National Forum

Carlow vs Monaghan

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

First off well done Monaghan done what they had to do.

But what a day for Carlow gaa. Massive effort again from there players and they seem to have a great manager in Turlough. For 60 minutes against a top D1 side they were very competitive. Great to see Carlow fans on the pitch at the end complementing the Carlow players effort. Despite the loss it was a great championship for Carlow footballers and hopefully the people in Carlow will get a lift from it. Hopefully there will be loads of kids out training for gaa in Carlow in the coming weeks

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 15/07/2017 20:58:59    2017141

Link

Replying To ponga:  "God knows what non-Irish people watching this are making of such comments. Wow a goal for Carlow."
I think admin meddled with my innuendo

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8584 - 15/07/2017 21:01:52    2017145

Link

Carlow are out, but thank you for a great summer. This team can only improve and build on what they have done this year, a hard team to beat as Dublin and Monaghan have found out. Just tired around the 60 min mark today. That's the beauty of championship , forget about a second tier competition, this teams want and deserve to be playing the big boys!

ke40 (Kildare) - Posts: 209 - 15/07/2017 21:27:42    2017161

Link

Replying To Spoddgy:  "Second time I've seen them on TV at all!"
Ha ha very true, I don't ever remember seeing Carlow on live tv before this year. They are an inspiration to oher so-called weaker teams as they have played 2 Division one teams this year and acquited themselves magnificantly. Just shows how you can bridge the gap with a well set up teams who give it everything.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1873 - 15/07/2017 21:51:08    2017176

Link

Fair play to Carlow but can someone tell them to stop running into traffic? Time and time again they ran into the tackle and lost the ball. They have good players but they don't do themselves any favours

Rosfan (Roscommon) - Posts: 778 - 15/07/2017 21:57:33    2017182

Link

Well played Carlow, Monaghan just done enough to get by. You must remember that in terms of size and population there is little difference between the two teams, I know Monaghan are division one this past while but its not like one big county v a minnow. Carlow really put it up and fair play to them, we need to improve big time or were heading out next time out.

muckla (UK) - Posts: 365 - 15/07/2017 22:19:47    2017193

Link

What was the issue with ball pressure bit like a certain AFL team who reduced the ball pressure a couple of years ago.Dark arts at play.

neutral (None) - Posts: 358 - 15/07/2017 22:21:51    2017195

Link

Replying To ponga:  "If we're trying to sell the game why open it up to ridicule. Let's be a bit more professional."
Agreed. No need for self-generated paddy-whackery.

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 15/07/2017 22:30:18    2017199

Link

Replying To neutral:  "What was the issue with ball pressure bit like a certain AFL team who reduced the ball pressure a couple of years ago.Dark arts at play."
Was wondering that, plus what was with the officials insisting the ball couldn't be changed? Has that always been a rule?

Iamlegion666 (Monaghan) - Posts: 285 - 15/07/2017 22:30:29    2017200

Link

Fair play to Carlow they did themselves proud but if we don't improve dramatically will be bowing out in 2 weeks. Team is killing itself in games with amount of wides kicked and you can see it is draining confidence. Also our star men apart from Kieran Hughes have lost form and are struggling big time.

seanie08 (Monaghan) - Posts: 1798 - 15/07/2017 22:33:55    2017203

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Ha ha very true, I don't ever remember seeing Carlow on live tv before this year. They are an inspiration to oher so-called weaker teams as they have played 2 Division one teams this year and acquited themselves magnificantly. Just shows how you can bridge the gap with a well set up teams who give it everything."
Agree with you on all your posts especially how Carlow are still in div 4
First off watched this from behind the sofa.
Carlow are a well coached team giving their all for the county jersey and passionate fans, and as you say other counties should take note. They are one of the most physical imposing teams in the country and use it well. The difference and experience between the teams could be seen after each goal. When Carlow got theirs and went 2 up it seemed to spark Monaghan into life and they pushed upped in attack and went for it. However when Monaghan got their goal, Carlow did not seem to have a plan B to come back, but that will come with time, as they have a great foundation to work on.

Phew

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 1044 - 15/07/2017 22:39:28    2017207

Link

Replying To muckla:  "Well played Carlow, Monaghan just done enough to get by. You must remember that in terms of size and population there is little difference between the two teams, I know Monaghan are division one this past while but its not like one big county v a minnow. Carlow really put it up and fair play to them, we need to improve big time or were heading out next time out."
Fair play Muckla but we try the hurlin as well. The reason Sean Murphy hasn't played senior interco.football til this year is because he was with the hurlers. So our resources are far more thinly spread. Anyway best of luck against Kil/dub.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 15/07/2017 22:52:14    2017212

Link

Monaghan way off the pace there this evening but the positive being when we needed to dig deep the team did so and maybe it might count to them against better opposition. One thing that really was disappointing was the carlow supporters. Everyone monaghan had a free in second half the kicker was booed by entire carlow support. Not a nice element to bring into the game. Anyway well played carlow all the same.

