National Forum

What has happened to the GAA in Cork

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "You just answered the question on whats wrong with cork gaa????!!!
At wexford cork match in thurles last year and more cork kids had munster red rugby jersey's on than cork gaa jerseys...
Comparied to hurling yes rugby is very boring and until cork people realise that gaa in that once great gaa county will remain weak!!!!
Rugby is were the in crowd are at the moment in cork!!!
Or want to be crowd!!!"
So rugby has caused the temporary demise of GAA in Cork and not the GAA? And Cork GAA is suffering because Cork people are rugby bandwagoneers and abandoned the GAA in favour of rugby when Munster and Ireland rugby are winning nothing? Kids going to Cork hurling matches wearing rugby jersies is bad for GAA in Cork?

Dublin GAA, who arguably have as much competition from Rugby, don't seem to have as many problems with their Hurling and football team. Their football team is doing quite well some say!

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 01/05/2017 09:20:23    1983728

Link

To be fair that was an encouraging result on Wednesday night for Cork hurling winning the Munster u17 beating Waterford in their own back yard 3-13 to 1-11 having previously had a big win over Tipp and also beating Limerick.......small steps and all that but taken with the good results in recent years at u16 etc the corner may be slowly turned

PaudieSull1 (Down) - Posts: 738 - 01/05/2017 12:03:17    1983756

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "You just answered the question on whats wrong with cork gaa????!!!
At wexford cork match in thurles last year and more cork kids had munster red rugby jersey's on than cork gaa jerseys...
Comparied to hurling yes rugby is very boring and until cork people realise that gaa in that once great gaa county will remain weak!!!!
Or want to be crowd!!!"
Nothing to do with rugby. It's totally the cork GAAs fault that cork teams are doing poorly. Blaming rugby is an excuse. We stopped doing that years ago in Limerick where rugby is much more of a 'people's' game than it is in Cork where it's mostly middle class that play it.

bloodyban (Limerick) - Posts: 1710 - 01/05/2017 14:51:36    1983785

Link

Replying To bloodyban:  "Nothing to do with rugby. It's totally the cork GAAs fault that cork teams are doing poorly. Blaming rugby is an excuse. We stopped doing that years ago in Limerick where rugby is much more of a 'people's' game than it is in Cork where it's mostly middle class that play it."
No Cork man is blaming rugby, for whatever reason a wexford man is thinking thats whats wrong with Cork GAA, In reality were not good enough anymore, will we rise again, hopefully, but i think we are a good bit away

TrevorPhillips (Cork) - Posts: 28 - 01/05/2017 20:40:57    1983839

Link

Or want to be crowd!!!"
So people liking rugby is the problem?. Yes a lot of Cork people support rugby, probably as much as every other county in Ireland, rugby isnt the problem, I live in a rural area, my region has about 15 gaa teams, 3 soccer teams and 1 rugby team. so im pretty sure rugby isnt the problem , another pathetic excuse to bash rugby

TrevorPhillips (Cork) - Posts: 28 - 01/05/2017 20:49:21    1983841

Link

Cork to me has always been the home of Gaelic games. Unfortunately recently there has been problems. Due to the rise of Tipp in hurling and also Waterford/Clare, and Kerry's success in football. Cork also has a fairly successful Soccer team.
Part of this is a massive "media" campaign to denigrate all things Irish and Gaelic. From Sinn Féin to the Irish language to the GAA- Irish culture has been sneered at.
In their rush to gain acceptance from the Unionists in the North, these people have decided to attack the culture the Unionists dislike eg GAA. Corcaigh Abú, The South will rise again!

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2517 - 01/05/2017 21:34:29    1983848

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Cork to me has always been the home of Gaelic games. Unfortunately recently there has been problems. Due to the rise of Tipp in hurling and also Waterford/Clare, and Kerry's success in football. Cork also has a fairly successful Soccer team.
Part of this is a massive "media" campaign to denigrate all things Irish and Gaelic. From Sinn Féin to the Irish language to the GAA- Irish culture has been sneered at.
In their rush to gain acceptance from the Unionists in the North, these people have decided to attack the culture the Unionists dislike eg GAA. Corcaigh Abú, The South will rise again!"
Who are these people ?

What have these people got to do with the, alleged, demise of Cork GAA?

GreenandRed (Mayo) - Posts: 7335 - 01/05/2017 22:09:45    1983856

Link

Replying To GreenandRed:  "Who are these people ?

