National Forum

Refereeing crisis

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To FOX40WHISTLER:  "Jesus i'm after reading some bull here for last few days. When was the last time any of ye refereed a game or set an exam on the playing rules of the GAA. How can ye judge any individual who gives up their time freely to officiate when the only reward they get is a backlash from you lads. I noticed none of ye quoted any rule that the referee misapplied in any of the games they had done. I can only imagine how big a whingers ye are at local club games when yer crying as much as ye are now."
What a ridulous comment. I have previous experiance of Refereeing but due to having to move to Dublin for work i can no longer do it. The reason i personally have not quoted the rule book in any example is because and example i have tried give have been filtered out by mods.
As i have said i dont mind a ref thats bad to both sides he might just not be good but more and more we are seeing refs blatantly favor one team over anyother. One rule for one team a different for another and they dont follow the rule book. No consitancy in Black card ahh the list is endless its a shambles at the minute

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 07/06/2017 12:01:52    1996362

Link

Replying To FOX40WHISTLER:  "Jesus i'm after reading some bull here for last few days. When was the last time any of ye refereed a game or set an exam on the playing rules of the GAA. How can ye judge any individual who gives up their time freely to officiate when the only reward they get is a backlash from you lads. I noticed none of ye quoted any rule that the referee misapplied in any of the games they had done. I can only imagine how big a whingers ye are at local club games when yer crying as much as ye are now."
Lads its all very easy to come on here and criticise referees but we do need some perspective too.
Firstly I do agree that referees are far from perfect and they do make mistakes - but then so do most players every day that they go out. the issue is that every action that a referee takes is scrutinised to the last detail and from every angle with the TV coverage we have. the referee has one view and that could be obscured by a player and generally he is focussed 100% on what is going on on the ball so is reliant on umpires and linesmen for off the ball stuff. so what seems like a blatent foul from a TV angle may not be obvious from whgere the ref is at.
Secondly Gaelic football is one of the toughest game to referee in terms of the type of physical contact and the proximity to the play and the size of the pitch. there is really no comparison with Soccer and rugby in this regard.
Thirdly GAA games are flowing so there is no TMO or opportunities to review a call so a decision has to be made and it has to be abided by.
So in summary we are judging the standards in GAA by the paramaters of other sports. hardly fair and generally this is done by people who just want to knock the GAA and point out its flaws not people who are interested in improving the game.
Refs have a tough job I would like to see an improvement but I think the root of the problem lies in some silly rules and unrealistic expectations.

fearcliste (Wexford) - Posts: 178 - 07/06/2017 12:48:13    1996393

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "What a ridulous comment. I have previous experiance of Refereeing but due to having to move to Dublin for work i can no longer do it. The reason i personally have not quoted the rule book in any example is because and example i have tried give have been filtered out by mods.
As i have said i dont mind a ref thats bad to both sides he might just not be good but more and more we are seeing refs blatantly favor one team over anyother. One rule for one team a different for another and they dont follow the rule book. No consitancy in Black card ahh the list is endless its a shambles at the minute"
referee in Dublin if you know it all

reffingmad (Roscommon) - Posts: 371 - 07/06/2017 13:00:50    1996413

Link

Replying To fearcliste:  "Lads its all very easy to come on here and criticise referees but we do need some perspective too.
Firstly I do agree that referees are far from perfect and they do make mistakes - but then so do most players every day that they go out. the issue is that every action that a referee takes is scrutinised to the last detail and from every angle with the TV coverage we have. the referee has one view and that could be obscured by a player and generally he is focussed 100% on what is going on on the ball so is reliant on umpires and linesmen for off the ball stuff. so what seems like a blatent foul from a TV angle may not be obvious from whgere the ref is at.
Secondly Gaelic football is one of the toughest game to referee in terms of the type of physical contact and the proximity to the play and the size of the pitch. there is really no comparison with Soccer and rugby in this regard.
Thirdly GAA games are flowing so there is no TMO or opportunities to review a call so a decision has to be made and it has to be abided by.
So in summary we are judging the standards in GAA by the paramaters of other sports. hardly fair and generally this is done by people who just want to knock the GAA and point out its flaws not people who are interested in improving the game.
Refs have a tough job I would like to see an improvement but I think the root of the problem lies in some silly rules and unrealistic expectations."
You make some fair enough points but if a player has a bad game like you say they get dropped, Referees dont get punished for having howlers they still are out the following Sunday getting there few pound no matter how they perform. And i agree its not and easy job thats why as i said in my previous post all you can ask for is a bit of consistancy but more and more i see Refs blatanty favoring one team over another.

