National Forum

Dublin v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To jonno:  "Meath Meath Meath.
It is a shame that they pollute so much conversation like the champion of yesterday's story hanging on glorious yesterday. Fact is they think they're already promoted next year and will beat down Roscommon tipp Cavan etc before a ball is thrown in.
Get off your high donkeys, you don't have the players ye have nothin"
Ah, there there. Do you feel better now ?

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 17/07/2017 14:18:57    2018164

Link

Replying To poguemahone:  "Good open attacking game. For the Lilies, Feely gave a great midfield display yesterday. Flynn hit a point that is as good as any you will see in a game all year. Not sure why folk are slating the praise Kildare are getting. Dublin were expected to win with a bit to spare and they did. If Kildare had set up defensively and lost by 9, folk could've have rightly complained but they had a go and their score tally would've have beaten any team outside the top 4. That is decent progress.

For the Dubs. Was delighted O Callaghan started again, totally deserved after his WM performance. Another top display yesterday. Person not shortlisted for MOTM but who I thought was immense is James McCarthy. A driving force behind most of what Dublin do well. Kilkenny in the same mould. James really deservers all-star consideration but may , yet again, lost out if he is to be considered as a midfielder. Still the Leinster campaign will tell us nothing about Dublin's AI chances. The QFs a whole new competition and definitely room for improvement."
That's an excellent post about Kildare. I think a lot of the posts about them in this thread are massively patronising.

Teams don't come to Croke park and play open attacking football against Dublin and not leave with a hammering, Kildare did it yesterday and were shoulder to shoulder with Dublin, for me they get massive credit for that, you get higher profile teams like Mayo, Tyrone and Kerry coming to Croke park and not play open attacking football. Kildare to me have arrived at the top table as one of the best teams in championship, I really think they will take out one of the big guns in this years championship.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 17/07/2017 14:23:47    2018167

Link

That is if they can get over the massive banana skin that is Armagh!

Brolly (Monaghan) - Posts: 4472 - 17/07/2017 14:52:56    2018195

Link

Replying To HurlingSnob:  "I don't understand your comment about Dublin won't get the space they do in Leinster. Dublin didn't do too bad in the last few years, winning 4 all irelands. We didn't only meet Leinster teams. So we were well able to make space in 2010 when we beat Tyrone, 2011 when we beat Tyrone and Donegal, 2014 when we beat Monaghan, 2015 when we beat Fermanagh and 2016 when we beat Donegal. Our only defeat to tight-marking Ulster opposition was in 2014 to Donegal. One defeat in seven matches against Ulster teams who in that time were the most tight-marking province."
Maybe i will make it clearer. What was the average winning margin against ulster teams. Did you get a game in most games. This is an exceptional Dublin team. I really like your manager and what he has done apart from the Connolly guff a few weeks back. Also in the Ulster championship we play most games around the provience. Not first round games in the last two years. You didnt even play the team in their own home pitch. Would love to give the Dubs an invitation to the ulster championship. Look you might even get to see a second county ground.

HawkEyed (Donegal) - Posts: 61 - 17/07/2017 15:11:34    2018204

Link

No Doubt that Armagh will fancy their chances V Kildare.
Kildare Management Team need to make some hard decisions now that its confirmed for Croke Park.
In the interest of the team Moolick position at mid field has to be up for review, great grafter however does not have the required mobility to play in this position in the modern running game , also putting too much workload on Feeleys shoulders.
Conway is not a half forward and again McNally goes missing against the better teams.
Not trying to knock any of the players I understand the huge comittment required but now is the time to make the hard calls to push this team on.
On another note it was very evident yesterday from behind the goal how no Kildare players were willing to make the run for the kick-out leaving us to pump it long on top of feeley way too often not fair on the guy who had a superb game.

