National Forum

Dublin v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I hope no players from any intercounty team log on here at any stage. So blast sways lads.

Marse (Dublin) - Posts: 217 - 10/07/2017 19:04:47    2014393

Link

Holy Christ lads, what's this? A Dublin appreciation orgy? Between dubs falling over themselves to tell us about their immortal hero's with "All Ireland's coming out their ears" and Kildare fans wiping away the mess and begging for more.
What's worse is the neutrals (Kerry and Meath mainly) contributing are being positive about Kildare yet they are getting more abuse from Kildare fans themselves. Its like coming between a victim and their abuser and they both attacking you for trying to interfere.
Cop on to yourselves Kildare fans. Grow a pair and have a bit of faith. Our lads have fought bloody hard all year to get here. They are fully deserving of our support and respect.
I can promise you WaynoI, the sight of Philly McMahon, Brogan, Kilkenny nor any of the Dublin team will strike fear. Our boys are top, top athletes too and wether you like it or not, will be full of confidence in their own ability. Such bullsh1t. I hope you enjoy the game WaynoI through your steamed up visor.
Yes, we'll respect the opposition and Yes, we will try to curb your better players but if the dubs think we're heading up just to make up the numbers or bow down to anyone you have another thing coming to you.
I'm expecting nothing less than 100% from our boys, and where that gets us I'll settle for but to be defeated before you even get out on the pitch is not supporting, it's simply pathetic.

SallinsMan (Kildare) - Posts: 77 - 10/07/2017 19:27:48    2014414

Link

The problem for Kildare is a problem for all leinster counties for the last 100 years. If you want to be the best in leinster you have to take down the Dubs. This is never easy . They are always in the top 3 to 4 teams in the country. They are the most difficult opponent to beat in Gaelic football. It's no coincidence that teams that have beaten Dublin have been the greatest teams to come from counties that defeated Dublin . Playing v Dublin in full croker is the closest thing to an All Ireland final.

Kildare have a poor record v Dublin. Kildare are more obsessed about Meath. While Meath have been more obessesed about Dublin for decades. That's the difference. For decades Kildare play brilliantly v Meath. They reserve there best performances v Meath. And worst v Dublin. Their best performances in the 90s were 97 98 games v Meath. A double All Ireland winning Meath team. Their last big win in Croker was v Meath in 2010 q final in Croker. A Meath team that had reached two semi final and beaten the great Tyrone team Galway Mayo and hammered Dublin in thr championship. Their last win in Croker was v Meath under Banty. Their best performances in this years league and championship was v Meath . Two weeks before they played Meath in the league they played Dublin third team. And the intensity Kildare showed v Meath was unreal. When they played Dublins third team. Their was no intensity by Kildare whatsoever.

That is Kildare problem. When they play Meath because they hate Meath so much because of jealousy and begrugery their hatred delivers brillant performances. But when they play Dublin they are much meeker submissive the white jersey's are like white flags surrendering to Dublin for generations. And that's the problem if you want to be sucessful in leinster beating Meath is nothing special. Beating Dublin is. I have only saw one game and half game in my lifetime of 30 years were Kildare really put it up to Dublin and that was in 98 and 2000. That was Kildare only win in leinster final v Dublin in 100 years.

Dublin have kildare in a mental straight jacket. Their is a mental barrier for Kildare. They used to say Kildare were afraid of Dublin especially when kildare went AWOL and disappeared of GAAa top table to Division 3 and 4 between 1930-1990. Maybe it is true. Maybe Kildare are afraid of Dublin. One thing is for certain they have no belief when it comes to playing Dublin. That's a serious barrier to sucess.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 10/07/2017 20:38:31    2014464

Link

Replying To Furlong1949:  "The problem for Kildare is a problem for all leinster counties for the last 100 years. If you want to be the best in leinster you have to take down the Dubs. This is never easy . They are always in the top 3 to 4 teams in the country. They are the most difficult opponent to beat in Gaelic football. It's no coincidence that teams that have beaten Dublin have been the greatest teams to come from counties that defeated Dublin . Playing v Dublin in full croker is the closest thing to an All Ireland final.

Kildare have a poor record v Dublin. Kildare are more obsessed about Meath. While Meath have been more obessesed about Dublin for decades. That's the difference. For decades Kildare play brilliantly v Meath. They reserve there best performances v Meath. And worst v Dublin. Their best performances in the 90s were 97 98 games v Meath. A double All Ireland winning Meath team. Their last big win in Croker was v Meath in 2010 q final in Croker. A Meath team that had reached two semi final and beaten the great Tyrone team Galway Mayo and hammered Dublin in thr championship. Their last win in Croker was v Meath under Banty. Their best performances in this years league and championship was v Meath . Two weeks before they played Meath in the league they played Dublin third team. And the intensity Kildare showed v Meath was unreal. When they played Dublins third team. Their was no intensity by Kildare whatsoever.

