National Forum

Never Heard Of Him!

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It does seem to be the default setting off a new pundit/attention seeker. Be Critical of Ulster football, get a few headlines and a few begrudgers will agree with you. He is in prime position for a seat on the Sunday game.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 15/07/2017 20:52:05    2017135

Link

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "If you haven't heard of him then maybe you only started watching football in 2002 when the Ulster teams destroyed football. So that explains why you don't think that was such a bad thing. You didn't see any football in the 90s. What were you into instead? Sega mega drive?"
Horrible post .

Posters like you put me and many others off this forum.

Very distasteful stuff altogether.

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 15/07/2017 20:57:53    2017139

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "So a former Kildare footballer called Willie McCreery has been lambasting Ulster football calling it horrible and unwatchable?? I can honestly say I have never heard of the guy such is the impression he made on Gaelic football; maybe that's why he is now a horse trainer? The truth is that without the Ulster Championship this year, where the best games have been, Gaelic football would be a dross. Tomorrow we will witness another Leinster coronation for Dublin which will be over by the tenth minute. Maybe Willie can give us another view after that?"
You must be about 10 years of age so if you never heard of him.

He is a very good horse trainer these days.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 15/07/2017 20:59:15    2017142

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "UM, Willie Mc was a super baller back in the 90's on a very good Kildare team. He would have been up there with Glen Ryan, Martin Lynch, Anthony Rainbow, Dermot Earley and Niall Buckley, in that bracket.
He was a top player."
I remember Willie as a capable mid fielder for Kildare. He didn't have the same high profile as Lynch, Rainbow, Early, Buckley, Ryan but he sure was a tireless workhorse .. no pun intended. They were contenders and a pity that they didn't win an AI in that period.
Heard him interviewed on a horse racing topic some months ago and he mentioned that he was so busy with his horses that he seldom gets to watch a gaelic football match anymore, even one involving Kildare.
Ulster football has competed well at All Ireland level with 9 titles in 25 years. Such confidence means that most Ulster folk will only be mildly amused and not feel too defensive at a ' throw away misinformed' comment. I did notice his comment was directed mainly at Tyrone and any casual viewer would be influenced by TSG panelist C. O'Rourke summary after they scored 22 points v Derry when he uttered ' Mickey Harte proved again today that he is not in the business of entertaining'. Most fair minded observers would claim that any team scoring 0.22 and 1.21 in consecutive matches must be doing something right.
So lads go easy on Willie, he is entitled to his opinion and isn't being paid by our licence fee to give his 'expert opinion'.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 506 - 15/07/2017 20:59:24    2017143

Link

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "If you haven't heard of him then maybe you only started watching football in 2002 when the Ulster teams destroyed football. So that explains why you don't think that was such a bad thing. You didn't see any football in the 90s. What were you into instead? Sega mega drive?"
Extremely childish post.

Wally (Tyrone) - Posts: 912 - 15/07/2017 21:00:11    2017144

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "It does seem to be the default setting off a new pundit/attention seeker. Be Critical of Ulster football, get a few headlines and a few begrudgers will agree with you. He is in prime position for a seat on the Sunday game."
Why on earth would he want to be a football pundit? The guy is a group 1 winning trainer for owners like Sheikh Mohamed and the Niarchos family. He's doing alright for himself!

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 15/07/2017 21:08:12    2017147

Link

Replying To The_Fridge:  "It does seem to be the default setting off a new pundit/attention seeker. Be Critical of Ulster football, get a few headlines and a few begrudgers will agree with you. He is in prime position for a seat on the Sunday game."
I wouldn't think Willie would have much interest in football punditry considering how successful and busy he is with his horse training. Perhaps he was just asked a question and gave an honest opinion, an opinion many agree with?! I don't know what he would be begrudging either considering 1 senior All-Ireland has gone to Ulster this decade, surely if he is the begrudging sort he would have more to say on Dublin or Kerry?

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 15/07/2017 21:20:40    2017156

Link

What was I into in the 90's......did no one tell you.....son?

