National Forum

Ulster Football Championship

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To cityman73:  "Ulster might be competitive,but filled with very poor teams,2017 four league champions came from Leinster(1)Connacht (1)Munster (2),teams who drop a division Munster (0)Leinster(1)Connacht (1)Ulster(4),last year's all semi finals Munster(2)Leinster (1)Connacht (1)Ulster (0),its easy to make a poor championship look competitive, outside of Tyrone, Donegal and monaghan its full of very poor teams,the problem in Munster is you have a brilliant Kerry team,cork,Clarke and tipp same level,example Clarke and tipp beating ulster teams,in Connacht mayo are the third best team in the country but galway and Roscommon would beat six out of nine ulster counties,Leinster is a bit like Munster Dublin are the best team in country,but you would have 2-3 Leinster teams ahead of the six poor ulster teams.Very easy to dismiss the other championships without looking at the facts"
Cityman, I can't agree with your dismissal of Cavan in your assessment.

They would certainly be on a par with Roscommon & Galway, would be more than competitive with Kildare & Meath and a distance better than any of the other Leinster teams outside of Dublin.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 13/04/2017 22:23:18    1979251

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Cityman, I can't agree with your dismissal of Cavan in your assessment.

They would certainly be on a par with Roscommon & Galway, would be more than competitive with Kildare & Meath and a distance better than any of the other Leinster teams outside of Dublin."
Yeah agree on Cavan.

Also another way of looking at it, excluding Donegal, Tyrone & Monaghan who are all top 6 All Ireland teams, would the other 6 have a chance of reaching the final in the other 3 provinces if not on same side as Kerry, Dublin & Mayo? I would say yes to all bar Antrim.

They wouldn't be favourities in some of the match-ups but it wouldn't be a huge shock if they won.

Ulster is definitely the most competitive province

county man (Limerick) - Posts: 1102 - 13/04/2017 22:52:10    1979260

Link

Replying To cityman73:  "Ulster might be competitive,but filled with very poor teams,2017 four league champions came from Leinster(1)Connacht (1)Munster (2),teams who drop a division Munster (0)Leinster(1)Connacht (1)Ulster(4),last year's all semi finals Munster(2)Leinster (1)Connacht (1)Ulster (0),its easy to make a poor championship look competitive, outside of Tyrone, Donegal and monaghan its full of very poor teams,the problem in Munster is you have a brilliant Kerry team,cork,Clarke and tipp same level,example Clarke and tipp beating ulster teams,in Connacht mayo are the third best team in the country but galway and Roscommon would beat six out of nine ulster counties,Leinster is a bit like Munster Dublin are the best team in country,but you would have 2-3 Leinster teams ahead of the six poor ulster teams.Very easy to dismiss the other championships without looking at the facts"
Of course I see you conveniently ignore that 3 months ago you had 4 ulster teams in division 1, 3 in division 2 and 2 in division 3 with none in division 4

bumpernut (Antrim) - Posts: 1852 - 13/04/2017 22:52:32    1979261

Link

Division One teams Dublin, Kerry and Mayo will win out in the provinces. A case could be made for any of the four Ulster teams in Division One winning Ulster.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1780 - 14/04/2017 13:02:31    1979371

Link

Replying To Byanthon:  "Division One teams Dublin, Kerry and Mayo will win out in the provinces. A case could be made for any of the four Ulster teams in Division One winning Ulster."
I totally agree, Dublin and Kerry will definitely prevail, maybe there is a possibility that Galway could topple Mayo but you would still fancy them. Tyrone, Monaghan, Donegal and possibly Cavan could win Ulster. Nobody is saying it is the best province but it is definitely competitive. It could be really competitive down the line as I'd expect Armagh, Down and Derry to come good again in the not too distant future.

Green_Gold (Donegal) - Posts: 1874 - 14/04/2017 13:54:40    1979385

Link

Replying To Byanthon:  "Division One teams Dublin, Kerry and Mayo will win out in the provinces. A case could be made for any of the four Ulster teams in Division One winning Ulster."
People said the same about Mayo walking Connacht last year. Presumably if Roscommon were in Ulster a case could be made for them winning it the same as Cavan but they are totally written off in Connacht. Take Dublin out of Leinster and it would easily be the most competitive province.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 14/04/2017 17:41:12    1979435

Link

Replying To Soma:  "People said the same about Mayo walking Connacht last year. Presumably if Roscommon were in Ulster a case could be made for them winning it the same as Cavan but they are totally written off in Connacht. Take Dublin out of Leinster and it would easily be the most competitive province."
I don't see any way Cavan will win Ulster. Too many better teams in there.

MuckrossHead (Donegal) - Posts: 5028 - 14/04/2017 18:01:51    1979440

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "I don't see any way Cavan will win Ulster. Too many better teams in there."
The only way we could win is if the draw is kind to us. To win Ulster you usually need to put up big performances back to back. Unfortunately there's only one big game in us at the moment, you need reliable forwards to go on a good run against top teams. I'd have given Roscommon a chance in Ulster a couple of years ago as they looked to be throwing big shapes but I've been largely disappointed with their progress. They flatter to deceive and when the heat is on they usually don't deliver. They might still come good but they are around our level at the moment.

Hardtimes (Cavan) - Posts: 1056 - 14/04/2017 20:01:00    1979452

Link

Armagh might spring a surprise after the hurt of missing out on promotion and reach an Ulster final
They have lots of firepower with Clarke back, Oisin O Neill a quality young forward.

