National Forum

Mayo vs Sligo

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

I suppose this game just highlights once again that the reffing decisions always go against the weaker teams. Surely this point must be very clear to the referees' body by now and some effort made to address the problem. The stronger teams will generally come out on top but the so-called weaker teams deserve fair play and the paying supporters deserve to see a consequently more competitive game.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 22/05/2017 12:39:18    1989305

Link

Replying To valley84:  "The two Mayo goals...

First one had about 10 steps. Would a Sligo player get away with that? No

Second one the player was clearly inside the box before the ball was played. Free out? No. Goal awarded.

The referee was giving frees for lads falling to the ground as if they had been shot when they were barely touched, and all day the Mayo players were holding the trailing arm of Sligo players but got away with it
Every time Sligo got a free a Mayo would player walk in front of the player about to take the free (with their hands up as if to say - oh, I don't mean to be here) and yet nothing was done about it all game"
At last a clearly unbiased poster. By the way I agree something should be done about Mayo lads holding Sligo lads arms all day. Too much familiarity for me but then again maybe I'm old fashioned.

Llaw_Gyffes (Mayo) - Posts: 1113 - 22/05/2017 13:03:47    1989319

Link

Replying To neverright:  "I suppose this game just highlights once again that the reffing decisions always go against the weaker teams. Surely this point must be very clear to the referees' body by now and some effort made to address the problem. The stronger teams will generally come out on top but the so-called weaker teams deserve fair play and the paying supporters deserve to see a consequently more competitive game."
I thought Sligo got away with 2 blatant black cards in first half, given as yellows. I agree Loftus looked like he picked it off the ground but as they say these things even themselves out

unclegerry (Mayo) - Posts: 1222 - 22/05/2017 13:15:39    1989324

Link

Replying To valley84:  "The two Mayo goals...

First one had about 10 steps. Would a Sligo player get away with that? No

Second one the player was clearly inside the box before the ball was played. Free out? No. Goal awarded.

The referee was giving frees for lads falling to the ground as if they had been shot when they were barely touched, and all day the Mayo players were holding the trailing arm of Sligo players but got away with it
Every time Sligo got a free a Mayo would player walk in front of the player about to take the free (with their hands up as if to say - oh, I don't mean to be here) and yet nothing was done about it all game"
Debate the 2 goals if you want but the rest of your post is nonsense. I don't remember any diving yesterday or the constant blocking of quick Sligo frees, but feel free to keep making things up. My guess is you saw one incident of each problem you pointed out and chose to say it kept happening throughout. Feel free to point out these lads hitting the ground as if they were shot.

TheFlaker (Mayo) - Posts: 7885 - 22/05/2017 13:29:46    1989340

Link

I would disagree with some statements above. Both teams got some very soft frees. As for the square ball you are not allowed to be in the square before set play i.e a free or 45 or line ball. From open play once the ball is kicked, fisted or flicked into the square a person may enter as soon as the ball has been played i.e you can arrive inside the square before the ball, immediately after it has been played from your team mate. That's the rule, it changed to this in 2012 I believe.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 22/05/2017 13:54:32    1989356

Link

Mayo's two goals could have been chalked off alright but I don't think it's that simple.

The first goal may have been over carried but he was being fouled. Refs tend to give the benefit to the player on the ball in that case and this benefit goes to all teams in my view.

The second could well have been a square ball but it's hard to tell as there was no analysis from the 'experts' on it. Again this amended rule is being ignored totally since its introduction a few years ago and in all likelihood Sligo would have been awarded that goal too.

MesAmis (Dublin) - Posts: 13704 - 22/05/2017 14:17:24    1989377

Link

Replying To MesAmis:  "Mayo's two goals could have been chalked off alright but I don't think it's that simple.

The first goal may have been over carried but he was being fouled. Refs tend to give the benefit to the player on the ball in that case and this benefit goes to all teams in my view.

The second could well have been a square ball but it's hard to tell as there was no analysis from the 'experts' on it. Again this amended rule is being ignored totally since its introduction a few years ago and in all likelihood Sligo would have been awarded that goal too."
Lads

Firstly we would never had won yesterday as it was very evident all we wanted to do was keep the score down. Leave our 2 best players in Murphy and McDonnell off till game nearly over. It is a pity cos Mayo were there but physically we are like kids beside them.

And yes Keelan should have got 1 or 2 blacks in first just like Diarmuid should have too in the second.

As I say we would not have won yesterday (2 inside forwards with gale force breeze - still annoyed)

however both goals illegal not for one foul but for 2.

Goal 1- Paddy Durcan(who was very good yesterday ) bounces the ball twice on his 45(approx) - 2 hops at the start of the move. DOConnor goes from the top of the D to a metre before the 13m = 19m without a hop or solo(was being fouled but the advantage rule does not exist when a foul is committed by the said fouled player in this case DOConnor, it is back to original foul)

Goal 2 - Off the ground by Loftus and O'Connor in the square and just to be pedantic, how can he right fist a ball to his right that distant with a proper underarm action

No evening out there imo but yet again we would have lost anyway but the weaker team always gets done (was it 7 yellow Sligo to 2 Mayo!)

overinthewest (Sligo) - Posts: 119 - 22/05/2017 16:03:40    1989439

Link