National Forum

Mayo vs Roscommon

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

A few issues from mayo's performance going in to the next game.
I think Cafferky should be dropped. Is Crowe a viable full back? It's not somewhere he has played a lot because he is very good going forward. I have not seen enough of him.
Durcan should start. 2 points when he came on.
I hate seeing Andy come off. I don't believe the line that he is not fit enough for 70. Plays around the middle for club for full games.
Our bench is not strong enough. We are not Dublin. The team that finished was not near as good as the starting team. Coen gave away the ball for leveling point and Regan missed what came his way.
Goals came when Barret was taken off. He was doing OK so should not have been taken off. Put back on again for extra time. Poor decision from rochford
Great to see Andy, cillian and aido click so well

nextyear (Mayo) - Posts: 60 - 23/07/2017 13:44:32    2021692

Link

85% of the Mayo team is already picked for next Sunday as they didn't play the entire game plus extra time, Clarke has to start, Barrett, Keegan, Boyle, Durcan, that's 4 of our 6, I would give the other corner back position to Higgins or Harrison, start 1 and if he gets tired during the 2nd half take him off and put on the other man, start Seamie O'Shea in midfield, also start Andy Moran, Regan and Loftus in full forward line, maybe Vaughan at 11, I'd give the 2 O'Connor's, Aiden O'Shea, McLoughlin and Parsons a rest, bring them on during the game if needed, is big Barry Moran match fit or the Ballintubber lad I forget his name for midfield, in all honestly fatigue shouldn't be an issue for majority of the team, I think only 8 played the whole game plus extra time or nearly all extra time

riverboys (Mayo) - Posts: 1389 - 23/07/2017 15:57:42    2021795

Link

Look Roscommon are not a good team, with a very poor management, who caught a complacent Galway very much on the hop, although mayo so far this year have been a shadow of themselves, even a shadow of Mayo will trounce one of the worst teams to reach last 8 (I include London in that)

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 23/07/2017 16:59:49    2021860

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Look Roscommon are not a good team, with a very poor management, who caught a complacent Galway very much on the hop, although mayo so far this year have been a shadow of themselves, even a shadow of Mayo will trounce one of the worst teams to reach last 8 (I include London in that)"
Doent say much for ye lads!

Belclare1 (Galway) - Posts: 1626 - 23/07/2017 17:12:31    2021865

Link

Replying To royaldunne:  "Look Roscommon are not a good team, with a very poor management, who caught a complacent Galway very much on the hop, although mayo so far this year have been a shadow of themselves, even a shadow of Mayo will trounce one of the worst teams to reach last 8 (I include London in that)"
London never reached the last 8?? Anyways how can you say they are one of the worst teams to reach the last 8, when they well beat a Galway team that themselves are in the last 8, and have beaten two Division 1 teams.

Sounds like sour grapes against Roscommon.....

county man (Limerick) - Posts: 1102 - 23/07/2017 17:19:10    2021868

Link

Can only see a win for mayo here, Roscommon have done great winning there province but this will be end of the road mayo by 6.

Yourjoking (USA) - Posts: 705 - 23/07/2017 17:59:41    2021892

Link

Roscommon have nothing to lose while mayo have everything to lose, should make for a great game of ball.

billythekid69 (USA) - Posts: 35 - 23/07/2017 18:09:24    2021907

Link

Roscommon have a very young team .I expect them to develop in to a fine team over the next few years.Don't know how you can describe Kevin McStay as a poor Manager.He won an All-Ireland club title with Brigid's and has now won a Senior Connacht title in his first year as sole Manager of Roscommon.He'll have Roscommon ready next Sunday but Mayo are a very experienced and seasoned team and Mayo are rightly favourites for next Sunday.You should concentrate your energies on getting Meath out of their slumber.I remember when Meath were Dublin's equal in Leinster.Seems a long time ago.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2162 - 23/07/2017 18:22:35    2021911

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "Yes I have predicted Mayo wins and yes I am going for a Galway win. They drew to Cork and Derry and we're lucky on both. They struggled to Clare massively. What do you want me to say.
They aren't the team they used to be."
I'd like to point out people talk about Mayo not being as good as they were 2-3 years ago but until last year Mayo hadn't drawn an all Ireland final since I think 96. They can within a point of an all Ireland, all the other finals in between they were pretty much bet out the gate most of the time or at least comfortably bet.

Although they have no real form it's a bit daft to totally drop them out as not as able to contend with ourselves Kerry or Dublin. Mayo clearly do not work in terms of form. Found that out the hard way last year ! It's all the day with them and regardless of how crap they play against an average team (like last year with nearly every team and Tipp)they still managed to give a real go to Dublin not once but twice.

Yes Mayo are not the team they were 2-3 years . These days they are just ridiculously unpredictable,random somewhat entertaining because of their near misses and collapses but not the same team more in terms of unpredictablity than being not able to beat the best . I don't know what to make of them. I won't be putting any bets on them for any match that's for sure .but I wouldn't write them off because of their form. They obviously don't seem to work that way.

