National Forum

All Ireland Football Qualifiers

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To HighKings:  "Our only hope is to wear the same colour jersey as Donegal and hopefully confuse them! ;)"
I'm just thinking, didn't we have to play in Ulster colours and Meath in Leinster colours our two championship meetings (1990 And 2002). Can't see us having to do that again on Saturday though.

HandballRef (Donegal) - Posts: 520 - 03/07/2017 13:58:45    2009630

Link

Replying To HandballRef:  "I'm just thinking, didn't we have to play in Ulster colours and Meath in Leinster colours our two championship meetings (1990 And 2002). Can't see us having to do that again on Saturday though."
I can't recall the 1990 match but in 2002 Meath wore an all green strip and Donegal wore a yellow jersey with black shorts. Adrian Sweeney terrorised us that day.

HighKings (Meath) - Posts: 271 - 03/07/2017 14:51:51    2009674

Link

Donegal are at a really low ebb at the moment.

The problem within the squad at present in my opinion is unfortunately with the management and particularly Rory Gallagher. He is at best a No.2 or assistant at inter county level, as proven when Jim was there. He is all right to bounce ideas off, but not at coming up with an alternative plan B or C.
He has lost the dressing room, looking at the displays against Tyrone and especially against Longford.

The verbals he was giving the players (Frank, Eoin Mc Hugh, Murph) and Maxi along the sideline on Saturday evening was embarrassing to say the least. When a manager is reduced to that, he has not been doing his job over the winter or in training. You would not see Jim Gavin or Eamon Fitzmaurice at it!

I wanted us to be drawn against Mayo this morning, as it would probably have encouraged the players to raise their game or given them sort sort of kick. As it is, we will inevitably be going out of the All Ireland Championship 2017 v Meath next weekend or against Roscommon/Cork the following weekend, as the appetite and hunger are just not there.

I do not understand how players and management can sacrifice so much of their time and personal lives over the winter and spring months, to just halfheartedly give up in the heat of the battle in the summer months. The pride i had in my fellow county men is slowly weaning away and it is now time to replace the current management team.

When Jim took over the hotseat in Donegal in 2010 we were ranked unofficially at No.19 in the country. If the clubs and county board are not careful, Rory Gallagher will return us very close to that ranking and 2012 would seem like a lifetime away :'(:'(

green and gold (Donegal) - Posts: 105 - 03/07/2017 15:28:23    2009712

Link

Most of my original message still stands this evening, even though it was written nearly a month ago.
Rory, thanks but no thanks. You've done your damage, now be gone and let us get back to rebuilding, although I do blame the county board for handing him a 3 year contract all the same

green and gold (Donegal) - Posts: 105 - 23/07/2017 00:04:05    2021358

Link

Its a long way back now for Donegal, its a shame really. I fear a spell in the doldrums is looming. But they have footballers, they need someone special to bring them on. And not JMcG, a different approach, too predictable now, their young players are skillful, I think its an attractive position for an aspiring manager.
Who do you reckon folks?

realdub (Dublin) - Posts: 8586 - 23/07/2017 02:39:37    2021408

Link