National Forum

Refereeing crisis

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To sponger:  "16 team A and B championship. Stop this farce right now. The weaker counties will never be
able to compete with the big guns.

I think that it is insulting to suggest that Carlow achieved anything last night, other than utter failure. If anything it sets back football back even further, if that is possible."
Insulting to who sponger,? Carlow footballers didn't fall into those categories last night, perhaps you are referring to your own.

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 04/06/2017 14:36:21    1994431

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Worst thing about the sport at minute is officiating. Some of the frees last night on both sides were pathetic and all hoola ball oo surrounding Connolly touching a chest what's lost in all of this is the appalling decison by the linesman to somehow award a line ball to Carlow from a kickout going directly over the sideline. Until officials performances are highlighted and punished we won't see an improvement as they are under no pressure to get calls as the players are the main focus of attention after any incident.
players get frustrated by such poor calls"
Great post agree with that, I have stayed out of the Connolly debate because what the linesman what at god only knows but at least you can admit the bewildering decisions made last night

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 04/06/2017 14:42:07    1994435

Link

Replying To sponger:  "16 team A and B championship. Stop this farce right now. The weaker counties will never be
able to compete with the big guns.

I think that it is insulting to suggest that Carlow achieved anything last night, other than utter failure. If anything it sets back football back even further, if that is possible."
Thank God someone from a 'weaker' county talking some sense.

I just can't understand the response's from Carlow and Antrim supporters to the proposal of a B championship.

How could anything be achieved from the hammering they received from two of the top teams in the country.

There was no glorious defeat or moral high ground to be had from these games. They were walk overs by two teams who were not operating out of 2nd gear.

Would it not be better to develop your county team's by playing football against teams of similar standard? You will never stand a chance of winning a provincial or all Ireland title the way things stand at the minute.

Wally (Tyrone) - Posts: 912 - 04/06/2017 14:57:13    1994449

Link

Another example of poor officiating in down v Armagh
The ref wrongly attempted to send off a player for a second yellow card.
the player had to argue his case and the ref had to ask somebody in his ear piece to check it out. Which resulted in a lengthy stoppage with the player being right.
They need to improve officiating urgently

hill16no1man (Dublin) - Posts: 12665 - 04/06/2017 18:01:42    1994543

Link

Replying To Wally:  "Thank God someone from a 'weaker' county talking some sense.

I just can't understand the response's from Carlow and Antrim supporters to the proposal of a B championship.

How could anything be achieved from the hammering they received from two of the top teams in the country.

There was no glorious defeat or moral high ground to be had from these games. They were walk overs by two teams who were not operating out of 2nd gear.

Would it not be better to develop your county team's by playing football against teams of similar standard? You will never stand a chance of winning a provincial or all Ireland title the way things stand at the minute."
You talk sense my friend.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2897 - 04/06/2017 18:19:43    1994558

Link

Replying To supersub15:  "Insulting to who sponger,? Carlow footballers didn't fall into those categories last night, perhaps you are referring to your own."
Insulting to the counties who play a couple of games and are then discarded while the strong get stronger.

There is a lot of delusion around. Wicklow would win the gold medal in it every time.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2897 - 04/06/2017 18:54:39    1994578

Link

Replying To Wally:  "Thank God someone from a 'weaker' county talking some sense.

Would it not be better to develop your county team's by playing football against teams of similar standard? You will never stand a chance of winning a provincial or all Ireland title the way things stand at the minute."
If your team is already playing at a poor standard, how can they improve their standard by playing teams of a similar poor standard? Teams can only get better if they have regular games against teams of a higher standard. Some type of development league mixed with divisions of teams from standard 1 to 4 and some sort of mentoring from coaches players from the stronger teams when a top team plays teams from so-called weaker counties. There are no weaker counties by the way. Just counties that haven't won anything for a good while if ever. Counties with great supporters who follow their teams in lean times and might never get to see them in Croke Park. Croke Park laugh at them, with the Super 8 filling their bellies.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 04/06/2017 19:38:37    1994608

Link

Replying To sponger:  "Insulting to the counties who play a couple of games and are then discarded while the strong get stronger.

There is a lot of delusion around. Wicklow would win the gold medal in it every time."
Wicklow wouldnt win a raffle, And if they have the same attitude as you they may as well give up playing GAA

Cuckoosinging (Roscommon) - Posts: 992 - 04/06/2017 19:50:38    1994623

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "Wicklow wouldnt win a raffle, And if they have the same attitude as you they may as well give up playing GAA"
Football is dead in many counties in Ireland. They will never achieve anything above an average level.