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9702 - 15/07/2017 21:40:04    2017167

Link

Replying To beir_bua:  "Why on earth would he want to be a football pundit? The guy is a group 1 winning trainer for owners like Sheikh Mohamed and the Niarchos family. He's doing alright for himself!"
It's not all about money.
I'm making a general point about criticism of Ulster football.
As another poster stated he hasn't even watched football so how does he know what kind of football is played in Ulster? Clearly reads the Sunday Independent.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 15/07/2017 21:48:36    2017173

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "What was I into in the 90's......did no one tell you.....son?"
Very good.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 15/07/2017 21:56:33    2017181

Link

Fair pls to Willie. You won't get a more noble, honest, un polluted sport than the one he is currently involved in now....

LaLu (Louth) - Posts: 233 - 15/07/2017 23:30:20    2017235

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I don't remember him either, anyway he must have been fairly sickened when Cass kicked that winning point in 2011, ohh the pain inflicted by the Ulstermen!!"
You must be a teenager.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 15/07/2017 23:31:28    2017236

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "What was I into in the 90's......did no one tell you.....son?"
Whatever you were into in the 1990s a couple of the recent threads you started have done little for your credibility.

You're taking pride in your ignorance on this thread and really showing you have a shallow knowledge of gaelic games.

The thread you started about the death of Antrim hurling after the Christy Ring defeat to Carlow was disrespectful to the great tradition of Antrim hurling and equally disrespectful to Carlow who are a progressing team. You profess to be 'Ulsterman' and then belittle the great work being done in the promotion of hurling in Antrim, Down,Derry and Armagh.

I actually used enjoy some of your posts as they were challenging and sometimes an interesting take. As of late you're moaning, whinging and whining like a spoilt child.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 15/07/2017 23:47:54    2017243

Link

Replying To LaLu:  "Fair pls to Willie. You won't get a more noble, honest, un polluted sport than the one he is currently involved in now...."
I like Willie but if you think Horse Racing is the most honest unpolluted sport you haven't a clue.

KK1926 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 175 - 16/07/2017 00:10:42    2017258

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "Whatever you were into in the 1990s a couple of the recent threads you started have done little for your credibility.

You're taking pride in your ignorance on this thread and really showing you have a shallow knowledge of gaelic games.

The thread you started about the death of Antrim hurling after the Christy Ring defeat to Carlow was disrespectful to the great tradition of Antrim hurling and equally disrespectful to Carlow who are a progressing team. You profess to be 'Ulsterman' and then belittle the great work being done in the promotion of hurling in Antrim, Down,Derry and Armagh.

I actually used enjoy some of your posts as they were challenging and sometimes an interesting take. As of late you're moaning, whinging and whining like a spoilt child."
I can take it......... Laois I can take it..............blub blub! I am getting older, not that old, and the oul arthritis is kicking in so cut me some slack FFS. I used to play Irish League football on a Saturday and Antrim GAA on a Sunday and my joints are now crumbling into dust.......but I am not one for complaining. Firstly I don't disrespect my own county or Carlow. I get sad and frustrated at the state of Antrim hurling and football. I don't think modern day Antrim county players have the same backbone or fight in them as days gone by. Carlow hurling has made great strides and there's no doubt geography has helped them, being in the midst of hurling counties whereas we don't have that. Kildare have had some very good footballing sides over the past 2 decades but Willie McCreery's remarks about Ulster football were bang out of order and untrue. Were Peter Canavan, Stevie O'Neill, Sean Cavanagh, Cormac McAnallen (RIP), Oisin McConville. Stevie McDonnell, Diarmuid Marsden, Ronan Clarke, Michael Murphy, Colm McFadden, Karl Lacey etc BAD footballers with no ability or skill? It's total disrespect on McCreery's part and that's when I MUST defend my province. There's a lazy stereotype there and it has to be challenged.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9702 - 16/07/2017 00:22:57    2017264

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "I can take it......... Laois I can take it..............blub blub! I am getting older, not that old, and the oul arthritis is kicking in so cut me some slack FFS. I used to play Irish League football on a Saturday and Antrim GAA on a Sunday and my joints are now crumbling into dust.......but I am not one for complaining. Firstly I don't disrespect my own county or Carlow. I get sad and frustrated at the state of Antrim hurling and football. I don't think modern day Antrim county players have the same backbone or fight in them as days gone by. Carlow hurling has made great strides and there's no doubt geography has helped them, being in the midst of hurling counties whereas we don't have that. Kildare have had some very good footballing sides over the past 2 decades but Willie McCreery's remarks about Ulster football were bang out of order and untrue. Were Peter Canavan, Stevie O'Neill, Sean Cavanagh, Cormac McAnallen (RIP), Oisin McConville. Stevie McDonnell, Diarmuid Marsden, Ronan Clarke, Michael Murphy, Colm McFadden, Karl Lacey etc BAD footballers with no ability or skill? It's total disrespect on McCreery's part and that's when I MUST defend my province. There's a lazy stereotype there and it has to be challenged."
Why didn't you just address the issue of his comments then without the 'I Never Heard of Him' thread title.

