National Forum

The Talent Drain

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Great response by the way .but it's my own fault, why am I trying to talk to a cavanman about football related topics.

You haven't a clue kid, you think coz we have 37 allirelands that every thing will be grand.
Life inside your little bubble must be great."
Aye right, it's me that hasn't a clue.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 17/05/2017 11:35:37    1987441

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "Aye right, it's me that hasn't a clue."
Ya you haven't a clue what's going on in Kerry just like I haven't a clue what's going in Cavan.

I live here and see what's going on so I tell ye and for some reason ye think I'm messing or something.

If we don't get some factories and jobs down here in the next few years it'll be lights out for Kerry football, I know that would suit a lot of people on here but there you have it.

You can already see we've lost the likes of Brian Fenton and clan O'sullivan to the dubs because of work reasons, also
The 3 O'Shea's at mayo could you imagine how the balance would have swung the last few years had we those players playing for us instead of our main rivals?

Not to mention tommy Walsh the best young footballer in the country before he went to oz.

As a great Kerry man once said a grain of rice can tip the balance at the top level in football.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 17/05/2017 13:27:22    1987510

Link

You can already see we've lost the likes of Brian Fenton and clan O'sullivan to the dubs because of work reasons, also
The 3 O'Shea's at mayo could you imagine how the balance would have swung the last few years had we those players playing for us instead of our main rivals?

Not to mention tommy Walsh the best young footballer in the country before he went to oz.

As a great Kerry man once said a grain of rice can tip the balance at the top level in football.
KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts:5139 - 17/05/2017 13:27:22

Jaysus things are really bad if Kerry are now losing players that aren't even from Kerry in the first place.

How are yous supposed to compete when yous can't even hold on to players from other counties??!!

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13705 - 17/05/2017 13:54:31    1987521

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya you haven't a clue what's going on in Kerry just like I haven't a clue what's going in Cavan.

I live here and see what's going on so I tell ye and for some reason ye think I'm messing or something.

If we don't get some factories and jobs down here in the next few years it'll be lights out for Kerry football, I know that would suit a lot of people on here but there you have it.

As a great Kerry man once said a grain of rice can tip the balance at the top level in football."
I laughed at that, but then stopped because you are being serious.

Very sad mate, best of luck to Kerry this year.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 17/05/2017 14:19:40    1987537

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "I laughed at that, but then stopped because you are being serious.

Very sad mate, best of luck to Kerry this year."
I am being serious, our rural clubs in Kerry are fading away at an alarming rate most gave to amalgamate to survive.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 17/05/2017 14:51:08    1987553

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I am being serious, our rural clubs in Kerry are fading away at an alarming rate most gave to amalgamate to survive."
You seem to genuinely believe this is unique to Kerry

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 17/05/2017 15:11:16    1987568

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Ya you haven't a clue what's going on in Kerry just like I haven't a clue what's going in Cavan.

As a great Kerry man once said a grain of rice can tip the balance at the top level in football."
So Brian Fentons Dublin born mother has no say in this? If not then Kerry took the O Se's from Sligo.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 17/05/2017 15:20:05    1987578

Link

But Aidan and Seamus O Se were born in Westmeath to Kerry parents. If that is the road you are taking can Mayo claim back the Brogans of Dublin and Michael Murphy or Donegal?

Mayo and Donegal are the only two counties in Ireland with falling populations....both hold their own at Gaelic Football very well.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 17/05/2017 15:40:16    1987592

Link

Did the GAA survive the troubles in the North YES
Did the GAA survive Two world wars , an economic war with Britain YES
Did the GAA survive countless recessions YES
Has the GAA previously encountered mass emigration and survived YES
Has the GAA battled against heart and minds of the countries young YES

So what's new ? I ask ?
Our sport has over a hundred years battled on many fronts every different type of threat to its very existence , as a minority sport in a world context this will always be the case , yes teams will amalgamate and yes players will be lost as has happened many many times , but the sport does survive, has done will do , Will Kerry survive Yes

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 17/05/2017 16:02:25    1987601

Link

Replying To yew_tree:  "You can already see we've lost the likes of Brian Fenton and clan O'sullivan to the dubs because of work reasons, also

But Aidan and Seamus O Se were born in Westmeath to Kerry parents. If that is the road you are taking can Mayo claim back the Brogans of Dublin and Michael Murphy or Donegal?

Mayo and Donegal are the only two counties in Ireland with falling populations....both hold their own at Gaelic Football very well."
Of course not, in Kingdomboys world literally everything revolves around Kerry, nothing exists outside of how it relates to Kerry.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 17/05/2017 16:41:11    1987625

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I am being serious, our rural clubs in Kerry are fading away at an alarming rate most gave to amalgamate to survive."
Is there any number mate, like how many clubs were around in Kerry say in 00 and what its like now.