Time for the B championship.

sponger (Wicklow) - Posts: 2897 - 04/06/2017 20:58:10    1994671

Link

Replying To sponger:  "Insulting to the counties who play a couple of games and are then discarded while the strong get stronger.

There is a lot of delusion around. Wicklow would win the gold medal in it every time."
Sponger, did this so called down ward spiral leading to the present state of gaelic football in the weaker counties not start with the introduction of the Back Door system, Y/N?

supersub15 (Carlow) - Posts: 2907 - 04/06/2017 22:15:52    1994732

Link

Replying To hill16no1man:  "Another example of poor officiating in down v Armagh
The ref wrongly attempted to send off a player for a second yellow card.
the player had to argue his case and the ref had to ask somebody in his ear piece to check it out. Which resulted in a lengthy stoppage with the player being right.
They need to improve officiating urgently"
the black card that was issued for a cynical pull down ala sean cavanaghs with the player running through was useless and no punishnebt, which led to 7mins of pure bull shit with Armagh players taking issue with the foul and rushing all in style. the 4 yellows also were useless. Ball should have been threw in whilst the crap was going on and then issue whatever. Also players standing about 6yrd infront of Clarke also wasn't addressed maybe a 14yrd free against 3 on the goal line maybe could make a difference. Time for a complete overhaul and simplification of the playing rules and a semi pro/ pro panel of refs to referee and officiate and maybe some sort of consistency of decisions would emerge and players etc would know whats what.

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 04/06/2017 22:39:48    1994745

Link

Replying To Cuckoosinging:  "Great post agree with that, I have stayed out of the Connolly debate because what the linesman what at god only knows but at least you can admit the bewildering decisions made last night"
been to 2 games this year so far tyrone last week and reluctantly after a heavy night brought to newry today by my brother in law for my birthday after a couple of years away, have to say in both the officiating has been not only confusing but the inconsistency has been head scratching. Only thing good about today was I got a few squids from the bookie and a nice 50 squids from him only to give it away to the carrickdale before going back up the road. Seriously though, if that shenanigans today close to the end line had of happened in a club game or possibly another county game it could have been even more serious with spectators getting involved. And yes I've seen it happen in an ulster club hurling final this year in owenbeg with spectators coming out of the stands and lifting hurls to use against other players and officials. And yes hefty fines and suspensions followed. S o CP need to get the act together before some hot head /s really do take umbrage against a player or official

bulmccabe (Tyrone) - Posts: 361 - 04/06/2017 22:53:02    1994753

Link

There already is a tiered competition. It's called the league. Teams can and do move freely up and down the divisions.

There are very few football counties that are stuck going absolutely nowhere.

Wicklow probably are one of them.

Look at Fermanagh, lost to London in the championship, in division 4 and then a few years later made an AI quarterfinal and had a couple of seasons in division 2.

I don't see the point in a 16/16 A and B championship. There'd still be 10 teams with practically 0 chance of winning the competition.

If we're judging teams on whether they can put it up to Dublin or not we'd have a 4 or 5 team All Ireland.

What's the harm in having a Provincial championship that gets good numbers and gives weaker fans and players an opportunity on the big stage.

It'll be a long time before Carlow are shown live on TV again.

These sorts of things make a difference in terms of the funding counties can receive from sponsors.

Wicklow's problems are nothing to do with the current systems.

They've had a notoriously bad county board over the years.

Their current management team is a shambles, I have first hand experience of how bad they've got it.

If Monaghan with one of the smallest populations in the country can be consistently reaching quarterfinals and playing in division 1 then there's pretty much no reason why it can't be achieved in any other county bar say London, Leitrim and maybe hurling mad Waterford.

That is born out by practically every team having played in either a provincial final or AI quarterfinal in the qualifiers era.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4222 - 05/06/2017 10:23:14    1994892

Link

Replying To Whammo86:  "There already is a tiered competition. It's called the league. Teams can and do move freely up and down the divisions.

There are very few football counties that are stuck going absolutely nowhere.

Wicklow probably are one of them.

Look at Fermanagh, lost to London in the championship, in division 4 and then a few years later made an AI quarterfinal and had a couple of seasons in division 2.

I don't see the point in a 16/16 A and B championship. There'd still be 10 teams with practically 0 chance of winning the competition.

If we're judging teams on whether they can put it up to Dublin or not we'd have a 4 or 5 team All Ireland.

What's the harm in having a Provincial championship that gets good numbers and gives weaker fans and players an opportunity on the big stage.

It'll be a long time before Carlow are shown live on TV again.

These sorts of things make a difference in terms of the funding counties can receive from sponsors.

Wicklow's problems are nothing to do with the current systems.

They've had a notoriously bad county board over the years.

