National Forum

Dublin v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Man, you are way off the mark. Watch the game again, and in particular Con's performance, if you can play like that and it doesn't bring you enjoyment, you are a robot. In fact I think you're getting the impression that's what Dublin are, robots!
What on earth would a player of amateur status, and it is amateur despite what you might say, get stimulated by a programmed robot role in a gaelic football team, Con doesn't get paid, so why does he try so hard and do so well? Because he is a brilliant young footballer, and if you ever played the game, you will know that when you play well, you are in heaven.
His PR training is about listening to how the older players handle the media and I think he coped with it with the same maturity as a veteran.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 17/07/2017 01:56:20    2017796

Link

Replying To HighKings:  "No, sadly I don't believe he is a happy man. He spoke like a professional sportsman who has had PR training and has forgotten why he even loved Gaelic football in the first place. At this stage even Dublin fans must not be happy about how little value they get out of matches. It's completely joyless."
And by the way, winning Leinsters is not completely joyless for Dublin players, I think their record speaks for that, it takes effort and they always deliver.

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 17/07/2017 01:58:12    2017798

Link

Replying To HighKings:  "No, sadly I don't believe he is a happy man. He spoke like a professional sportsman who has had PR training and has forgotten why he even loved Gaelic football in the first place. At this stage even Dublin fans must not be happy about how little value they get out of matches. It's completely joyless."
I can't speak for every fan but it certainly isn't joyless for me, hopefully we keep winning Leinster every year but hopefully games do get more competitive too.

Dubsfan28 (Dublin) - Posts: 2509 - 17/07/2017 06:35:52    2017810

Link

Jesus wept I've heard it all now!

DannyMcA (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 17/07/2017 07:17:53    2017813

Link

Did those fans and players look joyless yesterday? There was no lack of hunger there, the backs were tackling like tigers with a few minutes to go and 10 points up. Lots more to come from this panel.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4700 - 17/07/2017 08:09:53    2017828

Link

What strikes me about Dublin is the number of new players they have brought in.I think only 8 of the team that started last September's All-Ireland Final started for Dublin yesterday.It shows their huge strength in depth.I also think Jim Gavin wanted to freshen things up.Dublin were nearly beaten by both Kerry and Mayo last year.I think Dublin are better this year and I wonder will anybody get close to them at all.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2155 - 17/07/2017 08:31:05    2017833

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I must admit, I really didn't think we where very good. People calling it exceptional, I really didn't think it was. Kildare won far too much in midfield and cut through us so so easily at times it was frightening. Don't get me wrong I felt we were alri but definitely so much we can improve on."
I agree, I don't think we got out of 3rd gear yesterday. There were many occasions that Kildare ran right through us . But we won by 9 so can't argue with the result. We will need to close down the space faster when runners come through the centre.

Marse (Dublin) - Posts: 217 - 17/07/2017 08:46:19    2017842

Link

That black card could end up being a major curse for Rock. Con well able to take over the frees and his replacement scores 5 points from play. Would Rock have scored 5 from play?

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 17/07/2017 08:49:39    2017845

Link

Replying To realdub:  "Man, you are way off the mark. Watch the game again, and in particular Con's performance, if you can play like that and it doesn't bring you enjoyment, you are a robot. In fact I think you're getting the impression that's what Dublin are, robots!
What on earth would a player of amateur status, and it is amateur despite what you might say, get stimulated by a programmed robot role in a gaelic football team, Con doesn't get paid, so why does he try so hard and do so well? Because he is a brilliant young footballer, and if you ever played the game, you will know that when you play well, you are in heaven.
His PR training is about listening to how the older players handle the media and I think he coped with it with the same maturity as a veteran."
Bang on.

You speak from experience.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/07/2017 08:55:32    2017849

Link

He's a young lad that had a big giant tv camera shoved in his face after a game, he was probably petrified never mind anything else. I'm sure Con will be appreciative of your concern though.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 17/07/2017 08:57:50    2017852

Link

Replying To realdub:  "And by the way, winning Leinsters is not completely joyless for Dublin players, I think their record speaks for that, it takes effort and they always deliver."
Well just on that I was at the game and to my astonishment 6-7 mins before the game was up hundreds and hundreds of dubs were leaving, by then end prob a few thousand had left not even waiting for the end, trophy etc. Just used to winning it I suppose its routine

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 641 - 17/07/2017 09:44:25    2017886

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "That black card could end up being a major curse for Rock. Con well able to take over the frees and his replacement scores 5 points from play. Would Rock have scored 5 from play?"
Agreed, I think Rock has played poorly this year, just in for the frees, which haven't been great either. O Callaghan's performance should knock the complacency out of him..

