National Forum

Diarmuid Connolly and threat of suspension

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Agree with a lot of what you say Arock , were we maybe differ is that Connolly is responsible for his actions no one else not fans , markers , Gavin ,coaches or refs , only one person on this planet can control his re-actions and that's DC ,
Refs have enough of a job trying to ref a game , if sweet nothings are going into his ear it will be done well out of earshot , my own son was playing a minor match and the fella marking him must have been slightly disturbed in the head the flith that came out of his gob, there 17-18 year olds it happens and my son like DC was responsible for his response

Damothedub (Dublin) - Posts: 5193 - 21/04/2017 14:03:03    1981459

Link

Replying To arock:  "Connolly is a lot of things cynical he is not, plays on the edge but so what! that is his game if you don't like it - its probably tough. Most managers see the best side of him and that is all they want. Seeing him first hand as a lad playing I can say if you annoy him he will react, what you see is ultimately what you get, he can be one cocky clown and must be a nightmare to mark. But he won't change his game and the colour of the card won't matter to him one way or the other. Annoy him enough he will most likely flatten you, but the thing is who is the cynical ones winding him up then? It is up to the ref's at the end of the day, if they do their job right he will get the protection every player deserves. Generally speaking ref's penalise the reaction not the infraction. No one has to like him as a person, if my daughter brought him home would I be happy - no, but that is nothing to do with his game he is a wonderful footballer."
True about the ref penalising the reaction. This is the way gaelic football has always been and probably always will be.

Gavvygavgav (Dublin) - Posts: 382 - 21/04/2017 15:01:58    1981483

Link

The thing about trying to deliberately get a black card is, how can you be 100% certain that the refis going to produce black and not yellow? You can't.

Gavvygavgav (Dublin) - Posts: 382 - 21/04/2017 15:05:37    1981486

Link

Replying To Damothedub:  "Agree with a lot of what you say Arock , were we maybe differ is that Connolly is responsible for his actions no one else not fans , markers , Gavin ,coaches or refs , only one person on this planet can control his re-actions and that's DC ,
Refs have enough of a job trying to ref a game , if sweet nothings are going into his ear it will be done well out of earshot , my own son was playing a minor match and the fella marking him must have been slightly disturbed in the head the flith that came out of his gob, there 17-18 year olds it happens and my son like DC was responsible for his response"
I think Connolly himself would admit he is solely responsible for the way he reacts but I think the critical thing is he is reactive and yet he is seen as the villain when in fact he is the wronged party initially - admittedly he undoes all this by his over-the-top reactions! If you take the infamous DRA ruling that incident with the choke hold and the resulting punch - clearly by any stretch of natural justice the lad was entitled to defend himself end of story. Referee got it totally wrong probably wouldn't have been a peep if both players walked. And in relation to your lad if he is a forward and if he is any good he will have the marks and claws of battle - all the things that seem to part and parcel of some defenders armoury which is provok, get a reaction and get the lad sent off. Connolly probably has a very short fuse but some clown has to light it first.

arock (Dublin) - Posts: 4896 - 21/04/2017 15:17:08    1981489

Link

The thing about trying to deliberately get a black card is, how can you be 100% certain that the refis going to produce black and not yellow? You can't.

Gavvygavgav (Dublin) - Posts:150 - 21/04/2017

In theory the rules / guidelines on what constitutes a black card are pretty clear.

In theory, communism works. In theory...

if_in_doubt (Kildare) - Posts: 3685 - 21/04/2017 15:35:33    1981499

Link

Replying To arock:  "I think Connolly himself would admit he is solely responsible for the way he reacts but I think the critical thing is he is reactive and yet he is seen as the villain when in fact he is the wronged party initially - admittedly he undoes all this by his over-the-top reactions! If you take the infamous DRA ruling that incident with the choke hold and the resulting punch - clearly by any stretch of natural justice the lad was entitled to defend himself end of story. Referee got it totally wrong probably wouldn't have been a peep if both players walked. And in relation to your lad if he is a forward and if he is any good he will have the marks and claws of battle - all the things that seem to part and parcel of some defenders armoury which is provok, get a reaction and get the lad sent off. Connolly probably has a very short fuse but some clown has to light it first."
It's unfortunate that Connolly comes in for so much attention but nobody can upset you, annoy you or 'light your fuse' without your consent. His best response to any messing is to ignore it.

