National Forum

Mayo vs Roscommon

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Hopefully Galway will be doing the same ,and send us back to gnome land

john1971 (Roscommon) - Posts: 185 - 27/07/2017 13:28:14    2024440

Link

If Mayo can get through this one with an improved performance from what we've seen to date

Beating their Connacht champions with a convincing performance

I think that will bring a huge motivational factor going into the semi-final

They need a shot in the arm and this game could possibly be it...

But Roscommon will be doing their upmost to send their rivals crashing after what would be a very disappointing year

And maybe even bring a bit of pressure on Rochford..

Very interesting game ahead looking forward to it

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 27/07/2017 13:31:33    2024445

Link

Replying To OverBlackSpot:  "If that were to happen no doubt the GAA will have it in Castlebar to make sure Mayo get through to the latter stages. Sure in 2001 they did the same thing putting the Galway Ros fixture there where of course we got beaten"
Any thoughts on the JFK assassination, the moon landings or 9/11 while you're on the subject of conspiracy theories.

Just out of curiosity, where would have played that game in 2001?

the_walls (Mayo) - Posts: 495 - 27/07/2017 13:33:44    2024447

Link

I rate comer a better forward than moran, o Connor or a.o.s and he still was limited to small damage against Roscommon. K mc Stay and mc hale has something to prove to yourselves and to the mayo county board . Hope yer players behave themselves on the field all 1 has to do is watch the Dublin v Mayo reply last year to see yer style.

john1971 (Roscommon) - Posts: 185 - 27/07/2017 13:37:44    2024450

Link

Replying To OverBlackSpot:  "If that were to happen no doubt the GAA will have it in Castlebar to make sure Mayo get through to the latter stages. Sure in 2001 they did the same thing putting the Galway Ros fixture there where of course we got beaten"
Ahhh 2001 a great year for football

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 706 - 27/07/2017 13:39:53    2024451

Link

Good luck Roscommon - we'll be out to avenge our Connacht title loss in the AI semi's!

The_DOC (Galway) - Posts: 706 - 27/07/2017 13:40:54    2024452

Link

I think the aim when you are in an All Ireland quarter or semi final is to win rather than put on a show. Mayo won the Tipp match by four or five points which is a nice margin for a semi final. Mayo, unlike the Dubs or Kerry don't seem to be able to put teams away the last couple of years, something that may well come back to haunt them. Mayo have no control over odds and it doesn't seem as if the Roscommon lads are lumping on big money as they don't appear to be coming down. We were odds on to beat Cork in normal time last weekend as were Galway in the Connacht final and we know how those games turned out. It's interesting that you seem to think that a Ros win on Sunday will be down to Mayo having regressed rather than any improvement from Roscommon. I think if Ros do win you won't get many of your countymen agreeing with you!

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1113 - 27/07/2017 14:45:17    2024490

Link

Replying To The_DOC:  "Good luck Roscommon - we'll be out to avenge our Connacht title loss in the AI semi's!"
Jesus there is believers. I would bet my mortgage on Kerry winning. Hope they don't but I don't think there's even a slim chance they will lose.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 27/07/2017 15:02:30    2024502

Link

Replying To GameOfTyrones:  "Jesus there is believers. I would bet my mortgage on Kerry winning. Hope they don't but I don't think there's even a slim chance they will lose."
If they're any way complacent and off their game and Galway improve again, as much as they did between Roscommon and Donegal, then Galway will win. A lot of ifs I know. Michael Meehan off the bench with 5 minutes to score the winning goal!

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 27/07/2017 15:26:49    2024514

Link

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "I think the aim when you are in an All Ireland quarter or semi final is to win rather than put on a show. Mayo won the Tipp match by four or five points which is a nice margin for a semi final. Mayo, unlike the Dubs or Kerry don't seem to be able to put teams away the last couple of years, something that may well come back to haunt them. Mayo have no control over odds and it doesn't seem as if the Roscommon lads are lumping on big money as they don't appear to be coming down. We were odds on to beat Cork in normal time last weekend as were Galway in the Connacht final and we know how those games turned out. It's interesting that you seem to think that a Ros win on Sunday will be down to Mayo having regressed rather than any improvement from Roscommon. I think if Ros do win you won't get many of your countymen agreeing with you!"
Yeah but you've reasons to be optimistic as well pal. That opening half in Ennis I wondered if you were going to disintegrate but fair play you came back fighting and won handy in the end. Likewise the Cork game was a war of attrition and games like that are great preparation. A tight game v Rossies (obviously so long as you come out on top) will add to the pot for the semi. To be honest I can't see you going further than that but psychologically you'd have to be in a good place.

MedwayIrish (Wexford) - Posts: 2324 - 27/07/2017 15:34:21    2024518

Link

Replying To john1971:  "I rate comer a better forward than moran, o Connor or a.o.s and he still was limited to small damage against Roscommon. K mc Stay and mc hale has something to prove to yourselves and to the mayo county board . Hope yer players behave themselves on the field all 1 has to do is watch the Dublin v Mayo reply last year to see yer style."
Was that the game in which Dublin had the same number of black cards as Mayo, and in which John Small inexplicably escaped sanction for a tap tackle on Andy Moran when he was in the clear? Or the All-Ireland series in which Dublin accrued more black cards than Mayo?

