National Forum

Cork vs Tipp (Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To therealtmo:  "Cork will have to come up with a complete different game plan for Waterford. The middle will be so packed the next day they won't be able to get the free puck outs they got yesterday. looking forward to the semi finals already Limerick and Clare should be a great game also"
Remember the league game this year in Walsh Park? Cork crowded out midfield and beat Waterford handily. I thought that was their best game this year.
I think Cork can grow in confidence...some tightening up and more man marking in half back line, and I can see real progress with this team.
Very good depth in the bench. ...Lorcan McLoughlin, Luke Farrell and Michael Cahalane.
I see Galway coming out of Leinster.....In fact will be hard to beat this year.
The Qualifiers will be a minefield.

Rockies (Cork) - Posts: 947 - 22/05/2017 14:09:44    1989369

Link

Replying To Rockies:  "Remember the league game this year in Walsh Park? Cork crowded out midfield and beat Waterford handily. I thought that was their best game this year.
I think Cork can grow in confidence...some tightening up and more man marking in half back line, and I can see real progress with this team.
Very good depth in the bench. ...Lorcan McLoughlin, Luke Farrell and Michael Cahalane.
I see Galway coming out of Leinster.....In fact will be hard to beat this year.
The Qualifiers will be a minefield."
Waterford are waiting for this semi. If Tipp won yesterday I don't think they would of beaten Waterford to be honest. I think Cork will need a new game plan to beat them. It's hard going now for Cork, beat Tipp only to play Waterford, if they win that it's Limerick or Clare it's some hard route.

therealtmo (Tipperary) - Posts: 1292 - 22/05/2017 15:30:36    1989426

Link

Replying To Fairplayalways:  "a brilliant game of hurling no doubt but the scoring now (of points anyway) is gone robotic almost...one score goes over a quick puck out down the wing a bit of a run and a handpass and another score..god be with the days when 3-14 to 2-13 was deemed to be a cracker of a match..which they were...the scoring I think is ridiculous now with loosing scores capable of winning any match (and winning it well) in times gone by..."
Totally agree. The ball needs to be 30% heavier. People will eventually cotton on to this. 2 pucks for a score is surely 1 puck too few. No points should physically be able to be scored from your own half. It's a modern phenomenon and that's progress but the equipment i.e the ball needs changing.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 22/05/2017 16:11:51    1989446

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "Waterford are waiting for this semi. If Tipp won yesterday I don't think they would of beaten Waterford to be honest. I think Cork will need a new game plan to beat them. It's hard going now for Cork, beat Tipp only to play Waterford, if they win that it's Limerick or Clare it's some hard route."
Yes totally different day against Waterford but then how good are Waterford. That Cork performance yesterday would beat anyone.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 22/05/2017 16:15:00    1989448

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "Waterford are waiting for this semi. If Tipp won yesterday I don't think they would of beaten Waterford to be honest. I think Cork will need a new game plan to beat them. It's hard going now for Cork, beat Tipp only to play Waterford, if they win that it's Limerick or Clare it's some hard route."
Same as 1966. Cork had 3 games in Munster back then.
1954-1966 12 years wait for Liam McCarthy.
2005-2017....same gap.
Place your bets now

Rockies (Cork) - Posts: 947 - 22/05/2017 16:15:31    1989449

Link

1966...with essentially an under 21 team...Cork beat Clare after replay in first round (3-8/3-8 then 5-11 to 1-7)
Cork beat Limerick in semi final (2-6 to 1-7)...limerick had beaten Tipp
Cork beat Waterford in final (4-9 to 2-9)
Cork were lucky in first round against Clare...21 yard free by Justin McCarthy tied up game

Rockies (Cork) - Posts: 947 - 22/05/2017 16:21:18    1989453

Link

Replying To Fairplayalways:  "a brilliant game of hurling no doubt but the scoring now (of points anyway) is gone robotic almost...one score goes over a quick puck out down the wing a bit of a run and a handpass and another score..god be with the days when 3-14 to 2-13 was deemed to be a cracker of a match..which they were...the scoring I think is ridiculous now with loosing scores capable of winning any match (and winning it well) in times gone by..."
A strange complaint that there's too many scores! I remember A Munster final which which finished Cork 011; Clare 0-9. On the same day the takings were robbed by armed raiders (and Clare claimed they were robbed, as well!) I don't yearn for those days at all. Thank God we have better marksmen now.

Midleton (Cork) - Posts: 643 - 22/05/2017 19:17:20    1989540

Link

Remember '66 well was at all the games.
Cork were very poor in first game against Clare, Cork crowd had just endured 11 barren years and it looked like it was going to be 12, with a first round exit.
The Guys I travelled with started heading for exit with a few minutes to go. They were not alone, plenty of red & white were gone. I turned back to see Cork awarded last minute free.My memory is that it was at least 30 yards if not more.
Justin had to go for goal as we were 3pts down with time almost up. It wasn't his best ever strike, Clare lad got his stick to it but it dropped down over the line & the rest is History.

corkcelt (Cork) - Posts: 4388 - 22/05/2017 20:02:26    1989557

Link

Replying To Midleton:  "A strange complaint that there's too many scores! I remember A Munster final which which finished Cork 011; Clare 0-9. On the same day the takings were robbed by armed raiders (and Clare claimed they were robbed, as well!) I don't yearn for those days at all. Thank God we have better marksmen now."
Get your facts right midleton. The robbery, both of them, took place in 1977 when Ray Cummins should have won an oscar. 1978 was the low scoring one.

