National Forum

Mayo vs Roscommon

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To yew_tree:  "Hard luck today and I sat near some nice Roscommon fans. I think you need a few more physically imposing lads...will the exiles return?"
Your right. Our conditioning and physicality are light years behind the top four. We were spent after last weeks effort and broke up as was obvious with selections. Certainly Collins, Harney,Corcoran maybe a few more would help in this regard. We need to buy into it. Ye have your best available us with less than half of Mayos pick don't.

Extremely hard and tough defeat such a diabolical performance as well especially against Mayo who have lorded it over us for so long. That said ye were excellent full of pace and intensity. Im Not bitter enough to wish ye well though and I hope ye beat Kerry

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 07/08/2017 22:35:18    2030673

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "I totally agree The Flaker and we often differ on subjects. There is nothing to suggest Roscommon can bridge the gap to the top 4. Probably Donegal under new management are best placed.

For what it's worth Mayo were excellent today and are an equal of the other 'big 3'. As i mentioned in another thread this Mayo team is the best to never win an all-ireland. Unbelievable levels of heart, consistency, skill and great players. I hope they win the All-Ireland and won't be stuck with the 'moniker' of the best team never to win an AI. Fans from counties shouting you'll never do anything, no matter what county they come from, are both ignorant and begrudging."
We are still behind Dublin and Kerry being honestbut just tired of listening to nonsense about good underage teams as if it guarantees senior success. They've been banging that drum since 06. Sure we have won 2 underage titles in the last 4 years. Doesn't guarantee senior success and we know better than most on that score.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7885 - 07/08/2017 22:53:43    2030682

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "In 2015 i watched Roscommon, full strength their supporters told me, play Laois in a league game in Portlaoise and they were easily beaten by 9 points. They were/are a very light team.

Last year Laois beat Armagh twice in the championship.

I know the level Laois are at and couldn't reconcile how Armagh seemed to have improved so much in a year and Roscommon were Connacht champions.

This weekend confirmed that after the top 4, about 12 to 15 teams, on a good year and well managed, could fill positions 5-8."
I've said that all along. After the top four its open season with about 10 teams. League means nothing anymore. Catch 22 busting a gut in div 1 for smaller team.

Can't help but feel your having a little cut there Matty when we are down. I was at that pointless league match and ye had about 60 fans fair play for being one of them,good luck with div four on that basis. At least we gave our nemesis (an elite top three team) three serious cuts the last few years and bet Galway in a Connacht final.

Ye fall apart at the sight of a Kildare Jersey!!!!

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 07/08/2017 23:06:26    2030688

Link

Replying To salvador:  "Your right. Our conditioning and physicality are light years behind the top four. We were spent after last weeks effort and broke up as was obvious with selections. Certainly Collins, Harney,Corcoran maybe a few more would help in this regard. We need to buy into it. Ye have your best available us with less than half of Mayos pick don't.

Extremely hard and tough defeat such a diabolical performance as well especially against Mayo who have lorded it over us for so long. That said ye were excellent full of pace and intensity. Im Not bitter enough to wish ye well though and I hope ye beat Kerry"
Too much being read into the final score today by fans and pundits. If you let a good team get a run on you then it's very hard to stop their momentum. Mayo found this in 2004 and 2006 against Kerry when we were fancied to go close. Learning from setbacks prepares you for making the next step and Mayo have shown in the years since that nobody, including Kerry and Dublin will get an easy run. It takes time to get to the really top level and a Roscommon team just starting that journey needs to be given time and patience. 3 Connacht teams in the last 8 proves the province is competitive and Mayo, Roscommon and Galway will all be dangerous again next summer. Roscommon will have more good days than bad in the next few years.

ponga (Mayo) - Posts: 648 - 07/08/2017 23:42:00    2030711

Link

Difficult to say how such a beating will affect young players. Hopefully they will be able to see it for what it was - just a 'bad day at the office' and ignore the criticism that will abound for a while. They are better than they showed today but not nearly as good as Mayo made them look in the first game. They are a small, light team lacking in physicality and experience. Conditioning and playing together more, even in D2, will develop confidence in their ability to play as a team even when under pressure, and also their physicality in the tackle but it would help immensely if we could get a few more physical players to commit to the panel.
Good luck to Mayo. Having grown up on the great Mayo team of early fifties, I would love to see this team bring Sam home.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 07/08/2017 23:50:09    2030715

Link

Replying To salvador:  "I've said that all along. After the top four its open season with about 10 teams. League means nothing anymore. Catch 22 busting a gut in div 1 for smaller team.