Their current management team is a shambles, I have first hand experience of how bad they've got it.

If Monaghan with one of the smallest populations in the country can be consistently reaching quarterfinals and playing in division 1 then there's pretty much no reason why it can't be achieved in any other county bar say London, Leitrim and maybe hurling mad Waterford.

That is born out by practically every team having played in either a provincial final or AI quarterfinal in the qualifiers era."
Great post Whammo.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7344 - 05/06/2017 11:09:19    1994907

Link

What frustrates me is that the GAA do nothing to assist referees in managing the game. Firstly, why isn't there a stop-clock instead of asking the referee on top of everything else to manage the time. Why isn't a video referee there in big games, to assist the referee. Instead, the GAA just come out with the line "He's a top referee", whenever any mistakes are made. Now, on top of that we have a black card rule that referees apply one day, and others ignore the next day.

PK57 (Louth) - Posts: 1653 - 05/06/2017 12:12:12    1994938

Link

People keep going on about semi pro/pro referees but that alone wont improve standards. The overall philosophy around referees and refereeing needs to change and supporters, players and coaches attitudes towards officials needs to change.

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 05/06/2017 13:29:04    1994991

Link

Whammo86 (Antrim)-good post and I would add that maybe we could have the 16 bottom teams in the league going into a competition where 4 of them get into the last 16 of the championship, or something similar to give the weaker counties more championship summer matches.

browncows (Meath) - Posts: 2342 - 05/06/2017 13:57:54    1995010

Link

A B championship would signal the end for counties like Wicklow, Carlow, Antrim etc trying to hang onto the coat tails of the strong counties. This would suit much of the GAA top brass agenda as it would make the fixture calendar much easier and remove the pressure they are getting from the CPA. A potential scenario for any future B Championship is that on the same day as a big 'A' championship marquee game live on TV, they would fix Wicklow V Antrim or Carlow V Leitrim for some far flung provincial venue, no TV coverage and a handful of spectators. This is what they have done in Hurling with Christy Ring etc. The attitude is get it played and get it out of the way so we can concentrate on the real Hurling. Try trying to attract sponsors and generate local support to buy into that!
The elephant in the room which they don't want to tackle is the distribution of wealth and while we continue with a situation where Dublin can negotiate multi million euro deals with multi-national companies and still benefit from the bulk of centrally allocated coaching funds while Carlow, Wicklow, Antrim, Leitrim try and scrape up some funding from local businesses supporters clubs etc then the whole thing is going to continue to spiral downwards. Instead of telling counties they are not good enough & relegating them to a lesser competition why not invest the money necessary to improve them. When Dublin Hurling was routinely cannon fodder for the Wexford's, Kilkenny's through the 90s they didn't turn around and say sorry lads you're not good enough so we'll get a B championship for you to play in, instead they invested millions of euro into hurling coaching in Dublin.

Hawkeye2 (Wicklow) - Posts: 121 - 05/06/2017 14:21:14    1995028

Link

Replying To browncows:  "Whammo86 (Antrim)-good post and I would add that maybe we could have the 16 bottom teams in the league going into a competition where 4 of them get into the last 16 of the championship, or something similar to give the weaker counties more championship summer matches."
Yep I wouldn't be against something like that.

I'd be in favour of the qualifiers being removed, I think they've failed.

I'd have the league used to determine the quarte finals and I'd have league and provincial championship played parallel in the 14 weeks from March to June bank holiday.

I'd have division 1: 2 sections of 8. 3 best teams from league not to win their provincial title qualify for quarterfinals. You'd work down the places in each section from 1st to 2nd to 3rd to 4th until there are 3 or 4 non Provincial champions. If there are 3 you stop, if there are 4 you have a playoff between the 2 teams on that lowest placing. Only 1st place from each group is guaranteed to qualify, 4th place teams have a chance.

Division 2 North and South of 8 teams each.
Regionalised to save on costs for teams and fans and to have more local rivalries. Save time for players too. No more going down the length of the country for a division 4 game.

Division 2 champion after a playoff series qualifies for AI quarterfinal.

4 up 4 down between divisions.

Whammo86 (Antrim) - Posts: 4222 - 05/06/2017 15:14:27    1995059

Link

Jesus i'm after reading some bull here for last few days. When was the last time any of ye refereed a game or set an exam on the playing rules of the GAA. How can ye judge any individual who gives up their time freely to officiate when the only reward they get is a backlash from you lads. I noticed none of ye quoted any rule that the referee misapplied in any of the games they had done. I can only imagine how big a whingers ye are at local club games when yer crying as much as ye are now.

FOX40WHISTLER (Longford) - Posts: 8 - 07/06/2017 11:30:37    1996330

Link