City's are monsters, i think though the one glimmer of hope is the services sector, by that i mean territory services which is Irelands biggest industry. Surely all these consultancy, IT, crowds can set up in the southeast as opposed to Dublin or surrounding counties.

Not to be insulting to say given the rivalry but aligning to the closest City like Cork and the over flow of industry must be an option. Be terrible to see South Kerry destroyed by industrial estates mind like much of Dublin.

Anyhow there is life in the old dog yet, with a bit of amo in the Bazooka if the league final is anything to go by. :)

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 17/05/2017 18:20:50    1987658

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Is there any number mate, like how many clubs were around in Kerry say in 00 and what its like now.

City's are monsters, i think though the one glimmer of hope is the services sector, by that i mean territory services which is Irelands biggest industry. Surely all these consultancy, IT, crowds can set up in the southeast as opposed to Dublin or surrounding counties.

Not to be insulting to say given the rivalry but aligning to the closest City like Cork and the over flow of industry must be an option. Be terrible to see South Kerry destroyed by industrial estates mind like much of Dublin.

Anyhow there is life in the old dog yet, with a bit of amo in the Bazooka if the league final is anything to go by. :)"
I would say there would have been 63/64 clubs at underage when I was growing up 30 years now there wouldn't be only about 40 clubs I'd say if even that.

Where I grew we used to have a thing called a Parrish league where all the u12 around the parish would set up into teams near our home and play each other and we used to have 6 U12 teams now we have to join up parishes near us so we can make an U12 team which is pretty sad.

The Parrish leagues were great craic as there used to be blue murder.

And ya I get what you mean about try to get some IT jobs down here, we'd take any thing now at this stage.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 17/05/2017 19:42:10    1987686

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Is there any number mate, like how many clubs were around in Kerry say in 00 and what its like now.

Anyhow there is life in the old dog yet, with a bit of amo in the Bazooka if the league final is anything to go by. :)"
I would say there would have been 63/64 clubs at underage when I was growing up 30 years now there wouldn't be only about 40 clubs I'd say if even that.

Where I grew we used to have a thing called a Parrish league where all the u12 around the parish would set up into teams near our home and play each other and we used to have 6 U12 teams now we have to join up parishes near us so we can make an U12 team which is pretty sad.

And ya I get what you mean about try to get some IT jobs down here, we'd take any thing now at this stage.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 17/05/2017 19:42:11    1987687

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I would say there would have been 63/64 clubs at underage when I was growing up 30 years now there wouldn't be only about 40 clubs I'd say if even that.

And ya I get what you mean about try to get some IT jobs down here, we'd take any thing now at this stage."
Clubs haven't disbanded though or anything have they mate, I mean still pretty mate ch able to field strong junior and senior teams in championships.

I'd say would be interesting for Kerry GAA to look at the rural and Urban divide, I mean has the likes of Crokes and Stacls memberships swelled as a result of say second and third sons moving in to the town with no 1 getting the land. Not to be presumptive on agriculture but I'd say that's likely one of the top industry's in South Kerry.

Be worthwhile seeing if the big town clubs membership is on the rise. Seems to me though there a healthy bit of diversity on the current Kerry panel from rural and urban clubs.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 17/05/2017 21:19:33    1987723

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Clubs haven't disbanded though or anything have they mate, I mean still pretty mate ch able to field strong junior and senior teams in championships.

I'd say would be interesting for Kerry GAA to look at the rural and Urban divide, I mean has the likes of Crokes and Stacls memberships swelled as a result of say second and third sons moving in to the town with no 1 getting the land. Not to be presumptive on agriculture but I'd say that's likely one of the top industry's in South Kerry.

Be worthwhile seeing if the big town clubs membership is on the rise. Seems to me though there a healthy bit of diversity on the current Kerry panel from rural and urban clubs."
Valentia nearly folded two years ago as they were having trouble getting 15 together.

knockanure and lyracrumpaune have been absorbed by moyvane and Duagh respectively there are still pitches there but no team, I think clounmaccon have no underage team but have a senior team they kinda act like a Listowel junior team.

It's only a matter of time before the smaller clubs will start amalgamating at adult age. A lot of them struggle when young lads head off to college.

As for the towns like you say maybe the need to develope more teams then they're doing if that's financially possible is another thing. But could be a step in the right direction for sure.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 17/05/2017 22:42:47    1987755

Link

Replying To Breffni39:  "
Replying To yew_tree:  "You can already see we've lost the likes of Brian Fenton and clan O'sullivan to the dubs because of work reasons, also

Mayo and Donegal are the only two counties in Ireland with falling populations....both hold their own at Gaelic Football very well."
Of course not, in Kingdomboys world literally everything revolves around Kerry, nothing exists outside of how it relates to Kerry."
Another great contribution there kid , at this rate you'll be a shoe in for poster of the year ;-)

I don't presume to know what's going on in other counties unlike some on here , but I assume the Donegal Mayo depopulation situation would be similar to our own situation down here in Kerry.

