National Forum

Mayo vs Roscommon

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Llaw_Gyffes:  "Well that's my mind made up for me, I'm bringing home the turf on Sunday, not going to watch that rubbish."
Yeah me neither now....any spare fertiliser bags Llaw??

county man (Limerick) - Posts: 1102 - 24/07/2017 21:52:28    2022829

Link

LOL . The number of posters on here writing the obituaries for Mayo. Not sure whether they're trying to convince us or themselves. This team is battle hardened and used to battling to the death at the highest level and as the Summer progresses each year they get stronger. Sure there are a few lads over 30 but that's not a big problem if the conditioning is right e.g. Keith Higgins running the 70 mts and fisting the ball over the bar in 2nd period of extra time when younger men were going down with cramp. Harrison, Durkin, Keegan, crowe, AOS, D.O'c, C.O'C, Loftus, Doc, Regan, Boland, Crowe and Nally are youngsters. Waste no money on flowers for this team's funeral 'cos they're gonna be around for a while yet. Looking forward to a cracking game against our neighbours on Sunday and if we lose I'll be wishing them well for the rest of the campaign............."IF" !!

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 649 - 24/07/2017 22:15:50    2022841

Link

so are the sheep steelers goin to win this game handy

mayo_123 (Mayo) - Posts: 240 - 24/07/2017 22:19:04    2022845

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "No.. individually they are Mayos best players , however they are all in the 30 + age bracket and I believe another full season won't appeal to them. Lots of mileage up there.. Mayo are struggling as a group to beat these div 2 teams"
We'll be fkt without them.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 24/07/2017 22:27:55    2022851

Link

Replying To Sindar:  "I'm going to come out and say what I'm really thinking. First and foremost, I've admired this Mayo team and shouted for them in every game (Roscommon excepted of course) over the past few years. But I think they're a year behind Donegal in their slide which may seem mad considering how close they came last year. Roscommon should respect Moran, O'Shea, C. O'Connor and Keegan, a formidable foursome of course, but they're carrying the rest of the Mayo team. I'm not going to put in any "ifs" in here so I expect Roscommon to get their shooting boots on and outscore Mayo. It'll be a high scoring game but Roscommon have an eye for goal which Mayo do not and that'll be the differernce. Don't take offence Mayo fans and by all means remind next week should I be totally wrong or I'll be in the Davin stand (317) with my 6 y.o. if you want to tell me personally so keep it polite please. Rossies by 6."
are you kidding?
I'm expecting Mayo to score 2+ goals on Sunday and bury Roscommon like they have ever since 2011 when Roscommon let them off

valley84 (Westmeath) - Posts: 1890 - 24/07/2017 22:38:44    2022862

Link

Replying To mayo_123:  "so are the sheep steelers goin to win this game handy"
Sheep STEELER!!!! AT Aleast if your going to give a silly gibe bud please get your spelling right LOL !! Makes us out to be an American football team....

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 1080 - 24/07/2017 22:45:01    2022872

Link

The biggest worry this Sunday is Roscommon, Mayo, Galway and Kerry will all be in Dublin, the nordie livestock thieves will have a field day in the west with nobody catching them, Gardai will have to keep a lookout

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 24/07/2017 22:51:17    2022879

Link

Mayo are still the team most capable of beating Dublin. I would certainly favour mayo to beat Kerry.

Mayo are in a great place, their last few games will have galvanized them, alot like when Kerry came through the qualifiers to win Sam. Mayo are at the peak of their powers while Ros are very young and very honest with one isolated flash win over Galway to our name. The great fear for us is in the physical stakes, Mayo are simply monsters compared to us so much so that you'd worry for the safety of some of our young lads.
A hammering would be tough to take after the Connacht final. Hopefully we can be competitive and get some positives out of the experience to go forward with. Should be wonderful occasion.

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 24/07/2017 22:55:00    2022882

Link

Replying To county man:  "Yeah me neither now....any spare fertiliser bags Llaw??"
I cut back on the old fertiliser this year, with the price of it, but I'm sure I can spare you a few. Will you bring the bottles of tea?

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1113 - 24/07/2017 23:13:29    2022894

Link

Mayo are used to playing in Croker, Roscommon are not and took an awful hiding off Dublin in the league there. I believe Mayo will win unless they are too jaded. Someone said that Ros might get the better of them physically? Roscommon are one of the least physical teams left in it, if not, the very least.
They have nice footballers but if Mayo are fit enough, their experience will see them through. It would be a huge win for Roscommon, and who knows, it could be their day.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8591 - 24/07/2017 23:22:59    2022898

Link

Mayo are great ild like to thank them for letting us play them on sunday, itll be great watching a team that won so much since 2011 in action there a formidable outfit.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1764 - 25/07/2017 00:09:41    2022917