Sprint (Kildare) - Posts: 3 - 17/07/2017 15:46:22    2018225

Link

This Kildare performance reflects what has been happening in the county over the past 6 or 7 years at underage. The county is in the main competing with Dublin at u16 to u21. Indeed some of our the more talented players have yet to graduate on to the senior panel from '15 and '16. Ultimately that Kildare team yesterday only has about 12 lads up to the level required. Dublin have about 23 or 24 really class players. O'Neill needs to find a wing back, a half forward line as well as one more good inside forward. They also need to have 2 or 4 impact players off the bench. This is going to take another 18 to 24 months. Until such time as they have class players not starting, Kildare wont beat Dublin. That's the challenge but based on what is happening at underage I think its achievable for Kildare to get to a place where they can beat Dublin in a one off game. One would hope that O'Neill is left in the hot seat for a number of years and looks to oversee the appointment of quality coaches across the underage system and indeed to buffer in one more coach (skills perhaps) into his own senior set up.

sportsfan14 (USA) - Posts: 281 - 17/07/2017 15:48:20    2018227

Link

Replying To HawkEyed:  "Maybe i will make it clearer. What was the average winning margin against ulster teams. Did you get a game in most games. This is an exceptional Dublin team. I really like your manager and what he has done apart from the Connolly guff a few weeks back. Also in the Ulster championship we play most games around the provience. Not first round games in the last two years. You didnt even play the team in their own home pitch. Would love to give the Dubs an invitation to the ulster championship. Look you might even get to see a second county ground."
Last Ulster side to beat Dublin again?

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/07/2017 15:54:02    2018229

Link

Great draw for Kildare

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8591 - 17/07/2017 16:57:23    2018270

Link

Replying To HawkEyed:  "Maybe i will make it clearer. What was the average winning margin against ulster teams. Did you get a game in most games. This is an exceptional Dublin team. I really like your manager and what he has done apart from the Connolly guff a few weeks back. Also in the Ulster championship we play most games around the provience. Not first round games in the last two years. You didnt even play the team in their own home pitch. Would love to give the Dubs an invitation to the ulster championship. Look you might even get to see a second county ground."
Don't get this obsession with 'winning margin'. Ye win or ye lose, personally never got any comfort from losing games by a point or two. Also why hold Ulster up as some sort of defining test. Great that it is competitive (outside this year) with teams playing similar styles but asking for Dublin to be put it in so they can be tested, why? Kerry and Mayo have tested us plenty and we have tested them. Maybe all 3 need to go into Ulster to get real tests.

poguemahone (Dublin) - Posts: 365 - 17/07/2017 17:16:37    2018278

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Great draw for Kildare"
Do you think so ? Think it's fairly tricky.

Jack_Sparrow (Westmeath) - Posts: 1016 - 17/07/2017 17:21:41    2018283

Link

Replying To Jack_Sparrow:  "Do you think so ? Think it's fairly tricky."
Well I'd prefer them than Monaghan

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8591 - 17/07/2017 18:17:12    2018321

Link

Replying To AthboyCelt:  "Really thought Kildare played well yesterday and are certainly going in the right direction, just a pity for the neutral that Dan Flynn (who I think is a superb footballer) bottled it when through for goal. If he scored the game was back in the melting pot, fair play to Kildare though looks like they are the one county in Leinster that can give Dublin a challenge over the next few years. It is up to others to make the step up also."
How do you mean bottle it? Nothing to do with nerves, nothing phases Flynn. Maybe could have been a bit more composed though.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1700 - 17/07/2017 18:37:53    2018328

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Great draw for Kildare"
Yeah, just don't like getting one over on Geezer but I'm certain his team will be well prepared. Hope Feeley can play as looking doubtful for Doyle.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1700 - 17/07/2017 18:46:50    2018334

Link

Your post implied that if they played in Ulster they wouldn't be as successful. Well I showed you their record against Ulster teams: 6-1 in the last 7 years. This would suggest that they would do quite well in Ulster. If this current Dublin team had 7 years in Ulster, in my opinion they would win 4 Ulsters, Tyrone 2, Donegal 1. Now if Dublin were in Munster they would have a tougher time winning provincials. I'd slate it as 50/50 between Dublin and Kerry. You're right that they won't get and haven't gotten the same space against Ulster opposition, but they still won.