Farney1977 (Monaghan) - Posts: 59 - 15/07/2017 23:06:09    2017223

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "Agree with you on all your posts especially how Carlow are still in div 4
First off watched this from behind the sofa.
Carlow are a well coached team giving their all for the county jersey and passionate fans, and as you say other counties should take note. They are one of the most physical imposing teams in the country and use it well. The difference and experience between the teams could be seen after each goal. When Carlow got theirs and went 2 up it seemed to spark Monaghan into life and they pushed upped in attack and went for it. However when Monaghan got their goal, Carlow did not seem to have a plan B to come back, but that will come with time, as they have a great foundation to work on.

Phew"
Do you think this game might kick start Monaghan? A bit like Donegal they seem to have gone off the boil. I think young McCarthy should start up front as he looks a class act. Conor McManus and Owen Duffy were quiet tonight but will come good again. They have the ability to push on.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1873 - 15/07/2017 23:17:22    2017229

Link

Replying To ponga:  "If we're trying to sell the game why open it up to ridicule. Let's be a bit more professional."
Oh Christ. Colonial chip on the shoulder. I'm a farmer and proud of who i am and what i do. If you start worrying about what individuals think of your job you may aswell pack up.

Like it or not about 80% of Irish people are only a couple of generations from farming communities.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 15/07/2017 23:59:58    2017248

Link

Replying To muckla:  "Well played Carlow, Monaghan just done enough to get by. You must remember that in terms of size and population there is little difference between the two teams, I know Monaghan are division one this past while but its not like one big county v a minnow. Carlow really put it up and fair play to them, we need to improve big time or were heading out next time out."
Yes i always admire Monaghan for punching above their weight population wise. But painting this match as almost a contest of equals is wrong. Monaghan have been operating out of Div 1 for years and Div 2 before that. I can't remember the last time Carlow got out of Div 4. Also Monaghan have 2 Ulster Championships in the last few years and an experienced side. They drew with Dublin in the league.

Hats off to Carlow for almost bridging the gulf.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 16/07/2017 00:06:12    2017254

Link

Can we be real here, they did not beat a team a division above them. Yes
They kept Dublin to 8-5 at half time but when they had the chance to win tonight and they did they just ran into tackles and lost the ball. Tonight was the night to make a real statement for Carlow football not beating London and Leitrim.

Rosfan (Roscommon) - Posts: 778 - 16/07/2017 00:25:52    2017267

Link

Replying To Green_Gold:  "Do you think this game might kick start Monaghan? A bit like Donegal they seem to have gone off the boil. I think young McCarthy should start up front as he looks a class act. Conor McManus and Owen Duffy were quiet tonight but will come good again. They have the ability to push on."
The shackles are off now fella. Carlow rattled Dublin in every way. We are the type of team that Dublin would rather not meet before Tyrone. Don't mind some of the gob shites from our own forum waiting for us to fail to justify their own negativity.
The problem we have is that MOR is torn between the old reliables and the new blood a bit like M Harte last year ( and the Tyrone posters went after him for it)
When we were dead and buried against Tyrone in the league with 13 men he threw them on and nearly got something out of it. That is still there in this squad
We played nothing yet. Donegal's semi in 92 was one of the worst of all time yet.....
Myself and pride85 have faith

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 1044 - 16/07/2017 00:37:22    2017275

Link

Replying To Rosfan:  "Can we be real here, they did not beat a team a division above them. Yes
They kept Dublin to 8-5 at half time but when they had the chance to win tonight and they did they just ran into tackles and lost the ball. Tonight was the night to make a real statement for Carlow football not beating London and Leitrim."
These things take a few years. Your own county is an excellent example.

For a division 4 side to be level with a division 1 side with 5 min of normal time to go is an achievement. No ifs or buts.

Last year Roscommon went into their shell in the drawn game and wouldn't go for a win in the final minutes. Look at them this year, driving on relentlessly pushing out the score. Give Carlow the chance to improve. They don't have the underage success Roscommon had either.

Very best wishes to Roscommon. Thoroughly enjoyed your win last Sunday. Ye have brilliant support always too.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 16/07/2017 00:55:26    2017280

Link

Replying To Rosfan:  "Fair play to Carlow but can someone tell them to stop running into traffic? Time and time again they ran into the tackle and lost the ball. They have good players but they don't do themselves any favours"
It would take the rumour spreader to have a negitive comment on a great day for Carlow football. Yeah they lost but the progress they have shown has to be admired

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 16/07/2017 01:00:50    2017282

Link