National Forum

Dublin v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To GGdub:  "Kildare have a big day ahead of them tomorrow, the ultimate test,what they've been training hard for all year.the game they've targeted 'the game they wanted.never mind what they did against a poor meath team in tullamore thats forgotten now .whats facing them tomorrow is the greatest dublin team to have ever played the game.a team that will not stop going flat out even if their 20 points ahead,makes no difference.the most ruthless team in the land.i hope its a good close game and not a whipping as i like kildare and their fans who are among the best in the country.i hope kildare stick with whats working for them their traditional style and not revert to the blanket keep the score down crap which they cant play play anyway..best of luck kildare'"
The Dublin team named is certainly not the greatest Dublin team to have played the game. Kildare have a better 15

NorthKildare (Kildare) - Posts: 197 - 15/07/2017 14:14:15    2016906

Link

Replying To NorthKildare:  "The Dublin team named is certainly not the greatest Dublin team to have played the game. Kildare have a better 15"
Definitely agree with everything you say, it's Kildare's to lose now.

Dubsfan28 (Dublin) - Posts: 2509 - 15/07/2017 14:29:02    2016914

Link

The named team, if its the real team, wont hammer anyone, least of all a very decent Kildare side
Weakest Dublin 15 in a long time
If ye have anything about ye atall Kildare ye should be able to put it up to us

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 15/07/2017 14:43:23    2016920

Link

Replying To Uncle_Fester:  "Lads I'm not trying to stir anything up just an opinion that maybe Dublin have set their own bar too high in term of their team, but I have to say that isn't the strongest Dublin I've seen.

Personally I think their half forward line (actually their whole forward unit, but especially the half forward line) looks quite weak. Against ourselves I thought Kildares midfield and half back line were magnificent, aside from Fenton, could Dublin struggle in these areas?

I haven't been following Dublin this year as much as I would but why is cooper dropped?"
Cooper is only coming back from injury, as are Small, McMahon, Flynn and McAuley. Given that then it's probably as good a team as Gavin would want to risk (fitness wise), but I'd imagine our subs bench will have some serious clout to it if needed.

AHP (Dublin) - Posts: 323 - 15/07/2017 14:44:11    2016921

Link

Two ways of looking at the team selected. Either it is a dummy team or players are being rewarded for current form which is normally Jim's way of picking the team. Daly and lowdnes better than two all star full backs. O Gara moving better than kevin mc and Bernard. The bench could have some players on it tomorrow. In addition to Cooper, McMahon,bernard and kevin mc there could be Michael Dara, paul Flynn, Davy Byrne, John small. Jesus some squad but I am a little worried for some reason

Adamski (Dublin) - Posts: 339 - 15/07/2017 15:03:29    2016930

Link

Ah Lads, come on. Taking the p*ss now. Dublin still strong, strong favourites. (Add as many strongs as you wish!)

KildareKelly (Kildare) - Posts: 593 - 15/07/2017 15:27:22    2016937

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "Maybe if Dublin play on one leg with blindfolds it will even out this game?"
Yawn

superbluedub (Dublin) - Posts: 2837 - 15/07/2017 17:02:05    2017004

Link

Replying To superbluedub:  "Yawn"
Okay, just blindfolds then.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9697 - 15/07/2017 17:34:51    2017024

Link

Replying To NorthKildare:  "The Dublin team named is certainly not the greatest Dublin team to have played the game. Kildare have a better 15"
Nonsense post. Kildare don't have a better 15. Dublin comeing off the back of 35 game unbeaten run League and Championship. Narrowly beaten by Kerry , who I fancy to win AI this year.
Kildare on the other hand put up a decent game against the worst Meath team I remember, after atrocious League final in April and the White Ballon suddenly goes up. Give us a break.

A

Aido69 (Dublin) - Posts: 381 - 15/07/2017 17:40:18    2017026

Link

Replying To Dubsfan28:  "You're obviously new here if you think Wayno1 needs to get to more games, and actually the last two Leinster finals were €20 for the hill and not €25 like for this year, stand tickets were also €35 up to and including the day of the game the last couple of years too I'm pretty sure and not €40 on the day like for this Sunday. If he said anything factually incorrect then I'm sure he's open to correction. Stay classy ,dude."
Sorry Mrs. Wayno1, I promise I won't pick on him anymore.

SallinsMan (Kildare) - Posts: 77 - 15/07/2017 19:09:24    2017083

Link

True .team named is not what i was referring to. But kildare having a better 15 we will see tomorrow.its not a 15 man game with dublin pal..the players on the bench are just as lethal as those in the starting line up..plus do think thats the exact team that will start..theres always a few surprises with jim gavins line up.

GGdub (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 15/07/2017 19:15:14    2017089

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "The named team, if its the real team, wont hammer anyone, least of all a very decent Kildare side
Weakest Dublin 15 in a long time
If ye have anything about ye atall Kildare ye should be able to put it up to us"
I'll be blown away if there is not at least one change to that team come throw in. I'd expect two.