Link

Forecast is for rain on Sunday which will mean slippery conditions. Croker can be like an ice rink on those days. The slightest sign of nerves will mean a dropped ball.
Mayo won't have any nerves and I think the Rossies might be too nervous having not won a big match in Croker for 36 years.
If Mayo don't sort out their full back they could still lose but I'd expect them to be all business come Sunday and win handy enough

tirawleybaron (Mayo) - Posts: 1108 - 25/07/2017 06:58:16    2022949

Link

Replying To ponga:  "LOL . The number of posters on here writing the obituaries for Mayo. Not sure whether they're trying to convince us or themselves. This team is battle hardened and used to battling to the death at the highest level and as the Summer progresses each year they get stronger. Sure there are a few lads over 30 but that's not a big problem if the conditioning is right e.g. Keith Higgins running the 70 mts and fisting the ball over the bar in 2nd period of extra time when younger men were going down with cramp. Harrison, Durkin, Keegan, crowe, AOS, D.O'c, C.O'C, Loftus, Doc, Regan, Boland, Crowe and Nally are youngsters. Waste no money on flowers for this team's funeral 'cos they're gonna be around for a while yet. Looking forward to a cracking game against our neighbours on Sunday and if we lose I'll be wishing them well for the rest of the campaign............."IF" !!"
People are writing about the death of this Mayo team since 2014....naturally they will be eventually right which will make them feel all warm and fuzzy.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 25/07/2017 07:54:06    2022954

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Mayo are great ild like to thank them for letting us play them on sunday, itll be great watching a team that won so much since 2011 in action there a formidable outfit."
Said without a hint of irony. There are plenty of posters saying Mayo have had their day and Roscommon will beat us. One of your countymen reckons Roscommon by 6+! Sure I could come out with an equally childish post and say what's the point of us showing up, especially considering we're playing the Connacht Champions and we're only the 3rd best team in Connacht! People in general really do only see the things they want to see.

And just on a point of order, we've won a lot more than Roscommon since 2011.

the_walls (Mayo) - Posts: 495 - 25/07/2017 08:21:49    2022958

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "People are writing about the death of this Mayo team since 2014....naturally they will be eventually right which will make them feel all warm and fuzzy."
Nothing warm or fuzzy about it, yew. If you don't see age related decline in that team, you're kidding yourself. Even the Galway losses the last 2 seasons are due to it. We couldn't lay a glove on Mayo 2011-2014, and we haven't improved a whole lot recently. Mayo's decline is the explanation imo.

Pope_Benedict (Galway) - Posts: 3421 - 25/07/2017 10:06:59    2023021

Link

Replying To OhtobeARossie:  "Mayo are great ild like to thank them for letting us play them on sunday, itll be great watching a team that won so much since 2011 in action there a formidable outfit."
ye must be sick of winning in ros as well or maybe sick of losing I'm afraid once again yer bus will be parked up again in July for the winter

mayo_123 (Mayo) - Posts: 240 - 25/07/2017 10:40:17    2023036

Link

From a county that literally lost the plot after a minor All Ireland in 06 and hailed Donie Shine as the man who would dominate football for years to come? We may not have won the big one but we have won a couple of underage titles in the last few years and didn't make a big fuss about it. Maybe you lads will turn us over and fair play if you do, but until then it's best to keep the head down.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7891 - 25/07/2017 10:43:37    2023038

Link

Replying To mayo_123:  "ye must be sick of winning in ros as well or maybe sick of losing I'm afraid once again yer bus will be parked up again in July for the winter"
Roscommon have won more than Mayo in the last two years so dont be a Liverpool fan and talk history

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 25/07/2017 11:17:46    2023068

Link

Replying To mayo_123:  "ye must be sick of winning in ros as well or maybe sick of losing I'm afraid once again yer bus will be parked up again in July for the winter"
Sure how did I annoy ye everything I said was true.
Haven't ye been the most successful team in connacht from 2011 to 2015, 5 in a row
Sure what do you want me to say ye are a load of whingers, if I said that he would have me as taoiseach topping the poll down there.
All I said was true ye have a wonderful side.

OhtobeARossie (Roscommon) - Posts: 1764 - 25/07/2017 11:31:34    2023081

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "From a county that literally lost the plot after a minor All Ireland in 06 and hailed Donie Shine as the man who would dominate football for years to come? We may not have won the big one but we have won a couple of underage titles in the last few years and didn't make a big fuss about it. Maybe you lads will turn us over and fair play if you do, but until then it's best to keep the head down."
No serious football fan in Roscommon has Mayo other than short odd favourites on Sunday. Sure there may be wishful thinking in hoping that this Mayo team is in decline. But there is some evidence of it just like there is some evidence that Dublin are in a bit of a decline too. We in Roscommon are not disrespecting Mayo by hoping our team win and pointing out flaws we see. Mayo are still a top 4 team at worst and it will take a massive performance and some luck for us to win or even be withinn a score at the end. A narrow loss for Roscommon will set this young team up nicely for 2018 and beyond but a hammering would be a big setback. Physically Mayo ahve the strenght and power to totally boss this match and one can be sure McStay know this. Perhaps in the wide open spaces of Croke Park Roscommon can negate this somewhat.
I dont think anyone is accusing Mayo of not respecting Roscommon either but it is natural that Mayo ( in particular their supporters) will have one eye on a semi final. They are used to beating Roscommon and cannoy countenance anything else.
So folks should lay off the petty slagging. Mayo are deservedly favourites and should win.

Manstein (Roscommon) - Posts: 43 - 25/07/2017 12:16:53    2023121

Link