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 07/06/2017 13:08:41    1996420

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "You make some fair enough points but if a player has a bad game like you say they get dropped, Referees dont get punished for having howlers they still are out the following Sunday getting there few pound no matter how they perform. And i agree its not and easy job thats why as i said in my previous post all you can ask for is a bit of consistancy but more and more i see Refs blatanty favoring one team over another."
you can only drop a player if you got someone better to come in!!! and if a player gets things 90% right in a game id say they would hold there place.
but the objective here is to improve the overall standard in refereeing all to often the referee gets blames for everything and teams/players don't accept their own responsibility. I'm not a referee myself but I do umpire on occasion for a referee (who used to be an intercounty ref). was umpiring a few weeks ago when a mentor from one of the teams came complaining to me about the ref being 'inconsistent' I didn't think he was being but I said to him "whether hes inconsistent or not he's not the reason ur losing its the missed penalty and 3 missed frees from inside 35 meters and the mistake your goalkeeper made for their goal." See its all about perspective.
I have to say (and there may be exceptions to this) I doubt many intercounty referees go out in any game to 'do a team' or to be biased. they are focussed on doing the best job they can ant to get the best results from the assessor so as the will get considered for the big games. However in the heat of battle if a team is dogging a ref well I guess human nature might take over and he may not be favourably disposed. We are all human after all. even Refs. Wouldn't it be great if they were programmable robots.

fearcliste (Wexford) - Posts: 178 - 07/06/2017 13:39:57    1996439

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "What a ridulous comment. I have previous experiance of Refereeing but due to having to move to Dublin for work i can no longer do it. The reason i personally have not quoted the rule book in any example is because and example i have tried give have been filtered out by mods.
As i have said i dont mind a ref thats bad to both sides he might just not be good but more and more we are seeing refs blatantly favor one team over anyother. One rule for one team a different for another and they dont follow the rule book. No consitancy in Black card ahh the list is endless its a shambles at the minute"
Well u got your answer and you didnt reply. You can referee in Dublin if you are really interested but i dont think you are. We currently have 20 inter county referee's on the championship panel. For what its worth if refs do have these howlers well then they are more or less stepped down for a while. The problem with the championship is that you have to drop them completely and not for a period of time as the ref would come back in at a more serious end of the championship. Joe Mc Quillan was a big looser last year when he awarded Aidan O'Shea a soft penalty!! He didnt get another game until national league this year. No referee intentionally go out to make mistakes or be biased as suggested. If you truly have refereeing experience one would recognise that.

FOX40WHISTLER (Longford) - Posts: 8 - 08/06/2017 14:33:35    1996954

Link

Have to say ref in today's minor hurling semi final between Dublin and cork was very poor, kind of ruined the game with his whistle happy with almost 50% of the frees to both teams leave you wondering where the foul was. Sent cork lad off for pulling on thin air with even the dublin player in possesion puzzled look on his face. Hope he gets that rescinded as would be a shame to see miss final over nothing.

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 13/08/2017 15:01:41    2032751

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Have to say ref in today's minor hurling semi final between Dublin and cork was very poor, kind of ruined the game with his whistle happy with almost 50% of the frees to both teams leave you wondering where the foul was. Sent cork lad off for pulling on thin air with even the dublin player in possesion puzzled look on his face. Hope he gets that rescinded as would be a shame to see miss final over nothing."
Agree his whistle was blowing harder than a gale, a player standing his ground is not blocking its a charge, third man tackles, jaysus the list went on and on. Made for a very scrappy affair but well done to Cork and like you the card has to be rescinded though it may have two yellows.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4895 - 13/08/2017 15:07:21    2032755

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Have to say ref in today's minor hurling semi final between Dublin and cork was very poor, kind of ruined the game with his whistle happy with almost 50% of the frees to both teams leave you wondering where the foul was. Sent cork lad off for pulling on thin air with even the dublin player in possesion puzzled look on his face. Hope he gets that rescinded as would be a shame to see miss final over nothing."
It was a second yellow,he only missed the rest of the game,he's ok for the final

backtofront (Limerick) - Posts: 26 - 13/08/2017 17:50:15    2032823

Link

James Owens got all of the big call right today bar a free he gave to cork in the second half on the hogan side. Himself and the Linesmen and Umpires missed what Austin Gleeson done.

You could argue that Gleeson shouldn't have been on the field and the result may have been different. He was instrumental in 2 of the goals.

Let's not forget that the game is nearly impossible to ref with the speed and all that is going on.