That is Kildare problem. When they play Meath because they hate Meath so much because of jealousy and begrugery their hatred delivers brillant performances. But when they play Dublin they are much meeker submissive the white jersey's are like white flags surrendering to Dublin for generations. And that's the problem if you want to be sucessful in leinster beating Meath is nothing special. Beating Dublin is. I have only saw one game and half game in my lifetime of 30 years were Kildare really put it up to Dublin and that was in 98 and 2000. That was Kildare only win in leinster final v Dublin in 100 years.

Dublin have kildare in a mental straight jacket. Their is a mental barrier for Kildare. They used to say Kildare were afraid of Dublin especially when kildare went AWOL and disappeared of GAAa top table to Division 3 and 4 between 1930-1990. Maybe it is true. Maybe Kildare are afraid of Dublin. One thing is for certain they have no belief when it comes to playing Dublin. That's a serious barrier to sucess."
So you think Kildare have a chance then.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 10/07/2017 20:52:04    2014474

Link

Replying To Furlong1949:  "The problem for Kildare is a problem for all leinster counties for the last 100 years. If you want to be the best in leinster you have to take down the Dubs. This is never easy . They are always in the top 3 to 4 teams in the country. They are the most difficult opponent to beat in Gaelic football. It's no coincidence that teams that have beaten Dublin have been the greatest teams to come from counties that defeated Dublin . Playing v Dublin in full croker is the closest thing to an All Ireland final.

Dublin have kildare in a mental straight jacket. Their is a mental barrier for Kildare. They used to say Kildare were afraid of Dublin especially when kildare went AWOL and disappeared of GAAa top table to Division 3 and 4 between 1930-1990. Maybe it is true. Maybe Kildare are afraid of Dublin. One thing is for certain they have no belief when it comes to playing Dublin. That's a serious barrier to sucess."
Happy thats off your chest?
Good lad..
Anyway, a 70/75 min performance where everything is left out on the pitch by our lads and ill go home happy enough..

cuttothebone (Kildare) - Posts: 163 - 10/07/2017 21:36:45    2014515

Link

Oh sweet Jesus. Get over yourself lad, such infatuation is not good for the soul

commander (Kildare) - Posts: 225 - 10/07/2017 21:39:13    2014519

Link

Replying To SallinsMan:  "Holy Christ lads, what's this? A Dublin appreciation orgy? Between dubs falling over themselves to tell us about their immortal hero's with "All Ireland's coming out their ears" and Kildare fans wiping away the mess and begging for more.
What's worse is the neutrals (Kerry and Meath mainly) contributing are being positive about Kildare yet they are getting more abuse from Kildare fans themselves. Its like coming between a victim and their abuser and they both attacking you for trying to interfere.
Cop on to yourselves Kildare fans. Grow a pair and have a bit of faith. Our lads have fought bloody hard all year to get here. They are fully deserving of our support and respect.
I can promise you WaynoI, the sight of Philly McMahon, Brogan, Kilkenny nor any of the Dublin team will strike fear. Our boys are top, top athletes too and wether you like it or not, will be full of confidence in their own ability. Such bullsh1t. I hope you enjoy the game WaynoI through your steamed up visor.
Yes, we'll respect the opposition and Yes, we will try to curb your better players but if the dubs think we're heading up just to make up the numbers or bow down to anyone you have another thing coming to you.
I'm expecting nothing less than 100% from our boys, and where that gets us I'll settle for but to be defeated before you even get out on the pitch is not supporting, it's simply pathetic."
The folk who write their teams off on here are the type that even faced with 'almighty' opposition still have that tiny little piece of hope in their heart that their team can just have one of those golden days and turn the big team over.
They're just afraid admit it publicly because they think they might look stupid.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 10/07/2017 21:42:35    2014523

Link

ok, Meath may not have been the biggest test, but Meath are still a decent competitive-minded outfit and I thought Kildare this year looked pacier and stronger than ever. It won't be enough to beat Dublin, but at the very least Kildare should expect to make a game of it for 50 minutes. Both teams doing their utmost, that should be realistic. And if Dublin make a couple of mistakes, and Kildare don't - you never know ...

