National Forum

Dublin v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Just seen replay of Feely challenge on for black card....a nothing shoulder. This should be rescinded if not it's a disgrace. Probably won't be knowing gaa.

Kildare30 (Kildare) - Posts: 603 - 17/07/2017 10:52:41    2017946

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Well just on that I was at the game and to my astonishment 6-7 mins before the game was up hundreds and hundreds of dubs were leaving, by then end prob a few thousand had left not even waiting for the end, trophy etc. Just used to winning it I suppose its routine"
The GAA don't care if there's nobody there for the presentation. There were 66k there at the start and they don't get reimbursed for leaving early.

cavanman47 (Cavan) - Posts: 5012 - 17/07/2017 10:55:10    2017950

Link

Replying To cavanman47:  "The GAA don't care if there's nobody there for the presentation. There were 66k there at the start and they don't get reimbursed for leaving early."
There were hundred and hundreds of Kildare fans leaving

There was literally only Dublin fans clapping Kildare's performance during the presentation

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/07/2017 11:00:20    2017956

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "That black card could end up being a major curse for Rock. Con well able to take over the frees and his replacement scores 5 points from play. Would Rock have scored 5 from play?"
I think it could even be worse for diarmuid Connolly with o'Callaghan scoring 12 points from Connollys position and not getting involved in anything silly.

O'Callaghan is a fine young footballer and I'd say is a shoe in for young player of the year and maybe even player of the year as well.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 17/07/2017 11:13:46    2017969

Link

Having watched the game back again nothing has really changed from what I had originally said straight after the game.

As a spectacle it wasn't the worst game and credit to Kildare they hung in there after the concession of two early goals. I questioned whether or not they would have the mental and physical fitness and to their credit they proved me wrong.

That said, I couldn't help feeling at the time and in reflection that Dublin weren't exactly getting themselves up to 5th gear. They where always doing enough, any sniff of a Kildare comeback and Dublin would just go bang bang and tag on a couple of scores to just keep them at arms length. Case in point, Kildares Flynn misses a goal chance to bring it back to within a few, Dublin break go straight up the other end and scores a couple of scores to all but end it.

Kildare played very well and Dublin still cruised through. A Dublin team that didn't start with Bernard Brogan, Michael Daragh MacAuley, Johnny Cooper, Paul Flynn, Diarmuid Connolly, Kevin McManamon and Eoghan O'Gara. That's not taking away from the mammoth effort Kildare put in, They are a young up and coming team and will be around to challenge for a while youd think, just put it into a bit of perspective.

Said it a few times, the ease at which Kildare broke through just wasn't good enough. Conceding 1-17 to Kildare is not on and another defensive performance like that could see us up the creek against a more defence minded team who wont be conceding 2-23 to us in a million years.

The off the ball movement and workrate of the Dublin team is truly spectactular to watch live. When the ball is in play everyone is just taking their markers to areas of the croke park pitch they would never have envisaged going. Paddy Andrews in particular has to be the most underrated worker that we have, A player who may not score a lorry load but jesus he doesn't half do a job making space for others to run into. Selfless and he epitomises everything good about this Dublin side.

It gets interesting now and I would fancy us to up it against Monaghan/Down/Armagh (I reckon monaghan) next time out. We cant be allowing for some of the laxy daisy defending we saw yesterday against any of those but in particular monaghan with the players they have like Duffy, McManus and McCarron. Onwards and upwards though, where we want to be at this stage.

Up the brilliant Dubs.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 17/07/2017 11:17:58    2017973

Link

The Westmeath game was the wake-up call the Dubs needed!

They look unstoppable now

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1415 - 17/07/2017 11:40:48    2017995

Link

Congratulations to Dublin. Great team.

Hard to tell how close we were. Game was effectively over after the two goals, but if Flynn had scored, we'd only be 3 down.

Dubs always seemed to score when they needed and I felt they could up it if they needed.

Still, very impressed with our attitude and resilience. Big test the next day to respond after a defeat.