JimmyK (Dublin) - Posts: 240 - 17/07/2017 09:50:57    2017893

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "That black card could end up being a major curse for Rock. Con well able to take over the frees and his replacement scores 5 points from play. Would Rock have scored 5 from play?"
He had already scored a superbly finished goal - so that's 3 from play

He could easily ended up with 5+ from play

All credit to Con's 6 from play but the scores he got from frees there's a number of Dublin players that could have kicked those ones

Not much of a challenge but he still stood up to take them and knocked them all over- so massive credit but again they weren't the most difficult of kicks.

Rock always starts for me - he's one of the best dead ball kickers in the country and he's been crucial to our success

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/07/2017 09:55:49    2017899

Link

Dublin will walk the all Ireland again

The sheer lack of joy shown by them after winning a leinster final really saps the fun out of of that side of the championship.

7 in a row and they will win the next 5 too

Hunter077 (Roscommon) - Posts: 52 - 17/07/2017 10:02:35    2017905

Link

Replying To jimbodub:  "He had already scored a superbly finished goal - so that's 3 from play

He could easily ended up with 5+ from play

All credit to Con's 6 from play but the scores he got from frees there's a number of Dublin players that could have kicked those ones

Not much of a challenge but he still stood up to take them and knocked them all over- so massive credit but again they weren't the most difficult of kicks.

Rock always starts for me - he's one of the best dead ball kickers in the country and he's been crucial to our success"
Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Rock but it's a fact that the majority of his scores (in most games) come from placed balls, yes he scored a lovely goal yesterday but even with that I think he's got massive competition (more so than previous years) for a starting place now, in my personal opinion.

GaaGaa78 (UK) - Posts: 285 - 17/07/2017 10:05:11    2017907

Link

Kildare went toe to toe yesterday, an backed themselves, no blankets, they played their normal game and played well except for some poor shooting and decision making in 2nd half, we did give Dublin room to play and their pace, movement and point taking was something else. We showed good conditioning to keep going strong to the finish and we found out exactly where we are in relation to Dublin, i.e. we can cause them problems open them up and get scores but we unfortunately we will need to play a more defensive game if we are to beat them in the future, hast off to Bernard Brogan who gave one of his best displays yesterday, Kevin Feely was immense for Kildare

NorthKildare (Kildare) - Posts: 197 - 17/07/2017 10:12:31    2017913

Link

Well played Dublin. Result was what I more or less expected. Failed to track runners for goals and game effectively over in 10/15 minute mark. On a learning curve and haven't played anything like that quality this year. Biggest disappointment losing Kevin Feely potentially for the Armagh game. Didn't see what it was for?

Kildare30 (Kildare) - Posts: 603 - 17/07/2017 10:26:16    2017922

Link

Replying To GaaGaa78:  "Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Rock but it's a fact that the majority of his scores (in most games) come from placed balls, yes he scored a lovely goal yesterday but even with that I think he's got massive competition (more so than previous years) for a starting place now, in my personal opinion."
Competition has always been there and Rock has still got the nod

He's a highly skilled player but no doubt he'll have to be on his toes

For me.. he was doing just that yesterday

That was a superbly finished goal by him.. classy stuff.

The suggestion was would he have finished with 5 points from play ?

Well he had already scored 3 in the first 20 odd minutes, so yes I think he probably would have and finished with about 1-8 / 1-9 to his name and been in contention for MOTM.

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/07/2017 10:30:19    2017928

Link

C'OC has single handily dragged Mayo to AI finals with his accurate place kicking

It's a hugely important factor to have in a complete team

We have one of the best in the country (if not the best)

He starts for me - his accuracy from 45's has been a pivotal factor in a number of our close wins

jimbodub (Dublin) - Posts: 20600 - 17/07/2017 10:39:14    2017936

Link

Really thought Kildare played well yesterday and are certainly going in the right direction, just a pity for the neutral that Dan Flynn (who I think is a superb footballer) bottled it when through for goal. If he scored the game was back in the melting pot, fair play to Kildare though looks like they are the one county in Leinster that can give Dublin a challenge over the next few years. It is up to others to make the step up also.

AthboyCelt (Meath) - Posts: 147 - 17/07/2017 10:43:00    2017940

Link