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 10/07/2017 21:43:25    2014527

Link

Replying To essmac:  "ok, Meath may not have been the biggest test, but Meath are still a decent competitive-minded outfit and I thought Kildare this year looked pacier and stronger than ever. It won't be enough to beat Dublin, but at the very least Kildare should expect to make a game of it for 50 minutes. Both teams doing their utmost, that should be realistic. And if Dublin make a couple of mistakes, and Kildare don't - you never know ..."
Hard to disagree, not beyond the bounds of possibility!

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8585 - 10/07/2017 21:57:22    2014538

Link

What I said was factually correct. Know one addressed that. Dublin cast a long shadow in leinster football. They are the Manchester United Real Madrid of gaelic football. Teams that have beaten Dublin have had to deliver performance of a lifetime eg Kildare 98 Derry 93 Donegal 92 and 12. Westmeath and Laois in the early noughties. Dublin have an aura in leinster and throughout the country when teams play them in Croker. To say otherwise would be false.
Certain teams have a mental barrier as well as an ability barrier to cross to beat an opponent. Look how long it took Waterford to beat Kilkenny or how hard it took the Lions took just to draw with New Zealand. Kildare have one when it comes to Dublin. One line jokes responses to my messages are are just deflecting the truth of what I say. Facts are facts.

Outside Meath no team has beaten Dublin in leinster with a leinster manager in 35 years eg Eugene McGee with Offaly in 82
Outside Meath no team in leinster has beaten Dublin with a manager from their own county since 1981 when Laois defeated with a Laois man.
Kildare have only beaten Dublin in 1 leinster final in over 90 years.
The facts tell the truth. Dublin are the most difficult opponent to beat in Gaelic football. And any team that has done that by and large had a very special group of players. Kildare dont take the fight to Dublin traditionally or in recent times. Remeber their last 3 defeats where hammeringshe ( 11 points, 15 points and 22 points defeat margins ) and 2 of them where record defeats in Kildare history. Atop of Kildare appalling record in Croker. Loss to Galway this year and to Clare and Westmeath last year in Croker. I think they lost well over 20 of their last 30 matchs in Croke Park.
All the above are facts.I wonder will anybody address these facts are just deflect attention with one line quips.
Even this board is a reflection of Kildare mentality. If there is a negative comment to be made about Meath the kildare fans are always in first with a putdown. It happens over and over again. When it comes to Dublin and negative comments they are nowhere to be seen. It's similar to Kildares teams . They just don't have the belief in a way are afraid of Dublin.
I would love to see Kildare win on Sunday for the sake of leinster football. ( I doubt any Kildare supporter would say the same about Meath their hatred and jealousy towards would Meath mean they want Dublin to win). But I have watched Kildare v Dublin for 30 years the fact is with the exception of 98 and for half of a game in 2000. Kildare dont take the fight to Dublin. You have to take the fight to them. In front of hill 16 the Dubs are always incredibly hard to beat and this is their greatest team. For the sake of leinster I hope the lilies win. But Dublin do have kildare in a mental straight jacket. Even their supporters have very little faith when they play Dublin.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 10/07/2017 22:52:59    2014587

Link

Replying To SallinsMan:  "Holy Christ lads, what's this? A Dublin appreciation orgy? Between dubs falling over themselves to tell us about their immortal hero's with "All Ireland's coming out their ears" and Kildare fans wiping away the mess and begging for more.
I'm expecting nothing less than 100% from our boys, and where that gets us I'll settle for but to be defeated before you even get out on the pitch is not supporting, it's simply pathetic."
Well said young man, if more people thought like lily they'd be no point turning up at all.

I stand by what I said , I think if Kildare match the dubs athleticism they can beat them.

Cian O'Neil is no slouch either and it won't be his fault of Kildare lose.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 10/07/2017 23:02:46    2014596

Link

My my, we do have an inflated opinion of ourselves don't we? Do you think Kildare spent much time thinking about Meath? We, like every other county, thought about Dublin. They are the bar that everyone, Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo included aims for. You can call it fear if you want, I prefer to call it ambition. As it turns out over the last few years, if you beat Dublin you inevitably win something, which is what it's all about. I for one think we have much stronger team this year, a team who are building something that could mix it with the best when they reach their potential. I'm not going up afraid on Sunday, I doubt the team are either. Why should they be? They are here on merit and quite a few of the players have enjoyed success against Dublin teams in their careers to date. Respect Dublin yes, fear.........no point in turning up if that's the case.

kildare73 (Kildare) - Posts: 854 - 10/07/2017 23:54:48    2014630

Link

Replying To kildare73:  "My my, we do have an inflated opinion of ourselves don't we? Do you think Kildare spent much time thinking about Meath? We, like every other county, thought about Dublin. They are the bar that everyone, Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo included aims for. You can call it fear if you want, I prefer to call it ambition. As it turns out over the last few years, if you beat Dublin you inevitably win something, which is what it's all about. I for one think we have much stronger team this year, a team who are building something that could mix it with the best when they reach their potential. I'm not going up afraid on Sunday, I doubt the team are either. Why should they be? They are here on merit and quite a few of the players have enjoyed success against Dublin teams in their careers to date. Respect Dublin yes, fear.........no point in turning up if that's the case."
That's the point I'm making Kildare are obsessed with Meath. Meath teams and players have been obsessed with Dublin for decades. Because to be sucessful you have to beat the best.