Dr.Watson (Kildare) - Posts: 208 - 17/07/2017 11:41:58    2017998

Link

Amazing to see the positive reaction of some to Kildare's performance. I suppose it says a lot about where Leinster football is at in recent years that a positive spin is put on this game. Before this game, after seeing Kildare against Meath I thought Kildare had a real chance. I thought if Kildare played well we would have a real game. Kildare actually did play well and still were not competitive in this game against a Dublin team playing below par, for me this is the real story of this game. Dublin, playing in second gear for most of the game, basically had the game won after about 15 minutes. Dublin probably should have won by more than the 9 points they won by, Kildares late goal and the later Dublin goal not being given flattered Kildare on the scoreboard. Dublin only really seemed to push themselves at the start of each half. I think had Dublin met Kildare later on in the championship when they would have been more tuned in on the All Ireland their margin of victory would have been greater.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1347 - 17/07/2017 11:56:58    2018014

Link

Replying To AthboyCelt:  "Really thought Kildare played well yesterday and are certainly going in the right direction, just a pity for the neutral that Dan Flynn (who I think is a superb footballer) bottled it when through for goal. If he scored the game was back in the melting pot, fair play to Kildare though looks like they are the one county in Leinster that can give Dublin a challenge over the next few years. It is up to others to make the step up also."
Do you really think Flynn scoring would have made any difference in the end ?, Dublin had several more gears to go through if required. Kildare were swatted away by Dublin at the start of the game, Kildare got a bit of a run before half time and were swatted away again at the start of the second half.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1347 - 17/07/2017 12:14:50    2018033

Link

Replying To Ban:  "The Westmeath game was the wake-up call the Dubs needed!

They look unstoppable now"
How was the Westmeath game the wake up call ? We murdered them.

Surely the wake up call was Kerry ?

I don't think we are unstoppable either.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 17/07/2017 12:15:16    2018034

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "How was the Westmeath game the wake up call ? We murdered them.

I don't think we are unstoppable either."
Far from unstoppable Wayno

It's possibly looking like two games on the bounce against two of the best teams in Ulster coming up!

Conceded 1-17 yesterday as you mentioned earlier

An awful lot to work on but that's a good thing

We had two lads retuning from injury too in McMahon and Small and that game time will have done them good

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/07/2017 12:24:09    2018043

Link

Has anybody blamed our warm up for our poor performance yet?

It was very hot yesterday so it was.

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 17/07/2017 12:30:57    2018049

Link

Replying To bdbuddah:  "Amazing to see the positive reaction of some to Kildare's performance. I suppose it says a lot about where Leinster football is at in recent years that a positive spin is put on this game. Before this game, after seeing Kildare against Meath I thought Kildare had a real chance. I thought if Kildare played well we would have a real game. Kildare actually did play well and still were not competitive in this game against a Dublin team playing below par, for me this is the real story of this game. Dublin, playing in second gear for most of the game, basically had the game won after about 15 minutes. Dublin probably should have won by more than the 9 points they won by, Kildares late goal and the later Dublin goal not being given flattered Kildare on the scoreboard. Dublin only really seemed to push themselves at the start of each half. I think had Dublin met Kildare later on in the championship when they would have been more tuned in on the All Ireland their margin of victory would have been greater."
I totally agree with everything you've said.

I don't think Dublin where "at it" in the way they where "at it" against Westmeath. I think we played within ourselves and Kildare played out of their skin and left nothing out there.

Now having said that, When you compare that Dublin are 7 in a row leinster champions, going for 3 all Irelands in a row, have the panel, squad and experience they have and then put that up against Kildares squad who only have two fellas on their panel I believe who played in a leinster final before, they could quite easily have collapsed after the first two goals early doors which is what I feared and questioned during the week and got lambasted for it.

They responded well however and didn't lie down and die like Westmeath. So in that regard I think Kildare fans can be proud of the progress and effort, not the result itself because like you say had Dublin taken some of the easy scoring chances they missed after the second goal I think wed have annihilated them. But anyone congratulating them on their display are patronizing. Your fellow county man summed it up nicely, If Kildare are happy with their moral victory yesterday they will never compete with Dublin, but if it only spurs them on to put in even more effort then yesterdays lesson from a below par dubs will only be of huge benefit to them down the line.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 17/07/2017 12:37:58    2018062

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "How was the Westmeath game the wake up call ? We murdered them.

