National Forum

Cork vs Tipp (Hurling)

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Yep Wild Pundit, I live in Tipp and I heard from a good source that Bubbles & the Manager are at loggerheads & there was a question about his place on the team. Didn't hear he was definitely dropped but there seems to be some substance in rumours of problems.

corkcelt (Cork) - Posts: 4388 - 16/05/2017 19:59:40    1987265

Link

Replying To therealtmo:  "From what I'm hearing James Barry is the only one fit and ready for Sunday all the rest of inside back line are carrying injuries. They over did it in training from the week before Wexford game and with club games on top of that this is where all injuries are coming from. I think our best chance this year is the back door. I feel Galway, KK, Waterford and Clare will in be the Munster and Lenister finals so the back door could give Tipp an easy enough run to quarter finals."
I'm surprised Ryan would get the training mix so wrong. They looked very flat against Wexford before the goals arrived in the last 15.

As long as we make it to August, I don't mind the route we take.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 16/05/2017 20:01:33    1987266

Link

Replying To Cornerback1977:  "I think the old saying "Cork are very quiet" stood up on the past. At the moment though Cork are very quiet for different reasons.
The reason Cork are so quiet is that there are very little pundits/Cork public tuned in to it as the expectation is so low. After last year Cork are coming from a very low base and the result of events & results in the last decade is that Cork Hurling/GAA have lost the interest of the general public. I can thankfully at last sew a few positive seeds being sown underage again.
Based on the game last year Cork were so poor that Tipp could afford to lose 3-4 starters and still win. The head says when you look at it on paper Tipp are by some way the better Team and should still have enough to win on Sunday even if not at full tilt. I fear them getting 3 or 4 goals. My reaction to the League Final while watching it was "oh no" as we were going to get the backlash.
However in Cork-Tipp games every 10 years or so there is 1 result that goes against the grain (Tipp 07, Cork 2010) especially in the non-knockout games so going in hope more than anything that Cork might have a very outside chance. That said I would be delighted if Cork left all their recent past and flat performances behind them and tore in to Tipp on Sunday playing the Cork traditional way for 70 minutes and if that is not good enough try to improve further again the next day. It would be more realistic & serve them better long term than a fluke result that makes them look better than they really are."
We have way too much respect for Cork to go in cocky. Last year aside Cork always bring their A game to a match with Tipp.

Bringing Gary Keegan on board was a very wise move.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 16/05/2017 20:04:44    1987267

Link

Replying To corkcelt:  "Yep Wild Pundit, I live in Tipp and I heard from a good source that Bubbles & the Manager are at loggerheads & there was a question about his place on the team. Didn't hear he was definitely dropped but there seems to be some substance in rumours of problems."
Wonder is Bubbles upset with Ryan and his treatment of Bergin!! Never a dull moment in Tipp GAA circles!!

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 16/05/2017 20:05:54    1987268

Link

Replying To WildPundit:  "You hear mad stuff the week of a match. Apparently Bubbles has been dropped for disciplinary reason. Doesn't surprise me if true!!"
That wouldn't surprise me either it's a shame cos he is such a talented player.

Someone put up a six minute review of the 2016 season on YouTube and Bubble had more moments of style on the highlights reel than any other hurler.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 16/05/2017 20:07:15    1987269

Link

Replying To Killarney.87:  "That wouldn't surprise me either it's a shame cos he is such a talented player.

Someone put up a six minute review of the 2016 season on YouTube and Bubble had more moments of style on the highlights reel than any other hurler."
When his focused and not acting the maggot his unmarkable. Wasted talent he can do so much more if he wasn't so cocky.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 16/05/2017 20:18:56    1987275

Link

Not surprised if this is true, was disgusted at his interview after the final, if you watch it was totally contrived and not a faux pas at all. He let himself down there. Always get the idea he is all about him first team second? I believe if he was jettisoned that Tipp still are favourites to win the all Ireland top manager and team to do the job.

grellans89 (Galway) - Posts: 257 - 16/05/2017 23:07:43    1987339

Link

Replying To grellans89:  "Not surprised if this is true, was disgusted at his interview after the final, if you watch it was totally contrived and not a faux pas at all. He let himself down there. Always get the idea he is all about him first team second? I believe if he was jettisoned that Tipp still are favourites to win the all Ireland top manager and team to do the job."
Not far off the truth!!