Can't help but feel your having a little cut there Matty when we are down. I was at that pointless league match and ye had about 60 fans fair play for being one of them,good luck with div four on that basis. At least we gave our nemesis (an elite top three team) three serious cuts the last few years and bet Galway in a Connacht final.

Ye fall apart at the sight of a Kildare Jersey!!!!"
It's not intended as a pop at Roscommon and i apologise if it seems so.

Yes loads of Rossies in Portlaoise that day! it's just i didn't see anything in Roscommon that suggested ye'd be a top 5 team. I mean my comment to be objective comment and analysis.

Oh ye're way ahead of Laois now as are 24 teams! We're a shambles. Just sometimes at a league game you spot 4 or 5 players or something that you say these boys have a big future. I thought Galway more so from our league games but ye showed they weren't the genuine article either.

I'm sorry to be cruel with my take on things. It's an awful day for ye and we've been there too. I feel if ye had lost by 5 or 6 points today the Connacht medals would mean more to the players. Just it's hard to feel as good about the title now as a fortnight ago.

Very best wishes for the future and i hope you prove me wrong. You are a very genuine poster Salvidor.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 08/08/2017 00:17:48    2030729

Link

Replying To TheFlaker:  "We are still behind Dublin and Kerry being honestbut just tired of listening to nonsense about good underage teams as if it guarantees senior success. They've been banging that drum since 06. Sure we have won 2 underage titles in the last 4 years. Doesn't guarantee senior success and we know better than most on that score."
We had a golden spell of underage in Laois 1994-2003 and one Leinster denior title :) We had no success before and players were put on a pedestal, bought drinks everywhere, all the usual that a Dublin minor or a Kilkenny hurling minor wouldn't have to deal with as they'd still be nobodies.

I don't know if ye're that far away from Kerry and Dublin. I'd back ye against Tyrone in a final. 1989, 2004, 2013 and 2016.. Don't think they ever beat ye in championship.

I feel ye'd probably be AI champs last year only for the goal keeping change. About 1-3 came from it.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 08/08/2017 00:22:08    2030731

Link

Replying To salvador:  "I've said that all along. After the top four its open season with about 10 teams. League means nothing anymore. Catch 22 busting a gut in div 1 for smaller team.

Ye fall apart at the sight of a Kildare Jersey!!!!"
2005 was the last time we beat Kildare in Leinster. 21 pts to 9pts. We have some good talent at U16 and U17. If we can develop them in 6 or 7 years who knows.

We're a small dual county punching above our weight generally, bar the last 2 in football. We contested Leinster football finals in football in the 1980s, 1990s, 2000s. And hurling in the 1980s. We're still a top 10/11 hurling team.

Only Limerick, Cork, Tipperary, Clare, Galway, Antrim (football 2009), Down, Derry, Offaly, Wexford, Dublin, have competed in provincial finals in both codes in that time. Now yourselves, Roscommon, also did in the 1980s and up to around 2000 but it was just token opposition to Galway mostly. Ye were probably at your best in the 1980s and gave a few top teams very good games.

But the point i'm making is Laois are down a bit at the moment but throughout our history we've flown the flag well for both codes for a small county.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 08/08/2017 00:36:18    2030734

Link

As a rossie hard defeat to take yesterday but hands up mayo were exceptional. Best of luck going forward.

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 760 - 08/08/2017 09:15:14    2030784

Link

Replying To OverBlackSpot:  "Well that was a terrible showing. All congrats to mayo and genuinely hope they do well against kerry but my god that was on the same level as a training session for them today.

Unfortunately think mcstay just over thought the replay by saving lads for later in game and we got beaten out the door very early on. Can only hope that sort of game didn't damage Mayo's chances against kerry"
You have really changed your tune post game! From reading your comments during the week it is fairly obvious your tail is well between your legs now.

