National Forum

B Flynn's comments on A O'Shea

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It seems Bernard's concern & point with this is lost on most posters, yes it's a friendly but this a team, a unit preparing for their goal of winning an All Irl final. Everyone must be focused & together, when one person is outside that & not fully inclusive in all aspects, it leads to disquiet in the camp, internally & externally. There is also the optics of it to the general public. He could have taken full part with his teammates & still signed for the kids afterwards. It's one in all in with any team sport & last years revelation about team selection & sitting with Rochford st the semi final only adds fuel to the fire of speculation. I am with Bernard on this, Rochford & his teammates need to reign him in & say "get on board here or go play the solo run else where". After last years diving v Fermanagh, O Shea who we all viewed as a fine player, lost all respect. I would have expected Aidan to keep his head down this year & really go for it, but sadly it doesn't augur well already.

moc.dna (Galway) - Posts: 1212 - 20/05/2017 00:11:54    1988462

Link

Replying To moc.dna:  "It seems Bernard's concern & point with this is lost on most posters, yes it's a friendly but this a team, a unit preparing for their goal of winning an All Irl final. Everyone must be focused & together, when one person is outside that & not fully inclusive in all aspects, it leads to disquiet in the camp, internally & externally. There is also the optics of it to the general public. He could have taken full part with his teammates & still signed for the kids afterwards. It's one in all in with any team sport & last years revelation about team selection & sitting with Rochford st the semi final only adds fuel to the fire of speculation. I am with Bernard on this, Rochford & his teammates need to reign him in & say "get on board here or go play the solo run else where". After last years diving v Fermanagh, O Shea who we all viewed as a fine player, lost all respect. I would have expected Aidan to keep his head down this year & really go for it, but sadly it doesn't augur well already."
Spot on

seadog54 (Meath) - Posts: 2136 - 20/05/2017 10:24:00    1988495

Link

Yea I agree with mac.dna. what b flynn pointed out is symbolic as much as anything.
For me AOS needs to stop doing commercials and promotions, keep his head down and produce on the big day.

gahfan (Wexford) - Posts: 636 - 20/05/2017 12:50:09    1988523

Link

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=270489

A lot of shrewd observers seem to be voicing opinions similar to Bernard Flynn.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 21/05/2017 14:47:49    1988799

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=270489

A lot of shrewd observers seem to be voicing opinions similar to Bernard Flynn."
I know what you mean and its easy to see why Fergus Connolly would say that. Fom the Holmes/Connelly comments it looks like he defied them by heading off to the US to shoot a TV documentary with NFL scouts. Whether he should have done the documentary or not, going against the wishes of management is a bigger issue.

I just think the Bernard Flynn comments are OTT. I'd say if you polled the posters here who are criticising Flynn's comments they would agree with what Fergus Connolly wrote about him in general.

There is only one to do to silence the critics and thats to climb the steps of the Hogan Stand around 5 pm on the 17th of September.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 21/05/2017 15:15:39    1988806

Link

Mayo seem to be the target of ridicule these days. I would ask if The GAA world wished Mayo didn't exist or dropped out completely.

Is the GAA about participation or winning All Irelands only?

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 21/05/2017 18:14:58    1988892

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Mayo seem to be the target of ridicule these days. I would ask if The GAA world wished Mayo didn't exist or dropped out completely.

Is the GAA about participation or winning All Irelands only?"
Bizarre that someone disliked your comment.

Mayo might not have won an All-Ireland recently but their resilience is highly admirable.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 21/05/2017 19:26:34    1988944

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Mayo seem to be the target of ridicule these days. I would ask if The GAA world wished Mayo didn't exist or dropped out completely.

Yew I think there isn't the same love for mayo with the public that some peddle in the media. U always hear this bs about they being everyone's second team. I don't ever find that to be true and I think people are sick of being told how sorry we should all be for them. Make sense?

Liamwalkinstown (Dublin) - Posts: 8166 - 21/05/2017 19:49:05    1988959

Link

On some occasions in the past, as with the managerial putsches involving Holmes, Connelly and Brian McDonald, the Mayo set-up has unfortunately drawn derision on itself. We have had some difficulties keeping the dirty linen out of public view.

On other occasions, as with the recent AOS controversy, it seems that some will take up any flimsy excuse to sneer at us. Forget about them.

No one likes us, we don't care.

Gleebo (Mayo) - Posts: 2208 - 21/05/2017 20:12:30    1988978

Link

Replying To Onion Breath:  "What a load of nonsense. You make it sound as though Meath are not Flynn's county. Of course they are and always will be regardless of what jersey his kids wear, or where he resides now.

Reality is he is a particularly useless analyst who, like many, has nothing to contribute but an ability to keep talking.