What have these people got to do with the, alleged, demise of Cork GAA?"
Every time you open a paper it seems there is an article about " Puke ball Gaelic football" or GAA player in volved in assault, Or GAA referee abused etc. The mainstream print sports media are the culprits. Indo, Herald, Irish Times among them.
Also every time you turn on the TV or Radio you hear: Gaa is boring!! GAA is in decline, Irish language is a waste, Sinn Féin involved in torture and so on and on and on and on ad nauseum. Slán agus beannacht.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2517 - 02/05/2017 15:50:34    1983987

Link

GAA in Cork are operating in a hostile envirnoment. Limerick GAA have operated in this enviroment for years and they are defeated really. Slán.

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2517 - 02/05/2017 15:51:43    1983988

Link

Or want to be crowd!!!"
the rugby must be catching on because on 26th february - you were posting about an ireland womens team match while your county was playing a vital home NFL game.more interested in posting about rugby than going to cheer on your team!!!!!

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 03/05/2017 08:39:36    1984104

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "GAA in Cork are operating in a hostile envirnoment. Limerick GAA have operated in this enviroment for years and they are defeated really. Slán."
what hostile environment is this now, please enlighted us i have been involved in limerick gaa and rugby as a player,supporter and now coach all my life and am very interested that you tell me about this hostile environment coz i certainly dont see it , by the way hurling is by far the most dominant sport here - but most of the guys who like hurling like rugby as well, and vice versa

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 03/05/2017 08:48:03    1984107

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "the rugby must be catching on because on 26th february - you were posting about an ireland womens team match while your county was playing a vital home NFL game.more interested in posting about rugby than going to cheer on your team!!!!!"
Yes NFL..
Hurling is my game!!
What the hell has woman's rugby got to do with cork gaa!!!

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 550 - 03/05/2017 09:14:55    1984118

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "Cork to me has always been the home of Gaelic games. Unfortunately recently there has been problems. Due to the rise of Tipp in hurling and also Waterford/Clare, and Kerry's success in football. Cork also has a fairly successful Soccer team.
In their rush to gain acceptance from the Unionists in the North, these people have decided to attack the culture the Unionists dislike eg GAA. Corcaigh Abú, The South will rise again!"
I really hope cork rise and soon..
They bring colour and style to the summer

tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts: 550 - 03/05/2017 09:18:50    1984119

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "Yes NFL..
Hurling is my game!!
What the hell has woman's rugby got to do with cork gaa!!!"
i just find it interesting that you are more interested in posting about rugby that actually going to support your team

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 03/05/2017 09:27:07    1984122

Link

I really hope cork rise and soon..
tonydoranfan (Wexford) - Posts:271 - 03/05/2017 09:18:50 1984119

i dont - they have a tendancy to beat us!!

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 03/05/2017 09:27:56    1984123

Link

Replying To tonydoranfan:  "Yes NFL..
Hurling is my game!!
What the hell has woman's rugby got to do with cork gaa!!!"
What has rugby got to do with gaa

eh your comment - "Comparied to hurling yes rugby is very boring and until cork people realise that gaa in that once great gaa county will remain weak!!!!"

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 03/05/2017 09:33:51    1984125

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "what hostile environment is this now, please enlighted us i have been involved in limerick gaa and rugby as a player,supporter and now coach all my life and am very interested that you tell me about this hostile environment coz i certainly dont see it , by the way hurling is by far the most dominant sport here - but most of the guys who like hurling like rugby as well, and vice versa"
last time Limerick- a "sporting stronghold" won an All Ireland was 1973. Yes they love their hurling and GAA there. I can't remember the last time they won a Gaelic football LOL

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2517 - 03/05/2017 12:32:43    1984196

Link

Replying To janesboro:  "what hostile environment is this now, please enlighted us i have been involved in limerick gaa and rugby as a player,supporter and now coach all my life and am very interested that you tell me about this hostile environment coz i certainly dont see it , by the way hurling is by far the most dominant sport here - but most of the guys who like hurling like rugby as well, and vice versa"
last time Limerick- a "sporting stronghold" won an All Ireland was 1973. Yes they love their hurling and GAA there. I can't remember the last time they won a Gaelic football LOL

galwayford (Galway) - Posts: 2517 - 03/05/2017 12:32:44    1984197

Link

Replying To galwayford:  "last time Limerick- a "sporting stronghold" won an All Ireland was 1973. Yes they love their hurling and GAA there. I can't remember the last time they won a Gaelic football LOL"
and what do you know about limerick gaa, our hurlers bring better crowds than ye do

i suppose mayo and kildare people dont love their football either , or sligo roscommon, i suppose waterford people dont love their hurling either .

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 03/05/2017 12:41:45    1984198

Link

galwayford i am still waiting with bated breath and full of excitment and anticipation for you to tell me about this ...ahem "hostile envoronment" the limerick gaa operates in ............ take your time!!

janesboro (Limerick) - Posts: 1502 - 03/05/2017 12:45:14    1984201

Link