AustinGleeson6 (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 08/08/2017 09:25:29    2030792

Link

Replying To AustinGleeson6:  "You have really changed your tune post game! From reading your comments during the week it is fairly obvious your tail is well between your legs now."
Jaysus thats some talk considering we beat ye well in then Connacht final. We were a disgrace yesterday alright but where does that leave Galway?

OverBlackSpot (Roscommon) - Posts: 47 - 08/08/2017 10:10:14    2030829

Link

Replying To Belclare1:  "Well done to the Mayo lads and also the Posters here for been fair on the Roscommon lads, its never easy when your team looses to the neighbours esp like today but we all will move on. Unlike the lad on Mayogaablog who had to twist the knife in with his childish "we are kings of Connacht now" Its the likes of him who drive people against them. Best of luck to Mayo theg will put it right up to Kerry unlike our own fellas."
Belclare right on cue with your Mayo fans "the reason why people dislike them" comment. You pick out a comment that offends you and run with it...why are you even reading the Mayo fans GAA blog if it annoys you so much? It's a bit like that "Mayo will never win an All Ireland" Facebook page run by a few Galway lads.

For the record Roscommon are still Connacht Champions and Mayo are still the best team in Connacht but that means little at this stage. Mayo need to win the All Ireland and anything less makes yesterdays result pointless.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 08/08/2017 10:22:34    2030839

Link

Mayo beat the roscommon team that turned up in last year's connacht final replay,the ross team you saw yesterday is what galway expected to meet in this year's connacht final.galway have beaten mayo twice in the last 2 years and we are still well off the pace,wouldn't read too much into yesterday's game,kerry by six I'm afraid.

cornetto (Galway) - Posts: 223 - 08/08/2017 10:44:24    2030853

Link

A defeat like that last Monday leaves a panel of players and its management team at the crossroads. One road will lead to recovery the over will send Roscommon back to the level they were 5 years ago (A Div 3 team)

When a team lose by more than 10 points it says more about the team receiving the beating than the team that are giving it out. All of the problem areas during the league came home to roost in that replay last Monday. A defence that seemed to improving against Mayo the first day and Galway in the Connacht final had a system meltdown and Mayo to their credit smelt blood and went for the kill early. The lack of strength in depth with both the starting team and sub bench was clear to see. No leadership and lack of experienced as ten point beating became a 20 plus point beating. The body language from early on was telling from the Roscommon players it goes to show a week is along time in football but lets be honest if fully tuned in Roscommon would have at least given a competitive performance in that replay.

Time is healer and no choice but to lick their wounds now. To win a provincial title for a County of Roscommon size and resources is always a good achievement and something to build on the super 8 competition will not be suited to counties like Roscommon and i hope after the 3 years trial period that it is scrapped but still McStay is correct if they don't reach the super 8 next year then they are at nothing.

As for Mayo they beat what was in front of them last Monday, they haven't got it that easy in a game since a poorly organized Sligo team allowed them to rub their bellies in the Connacht final 2015. That Mayo team were eventually well beaten by Dublin, we'll know more about this current Mayo team against Kerry next i just found it very strange that Rochford would show so much of his hand last Monday to Eamon Fitzmaurice before they clash

Gaa_lover (USA) - Posts: 3338 - 09/08/2017 18:09:20    2031721

Link

Replying To Gaa_lover:  "A defeat like that last Monday leaves a panel of players and its management team at the crossroads. One road will lead to recovery the over will send Roscommon back to the level they were 5 years ago (A Div 3 team)

When a team lose by more than 10 points it says more about the team receiving the beating than the team that are giving it out. All of the problem areas during the league came home to roost in that replay last Monday. A defence that seemed to improving against Mayo the first day and Galway in the Connacht final had a system meltdown and Mayo to their credit smelt blood and went for the kill early. The lack of strength in depth with both the starting team and sub bench was clear to see. No leadership and lack of experienced as ten point beating became a 20 plus point beating. The body language from early on was telling from the Roscommon players it goes to show a week is along time in football but lets be honest if fully tuned in Roscommon would have at least given a competitive performance in that replay.