Poor WUM needs to work a lot harder :)

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 27/07/2017 16:51:41    2024556

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "If they're any way complacent and off their game and Galway improve again, as much as they did between Roscommon and Donegal, then Galway will win. A lot of ifs I know. Michael Meehan off the bench with 5 minutes to score the winning goal!"
Wouldn't that be something! Disney would be jumping for the movie rights (The Force Reawakens)!

festinog (Galway) - Posts: 3097 - 27/07/2017 17:29:38    2024580

Link

Replying To the_walls:  "Any thoughts on the JFK assassination, the moon landings or 9/11 while you're on the subject of conspiracy theories.

Just out of curiosity, where would have played that game in 2001?"
I do indeed, do ya know Kurt Cobin was murdered by Courtney Love instead of killing himself?

Wouldve been better having the game in Breffni Park or even have all games in Croker then - instead of dragging us off to the lonely west tip of Ireland where theres nothing but glorious motorway roads to be seen

OverBlackSpot (Roscommon) - Posts: 47 - 27/07/2017 17:33:33    2024581

Link

Well things have spiced up abit here a few lads getting a bit heated out there, calm down down lads! Anyways a few days to go I can see it being a tight game which could in either teams favour. Should be a spicy affair if it's anything like the debate on here.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 27/07/2017 17:55:52    2024595

Link

Replying To OverBlackSpot:  "I do indeed, do ya know Kurt Cobin was murdered by Courtney Love instead of killing himself?

Wouldve been better having the game in Breffni Park or even have all games in Croker then - instead of dragging us off to the lonely west tip of Ireland where theres nothing but glorious motorway roads to be seen"
Now now there's the odd bonfire around cloonfad and ballinlough to help them find the way home.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1764 - 27/07/2017 18:13:06    2024603

Link

Replying To john1971:  "I rate comer a better forward than moran, o Connor or a.o.s and he still was limited to small damage against Roscommon. K mc Stay and mc hale has something to prove to yourselves and to the mayo county board . Hope yer players behave themselves on the field all 1 has to do is watch the Dublin v Mayo reply last year to see yer style."
Your been silly and childish with these comments. I respect the opposition. They've been the best that the west can offer in the last decade albeit falling short in the last hurdle. Here's hoping for a cracking encounter and obviously the bit of harmless banter. I hope Ros hang in there early doors and be well placed in the final quarter when maybe just maybe our fitter legs will carry us true. PS. : a form guide for us will hinge on how Galway perform v Kerry at 2.00.

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 1080 - 27/07/2017 18:47:16    2024607

Link

Biggest mistake Ross could make is reading into the Galway win. Yes they showed heart and a will to win but they came up against a galway team that were flat. That's not taking away from Ross well deserved win.

Mayo are there for the taking, they will have tired legs. This is Ross best opportunity to win a big game and for the players to become heroes for life. Can they do it we see 545 Sunday

heartbroken (Galway) - Posts: 370 - 27/07/2017 19:30:56    2024613

Link

Replying To moros:  "Your been silly and childish with these comments. I respect the opposition. They've been the best that the west can offer in the last decade albeit falling short in the last hurdle. Here's hoping for a cracking encounter and obviously the bit of harmless banter. I hope Ros hang in there early doors and be well placed in the final quarter when maybe just maybe our fitter legs will carry us true. PS. : a form guide for us will hinge on how Galway perform v Kerry at 2.00."
how do you work out Ros are fitter?

centerfield (Mayo) - Posts: 360 - 27/07/2017 19:33:04    2024616

Link

Replying To festinog:  "Wouldn't that be something! Disney would be jumping for the movie rights (The Force Reawakens)!"
Game of Thrones is still hot. What about 'The Tribesmen beateth The Kingdom'?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 27/07/2017 20:09:57    2024626

Link

Replying To heartbroken:  "Biggest mistake Ross could make is reading into the Galway win. Yes they showed heart and a will to win but they came up against a galway team that were flat. That's not taking away from Ross well deserved win.

Mayo are there for the taking, they will have tired legs. This is Ross best opportunity to win a big game and for the players to become heroes for life. Can they do it we see 545 Sunday"
Win or lose on Sunday, this is a young Roscommon team that will get better and has plenty of big days ahead of them.There's nothing make or break about Sunday for Roscommon.Many of these players ,the Murtaghs, the Smiths, Sean Mullooly have been underage stars for Roscommon and they have many years of senior football ahead of them.While Mayo will likely win on Sunday, this Mayo team is nearing the end of a cycle.They peaked, probably around 2013 ,and are less likely to win the All-Ireland with every passing year.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2162 - 27/07/2017 21:18:14    2024652

Link