neverright (Roscommon) - Posts: 1648 - 21/04/2017 16:14:49    1981512

Link

Replying To arock:  "I think Connolly himself would admit he is solely responsible for the way he reacts but I think the critical thing is he is reactive and yet he is seen as the villain when in fact he is the wronged party initially - admittedly he undoes all this by his over-the-top reactions! If you take the infamous DRA ruling that incident with the choke hold and the resulting punch - clearly by any stretch of natural justice the lad was entitled to defend himself end of story. Referee got it totally wrong probably wouldn't have been a peep if both players walked. And in relation to your lad if he is a forward and if he is any good he will have the marks and claws of battle - all the things that seem to part and parcel of some defenders armoury which is provok, get a reaction and get the lad sent off. Connolly probably has a very short fuse but some clown has to light it first."
Can you explain why Connolly got black carded against Kerry so?

Gavin Crowley would have absolutely no history with Connolly ever , and he was only just on the field a few minutes and was jogging back towards his own goal about 3/4 yards in front of Connolly and Connolly runs after him grabs him by the jersey and pulls him to the ground.

Can you explain that arock.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 21/04/2017 18:38:29    1981543

Link

I'd say Connolly has been around long enough now to know that fellas will try to contain him by whatever means possible.They cannot beat you playing ball so they'll prod and poke you knowing he is likely to do something foolish in the heat of the moment.
Physically or verbal they'll get under these lads skin and await the inevitable.

catch22 (USA) - Posts: 2148 - 21/04/2017 18:49:17    1981544

Link

Replying To catch22:  "I'd say Connolly has been around long enough now to know that fellas will try to contain him by whatever means possible.They cannot beat you playing ball so they'll prod and poke you knowing he is likely to do something foolish in the heat of the moment.
Physically or verbal they'll get under these lads skin and await the inevitable."
Just watched the league final again and Gavin Crowley was only on the field for 50 seconds when Connolly pulled him down for his black card so there can't have been anything said or done to have that kind of reaction.

Also it's amazing how the cccc haven't taken retrospective action against Michael McCauley Philly McMahon James McCarthy and donnacha Walsh, all 4 should be suspended for their counties next games.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 23/04/2017 21:57:52    1982003

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Just watched the league final again and Gavin Crowley was only on the field for 50 seconds when Connolly pulled him down for his black card so there can't have been anything said or done to have that kind of reaction.

Also it's amazing how the cccc haven't taken retrospective action against Michael McCauley Philly McMahon James McCarthy and donnacha Walsh, all 4 should be suspended for their counties next games."
And lynge for a very dangerous high tackle on Connolly shocking from a Kerry player.

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 23/04/2017 22:27:21    1982009

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Just watched the league final again and Gavin Crowley was only on the field for 50 seconds when Connolly pulled him down for his black card so there can't have been anything said or done to have that kind of reaction.

Also it's amazing how the cccc haven't taken retrospective action against Michael McCauley Philly McMahon James McCarthy and donnacha Walsh, all 4 should be suspended for their counties next games."
It's a strange one alright, we seen suspension's after the Kerry Mayo game and Mattie Donnelly was suspended after the game with Mayo in Omagh but i dont remember any other suspension's after that. It seem's to be something that was being brought in this year but again consistency would be nice

glasagusdhearg (Mayo) - Posts: 55 - 23/04/2017 23:48:01    1982032

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "And lynge for a very dangerous high tackle on Connolly shocking from a Kerry player."
Absolutely clondalkin, although technically the ref did already deal with lyne as he did with Brian Fenton with the yellow which was a clear black.

Also my Irish wouldn't be up to scratch but from what I could make out is that Steve cluxton got his yellow for going into the referees room at half time.

I wonder what was he going in there for?