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 23/07/2017 19:08:00    2021945

Link

Roscommon need to remember they are the Connacht champs

Take the game to Mayo and play with confidence

If they do that then they could really trouble Mayo, McStay will have them well prepared but just think Mayos experience will see them win.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 23/07/2017 19:29:17    2021970

Link

Replying To cluichethar:  "Keegan should have got no card The Cork player pulled him back and the ref seen it and let it go If he'd called the blatant foul nothing else would have happened He chose not to for some unknown reason Then calls Keegan for the trip 1 of the refs only bad decisions all day"
Regardless if he was pulled back Keegan shouldn't have lashed out I'm sure he will be dissapointed. We seem to have a bit of indiscipline has creeped in this year looks like the standards of the black arts have caught up to the top teams.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 23/07/2017 23:27:15    2022163

Link

Think you should go back to your bucket and spade in Bettystown Royal Dunne and think hard how ye are now the third team in Leinster who Dublin and Kildare now squat easily. ......anyhow leaving his sad comments aside...this should be a cracking encounter. Mayo the hardenend seasoned campaigners against Roscommon who have youth and Energy in their ranks. Both teams will be highly charged.. I think we can win.. I really hope our forwards open up in Croker and show the country that we are an up and coming county. The very best to both teams and sure there will be good banter in the upcoming week.

moros (Roscommon) - Posts: 1080 - 23/07/2017 23:51:51    2022179

Link

Can see the rossies getting a spanking here.

Vishred (Mayo) - Posts: 303 - 24/07/2017 04:13:26    2022211

Link

That's an amazing viewpoint RD. McStay's a very shrewd operator, who so far this year has delivered on what he set out to do in terms of objectives. The lessons of 2016 were applied in the approach to the league and Galway were lined up by a very young side with 2 years of Div 1 under their belts right from when the draw was made late last year. He's also not been dealing off a full deck personnel wise, with a number of good players opting out. This Rossie team has bags of talent and will play you off the park if you let them. McStay has announced the team already for next weekend to make the statement that they know what they're about, and to try to draw Mayo into focussing on Roscommon rather than on themselves. Mayo badly need to keep the spotlight shining in, as we've got problems that even a child could see. They are fixable though too I believe. Forwards at least are at last in the groove, with only Evan Regan still showing the yips.

GOTyrones, I think no one can argue against your point that Mayo's form this year and last is impossible to read, but they are outside of the Dubs the most consistent team in terms of contending the latter stages for the last 6 years. What we've had the last 2 is a product of a late approach to collective championship preparation, which has us behind a lot of our opponents up to the middle of summer. It's a gamble, but one the panel has to take, as we've a logistical challenge getting everyone together, which some rivals don't have.

For the next day, we've got to maintain form throughout the game, and as much as I've always admired his footballing ability, we've got to look at our fullback. He's never been abrasive relying on his football instead, but his confidence now seems to have deserted him. The Rossies will make hay the next day if we don't shore things up.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 24/07/2017 09:12:44    2022247

Link

Again, depends which Mayo turn up. It's so hard to tell even from quarter to quarter these days!

If we can bring the intensity that we showed in the third quarter of the game on Saturday, then there's no reason why we can't win this with something to spare. Many people are talking about Roscommon's forward line on the back of their Connacht final performance, but are forgetting that Mayo hit 27 points the last day out, which is some scoring in anyone's language.

The difficulty for Mayo at the moment is that opposing teams are boring holes down the centre, which would have been a strong point of the team until this season. If Roscommon can break even at midfield then they could have some joy there, especially given the quality of some of their attackers. Full back is also a weakness that has been apparent for a long long time and which needs changing, IMO. Perhaps Harrison or Donie Vaughan can do a job there?

As for predictions, the only one I'm making at this point is that my blood pressure will go through the roof again!

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 24/07/2017 09:24:01    2022252

Link

Kevin McStay gave a very interesting interview on Newstalk. By the sound of of it, he doesn't even think Roscommon are ready to win this type of game yet. I hope he doesn't actually believe that. We can certainly give mayo a rattle.

Rosfan (Roscommon) - Posts: 778 - 24/07/2017 09:28:42    2022257

Link

You got to love Sport.

Rossies Connacht Champions.. Hammered the team who knocked Mayo out of the Connacht championship
Mayo.. Have won less than 50% of their championship games after 70 mins.. 2 wins (Sligo and Clare) 2 draws (Derry and Cork) and 1 loss (Galway)..
Mayo 4/11 to win and Roscommon 3/1 to win...

This is prob more down to the unpredictability of Galway more than anything to do Mayo or Roscommon..

Mayo are building momentum nicely and are extremely difficult to beat and the Rossies will love being massive underdogs.. looking forward to this one..

MURPHB33 (Dublin) - Posts: 166 - 24/07/2017 09:36:22    2022261

Link

Replying To riverboys:  "85% of the Mayo team is already picked for next Sunday as they didn't play the entire game plus extra time, Clarke has to start, Barrett, Keegan, Boyle, Durcan, that's 4 of our 6, I would give the other corner back position to Higgins or Harrison, start 1 and if he gets tired during the 2nd half take him off and put on the other man, start Seamie O'Shea in midfield, also start Andy Moran, Regan and Loftus in full forward line, maybe Vaughan at 11, I'd give the 2 O'Connor's, Aiden O'Shea, McLoughlin and Parsons a rest, bring them on during the game if needed, is big Barry Moran match fit or the Ballintubber lad I forget his name for midfield, in all honestly fatigue shouldn't be an issue for majority of the team, I think only 8 played the whole game plus extra time or nearly all extra time"
you don't rate the rossies so?

Tarismelting22 (Roscommon) - Posts: 760 - 24/07/2017 10:52:48    2022349

Link

Replying To Rosfan:  "Kevin McStay gave a very interesting interview on Newstalk. By the sound of of it, he doesn't even think Roscommon are ready to win this type of game yet. I hope he doesn't actually believe that. We can certainly give mayo a rattle."
That's just part of the expectation these days, Kevin's just feeding the media monster with some sort of narrative. Will mean sfa at the weekend.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 24/07/2017 11:35:45    2022410

Link

Agree the game could depend on which Mayo show up. If we bring our A game we win the game but a drop off and we will be in trouble. Mayo play their best football in Croke Park and I think the big game experience and overall power will see us through. That is what I am hoping for anyway.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11230 - 24/07/2017 11:53:46    2022441

Link