National Forum

Donegal vs Antrim

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Can't see anything but a comfortable Donegal win here. Maybe not as comprehensive as 2014's 13 point win, but in and around 8 to 10 points. Hopefully some of our new younger players stamp their mark on the game.
I think Marty O'Reilly will do really well matched up against Antrim, and could be a shout for Man of the Match.

Texas (Donegal) - Posts: 163 - 15/05/2017 22:54:03    1986974

Link

48 week suspension handed down for Fitzpatrick. Good old CCCC - "If we don't get you the first or second time, by God we will keep going til we get you - unless you are from a higher ranking County in which case, carry on."

http://www.irishnews.com/sport/2017/05/16/news/antrim-to-appeal-as-matthew-fitzpatrick-is-hit-with-48-week-ban-by-gaa-s-central-hearings-committee-1027201/

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 16/05/2017 09:21:33    1987016

Link

Replying To Offside_Rule:  "48 week suspension handed down for Fitzpatrick. Good old CCCC - "If we don't get you the first or second time, by God we will keep going til we get you - unless you are from a higher ranking County in which case, carry on."

I" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.irishnews.com/sport/2017/05/16/news/antrim-to-appeal-as-matthew-fitzpatrick-is-hit-with-48-week-ban-by-gaa-s-central-hearings-committee-1027201/"
I started a thread on it but hasn't appeared yet. Didn't he get a 1 game ban initially? What is going on?!?!?!

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 16/05/2017 11:21:58    1987041

Link

Replying To gotmilk:  "I started a thread on it but hasn't appeared yet. Didn't he get a 1 game ban initially? What is going on?!?!?!"
Don't really know what is going on yet gotmilk as only heard the latest on the Radio on the way in to Belfast this morning and haven't heard the jungle drums beating around the County yet as to what is actually going on. But on reading it does sound pretty severe for whatever "misleading an investigation" means in lay mans terms.

CCCC: Did you do it
MF: Nope
CCCC: We have new evidence which shows someone who might be you doing something bad
CCCC: Mislead an investigation would you. The cheek. Have a 48 week ban for your troubles

The characters and events in the above scenario are not fictitious though the above words spoken may be fictitious. Any apparent similarity to real words spoken is not intended by the author and is either a coincidence, the product of your own troubled imagination or your inner knowledge of how the CCCC within the GAA works.

Offside_Rule (Antrim) - Posts: 4058 - 16/05/2017 13:19:01    1987079

Link

Replying To Offside_Rule:  "Don't really know what is going on yet gotmilk as only heard the latest on the Radio on the way in to Belfast this morning and haven't heard the jungle drums beating around the County yet as to what is actually going on. But on reading it does sound pretty severe for whatever "misleading an investigation" means in lay mans terms.

CCCC: Did you do it
CCCC: We have new evidence which shows someone who might be you doing something bad
CCCC: Mislead an investigation would you. The cheek. Have a 48 week ban for your troubles

The characters and events in the above scenario are not fictitious though the above words spoken may be fictitious. Any apparent similarity to real words spoken is not intended by the author and is either a coincidence, the product of your own troubled imagination or your inner knowledge of how the CCCC within the GAA works."
Bizarre suspension to say the least...if someone gets that sort of a ban for a form of violent conduct you tend to get wind of it on the grapevine at some stage but I have to say I haven't heard a dicky bird about it

bumpernut (Antrim) - Posts: 1852 - 16/05/2017 13:47:19    1987089

Link

If Fitzpatrick had been from a higher profile county he wouldn't have got such a draconian ban. It's symptomatic of the way Croke Park has treated Antrim over the years. Rory Gallagher had a great article in yesterday's Irish News where he lambasted the GAA's treatment and neglect of Antrim and Belfast. He said it was Croke Park's shame.

Ulsterman (Antrim) - Posts: 9701 - 16/05/2017 14:48:15    1987124

Link

Just seen Ryan McHugh is fully fit, Great news for Donegal.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 808 - 16/05/2017 23:30:17    1987353

Link

Fitzpatrick is starting after getting his 48-week ban away.

oakleafersir (Derry) - Posts: 808 - 19/05/2017 22:49:09    1988456

Link

Replying To oakleafersir:  "This match will most likely be a very one sided affair, Donegal I reckon will come out of this match with a very convincing win, they are for definite the better team by a country mile and they are also playing at home so they have home advantage as well. I would love to be proven wrong and see Antrim put a good test up to Donegal.
Donegal +9"
Donegal by at least 7

GameOfTyrones (Tyrone) - Posts: 469 - 20/05/2017 12:07:30    1988514

Link

Shame BBC NI not allowed to show this match live (deferred coverage 7 pm) ,
Seems they not allowed to screen a live match not already on RTE.
Ironic that RTE still showing 7 from 8 Ulster Championship live despite their contempt for the product for over a decade now,
Does the Ulster Council have any say in this matter or are terms of all TV deals determined by Croke Park?