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 24/04/2017 10:22:11    1982113

Link

Replying To glasagusdhearg:  "It's a strange one alright, we seen suspension's after the Kerry Mayo game and Mattie Donnelly was suspended after the game with Mayo in Omagh but i dont remember any other suspension's after that. It seem's to be something that was being brought in this year but again consistency would be nice"
Ya look it's totally unacceptable by the cccc .
I mean it's either justice for all or justice for no one.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 24/04/2017 10:25:02    1982117

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "Absolutely clondalkin, although technically the ref did already deal with lyne as he did with Brian Fenton with the yellow which was a clear black.

Also my Irish wouldn't be up to scratch but from what I could make out is that Steve cluxton got his yellow for going into the referees room at half time.

I wonder what was he going in there for?"
Referee's room at HT? First I've heard of that , where you getting this from?

clondalkindub (Dublin) - Posts: 9926 - 24/04/2017 10:46:29    1982127

Link

Replying To clondalkindub:  "Referee's room at HT? First I've heard of that , where you getting this from?"
I got it from what the commentators said on the telly at the start of the second half ,
Now my Irish wouldn't be great and there are Irish speakers on here so maybe they can set the record straight about why cluxton got the yellow card before the start of the second half?

Something like Steven cluxton isteach sa seomra reiteoir.

KingdomBoy1 (Kerry) - Posts: 14092 - 24/04/2017 12:53:24    1982184

Link

A lot of people seem to think DC is the only player to have ever shipped abuse .

Michael Murphy gets ridiculous abuse as does Ryan McHugh . Look at the fouling by Dublin on Ryan last year - shocking . Murphy at club level up here gets serious torture but is professional enough not to react .

Brogan has got it., Donaghy , McManus , Gooch. Connolly is terrific but he's not alone in being on the wrong end of cynicism .

TheRightStuff (Donegal) - Posts: 1688 - 24/04/2017 13:10:21    1982191

Link

Replying To KingdomBoy1:  "I got it from what the commentators said on the telly at the start of the second half ,
Now my Irish wouldn't be great and there are Irish speakers on here so maybe they can set the record straight about why cluxton got the yellow card before the start of the second half?

Something like Steven cluxton isteach sa seomra reiteoir."
I find that hard to believe given that the dressing rooms are under the Hogan Stand and the referees room is under the Cusack, unless they are suggesting Cluxton ran around the tunnel under the stadium just to talk to the ref. Smacks of a conspiracy theory to be honest. Not doubting what the commentators said, but its much more likely he was booked for arguing with the umpires after the incident/clash involving Walsh and the Dublin player, (not sure who), at the Hill goal just before half time.

AHP (Dublin) - Posts: 323 - 24/04/2017 13:16:48    1982195

Link

Ripping other players reputations into shreds in the past for acquiring themselves a black card during a game and now actually encouraging it cos it suits your own teams agenda going forward. Glad to see you remain principled and uncynical lads. So what do we want lads principled sportsmen playing for the love of the game and the honour of their county's,or win at all cost sportsmen prepared to do anything to win the ultimate prize in the end? Can't be both lads in fairness. Surely the "right" thing to do is to try to keep your nose clean in every game. Or does that only apply to certain players? Just to be clear I'd not hang any player for getting himself the black card now,but then I'd apply that standard to all players and not unfairly criticize a lad for doin it just cos it might not suit me or my county down the road.

seanie_boy (Tyrone) - Posts: 4235 - 24/04/2017 13:44:47    1982208

Link

Replying To AHP:  "I find that hard to believe given that the dressing rooms are under the Hogan Stand and the referees room is under the Cusack, unless they are suggesting Cluxton ran around the tunnel under the stadium just to talk to the ref. Smacks of a conspiracy theory to be honest. Not doubting what the commentators said, but its much more likely he was booked for arguing with the umpires after the incident/clash involving Walsh and the Dublin player, (not sure who), at the Hill goal just before half time."
McCarthy and you're bang on!

Jackeen (Dublin) - Posts: 4097 - 24/04/2017 14:25:21    1982227

Link

Its all about the changing image of Gaelic Football. 30 years ago, if some fella was mouthing on the field or acting the maggot he would have got a dig for it and then everyone would be saying he got what he deserved. I agree the wrong person often gets punished now.

zinny (Wexford) - Posts: 1804 - 24/04/2017 15:41:38    1982251

Link