National Forum

Dublin v Kildare

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Is this some comments from Gavin?

This Kildare team have made a lot of progress over the last 18 months. They waltzed through Division 3 last year, got promoted to division 1 this year and destroyed Laois and Meath.

Dublin won as expected and did what all good teams do, went for the jugular earlier. This defeat will stand to Kildare on the long run if they keep the faith."
Proud of that performance today, great fight and kept going for the full 70+, Dubs are a class apart but they know now that this young Kildare team are only getting started and there will be some epic battles in the near future for Leinster honours when this team begin to mature..
As for the bitter posts from some of our pathetic neighbours? Maybe concentrate that energy sorting out your failure and shambolic state of affairs in your own county..

cuttothebone (Kildare) - Posts: 163 - 16/07/2017 20:07:22    2017652

Link

Replying To dubshurling7:  "Teams don't put a player in front of Cluxton because if they do the full back or corner back just moves 10m away from him and he gives them the ball and they start the attack .

Also the hurling board couldn't care if the footballer's play in Donegal it's a different code."
Cluxton is a class act but you need to gamble as in basketball. Do a press. Not very often but when you ratltle him which Kerry have done you get a chance.Cluxton is the quarter back that has redifned the keeper. Now you are seeing more skills to the position. I do think its a great luxury to gear training for August. As good as the dubs are remember you have played division 4, 3 and 2 teams so far. Now you need to get passed 2 Ulster teams to meet Kerry. Championship begins, hope you haven't peaked too early....Let see if Brogan and co get the space they are allowed in leinster.

HawkEyed (Donegal) - Posts: 61 - 16/07/2017 20:19:07    2017661

Link

Praising a team because they showed great heart and fight is a bit of a cliche, in my opinion at this stage of the championship heart and fight has to be a given. If you do not have that you should not be on the pitch.

The concession of the two early goals not only killed the game as a contest, it tested Kildare to the limit because they could have wilted and been destroyed completely, and destroyed any hope they had of success in the final qualifier.

To Kildares credit they did show heart and fight and courage and it is not easy in these circumstances when the Dubs are in full flow.

Was it enough? well obviously not but this is a team in progress and although the result and parts of the performance will have disappointed them, I thought they showed enough to suggest that their season is far from over.

A year in Division 1 next year you would imagine will bring them on further and I think you would have to be positive about their progress.

ROYALOPTIMIST (Meath) - Posts: 179 - 16/07/2017 20:19:37    2017662

Link

Replying To cuttothebone:  "Proud of that performance today, great fight and kept going for the full 70+, Dubs are a class apart but they know now that this young Kildare team are only getting started and there will be some epic battles in the near future for Leinster honours when this team begin to mature..
As for the bitter posts from some of our pathetic neighbours? Maybe concentrate that energy sorting out your failure and shambolic state of affairs in your own county.."
proud to lose by 9 points? right....

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 16/07/2017 20:26:45    2017669

Link

Hard luck kildare..the 2 early goals killed yis.but fair play 2 kildare' they might have lost but at least they can say they stood up and had a go.good up and coming young team there..hard luck boys..go for the quarters now.hope yis get in.

GGdub (Dublin) - Posts: 260 - 16/07/2017 20:27:26    2017670

Link

I must admit, I really didn't think we where very good. People calling it exceptional, I really didn't think it was. Kildare won far too much in midfield and cut through us so so easily at times it was frightening. Don't get me wrong I felt we were alri but definitely so much we can improve on.

waynoI (Dublin) - Posts: 13650 - 16/07/2017 20:28:29    2017672

Link

Replying To ROYALOPTIMIST:  "Praising a team because they showed great heart and fight is a bit of a cliche, in my opinion at this stage of the championship heart and fight has to be a given. If you do not have that you should not be on the pitch.

The concession of the two early goals not only killed the game as a contest, it tested Kildare to the limit because they could have wilted and been destroyed completely, and destroyed any hope they had of success in the final qualifier.

To Kildares credit they did show heart and fight and courage and it is not easy in these circumstances when the Dubs are in full flow.

Was it enough? well obviously not but this is a team in progress and although the result and parts of the performance will have disappointed them, I thought they showed enough to suggest that their season is far from over.

A year in Division 1 next year you would imagine will bring them on further and I think you would have to be positive about their progress."
Well said.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1700 - 16/07/2017 20:36:32    2017675

Link

Replying To ziggy32001:  "proud to lose by 9 points? right...."
Its not all about the scoreline. All i wanted from that young team was to show a bit of attitude, courage and determination and they showed bucket loads. I'm proud of the way they never threw in the towel and kept going at Dublin. Super effort from the team and am happy to say I'm proud of their effort. They'll learn from that game today.