Kildare have a brillant team record v Meath. I would go further and say you are only Bogey team. We have a great championship record v most counties. But after Dublin Kildare have the best record with 8 wins in 50 years. The next would be laoise with 3. My point is the only sucessful county Kildare beat ( and yes An Mhi would be considered a sucessful county) is Meath. My point is these Meath performces come from a hatred of Meath while Kildare play like men possessed v Meath. They are much more timid v Dublin .

If you take out all the victories v Meath in the last 15 years. What have kildare done. They have built a reputation on beating Meath. That's the point I'm making Kildare do not bring the same intensity drive aggression when they face Dublin or any top teams. The facts are below
Kildare have only beaten Dublin in 1 leinster final in over 90 years.
Kildare have not beaten Dublin in 15 years.
Kildare have only two wins over Dublin in nearly 50 years.
Kildare have only beaten 1 top six outside Leinster in any given year in the last 90 years. That was Kerry in 98 semi final. If you take every year for the last 90 only 1 year did Kildare beat a top 6 in that year. Well how do I know that. Well between 1930 and 97 they won 1 leinster v Wexford and lost the semi final. They defeated Kerry in 98. But since that win and 2000 leinster final they have not beaten one top team 6 team in the championship one of the best teams in the country especially outside the province.
So Kildare have a dreadful record v Dublin and top teams. But yet they have this high profile. It's not a profile based on victories and sucess.
I hope they win on Sunday but they have a massive mental barrier to jump. Any Kildare supporter I ever talked about Dublin have always had no real believe they can beat Dublin. They are almost neutral towards Dublin. To say otherwise would be lying.
The point I making about Kildare they have a mental barrier to cross v Dublin and this is largely been ignored by the above comments being made by people above. It's a fact that their performances and record v Dublin is appalling for decades. That's a fact. That people are ignoring. It's the truth though.
To say I'm obessesed with Kildare well I can ensure there is no other county with the exception of Cavan who are obsessed and take more pleasure with Meath defeats then the above. But when it comes Dublin the kingpins of leinster. The team you really have to beat to be sucessful . The kildare jersey's are like white flags surrendering on mass in front of hill 16.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 11/07/2017 00:36:24    2014646

Link

The day Kildare realise that it Dublin you have to hate not Meath it's Dublin you have to take the fight to its Dublin you have to really deliver big performances against that is the day Kildare will be sucessful. Kildares have always focussed on taking down Meath. And in Mesth we underestimate them underestimate their hatred for us. But it Dublin Kildare need to focus on . Meath have took to fight to Dublin in 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s and the noughties . Kildare it's your time .to stand up and take Dublin now. You have a talentEd group of players. For the sake of leinster football it's your time to stand up to Dublin. It's hard very difficult. But to be sucessful you have to beat Dublin. I hope you do it. But from Kildare supporter I have talked to and my past experiences of Kildare v Dublin. Kildare just don't believe. The results and stats back that up. I hope Sunday will see Kildare victory. But thr chances of another hammering are high.

Furlong1949 (Meath) - Posts: 1067 - 11/07/2017 00:45:39    2014650

Link

So the Furlong 1949 thesis is that Kildare raise their game against Meath because we "hate Meath so much because of jealousy and begrudgery" but we lose our nerve and go into our shells against Dublin?

Speaking as someone who lives on the Kildare/Meath border that is nonsense. There is a keen rivalry with Meath around Johnstownbridge, Kilcock and parts of Carbury and Maynooth but it doesn't permeate throughout the county. In my lifetime Laois were always the biggest rivals in league and championship. There has always been rivalry with our other neighbours like Meath. Offaly, Wicklow, Dublin and Carlow but none of those clashes ever consistently stirred the same bile and bitterness that a Kildare/Laois clash could.

This idea that Kildare don't show any fight against Dublin is clearly nonsense too. You are correct in saying that results wise our record against Meath is better than our record against Dublin. However there is a simple explanation for that: Dublin have had better teams than Meath for most of their history. Kildare victories against Dublin are sadly thin on the ground but there have been many occasions over the last thirty years where Kildare have put it up to them. 2011 when Dublin needed a very debatable free in the last minute to beat Kildare. There was only a kick of a ball between the teams in the 2009 and 2002 Leinster Finals. Kildare were unlucky in the drawn match in 1994 and in the 1991 League Final when Vinnie Murphy kicked a fluke of a goal.