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 13/08/2017 17:54:03    2032826

Link

Replying To daytona11:  "James Owens got all of the big call right today bar a free he gave to cork in the second half on the hogan side. Himself and the Linesmen and Umpires missed what Austin Gleeson done.

You could argue that Gleeson shouldn't have been on the field and the result may have been different. He was instrumental in 2 of the goals.

Let's not forget that the game is nearly impossible to ref with the speed and all that is going on."
Please, stop it, he was terrible.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 13/08/2017 17:56:39    2032830

Link

Replying To backtofront:  "It was a second yellow,he only missed the rest of the game,he's ok for the final"
Apologies missed the second yellow, good to see as didn't deserve to be sent off
felt ref in senior game had a very good match to be fair to him

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 13/08/2017 18:03:53    2032836

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "Please, stop it, he was terrible."
Get a whistle and go out and give it a go.

What was so bad about him?

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 13/08/2017 18:16:50    2032839

Link

Replying To arock:  "Agree his whistle was blowing harder than a gale, a player standing his ground is not blocking its a charge, third man tackles, jaysus the list went on and on. Made for a very scrappy affair but well done to Cork and like you the card has to be rescinded though it may have two yellows."
Only saw the last 15mins or so but in that time he made wrong calls that to me should not have been missed - you can talk about the speed of the game and line of sight but there were some decisions that neither of those would have been involved. As a previous poster said, these things don't go unnoticed by the referees committee and unfortunately for this ref I am not sure he will be back at this stage again. Refs are only human and react to pressure as much as the players do on a big day, on another day he could get them all right. The crises in refereeing is the fact that so few players want to do it once they finish playing - perhaps if some of the lads took up refereeing rather than punditry it would encourage others to do it!

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1800 - 13/08/2017 18:21:49    2032841

Link

Replying To daytona11:  "James Owens got all of the big call right today bar a free he gave to cork in the second half on the hogan side. Himself and the Linesmen and Umpires missed what Austin Gleeson done.

Let's not forget that the game is nearly impossible to ref with the speed and all that is going on."
James Owens & his linesmen had a shocker, not sure what you were watching.

Uimhir.a.3. (Galway) - Posts: 409 - 13/08/2017 18:21:55    2032842

Link

Lads,

Pinpoint specific incidents and don't be so vague.

Austin Gleeson shouldn't have been on the field. I accept that. But what other huge calls did he make that affected the game?

daytona11 (Kildare) - Posts: 4012 - 13/08/2017 18:24:57    2032844

Link

Replying To daytona11:  "Lads,

Pinpoint specific incidents and don't be so vague.

Austin Gleeson shouldn't have been on the field. I accept that. But what other huge calls did he make that affected the game?"
If they didn't see what Gleeson did (we only did with the benefit of the other camera angle) it wasn't a call they made. After that I don't see where they got it wrong - as you I would like a few examples.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1800 - 13/08/2017 18:41:50    2032853

Link

The crises in refereeing is the fact that so few players want to do it once they finish playing - perhaps if some of the lads took up refereeing rather than punditry it would encourage others to do it!

zinny (Wexford) - Posts:373 - 13/08/2017 18:21:49 2032841

Punditry pays far more then refereeing.

Cockney_Cat (UK) - Posts: 2448 - 13/08/2017 19:30:23    2032868

Link

Young refs getting dogs abuse and even physically attacked up and down the country every Sunday and people wonder why there are no top standard refs..

bad.monkey (USA) - Posts: 4624 - 13/08/2017 19:31:48    2032869

Link

Replying To daytona11:  "Get a whistle and go out and give it a go.

What was so bad about him?"
Leave it with me, I am going to rewatch the game and get back to you because I want to properly highlight how bad he was.

I have never been impressed with him. He was woeful any time he refereed Tipp over the years.

Things that annoyed me today included he dirty and late hit by Cahalane on Moran and nothing was done, not even holding up play when he stayed down. A couple of minutes later he made a big fuss about Bennett's challenge on Nash. Nash was grand after some quick running repairs whereas Moran got a proper slap of the Hurley down on his hand.

He gave Cork a free for a simple shoulder to shoulder and gave some really soft frees to Cork.

Cahalane should have been sent off sooner than he was.

When you see The Rock and Shanahan on the pitch you know he is not in control of the game.

Gave a really soft free into Cork towards the end for a challenge by Maurice.

In answering your suggestion about me putting my money where my mouth is and the game being extremely fast. That's fair enough you are right, I don't envy tne Job of refs. A suggestion I would have is to have two referees like in other sports.

Owens probably annoys me the most of the modern referees.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 13/08/2017 20:07:57    2032885

Link