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 16/05/2017 23:44:16    1987359

Link

I can see Cork winning this. Tipp are due a loss in Munster and Cork are due a win! Tipp to come through back door and set up a semi final with either Galway or Kilkenny!

HurlingSnob (Dublin) - Posts: 220 - 17/05/2017 03:56:21    1987390

Link

Ryan won't take any prisoners and rightly so. He let us down badly against Limerick last year, thankfully the rest of the team and subs bailed him out.

It's amazing how quickly things can change, we were coasting through the early group stages of the league.

At least we are not short of leaders though. Hopefully we'll get the right result on Sunday, I wouldn't be too bothered about the performance as long as we win.

We are definitely there for the taking on Sunday and Cork will gladly take advantage of any weakness shown.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 17/05/2017 05:59:54    1987395

Link

The Tipp fans on here would want to have a word with themselves, we should win by 5-6 on Sunday end of story, there are a few injuries and yes there is a bit of tension in the squad but we are the Munster and AI champions with some of the best players in the game with a very focused management against a team who are improving but not at that level yet.
Far far too much being read into the league final.

PremierGold (Tipperary) - Posts: 121 - 17/05/2017 10:39:16    1987423

Link

Replying To PremierGold:  "The Tipp fans on here would want to have a word with themselves, we should win by 5-6 on Sunday end of story, there are a few injuries and yes there is a bit of tension in the squad but we are the Munster and AI champions with some of the best players in the game with a very focused management against a team who are improving but not at that level yet.
Far far too much being read into the league final."
Absolutely. I wish we had your problems in Limerick!

skillet (Limerick) - Posts: 1062 - 17/05/2017 11:42:52    1987451

Link

Replying To PremierGold:  "The Tipp fans on here would want to have a word with themselves, we should win by 5-6 on Sunday end of story, there are a few injuries and yes there is a bit of tension in the squad but we are the Munster and AI champions with some of the best players in the game with a very focused management against a team who are improving but not at that level yet.
We should win but this is Tipperary afterall!! We don't defend All Ireland titles that well!! Plus have we the bottle to do get out of a scrap with Cork if it boils down to that?
Some of us have seen a lot over the last 25-30 years to suggest we are rightly not putting all our eggs in one basket yet with the game on Sunday.
Any Tipp hurling person who believes we will win handy on Sunday is away with the birds.
Cork have tore up the script in 1990 1992 & 2010. And you can count on the others Limerick Clare and Waterford who were written off and beat Tipp hands down in a game we were meant to win easy. It's a new Year and a new Tipperary attitude would be nice!! Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

WildPundit (Tipperary) - Posts: 1709 - 17/05/2017 13:06:32    1987493

Link

Replying To WildPundit:  "We should win but this is Tipperary afterall!! We don't defend All Ireland titles that well!! Plus have we the bottle to do get out of a scrap with Cork if it boils down to that?
Some of us have seen a lot over the last 25-30 years to suggest we are rightly not putting all our eggs in one basket yet with the game on Sunday.
Any Tipp hurling person who believes we will win handy on Sunday is away with the birds.
Cork have tore up the script in 1990 1992 & 2010. And you can count on the others Limerick Clare and Waterford who were written off and beat Tipp hands down in a game we were meant to win easy. It's a new Year and a new Tipperary attitude would be nice!! Let's not get ahead of ourselves."
Yeah 1990 was the most disappointing of the lot that you named there. The Tipp arrogance took an axe to our own foot on that occasion.

Cork are our main rival and will do everything to stop us on Sunday. If it was the other way around with cork coming in as champions you'd be quietly confident that we could snare them and that's exactly what half of cork are looking probably thinking ahead of this one.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 17/05/2017 15:00:07    1987560

Link

I am not talking about winning AI's, I feel we have it all to do to repeat that this year and may come up short, but Sunday is not the AI final.
Also we all know of the traditional rivalry with Cork but this Cork team does not have the quality of those teams in the past, (I dont think there will be one Cork player on Sunday with an AI underage medal???...open to correction) that was not the case with the 1990 team backboned by players with AI medals at all levels (Ger Cunningham,Mulcahy,Kevin Hennessey,Jim Cashman,Tony O Sullivan,Ger Fitzgerald etc.).........plus the Tipp manager wont be doing the Cork team-talk this year!!
The same stuff was said last year and Cork were poor.
I expect them to be better this year, and they are getting it together now at underage level so wont be down long, but I will be shocked it Tipp dont win by a few.