ZUL10 (Clare) - Posts: 693 - 22/05/2017 20:39:40    1989571

Link

The writing was on the wall after the league final when only poor shooting stopped Galway beating Tipp by 20+ points.No way should a team lose a National Final by such a margin.There was no intensity to yesterdays game, no physicality for want of a better word.Don't get me wrong it was very entertaining and some of the point taking was out of this world but there was no 'hitting' in it.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 22/05/2017 20:54:01    1989578

Link

Replying To Condorman:  "The writing was on the wall after the league final when only poor shooting stopped Galway beating Tipp by 20+ points.No way should a team lose a National Final by such a margin.There was no intensity to yesterdays game, no physicality for want of a better word.Don't get me wrong it was very entertaining and some of the point taking was out of this world but there was no 'hitting' in it."
The GAA hierarchy have being pursuing a 'sanitisation' policy for years in Hurling. Shoulders are a once in blue moon occurrence. I feel there should be way more physical challenges in Hurling and dare I say it the third man tackle should be brought back.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 22/05/2017 21:32:03    1989596

Link

Fantastic game yesterday. Was disappointed with our inability to vary the puck outs a bit more. Just bombing them down on the 20m line where Cork outnumbered us didn't work. Nash was excellent, both his saves and distribution.

roundball (Tipperary) - Posts: 2514 - 22/05/2017 22:47:16    1989628

Link

Seemed to be reasonably physical from what I saw on the highlights last night. Serious pace to the game...much harder to hit a fast-moving target than a slow one! Also, the ref seemed to 'let the game to flow'.

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 22/05/2017 22:47:43    1989629

Link

Replying To Condorman:  "The writing was on the wall after the league final when only poor shooting stopped Galway beating Tipp by 20+ points.No way should a team lose a National Final by such a margin.There was no intensity to yesterdays game, no physicality for want of a better word.Don't get me wrong it was very entertaining and some of the point taking was out of this world but there was no 'hitting' in it."
Are we playing hurling or WWF??? The hurling on Sunday was sublime with neutrals enthralled by the pace and skills on show.....games like that are what encourage lads to start hurling not the physical exchanges which are a secondary part of our great game

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 738 - 23/05/2017 12:28:31    1989772

Link

Replying To bricktop:  "First things first, Great game in Tom Semples field yesterday, loads of great scores and individual displays by the Cork lads in particular. There's quite a bit being made out about Tipp's lack of hunger and there may be a bit of truth in that, but Cork were very cute. They played a very expansive, open game avoiding the physical aspect when possible (but not shirking it when it arose) and they moved the bigger, slower Tipp defence around well and created a lot of space for the likes of Lehane, Harnedy, Cadogan and Horgan to work in, very little aimless high ball either, drilled passes into the hands of their teams mates where possible. Well done Cork.

BUT,
Tipp were poor by their own standards and still failed to bury three good goal chances and were in the game right to the end. Sort out the hunger/work rate and my money will be on Tipp if they meet later on in the year.

BUT,
Waterford won't be as open the next day out and will deny Cork forwards such latitude and the physical aspect won't be avoided as easy as yesterday. Waterford won't fear Cork and will be glad to see the back of Tipp who they struggle with. The Deise will fancy Munster as a real opportunity for silverware and will go out all guns blazing."
Are you related to Ger Canning by any chance? Finally found another person who uses the word "latitude" when talking about hurling!

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 23/05/2017 16:13:48    1989870

Link

Replying To keeper7:  "Seemed to be reasonably physical from what I saw on the highlights last night. Serious pace to the game...much harder to hit a fast-moving target than a slow one! Also, the ref seemed to 'let the game to flow'."
I suggest you watch the 09 final between KK &Tipp again.
Then try telling me last Sundays game was physical.

Condorman (Dublin) - Posts: 983 - 23/05/2017 18:39:33    1989948

Link

I was a neutral at this game.
It was my first Munster hurling match I was ever at in Semple stadium.
Christ it was some match?
Are they normally that good?
Great stuff altogether.
Dare I use the cliche 'Great advertisement for hurling'

Plus it was not a dirty game, I thought one or other of the teams might go over the edge.

Fair play to both teams they deserve all the praise they get.

gormdubhgorm (Dublin) - Posts: 990 - 23/05/2017 18:53:47    1989955

Link

Replying To Condorman:  "I suggest you watch the 09 final between KK &Tipp again.
Then try telling me last Sundays game was physical."
That's the barometer for physicality, yeah?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 24/05/2017 02:38:31    1990072

Link

Surprised and a bit disgusted to read Brendan Cummins comments regarding Carlow and Tipp only having a panel of 18 players. Similar to Eoin Larkins view on KK earlier in the year I think these lads should show a bit more respect rather than trying to stay in the limelight.

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 24/05/2017 10:05:54    1990129

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "Surprised and a bit disgusted to read Brendan Cummins comments regarding Carlow and Tipp only having a panel of 18 players. Similar to Eoin Larkins view on KK earlier in the year I think these lads should show a bit more respect rather than trying to stay in the limelight."
Link?

keeper7 (Longford) - Posts: 4088 - 24/05/2017 12:34:02    1990212

Link