National Forum

Galway v Tipperary

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I was shouting for Galway today and I would dearly love for Joe Canning to win an All Ireland, and they had the goal chances to kill the game long before the end, but watching the match as objectively as I can I thought Kelly gave Tipp nothing today. That's my main gripe with Kelly, he sides with the "challenger" when refereeing big matches and God help your team if it's not them. When Cork were All Ireland champions he used to ride them, when Kilkenny were All Ireland champions he rode us, and Tipp got their dose today. Us neutrals can cheer on the underdog/challenger but someone needs to tell Barry that a top class referee's job is to rise above that.

ballydalane (Kilkenny) - Posts: 1246 - 06/08/2017 20:03:06    2029895

Link

Close and exciting with a great finish. However, Galway should have won this game easily with the chances they had. I thought the ref was playing for a draw at the finish. Tipp seemed to get frees much easier than Galway, whilst Joe Canning's yellow was a joke. It was a hard-hitting game with frontal shoulder charges by players in possession and slapping with the hurley seemingly acceptable to Kelly.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 06/08/2017 20:36:49    2029914

Link

Replying To ballydalane:  "I was shouting for Galway today and I would dearly love for Joe Canning to win an All Ireland, and they had the goal chances to kill the game long before the end, but watching the match as objectively as I can I thought Kelly gave Tipp nothing today. That's my main gripe with Kelly, he sides with the "challenger" when refereeing big matches and God help your team if it's not them. When Cork were All Ireland champions he used to ride them, when Kilkenny were All Ireland champions he rode us, and Tipp got their dose today. Us neutrals can cheer on the underdog/challenger but someone needs to tell Barry that a top class referee's job is to rise above that."
Totally disagree with any stick given to the referee today , Tipp missed loads of chances that had nothing to do with the referee. He even allowed Bubbles a chance to level it when time was well up. What are these big calls that went against Tipperary I didn't notice at all and I'm a neutral? For me Barry Kelly had a very good game.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 06/08/2017 22:09:45    2029961

Link

Tipp hung in there and thought we'd sneak it when we drew level. Galway in fairness looked better for longer periods of times bar first ten mins but once they got motoring very hard to stop.
Tipp needed Bonnar and Callinan in the game and they weren't where as all of Galways big players stood up and contributed.
I won't say the ref was bad but the free count was something like 17-8 in Galways favour. Now maybe it was deserved will have to watch on TV.
Anyway in the end the better team always wins and Galway were top today congrats to them perhaps their famine is finally over.
May I just add serious Galway support today easily out numbered Tipp and every Galway score was deafening.
New champions always good for hurling.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 06/08/2017 22:17:38    2029963

Link

An outstanding game of hurling between 2 teams who have demonstrated everything that is great about sport in general and hurling in particular. 2 teams who fully believed that they had the skill and ability to beat their opponents in a full blooded battle. 2 teams managed by gentlemen and who reflected this in how they played the game and accepted victory and defeat. Anyone who wants to talk about the referee after a game like that is probably better suited to watching reality tv where they can boo the pantomine villain. Ireland does not know how lucky it is to have events like this to savour each summer.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 06/08/2017 23:01:42    2029976

Link

just back from the match. absolutely super game! delighted to be part of it and hats off to both teams.

SaffronDon (Antrim) - Posts: 2385 - 06/08/2017 23:11:10    2029984

Link

Replying To WildPundit:  "Tipp hung in there and thought we'd sneak it when we drew level. Galway in fairness looked better for longer periods of times bar first ten mins but once they got motoring very hard to stop.
Tipp needed Bonnar and Callinan in the game and they weren't where as all of Galways big players stood up and contributed.
I won't say the ref was bad but the free count was something like 17-8 in Galways favour. Now maybe it was deserved will have to watch on TV.
Anyway in the end the better team always wins and Galway were top today congrats to them perhaps their famine is finally over.
May I just add serious Galway support today easily out numbered Tipp and every Galway score was deafening.
New champions always good for hurling."
Gracious in defeat and a fair assessment. What a trilogy between Galway and Tipp in the last three All Ireland Semi-Finals!

baire (Galway) - Posts: 1785 - 06/08/2017 23:13:19    2029985

Link

Replying To arock:  "Really poor ref - so many bad calls - takes so much away from a great game."
Well said a rock totally agree

blackrockeddie (Cork) - Posts: 160 - 06/08/2017 23:22:31    2029994

Link

Brilliant result and as a lifelong supporter of Galway hurling I'm thrilled. Achieved despite key players playing sporadically (JC) or poorly throughout (David Burke). Thought the 5 week break affected Galway a lot and some of their sharpness and touch was missing ... Gosh how many times did they fail to rise the rise ball cleanly allowing a sharper Tipp team to dispossess them. Only saying that in the context that they can improve 10% + for the final.

Respect to Tipp, great battling performance and owe no one anything, unfortunately that All time great Seamie Callinan just had a slight dip in form this year and they had grown to depend on him so much,

SouthsideRossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 88 - 06/08/2017 23:23:12    2029995

Link

Delighted Galway pulled through this fantastic game that had so much- for me the psychological battle of Galway vs themselves was what made it exceptional. Tipp brought them to the brink and they kept replying and deserved to win.
A final now, and not against Kilkenny, Galway are excellent to watch and I hope Cork win to make it a real shoot out, no offence meant to Waterford you have a great chance to turn Corks season into an anticlimax. Looking forward to it.

jonno (Kildare) - Posts: 260 - 07/08/2017 00:39:21    2030046

Link

Congrats to Galway. As always the best team won, best of luck to this fine team in the final. The winning and losing of the game was when Galway outscored us 7 - 1 midway through the 1st half.

