National Forum

Cork vs Tipp (Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To tiobraid:  "Surprised and a bit disgusted to read Brendan Cummins comments regarding Carlow and Tipp only having a panel of 18 players. Similar to Eoin Larkins view on KK earlier in the year I think these lads should show a bit more respect rather than trying to stay in the limelight."
* regarding Carlow, and also about Tipp having only 18 players!

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 24/05/2017 12:35:41    1990215

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Link?"
http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/hurling/i-said-wed-as-much-chance-of-winning-an-allireland-as-carlow-cummins-calls-for-tipp-repeat-of-2010-meeting-35743950.html

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 24/05/2017 13:48:09    1990254

Link

Cummins is now saying to drop Bubbles and Gleeson.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 24/05/2017 17:53:47    1990368

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Are we playing hurling or WWF??? The hurling on Sunday was sublime with neutrals enthralled by the pace and skills on show.....games like that are what encourage lads to start hurling not the physical exchanges which are a secondary part of our great game"
Nailed.

dead_as_dodos (Carlow) - Posts: 459 - 24/05/2017 20:13:47    1990410

Link

Replying To PaudieSull1:  "Are we playing hurling or WWF??? The hurling on Sunday was sublime with neutrals enthralled by the pace and skills on show.....games like that are what encourage lads to start hurling not the physical exchanges which are a secondary part of our great game"
No, more like golf I'd say. Yeah the hurling was sublime in terms of scores and individual skills but the Cork players got SO much room to swing and play the perfect shot that it reminded me of golfers on the tee. In the real world of hurling, you don't get that much time and space and I think that will be very evident in their next game.

PoolSturgeon (Galway) - Posts: 1902 - 24/05/2017 22:48:59    1990456

Link

Replying To PoolSturgeon:  "No, more like golf I'd say. Yeah the hurling was sublime in terms of scores and individual skills but the Cork players got SO much room to swing and play the perfect shot that it reminded me of golfers on the tee. In the real world of hurling, you don't get that much time and space and I think that will be very evident in their next game."
If you go to club hurling matches in galway the last few years it's as about as physical as a game of U12 Community games tiddly winks. From one extreme to the other since the Johnny Maher incident

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 25/05/2017 15:42:00    1990704

Link

After watching the game again I'm finding it very hard to see where it was one of the great games. It was just so open and loose.
I've come to the conclusion about Tipp That it's one of the below.
1. They are finished, the spine of the team have being on the road since 2009 and all the big battles against KK have took its toll mentally and physically on them or
2. Mick Ryan is playing a very dangerous game and is trying to hold them as they will peak later on in Aug/Sept and are now only starting the heavy training.

Either one of the above has to explain why Tipp looked so heavy legged since the week of the Wexford game. Tipp never put a finger on Cork last Sunday.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 25/05/2017 20:27:44    1990810

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "After watching the game again I'm finding it very hard to see where it was one of the great games. It was just so open and loose.
1. They are finished, the spine of the team have being on the road since 2009 and all the big battles against KK have took its toll mentally and physically on them or
2. Mick Ryan is playing a very dangerous game and is trying to hold them as they will peak later on in Aug/Sept and are now only starting the heavy training.

Either one of the above has to explain why Tipp looked so heavy legged since the week of the Wexford game. Tipp never put a finger on Cork last Sunday."
The media love to paint that picture of great hurling games. It was a good spectacle for all bar Tipp supporters though.
It's a bit early to say a youngish team are finished. THe hunger is missing this year for some reason. Not mking excuses but they've played a lot of games already and from what I hear the Club cship is gone to be postponed until Tipp are gone, which is a load of bull tbh

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 26/05/2017 13:24:52    1990999

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "The media love to paint that picture of great hurling games. It was a good spectacle for all bar Tipp supporters though.
It's a bit early to say a youngish team are finished. THe hunger is missing this year for some reason. Not mking excuses but they've played a lot of games already and from what I hear the Club cship is gone to be postponed until Tipp are gone, which is a load of bull tbh"
I doubt the hunger is gone. Tipp were spoken off as almost unbeatable after the first 5 or 6 games of the year. The panel was too good we heard. Their subs would just walk on all other teams. Then they lost two games and now they are too old, have no hunger or discipline. All analysis is reactionary.

Tipperary are the current AI champions. They are still in the race for this year's All-Ireland. They are still one of the best teams. They may win the All - Ireland this year. They may not as there are afew other good teams as well.

Tipp, Galway and KK are still well ahead of the chasing pack in my opinion.

Cork, Clare, Waterford, Wexford, Limerick and Dublin could potentially beat one of those three but are unlikely to be consistent enough to beat 2 or all 3 in one year.

bennybunny (Cork) - Posts: 3917 - 26/05/2017 14:52:16    1991031

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "After watching the game again I'm finding it very hard to see where it was one of the great games. It was just so open and loose.

Either one of the above has to explain why Tipp looked so heavy legged since the week of the Wexford game. Tipp never put a finger on Cork last Sunday."
Very interesting post therealtmo. I never bought into the hype surrounding Tipp in the league and I don't think other Tipp posters here did either. Other posters saying Tipp were invincible and comparing them to the Dublin footballers was pure bull.

I would like to think it's the latter. I think the likes of Brendan Maher and Noel McGrath are Hurling well at the min. Padraic Maher is doing enough, being captain of Tipp was always a heavy burden to carry, look how good Shane McGrath was when he relinquished it.

The only one of the veterans I would be concerned about is Cahill. He seems to be completely off. Bonner and Callanan will come good once the injuries fully heal. Losing to Cork might be a blessing cos Seamie might get a chance to let his thumb probably heal. If we were playing Waterford he would be playing through the pain again.

Once we get over the 1st round of the qualifiers we will be fine. Fingers crossed it will be one of he weaker teams.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 26/05/2017 15:52:35    1991066

Link

Replying To ZUL10:  "Get your facts right midleton. The robbery, both of them, took place in 1977 when Ray Cummins should have won an oscar. 1978 was the low scoring one."
Well spotted. I remember that scorching day well. Clare lacked a good full back and were otherwise a fine team. Fr Harry Bohan deserves a lot of credit as well as so many of his players. It could be said they kept Clare in the fore front of hurling.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 4317 - 26/05/2017 21:32:49    1991129

Link

Replying To Rockies:  "I agree....Munster round robin tournament will be death knell of GAA.
Keep the traditional Munster Championship."
Yes, only bring back the old straight knock out system. The back door was only ever brought in to ensure the bigger counties would win more.

Oldtourman (Limerick) - Posts: 4317 - 26/05/2017 21:39:49    1991130

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Yes, only bring back the old straight knock out system. The back door was only ever brought in to ensure the bigger counties would win more."
Theres no going back to straight knockout unless as a standalone competition. The round robin will bring back an element of knockout in munster. Certain games will be win at all costs. Im optimistic.

Poor old Jim Power in '77, after he went off it was over for Clare.

ZUL10 (Clare) - Posts: 693 - 26/05/2017 22:13:17    1991137

Link

Replying To Oldtourman:  "Yes, only bring back the old straight knock out system. The back door was only ever brought in to ensure the bigger counties would win more."
I hear what you are saying overall. I'm talking about the Munster championship for now. Under the prosposed changes we'd still have three games to play and still be in with a chance of playing in the Munster final.

You are absolutely right about the back door in general. Take 2004 and 2013. Under the old format Waterford, Wexford ,Galway or Ulster champions would have been AI winners in 2004 and swap Waterford and Wexford with Limerick and Dublin in 2013 for the four semi-finalists that year.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 26/05/2017 22:18:58    1991138

Link