I agree with you Waynol. Some posters are being a bit disrespectful to KIldare suggesting that this was an understrength Dublin team and that they gone up several gears if they wanted to. I'm sure that Gavin is not thinking along those lines. Brogan gave him something to think about when he came on but maybe that is the best way to use him. Cooper is a first choice but the other players missing will have to fight to get back into the starting team. It is silly to suggest that players can switch up or down 'the gears' during a game. Gavin has a fantastic panel and is using it shrewdly

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 17/07/2017 12:40:06    2018065

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I totally agree with everything you've said.

I don't think Dublin where "at it" in the way they where "at it" against Westmeath. I think we played within ourselves and Kildare played out of their skin and left nothing out there.

Now having said that, When you compare that Dublin are 7 in a row leinster champions, going for 3 all Irelands in a row, have the panel, squad and experience they have and then put that up against Kildares squad who only have two fellas on their panel I believe who played in a leinster final before, they could quite easily have collapsed after the first two goals early doors which is what I feared and questioned during the week and got lambasted for it.

They responded well however and didn't lie down and die like Westmeath. So in that regard I think Kildare fans can be proud of the progress and effort, not the result itself because like you say had Dublin taken some of the easy scoring chances they missed after the second goal I think wed have annihilated them. But anyone congratulating them on their display are patronizing. Your fellow county man summed it up nicely, If Kildare are happy with their moral victory yesterday they will never compete with Dublin, but if it only spurs them on to put in even more effort then yesterdays lesson from a below par dubs will only be of huge benefit to them down the line."
I seriously doubt anyone in Kildare is happy with the end result of yesterday's game. We were chasing from early on which was the cardinal sin we wanted to avoid. You know Dublin will go for the jugular early but knowing it and stopping it are very different things. But now we have a yardstick of where we are and it'll show our lads exactly what they face in the years to come and where they have to strive to get to. That's what I think the management will take from the game. We were largely untested up until yesterday, had it too handy but now our flaws have very definitely been highlighted to us and you need to face the best for that to happen. Yesterday was a learning experience, a harsh one, but if we use it and learn from it, maybe yesterday won't have been the worst thing to happen to us.

kildare73 (Kildare) - Posts: 854 - 17/07/2017 12:56:48    2018082

Link

I was trying to be funny!

Well done to both teams yesterday - in particular Kildare who seem to be going in the right direction

Some great matches to look forward to now

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 1415 - 17/07/2017 13:33:47    2018116

Link

Good open attacking game. For the Lilies, Feely gave a great midfield display yesterday. Flynn hit a point that is as good as any you will see in a game all year. Not sure why folk are slating the praise Kildare are getting. Dublin were expected to win with a bit to spare and they did. If Kildare had set up defensively and lost by 9, folk could've have rightly complained but they had a go and their score tally would've have beaten any team outside the top 4. That is decent progress.

For the Dubs. Was delighted O Callaghan started again, totally deserved after his WM performance. Another top display yesterday. Person not shortlisted for MOTM but who I thought was immense is James McCarthy. A driving force behind most of what Dublin do well. Kilkenny in the same mould. James really deservers all-star consideration but may , yet again, lost out if he is to be considered as a midfielder. Still the Leinster campaign will tell us nothing about Dublin's AI chances. The QFs a whole new competition and definitely room for improvement.

poguemahone (Dublin) - Posts: 365 - 17/07/2017 13:44:30    2018128

Link

Replying To lilypad:  "Ah dear, the meath lads comparing us to them a few years back, no no no, we have better players, we're fitter, we have a better manager, I bet we keep getting closer to dublin instead of going down the plug hole like they did."
Its actually an accurate comparsion and at this early stage in this Kildares teams development flatters Kildare. In actual fact in 2012 (3 point loss) and 2013 (7 point win) our games with Dublin were more compeatitive than the game yesterday. Despite losing by 7 in 2013 we actually played better then in 2012, and the game was close for much longer than yesterdays match which was over after 15 minutes. After the 2013 match people thought Meath, with a new young manager and some good players such as Stephen Bray, Kevin Reilly and Conor Gellispie had the potential to be a real force in the following years. This is actually what people thought at the time. It obviously never happened that way and our performances against Dublin and others since have been worse. Maybe Kildare may improve in the coming years but it is just as possible that they will take a few bad defeats and this team will end up going nowhere. For Kildares chances going forward if the team has an attitude, like some Kildare supporters on here, that an easy 9 point defeat is some type of moral victory they will go nowhere in the years that follow.

bdbuddah (Meath) - Posts: 1347 - 17/07/2017 14:05:21    2018151

Link

Really enjoyed the game yesterday and brilliant to spend the day with Kildare again after many years absence of us playing each other at the business end of Leinster.