Really proud of our lads, they get so much unwarranted stick and especially from some Tipp 'fans'. Theh made Galway earn this win and pushed them all the way.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 07/08/2017 06:31:51    2030069

Link

What a game! Epic dosn't do it justice.
Congrats to Galway and commiserations to Tipp who died with their boots on like the champions they are.
Canning surely silenced the doubters for good yesterday as he really took over when needed most.
I thought the ref had a fine game and the criticism of him is totally unjustified.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 07/08/2017 09:28:36    2030091

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Congrats to Galway. As always the best team won, best of luck to this fine team in the final. The winning and losing of the game was when Galway outscored us 7 - 1 midway through the 1st half.

Really proud of our lads, they get so much unwarranted stick and especially from some Tipp 'fans'. Theh made Galway earn this win and pushed them all the way."
Fair play buddy they went down fighting. We didn't let Galway run all over us I'm proud of the lads and I know I'm critical of them here most of the time but I'd support them through thick and thin.
We've had many great days since 2014 but one thing about Tipp we seem be always on the wrong end of a classic!!
Fair play our boys looking forward to the bounce back in 2018.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 07/08/2017 09:34:19    2030094

Link

The first thing i'd like to say is the Tipp posters on here are a credit to their county. They are so gracious in defeat and offer no excuses. It's so sporting after a 1 point defeat.

The game really opened up in the second half and was full of skill and honest endeavour with, naturally, the odd mistake. Tipperary, displayed the character that has always been the county's hallmark, fighting away,clipping over great scores and playing never losing faith.

Galway, after a few initial wobbles, were equally as committed. Every man contributing. I watched the game with my 7 year old nephew on tv, we generally hurl a lot together. I was in hospital last year and didn't get to see the Galway/Tipp match with him. It was his first real time to see Joe Canning. Well all yesterday evening he was Joe did this and Joe did that! Isn't it great how little fellas can be inspired by such a game! Now totally off topic but if SKY had sole rights to all these games little lads like him, who are a bit young and small for the pub wouldn't get to see a game like this.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 07/08/2017 09:55:46    2030102

Link

Great game of hurling,2 great teams,best game in the world,looking forward to a great final whether it be Cork or Waterford to play Galway.

mooncat (Kilkenny) - Posts: 533 - 07/08/2017 10:24:19    2030112

Link

Great game and another step closer to ending the drought in Galway.
Their backs were really on top yesterday I thought and went a big way to winning it for them.
Hard luck to Tipp who looked to have got back on track after poor start to Championship.
One gripe was I though Kelly gave handier frees to Galway .

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 07/08/2017 10:48:28    2030118

Link

Replying To baire:  "Gracious in defeat and a fair assessment. What a trilogy between Galway and Tipp in the last three All Ireland Semi-Finals!"
Its been 3 great games right down to the wire. Tipp dont win Trilogies!! v Limerick in 07 , Lost 2-1 on the AI head to head vs KK 2009 - 2011 and now this!! Was talking to a few Galway lads before the game yesterday in Quinn's and we agreed it would not be a point again. Surely we thought one team would get on top and pull away eventually little did we know!!!!
You gotta love hurling best sport in the world!!!

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 07/08/2017 11:38:54    2030143

Link

Firstly congrats to galway,well done,but they have to win Liam now,or yesterday will be to no avail.

They are a fine team,have speed,skill,physically strong.will take beating ,
A Galway v Waterford would be a great occasion .

As for our boys,iam proud of them,we have been at the top table along time providing great entertainment,would have a couple more titles,if it was not for the presence of the Cats,arguably the greatest team ever,

Well done tipp,died with their boots on,

Best of luck Galway

Tipptipp (Tipperary) - Posts: 62 - 07/08/2017 11:49:21    2030154

Link

Replying To Soma:  "An outstanding game of hurling between 2 teams who have demonstrated everything that is great about sport in general and hurling in particular. 2 teams who fully believed that they had the skill and ability to beat their opponents in a full blooded battle. 2 teams managed by gentlemen and who reflected this in how they played the game and accepted victory and defeat. Anyone who wants to talk about the referee after a game like that is probably better suited to watching reality tv where they can boo the pantomine villain. Ireland does not know how lucky it is to have events like this to savour each summer."
Super post mate.. Very well articulated and agree with all the sentiment expressed.
Sad to admit I grew up with a bit of a pathological hatred of Tipp, growing up on the Limerick/Tipp border, with a long and miserable history of underachievement, I was fed a diet of nonsense about Tipp arrogance, basically excuses about why my county can't ever get over the finishing line.
Point is simply this.. The admiration I have for the current Tipp side is unparalleled..
I thought they were fantastic yesterday, despite their Limitations they took an excellent Galway team to the wire. Could have snatched a draw at the end and it would have been fully deserved.. I would love to see my own county able to challenge as consistently as Tipp and Galway.. A great game, had everything. Hurling played well is unsurpassed as a sport.

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 1056 - 07/08/2017 12:06:20    2030169

Link

Canning deserves an All Ireland as much as anyone. He will always always step up and take the shot. He's either scored or directly been involved in 3 huge match winning/ saving scores - drawn All Ireland 2012, left in the ball to Maloney in 2015 against Tipp, and now yesterday. He has taken some ridiculous stick over the years for 'going missing'. Nonsense - what he did out there yesterday was similar to what Shefflin used to do for Kilkenny. Just hope Galway can go on and finish the job now

tombonk (Galway) - Posts: 128 - 07/08/2017 12:37:43    2030186

Link