I doubt McCreery disrespects any of those great players you mentioned.

I don't have a them and us attitude to Ulster or any province. I thoroughly enjoyed the first half of Armagh v Down, the full matches of Monaghan and Cavan and Monaghan and Down. I think Tyrone are scoring freely. I've always been a fan of Ulster hurling, be it Gerard McGrattan of Down v Cork in 1992, Antrim in 1989, Derry putting it up to the top class Offaly side in 2000. I've no problem with any province.

I feel you carry the weight of the world with this Ulster v the rest agenda. Is the main reason a historical one? The south's selling out of the north in 1921-22 and creating a cosy Free State for themselves? As a student of history i actually have trouble with that. But time is moving on and we have to work in the here and now.

But anti Ulster, not me or most people i know. McCreery's comments were probably a bit loose. And you're right, a tired cliché.

KK1926 (Kilkenny) - Posts: 175 - 16/07/2017 00:44:40    2017277

Link

Sorry that comment to Ulsterman is from myself Laois76.

My brother KK1926 laptop is out of order and he's been posting here and i keep forgetting to log out. I've been down at his house hurling with my nephew all day hence the laptop being in his house at the moment. Apologies for confusion Ulsterman.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 16/07/2017 00:48:20    2017278

Link

Replying To KK1926:  "I like Willie but if you think Horse Racing is the most honest unpolluted sport you haven't a clue."
I think that may have been an ironic post about horse racing.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9702 - 16/07/2017 00:49:40    2017279

Link

Replying To KK1926:  "I like Willie but if you think Horse Racing is the most honest unpolluted sport you haven't a clue."
You lost me at I like Willie

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8591 - 16/07/2017 01:07:24    2017283

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "I can take it......... Laois I can take it..............blub blub! I am getting older, not that old, and the oul arthritis is kicking in so cut me some slack FFS. I used to play Irish League football on a Saturday and Antrim GAA on a Sunday and my joints are now crumbling into dust.......but I am not one for complaining. Firstly I don't disrespect my own county or Carlow. I get sad and frustrated at the state of Antrim hurling and football. I don't think modern day Antrim county players have the same backbone or fight in them as days gone by. Carlow hurling has made great strides and there's no doubt geography has helped them, being in the midst of hurling counties whereas we don't have that. Kildare have had some very good footballing sides over the past 2 decades but Willie McCreery's remarks about Ulster football were bang out of order and untrue. Were Peter Canavan, Stevie O'Neill, Sean Cavanagh, Cormac McAnallen (RIP), Oisin McConville. Stevie McDonnell, Diarmuid Marsden, Ronan Clarke, Michael Murphy, Colm McFadden, Karl Lacey etc BAD footballers with no ability or skill? It's total disrespect on McCreery's part and that's when I MUST defend my province. There's a lazy stereotype there and it has to be challenged."
I'm sorry to hear about your knees and joints. Ageing sucks. You can't turn or run the way you used to, you play with kids and the next day your crippled.

We have to make the best of it though and be thankful for what we had and what we've still got. I was just watching a documentary with my brother on Jonah Lomu returning to South Africa in 2015, 20 years after that World Cup. His muscles were disintegrating and he was shuffling around with Nephrotic Syndrome. He met Joost Van der Westhuizen, in the later stages of Motor Neuron. Very emotional meeting but both men were so brave.

I don't know you Ulsterman and what you suffer but i presume the 2 of us are better off than those rugby greats who have sadly passed away.

Chin up. Antrim like Laois will rise again and hopefully we'll both be around to see it. I understand where you are coming from in terms of players being 'softer' i feel a bit the same about Laois. Unfortunately the age we're in now isn't conducive to producing players like in the past in my opinion. Probably poverty and tougher times put more fire in the belly.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 16/07/2017 01:11:53    2017284

Link