Time is healer and no choice but to lick their wounds now. To win a provincial title for a County of Roscommon size and resources is always a good achievement and something to build on the super 8 competition will not be suited to counties like Roscommon and i hope after the 3 years trial period that it is scrapped but still McStay is correct if they don't reach the super 8 next year then they are at nothing.

As for Mayo they beat what was in front of them last Monday, they haven't got it that easy in a game since a poorly organized Sligo team allowed them to rub their bellies in the Connacht final 2015. That Mayo team were eventually well beaten by Dublin, we'll know more about this current Mayo team against Kerry next i just found it very strange that Rochford would show so much of his hand last Monday to Eamon Fitzmaurice before they clash"
Agree with most if not all of that post.We were very poor last Monday.People talking up Mayo on the basis of Monday are overstating things.They may beat Kerry but I wouldn't be reading anything in to the 4-19 they scored against us.A junior team would defend better than Roscommon did last Monday.Roscommon are young and they can learn from Monday and improve.I agree that last Monday is not ideal preparation for Mayo ahead of the Kerry match.Nothing that happened in the Mayo v Roscommon replay will bear any resemblance to what happens on August 20 between Mayo and Kerry.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2155 - 09/08/2017 18:59:45    2031730

Link

Majority of Mayo ppl are not getting carried away with the scoreline from the replay, the preformance was alot better from Mayo we had Higgins, Vaughan, Mcloughlin running at defences with some intent which had been missing all year pretty much and we got goals and this has given some optimism..I would say Roscommon cant look that much into the first drawn game as Mayo were terrible that day, worst ive seen them all year and it was Keegan that got them through it esp in first half..

tommy132 (Mayo) - Posts: 600 - 09/08/2017 23:28:53    2031805

Link

Replying To tommy132:  "Majority of Mayo ppl are not getting carried away with the scoreline from the replay, the preformance was alot better from Mayo we had Higgins, Vaughan, Mcloughlin running at defences with some intent which had been missing all year pretty much and we got goals and this has given some optimism..I would say Roscommon cant look that much into the first drawn game as Mayo were terrible that day, worst ive seen them all year and it was Keegan that got them through it esp in first half.."
I would suggest drawing with Div two teams Derry,Cork was worse from Mayo. Also lost to Galway again who Roscommon went on to beat by nine points. The only terrible i seen over the two quarter finals was Roscommon in that replay. It was said on here before the first game if Roscommon had the right attitude and came with a game plan that would have them organized then they would push Mayo all the way if the opposite and allowed the occasion get to them then Roscommon would be hammered by a seasoned and experienced team like Mayo and so it proved correct.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 845 - 10/08/2017 15:35:20    2032022

Link

Replying To salvador:  "Your right. Our conditioning and physicality are light years behind the top four. We were spent after last weeks effort and broke up as was obvious with selections. Certainly Collins, Harney,Corcoran maybe a few more would help in this regard. We need to buy into it. Ye have your best available us with less than half of Mayos pick don't.

Extremely hard and tough defeat such a diabolical performance as well especially against Mayo who have lorded it over us for so long. That said ye were excellent full of pace and intensity. Im Not bitter enough to wish ye well though and I hope ye beat Kerry"
Well I'd be damned you of all people talking about missing players. Did the penny finally drop? don't forget the three Daly brothers. talented and athletic footballers full of running. Two of the three were starters on Sigerson cup winning teams.

Yondu (UK) - Posts: 845 - 10/08/2017 15:43:09    2032024

Link

Pity the ref missed the double hop by Kevin McLoughlin for Mayo's first goal.Ros never recovered from the bad start.At this level,a double bounce for a goal should not be missed by the officials.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2155 - 10/08/2017 15:55:44    2032030

Link

Replying To endgame:  "Pity the ref missed the double hop by Kevin McLoughlin for Mayo's first goal.Ros never recovered from the bad start.At this level,a double bounce for a goal should not be missed by the officials."
Mayo would have won well without the first goal...you could see from the very first minute Mayo were all over Roscommon....it was a non event.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 10/08/2017 16:47:28    2032053

Link