National Forum

Derry vs Tyrone

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

It's really gratifying that my decision to go to bed for a couple of hours and miss the game has proven to be the correct one.

Think I'll be taking that option each sunday up until July at least.

uibhfhaili1986 (Offaly) - Posts: 1296 - 28/05/2017 16:44:42    1991484

Link

Replying To TheHermit:  "Was at Tyrone's last League game against Kerry in Killarney, after their 'performance' that day I was saying I would be amazed if Tyrone managed to make any dent in this year's Championship.

Nothing I saw today would change that opinion for me anyway.

I think Donegal will be licking their lips at this fixture."
I've said it many times that Tyrone need to vary their game between running and long balls into a big man with small mobile corner forwards like Lee Brennan and Mark Bradley feeding off him then I believe they will have a chance of going for AI - Brennan comes on today and proves he's up to senior football. Although big Sean had a great game today he's not that big forward who an win the majority of high balls going in. I would personally use him as an impact sub and would have big McNulty in there. Conal Mccann played well in midfield along with Colm and the subs brought on were very good. However the biggest impediment to Tyrone getting an AI is Mickeys insistence on mass defence and running into tackles when they attack - the dogs in the street know what Tyrone are about and the best teams will set up against it - proof will be against Donegal next match!

IrishGael3 (USA) - Posts: 1092 - 28/05/2017 16:55:50    1991486

Link

Tyrone are where they need to be. In a semi having played below par. They will b licking their chops if they read the perception of donegal's chances if this forum is anything to go by.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 28/05/2017 21:06:53    1991617

Link

With both Michael Murphy and Neil Mc Gee getting injured in club actIon today Tyrone will feel it was a good day all round for them.

Tir Conaill Abu (Donegal) - Posts: 1671 - 28/05/2017 23:19:50    1991673

Link

I don't know what people expected from this game with Derry football being in such a poor place. The early stages of the championship always throws up games like this in all provinces.

Tyrone did as much as they needed to do & this run out will have no bearing on the Donegal game.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 29/05/2017 08:06:19    1991702

Link

It wasn't great watching yesterday but Tyrone played within themselves and still won at their leisure. They'll know that a similar intensity against Donegal won't be good enough so I'd expect them to come out all guns blazing in a few weeks time.
Derry got some joy when they ran at Tyrone's defence, which is something I'm sure Rory Gallagher will be keen to exploit given our running game is quite good.
I believe the word is that McGee and Murphy will be fine so there was a big collective sigh of relief around the county when that news filtered through last night.

Lockjaw (Donegal) - Posts: 9133 - 29/05/2017 09:21:32    1991717

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "I don't know what people expected from this game with Derry football being in such a poor place. The early stages of the championship always throws up games like this in all provinces.

Tyrone did as much as they needed to do & this run out will have no bearing on the Donegal game."
absolutely,saw derry play meath in the league and thought derry were awful,meath won by 15 points and only played wll for 20mins in that game. derry are poor and tyrone were always going to beat them without much effort.

ziggy32001 (Meath) - Posts: 8354 - 29/05/2017 09:40:05    1991727

Link

Replying To sam2008:  "All us Tyrone guys are nervous because of three extremely large elephants in the room!

1. Micky Harte and his horrible negative style of football - caused by I imagine...

2. Tyrone have no consistent scoring forwards that will bag you 4-5 points a game at the business end of The Championship

3. Tyrone haven't got a reliable free taker!"
22 points is "negative"? Do you have any opinions of your own that haven't been dictated to you by the Free State media?

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 29/05/2017 10:51:22    1991749

Link

Replying To essmac:  "22 points is "negative"? Do you have any opinions of your own that haven't been dictated to you by the Free State media?"
It's typical of this guy trust me. The most negative poster ever.
Tyrone got the job done yesterday with minimal fuss. Onwards and upwards.

The_Fridge (Tyrone) - Posts: 2088 - 29/05/2017 12:23:50    1991789

Link

Replying To uibhfhaili1986:  "It's really gratifying that my decision to go to bed for a couple of hours and miss the game has proven to be the correct one.

Think I'll be taking that option each sunday up until July at least."
We will look back on this period in GAA history as the "Dark Ages".
I never thought gaelic football would be destroyed from within.
Appalling stuff.

tireoghainabu (Tyrone) - Posts: 274 - 29/05/2017 12:41:29    1991793

Link

I can assure you my views are not dictated by anyone! I have a pair of eyes myself and I don't read the 'press'!

Yesterday we played a Division 3 team.

Derry gave us kickable frees and still we missed crucial kicks. Donegal will give us frees around 45m and based on yesterday's evidence we will miss them!

Why did Mickey Harte not start Mulgrew and Brennan and see if they have what it takes from the start of a Championship game instead of introducing them when the game is over? What sort of management nouse is that going into a tough Donegal game?

Until further evidence presents itself - we still haven't two free-scoring forwards that are need to win crucial games.

Anyone else thinking that discussing my country's shortcomings makes me any less of a supporter should keep their views to themselves!

sam2008 (Tyrone) - Posts: 797 - 29/05/2017 13:37:16    1991813

Link

I think Tyrone played and beat what was in front of them yesterday without showing their full capabilities. In any managements eyes it's a task completed. Derry were poor. Tyrone weren't great either. For both it was their first game of the championship. Tyrone versus Donegal will tell us a lot about the health of football in Ulster.

border Gael (Monaghan) - Posts: 894 - 29/05/2017 14:20:46    1991832

Link

Replying To sam2008:  "I can assure you my views are not dictated by anyone! I have a pair of eyes myself and I don't read the 'press'!