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 17/07/2017 20:57:10    2018368

Link

Replying To HighKings:  "Exceptional performance from Dublin. Felt Kildare showed lots of potential but it's so hard to build confidence playing in Croke Park against Dublin. It's incredibly demoralising. The other Leinster counties haven't given up before they step on to the Croke Park turf to play Dublin.

I watched the interview with Con O'Callaghan afterwards and it saddened me. His first Leinster final, played unbelievable and he could barely raise a smile. There was no joy in it for him. The kid should be over the moon and going out to celebrate but he looked like he was at a funeral. I dunno what else to say. A lot of work needs to be done to correct Leinster and undo operation Blue Wave."
Yeah Dublin are basically a professional team and you can clearly see they are all well trained with the interviews.

@Kildare fans complaining about meath posters. We are entitled to our opinions. You are gloating about being better then meath right now. But because Dublin are going to win the next 10 leinster titles anyway it doesn't really matter who else is above us. If you're not first you're still a loser.

You have great hope after that final just like meath fans after 2013 when we harshly lost by 7. That's better then you faired on Sunday. I'll tell you what's going to happen before you get your hopes up too high.

Dublin will beat you next year. They will beat you the year after. They will get stronger and you won't be strong enough. They will break the spirit in your team as they realise they can't win and in a few years you will decline again after winning nothing in the championship.

Playing in leinster is a massive disadvantage. If you were in ulster or connaught you would win a few provincial titles every decade. In leinster you last won it 17 years ago and I honestly don't see you winning it again before 2030. And that's only if the gaa divert the massive funds from Dublin underage into Kildare underage.

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts: 2920 - 18/07/2017 06:56:21    2018471

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "Yeah Dublin are basically a professional team and you can clearly see they are all well trained with the interviews.

@Kildare fans complaining about meath posters. We are entitled to our opinions. You are gloating about being better then meath right now. But because Dublin are going to win the next 10 leinster titles anyway it doesn't really matter who else is above us. If you're not first you're still a loser.

You have great hope after that final just like meath fans after 2013 when we harshly lost by 7. That's better then you faired on Sunday. I'll tell you what's going to happen before you get your hopes up too high.

Dublin will beat you next year. They will beat you the year after. They will get stronger and you won't be strong enough. They will break the spirit in your team as they realise they can't win and in a few years you will decline again after winning nothing in the championship.

Playing in leinster is a massive disadvantage. If you were in ulster or connaught you would win a few provincial titles every decade. In leinster you last won it 17 years ago and I honestly don't see you winning it again before 2030. And that's only if the gaa divert the massive funds from Dublin underage into Kildare underage."
Leinster isn't all about Dublin and Kildare, Meath have a roll to play too. You seem so demoralized that you feel it's hardly worth raising the effort to bother in the counties outside Dublin. I don't share your pessimism and I thought Meath had more fight and spirit than that.

kildare73 (Kildare) - Posts: 854 - 18/07/2017 10:38:00    2018516

Link

Jack_Goff (Meath) - Posts:1888 - 18/07/2017

How much underage success did Meath have in the few years before 2013? How many minors or under 21 provincial titles were won in the 4-5 years before 2013? (I've picked 4-5 years as realistically you'd expect any promising minor to feature on subsequent under 21 teams and likewise a promising under 21 player would generally be involved in the senior setup by the time he was 22-23, so in the years following 2013 you'd have expected that bunch of players to be approaching their peak).

Also how did Meath get on playing in Division 1 in 2014?

Regardless of funding levels we've held our own against Dublin over the last couple of years at underage. That's definitely something to build on on-top of an already young senior side that have earned back to back promotions and will be playing Division 1 football next year.

Plenty of hope? Yes. Similar to Meath? Not so much.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 18/07/2017 10:51:34    2018524

Link