PremierGold (Tipperary) - Posts: 121 - 17/05/2017 15:16:01    1987571

Link

Yeah 1990 was the most disappointing of the lot that you named there. The Tipp arrogance took an axe to our own foot on that occasion.

Cork are our main rival and will do everything to stop us on Sunday. If it was the other way around with cork coming in as champions you'd be quietly confident that we could snare them and that's exactly what half of cork are looking probably thinking ahead of this one.
Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts:1550 - 17/05/2017 15:00:07 1987560

Are you joking about 1990. There was no arrogance about it. That Cork side were better than Tipp. Cork beat Tipp in 1990, had Tipp beaten twice in 1991 but left it behind both days and beat Tipp in 1992. That win in 1990 was no fluke nor was it down to Tipp thinking they'd walk all over Cork.

The_Bull (Cork) - Posts: 248 - 17/05/2017 15:24:16    1987582

Link

We can only go with what we have seen and with injuries, suspensions and a clear issue between one of the best players in the country and management then you can't say we will be in for an easy day. If we do lose I'd fear there willbe another fall out in the camp and a second killenaule man will leave the camp. How that would go down considering there is also a selector from the same club who is flanked by the two lads in the half forward line for the club is anyone's guess. I'd bite your hand off for a one point win.

tiobraid (Tipperary) - Posts: 4119 - 17/05/2017 15:27:12    1987584

Link

That second Killenaule man went absent for Killenaule massively in the county semi-final last year...do it on the pitch.
The suspension is Jason Forde, he would not have started anyway...
Michael Cahill is injured but may have lost place anyway.....
Bonnar would be a big loss but has not been ruled out yet...

Cork have a few concerns too I believe, Lehane,Harnedy,Kearney.

PremierGold (Tipperary) - Posts: 121 - 17/05/2017 16:11:27    1987606

Link

Replying To The_Bull:  "Yeah 1990 was the most disappointing of the lot that you named there. The Tipp arrogance took an axe to our own foot on that occasion.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts:1550 - 17/05/2017 15:00:07 1987560

Are you joking about 1990. There was no arrogance about it. That Cork side were better than Tipp. Cork beat Tipp in 1990, had Tipp beaten twice in 1991 but left it behind both days and beat Tipp in 1992. That win in 1990 was no fluke nor was it down to Tipp thinking they'd walk all over Cork."
When I mean arrogance I am referring to 'donkeys don't win derbies' comment by Babs. You can't get more arrogant than that.

We were beaten fair and square by Cork that day and in 1992. I do recall Nicky English having a perfectly good point being flagged wide by the umpires in 1991 down in cork and we winning the replay in Thurles by 4 points.

I am trying to make two points. 1/ we are not good at defending our crown as All-Ireland champions and 2/ Cork are experte at dethroning us.

Because of these two facts I am extremely wary about the game on Sunday.

I picked 1990 over 1992 and 2010 because in1990 that Tipp team was in its prime, they won All-Irelands either side of it. 1992 was a bridge too far for them and Cork had a great team then who blitzed them in Cork. By 1993/1994 that team was in decline, that's why 1990 feels like an opportunity missed, it probably helped motivate the team in 1991. 2010 was a funny season and we ended champions in September which made up for the humiliating defeat in Cork that year.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 17/05/2017 16:21:14    1987613

Link

Replying To tiobraid:  "We can only go with what we have seen and with injuries, suspensions and a clear issue between one of the best players in the country and management then you can't say we will be in for an easy day. If we do lose I'd fear there willbe another fall out in the camp and a second killenaule man will leave the camp. How that would go down considering there is also a selector from the same club who is flanked by the two lads in the half forward line for the club is anyone's guess. I'd bite your hand off for a one point win."
I'm Mickey Harry's autobiography he said that after winning one of the all-Irelands, possibly 2005, the panel was blighted by a plague called 'the important of me'.

I found that really interesting. He said the year after the win some players starting thinking that their individual contribution to success was great than others and thus they were more important to the cause.

There seems to be a whiff of that coming from Killenaule at the minute. Managers and players are accused of churning out cliches when they say it was a 35 man panel effort but it's true though, we need everyone pulling in the one direction to have any chance of winning the All Ireland.

Fanning strikes me as the sort that will do what's right for Tipp first.

Killarney.87 (Tipperary) - Posts: 2513 - 17/05/2017 16:35:59    1987622

Link