It's in 10/15 years time that this will all come to a head but by then it'll all be too late.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 18/05/2017 00:56:38    1987774

Link

De-population of rural area's is a major issue and many things contribute to it. We joke here in Mayo that they would love to turn the west of Ireland into a giant nature reserve that the city folk could drive to and spend their weekend's in.

Lack of jobs, services closing down and planning restrictions are major issues.

yew_tree (Mayo) - Posts: 11227 - 18/05/2017 09:26:18    1987804

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "
Replying To Breffni39:  "[quote=yew_tree:  "You can already see we've lost the likes of Brian Fenton and clan O'sullivan to the dubs because of work reasons, also

Of course not, in Kingdomboys world literally everything revolves around Kerry, nothing exists outside of how it relates to Kerry."
Another great contribution there kid , at this rate you'll be a shoe in for poster of the year ;-)

I don't presume to know what's going on in other counties unlike some on here , but I assume the Donegal Mayo depopulation situation would be similar to our own situation down here in Kerry.

It's in 10/15 years time that this will all come to a head but by then it'll all be too late."]What about counties that have never had the population of the Kerry, Donegal or Mayo? Where do they fit into your limited worldview? i need to know who I should feel sorry for.

Breffni40 (Cavan) - Posts: 12116 - 18/05/2017 10:14:06    1987830

Link

Some brilliant points in this thread, what is also very telling is development funding per population, if we took Donegal, Mayo and Kerry as representative examples for reasons of: recent relative success to each other, issues with migration, fielding club junior teams, rural location and falling population, the figures seem a bit skewed and massively in favour of Kerry:

County-----Population------Funding

Mayo------130.425-----------113.948k

Kerry------147.554-----------197.600k

Donegal--158.755-----------110.119k

I wonder what the rationale for that is? Kerry are the fourth best funded team in the country, before you take into account the infrastructure grants of millions by the GAA and Munster Council for the center of excellence (other counties of course have got similar grants for projects).

To put in context Kerrys funding is just over 30% beyond their population, interestingly that is around the same percentage as Dublin who get the lions share of funding proportionally to population.

Kerry certainly are a well funded county and are in a far better position of being financially supported by the GAA to be successful then other counties with the same issues and make up. I think both Kindomboy and Breff have made goods points, rural migration i would imagine is an issue, but Kerry are one of the most well funded counties (4th) in the country and there seems no distinguishing factor as to why this is in comparison to similar counties in Mayo or Donegal.

Just to illustrate the disparity some more Galway as a relatively successful duel county get 50k less then Kerry in development funding.

TheUsername (Dublin) - Posts: 4445 - 18/05/2017 10:52:38    1987846

Link

Replying To TheUsername:  "Some brilliant points in this thread, what is also very telling is development funding per population, if we took Donegal, Mayo and Kerry as representative examples for reasons of: recent relative success to each other, issues with migration, fielding club junior teams, rural location and falling population, the figures seem a bit skewed and massively in favour of Kerry:

County-----Population------Funding

Mayo------130.425-----------113.948k

Kerry------147.554-----------197.600k

Donegal--158.755-----------110.119k

I wonder what the rationale for that is? Kerry are the fourth best funded team in the country, before you take into account the infrastructure grants of millions by the GAA and Munster Council for the center of excellence (other counties of course have got similar grants for projects).

To put in context Kerrys funding is just over 30% beyond their population, interestingly that is around the same percentage as Dublin who get the lions share of funding proportionally to population.

Kerry certainly are a well funded county and are in a far better position of being financially supported by the GAA to be successful then other counties with the same issues and make up. I think both Kindomboy and Breff have made goods points, rural migration i would imagine is an issue, but Kerry are one of the most well funded counties (4th) in the country and there seems no distinguishing factor as to why this is in comparison to similar counties in Mayo or Donegal.

Just to illustrate the disparity some more Galway as a relatively successful duel county get 50k less then Kerry in development funding."
A Dub giving out about other counties funding!! Shaky ground there.

Few factors on the rural club decline
1) National East / west divide - This is very real and is going to get worse. No National special strategy or regional developmental strategy of any substance. Not much GAA can do about that though. Any jobs that do trickle down to the county go to the big towns...which leads to

2) People want to live in towns - Cultural change. More people don't want to live in the back of beyond than before. They want to be close services etc (I'm thinking Tralee, castlebar type of thing, not even the bigger regional cities)

3) People are having less kids - Cultural change. The Kerry man above talking about the u12 parish league. All the families probably had 4/5/6 kids. Average now is more like 2 or 3

GAA needs to get a policy on club size. Waste of time having huge town clubs (or counties) if the rest cannot compete. Need more clubs in the towns to provide football for the population and stop any club / county getting too large with too many resources

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 293 - 18/05/2017 11:46:35    1987869

Link