Marse (Dublin) - Posts: 217 - 15/07/2017 21:13:14    2017152

Link

I think the Dubs will win this by as much as they want, the Ulster final should be a better contest I think.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2739 - 15/07/2017 21:21:32    2017157

Link

Replying To Ulsterman:  "Maybe if Dublin play on one leg with blindfolds it will even out this game?"
Be sure to tune into the only provincial final with 2 teams from Division 1, I expect that type quality will shine through in the game.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 15/07/2017 21:24:09    2017159

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "I think the Dubs will win this by as much as they want, the Ulster final should be a better contest I think."
Any basis for that statement? Ye had a good look at Meath last week who we beat handy enough twice this year. Not impressed? You obviously don't rate your own chances?

SallinsMan (Kildare) - Posts: 77 - 15/07/2017 22:02:24    2017185

Link

I have been at every leinster final since 1983. I have seen some great finals. People talk about the Munster Hurling Final as a special occasion. And it is. The Ulster Final is also billed as special occasion and it is. So many great teams have come from winning The Ulster final in 25 years.
But the Leinster final has given some of the greatest GAA moments of the last 30 years. The Delaney Cup is a great trophy to win in the past

I remeber my own counties 2 heroic wins v Dublin in 1986 and 1996. My personal favourite was beating the Dubs in 1988 for the three in a row. The first time in 100 years the Dubs were beaten in three in a row leinster finals. We would have done the 4 in a row in 89. Only Lyons was injured. Joe McNally wouldn't have scored the winner in 89 if he was in the Lyons Den. That was the special leinster final in 89 for the Dubs, stopping Meath.
2002 was also great win for Dublin . The leinster final meant something back then with Tommy Lyons Dubs. 1974 meant something also to the Dubs. As well as 92 and hammering the old Enemy in 1995. We don't mention that one in Meath.
I remeber Offaly am bushing an injury depleted Meath with exhilarating total football in 97. Roy Malone running through the heart of the Meath defence like a greyhound on fire.
I remeber 98. More heartbreak for An Mhi. But the sea of white in the centre field afterwards was some sight. And when a Kildare man beside me broke into tears at the final moment, you couldn't but me moved.
I remeber in 1999 Trevor Giles passing a zico type pass to Ollie Murphy , the best I ever saw in Croke Park and Ollie raising hid fist to the hill after scoring in defiance.

I remeber one of the greatest leinster final ever in 2000. When kildare made the greatest comeback in leinster final since Meaths comeback v Offaly in 1970.
I remeber Laois winning in 03. Their forward displayin the final is one of the best forwards displays I ever saw with Beano McDonald and co.
I remeber the best final of them all . When Paudi led Westmeath to their first ever final. The scenes at the end were extraordinary. A Westmeath man beside me got on his knees screaming with joy. And Paudi pushing the Westmeath fans a away when they came in the field at the end . A sight to behold.

Since that final it has been decay for the provience . Dublins domination is total. The leinster final is an afterthought. That's not Dublins fault. It other counties time to rise up and facedown Dublin . Since the fiasco of leinster final in 2000 the final has never been the same. It's like that final was a sign of leinsters demise for this decade
Whatever happens tomorrow history will be made. If Dublin win they win first 7 in a row leinster. Extraordinary achievement. Fair play to them. If Kildare win it would be the greatest leinster final win ever. Hopefully they do perform at least as the the future of leinster football is hanging by a thread.
. But maybe the real hope is in the minor. A louth win would signify the future for the provience might be a more open competitive championship.
And bring it back to it heydays the glory days when the leinster final coukd capture the whole nations attention. When the Delaney Cup meant everything for that county that won . Things can change very quickly, in life , in sport. There are young Kildare Meath Westmeath and Louth teams on the horizon . The future of the auld championship is in all their hands.
Looking forward tomorrow to my 34 leinster final in a row. I hope to see another 34 please God . And I hope to see my own county lift the Delaney Cup againon the future. And see my county and other victorious counties lift the Delaney Cup and bring it home afterwards to delighted crowds in Navan Newbridge Mullingar Portlaoise Tullamore Wexford Town Longford Town Carlow Town Wicklow Town and Dundalk. Up the Delaney Cup.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 15/07/2017 23:05:11    2017221

Link

Kildare are a well drilled team who have the ability to cause Dublin a lot of problems, but they can't let the Dubs get off to a blistering start or it will be over early. I don't think that will happen though, I think Kildare have made huge progress since last year and they will put up a fight today.

Dublin still to win by 5-6pts in the end but I think Kildare have a bright future in them if they play their cards right.

Htaem (Meath) - Posts: 8657 - 16/07/2017 09:39:12    2017324

Link

Hopi g for a close game, but I feel Meath made Kildare look better than they are, unfortunately another Dublin win. Pulling up. I hope I'm wrong for the sake of Leinster football

royaldunne (Meath) - Posts: 19449 - 16/07/2017 09:47:22    2017328

Link

Kildare could make a real contest of this if they can start well but it could go the other way if Dublin get on top early on. Doubt Kildare will lack fitness and should be well able to compete on that level.
Looks like a big crowd heading to Croke Park and should be a good day.Good luck to all and let's hope it's a contest at least.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 16/07/2017 10:25:31    2017345

Link

Best of luck to Kildare today I feel there in with a shout, Dublin are far from unbeatable eoghan o gara starting full forward proves there not a good as they used to be

Royal.Legend (Meath) - Posts: 665 - 16/07/2017 11:19:22    2017368

Link