St.Conleth (Kildare) - Posts: 1700 - 16/07/2017 20:43:08    2017679

Link

Replying To waynoI:  "I must admit, I really didn't think we where very good. People calling it exceptional, I really didn't think it was. Kildare won far too much in midfield and cut through us so so easily at times it was frightening. Don't get me wrong I felt we were alri but definitely so much we can improve on."
It must be tough following Dublin alright Wayne.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 16/07/2017 20:44:40    2017681

Link

Wasn't sure who support today pure sick of Kildare this year to be honest. But after 2 mins found found myself screaming for Kildare. But I could help myself thinking if that was against Meath a few of them balls would found the net. I did;nt . I thin they bottled a good few chances ( Having said that Daniel flynn point if first half was one of the best I ever seen in Croke Park, if the gouch scored it they would be wetting them selves) think Dublin where not super fit in the second half and they made alot substitutions to keep up even thought they where in command, (Dublin are not used to getting a challenge this time of year ) and there was a fair few Dublin players making lazy tackles Ie pulling players back which Dublin don't normally do. Are flynn missed that chance it was kinda game over. But Kildare will benefit from playing div 1 next year what ever happens, And of course they are still in this year.

bobkarlgees (Meath) - Posts: 1263 - 16/07/2017 20:53:01    2017684

Link

Replying To St.Conleth:  "Its not all about the scoreline. All i wanted from that young team was to show a bit of attitude, courage and determination and they showed bucket loads. I'm proud of the way they never threw in the towel and kept going at Dublin. Super effort from the team and am happy to say I'm proud of their effort. They'll learn from that game today."
I think it's quite reasonable for Kildare supporters to be proud of their team's efforts today.Kildare have a lot of young players and as we know, that's a serious Dublin team.The challenge for Kildare will be that the next time they play Dublin, which will likely be next year because there isn't much else in Leinster, not to concede goals like the two they conceded in the first half and to be a lot closer than 9 points to Dublin when the final whistle blows.We'll know then if Kildare are going places but they do seem to have potential and Cian O'Neill is a good coach.

endgame (Roscommon) - Posts: 2154 - 16/07/2017 20:55:09    2017686

Link

I didn't catch the possesion stats at the game but Kildare seemed to have plenty of the ball. As I expected they did well in the middle and pushed right up on Cluxton. Their downfall was those two goals. You could have driven the Roscommon team bus through the middle of them for that Rock goal. Those goals plus Cluxton's fantastic save really hurt Kildare. They took some excellent points in that first half having been 9 down then reeling us in to 4. More to come from them in the future no doubt. Apart from Con O'Callaghan's performance, the highlight of the day for me was Bernard Brogan. What a player. An absolute legend and one of the all time greats for sure.

Joxer (Dublin) - Posts: 4700 - 16/07/2017 21:01:07    2017688

Link

Replying To St.Conleth:  "Its not all about the scoreline. All i wanted from that young team was to show a bit of attitude, courage and determination and they showed bucket loads. I'm proud of the way they never threw in the towel and kept going at Dublin. Super effort from the team and am happy to say I'm proud of their effort. They'll learn from that game today."
ok take your point,but if kildare played badly,they would have been stuffed. kildare are the 2nd best team in leinster but miles behind dublin. kinda scary when the 2nd best team in leinster loses by 9 points and gets so much plaudits.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 16/07/2017 21:02:37    2017690

Link

In fairness to Kildare they kept going to the end, would have been easy for heads to drop after going two goals down. No reason why they cannot get to the semi-final and after that who knows. Have the makings of a very good team for the next few years.

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2135 - 16/07/2017 21:03:37    2017691

Link

Apologies to the Wolfe Tones I re-wrote their
Fourteen men (Ballad of Jimmy Keaveney)

Now -
Twelve weeks off Dermo's Holliers (The Ballad of Diarmuid Connolly)

And there was fifteen on Connolly got twelve,
Dermo on the sideline havin a gawk,
Jim and the boys were working out a plan,
How to beat the Lillywhites without the Vinnies man.

From Hill 16, what a sight to see
With 'the process' in full flow
They said f**k the CCCC
Questions were being asked,
Will Jim talk to RTE?

It was early in the game, Dublin should be proud,
They put it in the net twice to quieten Kildare down,
The dubs may come, and dubs may go,
While history was made seven lenister's in a row.