Kildare didn't lose any of those games mentioned above because they fear Dublin. They lost because for most of that period Dublin had better players. Kildare had some good players in the late sixties and early seventies and beat Dublin in 66, 69 and 72. That team was unfortunate to be around at the same time as the great Offaly team of Willie Bryan, Tony McTague and Eugene Mulligan. Kildare's lack of success since the 1920s has more to do with not producing enough quality teams than it has to do with any perceived mental weakness or inferiority complex.

beir_bua (Kildare) - Posts: 746 - 11/07/2017 01:55:54    2014657

Link

Really looking forward to Sunday, this is what it's all about and what Kildare would have set down to achieve at the start of the year a Leinster final! I'm expecting a big big performance from the lads and can't wait to see Daniel Flynn in croke park, he in my opinion is a special talent and will cause trouble for Dublin. We need to take ever opportunity to score, everything to go right and a full 75 minute performance if that happens it will be closer than a lot of people think! Come the lillies!!

Banksy (Kildare) - Posts: 13 - 11/07/2017 06:51:30    2014673

Link

So it's looking likely to be a Kildare v monaghan round 4 qualifier. A repeat of a few years ago when monaghan won. That would be a tough assignment for the lillies coming off a defeat to dublin.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 11/07/2017 08:32:49    2014686

Link

Full panel for Kildare to pick from. Not too often we've been able to say that over the last few years. Id expect paul cribben to come into the side instead of Slattery. Really looking forward to this one

11jm11 (Kildare) - Posts: 365 - 11/07/2017 09:09:14    2014704

Link

You're right Banksy. I have thought a lot about this game and how we will possibly approach it. I just think we need to go in with a real hard b****rd edge. Dublin can take the physicality but at least it will show them we are not there to be bossed on their terms from the throw in. Land a few of them on their arses and make them think..... hold on ....we are in a game here! Secondly what gives me confidence is we now have a some really good footballers who can play and have a good fitness levels and can keep going. We need to keep the ball kicked into midfield where I feel we will more than match them. We need to put ferocious pressure on Cluxton's kicks. People are talking about Kildare having to put in a perfect performance to compete and even then they will fall short! That's a load of rubbish. Dubs are great team but they can be rattled. We just need to get right in their faces and take our chances. Obviously if we don't they will clobber us again. The worry I have for Kildare is, like the Meath poster has stated, we seem to have this inferiority complex when we play Dublin...we role out the red carpet and them they role us straight over us with it!!
That has to stop now. When we play Meath we don't play with the same fear, hence our better record vs Meath. Now is not the time to show Dublin a single ounce of respect. Go out and play the game on your own merit and see where it takes us.

Kildare30 (Kildare) - Posts: 603 - 11/07/2017 09:32:35    2014730

Link

Replying To Furlong1949:  "The day Kildare realise that it Dublin you have to hate not Meath it's Dublin you have to take the fight to its Dublin you have to really deliver big performances against that is the day Kildare will be sucessful. Kildares have always focussed on taking down Meath. And in Mesth we underestimate them underestimate their hatred for us. But it Dublin Kildare need to focus on . Meath have took to fight to Dublin in 1940s 1950s 1960s 1970s 1980s 1990s and the noughties . Kildare it's your time .to stand up and take Dublin now. You have a talentEd group of players. For the sake of leinster football it's your time to stand up to Dublin. It's hard very difficult. But to be sucessful you have to beat Dublin. I hope you do it. But from Kildare supporter I have talked to and my past experiences of Kildare v Dublin. Kildare just don't believe. The results and stats back that up. I hope Sunday will see Kildare victory. But thr chances of another hammering are high."
Firstly, the vast majority of counties in the country have a bad record against Dublin. They have a consistently good bunch of players year in year out and most counties don't have that. Every county has a cyclical period of success from time to time, ups and downs, as Meath and many more are experiencing at the moment. Secondly, I think your opinion on the Meath/Kildare rivalry is coloured by where you live. I'm in the south of the county and our biggest local rivalry is Laois, not Meath. And as I said in my previous post, Kildare like every other county began the year looking at Dublin. What was beating Meath ever going to get us? Nothing. Kerry, Tyrone, Mayo and for the purposes of winning Leinster, Kildare were all focused on Dublin.

kildare73 (Kildare) - Posts: 854 - 11/07/2017 09:36:22    2014732

Link