do it. I won't be flabbergasted if your predictions turn out to be true but I also won't be surprised by us winning it by a single point. Anything is possible when 2 teams who are playing we'll meet at this stage. The invincible blue juggernaut was brought to a halt by Kerry in the league final and there's no reason why we can't do the same.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 20/08/2017 03:10:01    2035449

Link

Replying To seanie_boy:  "I'd say ye posted that more as a result of wishful thinking than as a result of any fair analysis. There's only been a point or so in it in our last 4/5 meetings with a few draws in there also. Dublin have been on a higher level than us these last few years no doubt, but while Dublin have been on the road a few years now and in the ascendancy ours is mostly a team on the up that will have a great will to win and for the first time in a few years we have a team that we truly believe can do it. I won't be flabbergasted if your predictions turn out to be true but I also won't be surprised by us winning it by a single point. Anything is possible when 2 teams who are playing we'll meet at this stage. The invincible blue juggernaut was brought to a halt by Kerry in the league final and there's no reason why we can't do the same."
I think because Dublin have been winning so many trophies some believe them to be unbeatable and untouchable like Celtic are in the SPL. I mean he's saying Dublin will win by 7 and calling that their toughest game and then they still would have to go on to play either Kerry or Mayo. One of which bet them only a few months ago in the league final and the other probably should have in the first AI final last year and forced them to a replay that they won by the bare minimum. So if ye beat us in the semi who much will ye win by in the final 10?12?

Don't get me wrong Dublin are a great team. We all know that...but they are not invincible. They won't be walking their way to an AI by any means come next weekend or who ever they meet in the final. I'd get where you were coming from if ye bet Mayo last year in the final by 10 and Kerry by the same number and maybe our own form was off but that's not the case.

Dublin will be favorites who ever they are playing and rightly so but you calling 7 plus points based on what exactly? Our defence isn't exactly parallel with Carlow's. We aren't leaking three-four goals a game. It's not as if we fell into a semi with a bit of luck and are happy for the day out in Croker. We, like yerselves having being putting up big scores against everyone we met this summer. You should have respect for the last four because at this stage anyone of them could beat Dublin. I nor anyone has a clue who is going to win this year's AI. We all have our predicitons based on some sort of logic but I don't see what the 7 plus is based on. Bookies have ye evens to win by four and that's pushe dby heavy Dublin fans and neutrals betting on Dub. The real handicap is about -2.Fair enough if it happens it happens but being rational minded I'm not sure what 7 plus is based upon other than an emotional based prediction. For the record my head says Dublin by two or so but my heart says us by a one.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 20/08/2017 10:51:20    2035467

Link

Tyrone are as good as Dublin except that Dublin also have forwards who can get individual scores when the team is on the back foot; Dublin have a brilliant free taker; and, Tyrone and Ulster fans aside, everyone else in the country (including refs) would prefer to see Dublin in the final. It should be competitive, but realistically it would be an upset if Dublin lose.

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 20/08/2017 11:45:02    2035482

Link

Can't make this one
I got some work in the Netherlands that I can't turn down, 3 separate shoots for the one client so will be over there for the next 2 weeks from tomorrow.

I know a couple of good spots to watch the game in Haarlem and then sure if Dublin lose its only 15 minutes to Amsterdam to find something else to think about!

Best of luck to both teams and may the best team win without any aul typical GAA whinging after the fact

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 20/08/2017 11:57:18    2035489

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "Can't make this one
I got some work in the Netherlands that I can't turn down, 3 separate shoots for the one client so will be over there for the next 2 weeks from tomorrow.

I know a couple of good spots to watch the game in Haarlem and then sure if Dublin lose its only 15 minutes to Amsterdam to find something else to think about!

Best of luck to both teams and may the best team win without any aul typical GAA whinging after the fact"
Ooo you are awful! Amsterdam, clients, 3 separate shoots!!!! Tulips? Windmills?

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9697 - 20/08/2017 13:31:01    2035526

Link

Replying To essmac:  "Tyrone are as good as Dublin except that Dublin also have forwards who can get individual scores when the team is on the back foot; Dublin have a brilliant free taker; and, Tyrone and Ulster fans aside, everyone else in the country (including refs) would prefer to see Dublin in the final. It should be competitive, but realistically it would be an upset if Dublin lose."
Tyrone and Ulster fans aside, everyone else in the country (including refs) would prefer to see Dublin in the final.

I think you may be slightly off the mark there

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 20/08/2017 13:53:05    2035528

Link

Replying To essmac:  "Tyrone are as good as Dublin except that Dublin also have forwards who can get individual scores when the team is on the back foot; Dublin have a brilliant free taker; and, Tyrone and Ulster fans aside, everyone else in the country (including refs) would prefer to see Dublin in the final. It should be competitive, but realistically it would be an upset if Dublin lose."
Tyrone are as good as Dublin? You're having a laugh

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 20/08/2017 13:58:10    2035531

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Tyrone are as good as Dublin? You're having a laugh"
So says the man who hates Tyrone more than the Dubs - no bias there then!!!

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 20/08/2017 18:30:32    2035659

Link

Replying To IrishGael3:  "So says the man who hates Tyrone more than the Dubs - no bias there then!!!"
Cop on . Tyrone are not as good as Dublin. No team is. That is a fact. And to say they are is insane. Now on any given day Any team could get beat. But Dublin would have to perform below anything they have in past 3 years and Tyrone would have to perform way better their individual talents to create the biggest shock in football this or last year. It could happen but highly unlikely.

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 20/08/2017 19:34:51    2035690

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Tyrone are as good as Dublin? You're having a laugh"
We'll know this time next week.!

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2155 - 20/08/2017 19:39:27    2035695

Link