Over the course of 24 hours earlier this year he went on national radio (same channel) and predicted Cork would be promoted from Div 2 before saying they'd finish closer to Div 3 than 1 by the end of the league.

Useless as an analyst but nice footballer in his day without ever being exceptional. A typical Meath footballer in many respects - lucky and overrated."
I'm sure you would have been glad of a few of those lucky and overrated in Carlow over the years.....

Richieq (Meath) - Posts: 3734 - 21/05/2017 20:24:21    1988989

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Yew I think there isn't the same love for mayo with the public that some peddle in the media. U always hear this bs about they being everyone's second team. I don't ever find that to be true and I think people are sick of being told how sorry we should all be for them. Make sense?"
Never felt we were many peoples second team apart from the odd exile with Mayo connections. Most Connacht counties would even shout for the Dubs before us. As for the media peddling bulls**t, is that not what the media do in general, even esteemed ex Dublin players. As for sympathy, that and three euro will get me a cup of coffee down at my local Spar!

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1113 - 21/05/2017 23:30:20    1989078

Link

Replying To gahfan:  "Yea I agree with mac.dna. what b flynn pointed out is symbolic as much as anything.
For me AOS needs to stop doing commercials and promotions, keep his head down and produce on the big day."
Should we go back to the old days where no player was allowed to make any money from promotions?

Superglue (Kerry) - Posts: 1283 - 22/05/2017 09:21:04    1989145

Link

Replying To Liamwalkinstown:  "Yew I think there isn't the same love for mayo with the public that some peddle in the media. U always hear this bs about they being everyone's second team. I don't ever find that to be true and I think people are sick of being told how sorry we should all be for them. Make sense?"
Don't want and don't look for sympathy. The petty jibes and lack of respect towards a proud county is getting tiring though.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 22/05/2017 09:47:11    1989158

Link

Ironic that O'Sé and Flynn are critical of Aidan building a profile and getting more media exposure while they're aiding and abetting him for free.

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7337 - 22/05/2017 10:02:06    1989171

Link

A 'nothing to see here' story. A challenge game. Its the norm that kids surround players and get autographs/photos etc in such games. Don't know the teams on the day but I would guess AOS was the most recognisable player who the kids went over to. Nothing wrong with what he did. Am sure he knows how to warm up/warm down and unless Mayo management say otherwise, nothing wrong with doing what he did. Story is just insinuation.

poguemahone (Dublin) - Posts: 365 - 22/05/2017 10:43:00    1989203

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "Don't want and don't look for sympathy. The petty jibes and lack of respect towards a proud county is getting tiring though."
Same here yew we don't want to be anyone's lovable losers or second team I grow tired of the media pushing the will it be their year narrative which everyone else uses as a stick to bate the Mayo people with.

Spoddgy (Mayo) - Posts: 660 - 22/05/2017 12:25:21    1989288

Link

Personally i don't subscribe to Bernard Flynn's opinions on Aidan O'Shea as i don't know enough the latter's conduct in training etc with the Mayo team to be able to comment.

To onion breath, who commented that Bernard Flynn was 'lucky and ordinary', that's one of the most ridiculous statement's i ever heard. He was as good a corner forward as i've seen. Pure class. A county doesn't win 4 All-Irelands over the last 30 years through luck either! That's a really disparaging statement to a county that has produced so many excellent footballers. They've had a few overly physical players but what county doesn't, and what county wouldn't want them.

Laois76 (Laois) - Posts: 1270 - 22/05/2017 13:07:13    1989321

Link

Bernard got a bit carried away. Using the words "incredible (twice), "extraordinary" to describe a trivial non-story is frankly incredible and extraordinary.

brownstownlad (Meath) - Posts: 88 - 22/05/2017 16:28:42    1989457

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Ironic that O'Sé and Flynn are critical of Aidan building a profile and getting more media exposure while they're aiding and abetting him for free."
That could be their alterior motive writing/ commenting about him.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 22/05/2017 16:34:06    1989464

Link

Replying To Laois76:  "Personally i don't subscribe to Bernard Flynn's opinions on Aidan O'Shea as i don't know enough the latter's conduct in training etc with the Mayo team to be able to comment.

To onion breath, who commented that Bernard Flynn was 'lucky and ordinary', that's one of the most ridiculous statement's i ever heard. He was as good a corner forward as i've seen. Pure class. A county doesn't win 4 All-Irelands over the last 30 years through luck either! That's a really disparaging statement to a county that has produced so many excellent footballers. They've had a few overly physical players but what county doesn't, and what county wouldn't want them."
tell ya what could do with a few physical players now! :)

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 22/05/2017 16:58:36    1989474

Link