I thought Kildare were excellent, in fact one of the best teams in the country on yesterday's showing. They have serious fitness, atletisim, pace, desire, skill, quality, are well drilled, have belief in what they are doing and more importantly under O Neill finishing ability. I think their year is far from over and they could do some serious damage in the championship yet. Honestly believe they are going to take some massive scalps. Some brilliant players in all the lines and one of the best midfields in the country. Hopefully they can now get themselves up for Armagh, I think the will.

As for Dublin, very Up and down performance for me. I've said on here all year Dublin are in transition and I think that was evident again yesterday. No Brogan, Macker, Flynn, Costello, Cooper, MDM or Connolly starting again yesterday. Blooding the new young players has perhaps seen us not being as cohesive as a unit as previous years. Yet some of the individual performances of the younger players have been sublime and you can see it's part of on overall strategy. Scully, O Callaghan, Carthy, Howard all in the vanguard of development, good to see.

On the positives the running game, seems like it's becoming our default approach again and as such our forward line has again been triggered. Some of the runs and movement yesterday was sublime seemed there were option always. The team were very composed and executed their game plan well. Kilkenny is the best footballer in the country for me, he is just everywhere, yesterday he was in the half back line, midfield line, half forward line and forward line on different occasions. King Cons development has been a real positive, what he scored Vs Westmeath and yesterday is staggering, what a talent. Cluxton I thought was brilliant yesterday made a crucil save with the game in the melting pot. Jack Mc gives us another dimension, but yesterday some of his defensive work was superb. Bernard rolled back the years when he came on and I have a feeling he's going to enjoy coming on and less heat from markers. Tactically it was intersting that at times yesterday we played without a central full forward, stretching Kildare on the flanks and triggering the support runners. We really had danger coming from all angles.

In critique we have loads to work on, our defending was up and down sometimes brilliant and other times powder puff. Thought Cian O Sullivan was pulled out of his sweeper role far to easily and Kildare penetrated far to easily through the centre. He hasn't hit his own high standards this year for me. We look weak there. Cooper was missed, while Fitzimns looks vulnerable under the high ball. Philly McMahon looks well of the pace and was rightly hooked after a self indulgent Hail Mary. Loads of work to do at the back for me and it concerned me at times

Overall we continue to evolve and transition with this young team, hopefully we can maintain our competitiveness during this time. I think we are one of a number of teams who could win the whole thing, but this is a new team and they need a bit of Lee way.

Big shout out to the minors on their own brilliant performance, looks like some good ones in that team, was chatting to some of them after the game yesterday, lovely humble lads. Commiserations to Louth.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 17/07/2017 14:06:05    2018155

Link

Replying To poguemahone:  "Good open attacking game. For the Lilies, Feely gave a great midfield display yesterday. Flynn hit a point that is as good as any you will see in a game all year. Not sure why folk are slating the praise Kildare are getting. Dublin were expected to win with a bit to spare and they did. If Kildare had set up defensively and lost by 9, folk could've have rightly complained but they had a go and their score tally would've have beaten any team outside the top 4. That is decent progress.

For the Dubs. Was delighted O Callaghan started again, totally deserved after his WM performance. Another top display yesterday. Person not shortlisted for MOTM but who I thought was immense is James McCarthy. A driving force behind most of what Dublin do well. Kilkenny in the same mould. James really deservers all-star consideration but may , yet again, lost out if he is to be considered as a midfielder. Still the Leinster campaign will tell us nothing about Dublin's AI chances. The QFs a whole new competition and definitely room for improvement."
Yeah agree with you On the Dublin team Con, Bernard and James were outstanding. Jack did well also and Clucko was rock solid with maybe only 3 loose kick-outs. The real challenge for the forwards now, Con especially, is that the opposition defences will tighten up now. Rock won't find himself in acres of space like he did yesterday and Con will be shooting with two fellas all over him. It's a completely different game. I expect that we'll probably face Monaghan and they gave us a tough game up in Clones a few weeks ago. Space will be at a premium and could be a day for the long range kickers.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4700 - 17/07/2017 14:13:27    2018160

Link