Derry gave us kickable frees and still we missed crucial kicks. Donegal will give us frees around 45m and based on yesterday's evidence we will miss them!

Why did Mickey Harte not start Mulgrew and Brennan and see if they have what it takes from the start of a Championship game instead of introducing them when the game is over? What sort of management nouse is that going into a tough Donegal game?

Until further evidence presents itself - we still haven't two free-scoring forwards that are need to win crucial games.

Anyone else thinking that discussing my country's shortcomings makes me any less of a supporter should keep their views to themselves!"
I think you make some very valid points. This is a good Tyrone side but they do appear to have a couple of issues. The free taking is a problem.

However, they may not have wanted to show their full hand just yet attacking wise. I'm expecting a bit more invention from them when they play Donegal.

HighKings (Meath) - Posts: 271 - 29/05/2017 14:23:18    1991835

Link

I think Tyrone are a lot better than people are giving them credit for, though they still rely heavily on Sean Cavanagh, if we can keep him quite (a lot easier said than done) we have a great chance, he's going to be a big loss to them when he retires,
I think our game is going to be a dogged tactical battle, probably not great to watch from the purists point of view (cue the usual spiel from Pat Spillane) but I suspect it will be an enthralling game that will go down to the wire like the final last year,
it will come down to whoever can take their chances on the day,
Derry need a big rethink to find out what's wrong at county level.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2747 - 29/05/2017 14:52:27    1991845

Link

Hopefully a loss in the backdoor and Barton and back room team get fired. Get a brand new start in the McKenna cup and the League with a new manager and backroom team. Get a manager who the clubs and supporters want from outside of Derry. We need a manager who will pick real talent and the players will enjoy playing with. We need a change and we need it fast if want to succeed.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 808 - 29/05/2017 17:10:51    1991895

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "Hopefully a loss in the backdoor and Barton and back room team get fired. Get a brand new start in the McKenna cup and the League with a new manager and backroom team. Get a manager who the clubs and supporters want from outside of Derry. We need a manager who will pick real talent and the players will enjoy playing with. We need a change and we need it fast if want to succeed."
There is no way Derry are as bad as they are showing so obviously a management thing similar to what is going on in Cork. I am not in the know but I would also be very surprised if there were not some very talented players not lining up for the county.

As for Tyrone they won by double scores in a ground that has previously been a difficult place for any team to play in with 22 scores in total. Not a bad afternoons work in my book that is for sure. Donegal and Tyrone have similar issues in that do they have the necessary players to play on the inside line? I am not sure. Yes Donegal have Paddy McB who can be excellent on his day but often falls short. I think Jamie Brennan has alot of potential especially when he strengthens up more reminds me alot of Kevin Mcmenamin but still a long way to go conditioning wise to get near his level. Niall O'Donnell obvious star of the future but player for the future in maybe 2-3 years as hoping he sticks to U-20's next year.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2781 - 29/05/2017 18:12:43    1991913

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "Hopefully a loss in the backdoor and Barton and back room team get fired. Get a brand new start in the McKenna cup and the League with a new manager and backroom team. Get a manager who the clubs and supporters want from outside of Derry. We need a manager who will pick real talent and the players will enjoy playing with. We need a change and we need it fast if want to succeed."
Yes, Derry has decent players and passion for the game; it's not being harnessed. Barton is a disappointment; a great player, an intelligent pundit but something is not right in the Derry squad. Bring back the days when beating Derry in Ulster was like climbing Mt Everest!

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 29/05/2017 19:01:52    1991922

Link

Replying To sam2008:  "I can assure you my views are not dictated by anyone! I have a pair of eyes myself and I don't read the 'press'!

Anyone else thinking that discussing my country's shortcomings makes me any less of a supporter should keep their views to themselves!"
Well, nobody said anything about you as a supporter! Yes, you're right re frees and you're right about starting Mulgrew and Brennan earlier; though it's progress of a sort; Brennan on 8 or 9 minutes game time has now played more than double his entire last season's campaign(!). I just don't accept we're a 'negative' team. We're just not as good a team as the noughties team. We defend well and try hard to transition into attack any chance we get and we often rack up good scores. 22 points is not the hallmark of a negative team. A really negative team would have sat back and defended a 3 or 4 point lead in the last 1/4. Yesterday, we kept looking for scores until the final whistle. That's not negative. We've often seen even Crossmaglen and Donegal defending small leads, and they had great teams. We so far haven't found / gave game-time to the forwards we need. I'd characterise us as a reasonably positive team who are a bit limited up front - as opposed to being a great team who are choosing to play negatively.

essmac (Tyrone) - Posts: 1141 - 29/05/2017 19:20:32    1991928

Link

why has Niall Morgan stopped taking long-range frees, he used to be fairly accurate. I was impressed with Tyrone yesterday esp the McCanns, Mark Bradley, the cavanaghs

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 29/05/2017 20:44:46    1991951

Link

Replying To tireoghainabu:  "We will look back on this period in GAA history as the "Dark Ages".
I never thought gaelic football would be destroyed from within.
Appalling stuff."
it's not all doom and gloom. I was at a minor match in Breffni Park last night and it was a smashing game of football between Cavan and Monaghan.
Hopefully the football will not be coached out of these lads

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 29/05/2017 20:49:03    1991953

Link