Rock was given black,
He walked off in the sun,
But Con showed the way,
And he was only twenty-one

Were with them when we win, were with them when we lose,
Mayo and Kerry watch out for superblues,
We won't be easy beatin and never will we yield,
As long as there's a man to kick the ball upon the field

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 16/07/2017 21:15:32    2017702

Link

Was at the 2 games today. Great day out in the lovely sunshine.Pity about the minor result but dead proud of our lads. Senior final was very entertaining. Free flowing, long balls, short balls, men taking men on great stuff.Kildare can be proud they are moving in the right direction. Bit for those early goals they did good it knocked them but to be fair they kept at it, but you won't get joy giving dubs 9 point headstart. Dubs were good always enjoy watching them, their attacking style is refreshing fair play. In Con O'Callaghan they have a new prodigy who has everything and has a great head on his shoulders. No drama with him, Connolly a player who I love to watch needs to cop on. There is always some sort of drama with him and if he's not careful the Dublin conveyor belt will churn out a few more Con o'C's and he won't have a place in the team

GAAdundalk (Louth) - Posts: 641 - 16/07/2017 21:22:24    2017709

Link

Kildare will give bottles of it to whoever they meet next.
Not top table stuff yet but the potential is there if they can move up another level.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 16/07/2017 21:36:01    2017713

Link

Replying To Jack_Goff:  "Kildare are likely a slightly worse version of meath 2013 when we ran the dubs closer and lost by 7 in the end.

The same thing is going to happen. Kildare will think they can improve and beat them in the next 2 years. But Dublin will dispose of you no problem again and again until they finally break the spirit in your team and they'll go back to hammering you by 15+ in a few years.

The likes of meath and Kildare can possibly beat Dublin in 15+ years but the gaa need to start investing millions yearly into their underage starting now. Otherwise it will remain pros vs amateurs. This is what happens when you invest the most into the biggest county with the most resources."
I have to 100% agree with you there Jack_Goff ...i remember Meath 2013 and all the same sound bites are been said now about Kildare right now !

Meath 2013 were still in that game at the 60 minutes mark...we actually were ahead by 3 points i think at half time!

Pundits and newspapers said the next day we were a good young and coming team !

Experts also said if we can add 4 or 5 new players to the team we could very well be able to compete with Dublin again every year !

But Dublin were the ones who added 8 or 9 new players to the team " E Lowndes, J Small,B Fenton; C O'Callaghan , N Scully,D Rock and many more !

Kildare improved in the last 12 months immensely ..but the next 12 months they will probably have to face Dublin in the o'byrne cup,Division 1 and again this time next year in the championship ...by that stage forward 365 days it could be 4 losses to Dublin winning margin getting bigger and the back completely broke on this up and coming team! Sound familiar ?

Cian o'neills Kildare team would win a Ulster or Connacht title no problem and not just one if they were ever to compete in Ulster or Connacht for example ..but this time next year football could be completely put out of the young Kildare lads heads sadly!

WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts: 875 - 16/07/2017 21:43:33    2017719

Link

Replying To GAAdundalk:  "Was at the 2 games today. Great day out in the lovely sunshine.Pity about the minor result but dead proud of our lads. Senior final was very entertaining. Free flowing, long balls, short balls, men taking men on great stuff.Kildare can be proud they are moving in the right direction. Bit for those early goals they did good it knocked them but to be fair they kept at it, but you won't get joy giving dubs 9 point headstart. Dubs were good always enjoy watching them, their attacking style is refreshing fair play. In Con O'Callaghan they have a new prodigy who has everything and has a great head on his shoulders. No drama with him, Connolly a player who I love to watch needs to cop on. There is always some sort of drama with him and if he's not careful the Dublin conveyor belt will churn out a few more Con o'C's and he won't have a place in the team"
Dublin pure class as usual but Kildare were very impressive today. Serious athletes and some good ball players , Feely looks a class act. Kildare are a coming team with lots of improvement in them. Fancy Kildare to win their next match and give the quarters a good rattle.

salvador (Roscommon) - Posts: 439 - 16/07/2017 21:51:17    2017724

Link

Cian o'neills Kildare team would win a Ulster or Connacht title no problem and not just one...
WhyTheLongFace (Meath) - Posts:560 - 16/07/2017 21:43:33

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And you come from a county whose record against Ulster teams in the last 5 championships is played 5, lost 5. Have some shame.

Thomas Clarke (Tyrone) - Posts: 1002 - 16/07/2017 22:01:03    2017728

Link