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 505 - 20/05/2017 16:26:26    1988573

Link

Replying To Curlew66:  "Shame BBC NI not allowed to show this match live (deferred coverage 7 pm) ,
Ironic that RTE still showing 7 from 8 Ulster Championship live despite their contempt for the product for over a decade now,
Does the Ulster Council have any say in this matter or are terms of all TV deals determined by Croke Park?"
There were two matches set for 4pm yesterday and RTE couldnt show both hence they picked the Cork v Tipp match. Being fair RTE called that one perfectly as the Donegal v Antrim match was at the other end of the scale to the Cork v Tipp.

Brian_Coyote (Antrim) - Posts: 346 - 22/05/2017 11:25:26    1989243

Link

Replying To Brian_Coyote:  "There were two matches set for 4pm yesterday and RTE couldnt show both hence they picked the Cork v Tipp match. Being fair RTE called that one perfectly as the Donegal v Antrim match was at the other end of the scale to the Cork v Tipp."
Agree 100% with you Brian but if you read my post again I wasn't lamenting RTE not showing the Ulster match.
I was wondering why does it have to be RTE or not at all when you have two regional stations willing to broadcast it . You may recall last year that both Ulster semis went to a replay that couldn't be screened live due to RTE having a full schedule.
I don't think RTE deserve to have a monopoly on Ulster football when they constantly rejoice at consistently rubbishing it. Relieving RTE of Ulster duties would free them up to show teams like Carlow that never get a look in until they qualify to meet Dublin.. I like BBC NI's presentation of the match as well.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 505 - 22/05/2017 20:37:10    1989569

Link

BBC NI coverage of Donegal is better in general, be it from Ulster championship football to the weather forecast, we are ignored up here anyway, all this talk now about a united ireland, we be better with a united Ulster first.
On a different note I liked the Gooch on the Sunday game, he may not be as slick as some of the other pundits they have on, but he was a brilliant inter county player who has walked the walk so his opinion is very valuable, thought he was very unbiased with his comments on Donegal unlike the snide remarks we usually get.

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2745 - 22/05/2017 22:52:57    1989631

Link

Replying To Tirchonaill1:  "BBC NI coverage of Donegal is better in general, be it from Ulster championship football to the weather forecast, we are ignored up here anyway, all this talk now about a united ireland, we be better with a united Ulster first.
On a different note I liked the Gooch on the Sunday game, he may not be as slick as some of the other pundits they have on, but he was a brilliant inter county player who has walked the walk so his opinion is very valuable, thought he was very unbiased with his comments on Donegal unlike the snide remarks we usually get."
They're handy at the weather forecasts right enough. Not sure that could form the basis of a political settlement though!

himachechy (Donegal) - Posts: 293 - 23/05/2017 12:36:28    1989777

Link

Replying To himachechy:  "They're handy at the weather forecasts right enough. Not sure that could form the basis of a political settlement though!"
Political climate, weather climate - sure it's all the same thing.

Al_Maguire (Donegal) - Posts: 244 - 23/05/2017 12:46:07    1989781

Link

ach the weather is very important ya know !!

Tirchonaill1 (Donegal) - Posts: 2745 - 23/05/2017 12:46:52    1989782

Link

Replying To Curlew66:  "Shame BBC NI not allowed to show this match live (deferred coverage 7 pm) ,
Does the Ulster Council have any say in this matter or are terms of all TV deals determined by Croke Park?"
I like the commentary and analysis on BBCNI, Marty Clarke Oisin McConville good. The only gripe I would have is the 4 replays of every score and 80% of the time misses the kickout and the subsequent 10-15 seconds play. We don't need to see endless replays of scores especially free kicks.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 23/05/2017 15:03:17    1989837

Link

I enjoy the local knowledge dimension that they bring to the analysis, their panel can be just as critical and robust but it never, ever gets personally offensive which I find reassuring. Heard JB on radio Saturday afternoon being interviewed on his successful appeal against a crazy 48 week ban dished out to an Antrim player. He argued that negative headlines adds stress to a players personal and professional life, job prospects etc. Left me thinking that the same applies to an amateur player being lambasted and personally ridiculed by a studio 'expert' afforded a large viewing audience. When I hear for example Tyrone being described as being ''like a bad smell and if they ever win an AI with player X on board then I will eat my hat but don't talk to me of player Y as a man'' I wonder what the agenda is and who is pushing it. Its highly significant that after regular borderline comments that the only time a presenter, panelist and the broadcaster of TSG apologised was when one of their own commentators was insulted. I would very much welcome RTE clarifying their attitude towards Ulster football.

Curlew66 (Roscommon) - Posts: 505 - 23/05/2017 20:50:16    1989995

Link