FoolsGold (Cavan) - Posts: 2763 - 15/04/2017 12:23:34    1979523

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "Cityman, I can't agree with your dismissal of Cavan in your assessment.

They would certainly be on a par with Roscommon & Galway, would be more than competitive with Kildare & Meath and a distance better than any of the other Leinster teams outside of Dublin."
Sorry Muck but Kildare and Meath better teams by a distance than the rest of Leinster? Neither are better teams than a distance than Westmeath who would more than hold their own against either if not beating them which they have proved in recent times. Neither Kildare or Meath have a player in their ranks of the calibre of John Heslin who I would suggest if there were transfer fees involved within in the GAA he would not be only one of the most in demand player but would cost one of the highest fees. Imagine what an addition he would be to the likes of Donegal, Tyrone and especially Mayo? Westmeath also have Paul Sharry, Kieran Martin and James Dolan who are all quality players in their own right who would make most of the starting 15's of the best sides in the country. Saying that there is no way they should have ended up in Division 4 and should really put back to back promotions together given the players they have.

panamasam (Australia) - Posts: 2781 - 15/04/2017 12:37:58    1979530

Link

Replying To MuckrossHead:  "I don't see any way Cavan will win Ulster. Too many better teams in there."
You're right. We were poor overall in the league, totally outclassed by Tyrone and Donegal, and we've lost to Monaghan twice in recent championship games.

Cavan people have eternal hope, that's one thing they're noted for, but this Cavan team lacks firepower and won't be winning any provincial titles.

Ned_Stormcrow (Cavan) - Posts: 1071 - 15/04/2017 13:20:36    1979534

Link

Replying To panamasam:  "Sorry Muck but Kildare and Meath better teams by a distance than the rest of Leinster? Neither are better teams than a distance than Westmeath who would more than hold their own against either if not beating them which they have proved in recent times. Neither Kildare or Meath have a player in their ranks of the calibre of John Heslin who I would suggest if there were transfer fees involved within in the GAA he would not be only one of the most in demand player but would cost one of the highest fees. Imagine what an addition he would be to the likes of Donegal, Tyrone and especially Mayo? Westmeath also have Paul Sharry, Kieran Martin and James Dolan who are all quality players in their own right who would make most of the starting 15's of the best sides in the country. Saying that there is no way they should have ended up in Division 4 and should really put back to back promotions together given the players they have."
Totally agree with panamasan, Westmeath have some real proven quality in their ranks who'd hold their own in any of the top panels. I know Meath have a couple too, but neither themselves or Kildare can deny that over the last couple of years that Westmeath have given a better account of themselves in championship.

Pericles (Mayo) - Posts: 2521 - 16/04/2017 12:04:17    1979820

Link

Replying To Soma:  "People said the same about Mayo walking Connacht last year. Presumably if Roscommon were in Ulster a case could be made for them winning it the same as Cavan but they are totally written off in Connacht. Take Dublin out of Leinster and it would easily be the most competitive province."
If Roscommon swapped places with say Derry this season in the championship then I would give them no chance of winning Ulster. Derry meanwhile would be in the final after beating Leitrim and would have a place in the last 12 of the All-Ireland. Dublin are exceptional but the rest of Leinster have not produced a All-Ireland finalist in 15 years. Even so if Dublin swapped places with Derry they would be preparing for fixtures with Tyrone and Donegal to reach the final. That would be more than competitive for them even if they did win.

Byanthon (Tyrone) - Posts: 1780 - 17/04/2017 09:30:06    1980057

Link

Replying To Byanthon:  "If Roscommon swapped places with say Derry this season in the championship then I would give them no chance of winning Ulster. Derry meanwhile would be in the final after beating Leitrim and would have a place in the last 12 of the All-Ireland. Dublin are exceptional but the rest of Leinster have not produced a All-Ireland finalist in 15 years. Even so if Dublin swapped places with Derry they would be preparing for fixtures with Tyrone and Donegal to reach the final. That would be more than competitive for them even if they did win."
I was just querying why Roscommon are considered to have no chance in Connacht yet Cavan, who are of a very similar standard to Roscommon, are 1 of 4 potential winners in Ulster. Regarding your hypothetical situation, if we swapped Down and Sligo then Down would have to beat London and 2 Division 1 teams to just reach a provincial final, while Sligo would have to beat a division 3 team and probably Monaghan to reach the last 12 - I know who is getting the better deal there. The reality is the best teams win the All-Ireland and at the moment it appears only 1 province has no serious contender.

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 17/04/2017 13:04:54    1980120

Link

OF course Roscommon have a better chance of winning Connacht than Cavan have of winning Ulster.
Roscommon will most likely have to play Leitrim to get to the final and then in a one-off game anything can happen. They were missing quite a few players in the league and were close enough in some of the games they lost so I could see them giving either Galway or Mayo a run for their money.
Now if Cavan are to win ulster they would most likely have to beat Monaghan and either Down or Armagh to get to the final (which is much more difficult than beating Leitrim. So by virtue of the respective paths to the final alone Roscommon stand a much better chance.

s goldrick (Cavan) - Posts: 5518 - 20/04/2017 04:30:20    1981009

Link

Replying To Soma:  "I was just querying why Roscommon are considered to have no chance in Connacht yet Cavan, who are of a very similar standard to Roscommon, are 1 of 4 potential winners in Ulster. Regarding your hypothetical situation, if we swapped Down and Sligo then Down would have to beat London and 2 Division 1 teams to just reach a provincial final, while Sligo would have to beat a division 3 team and probably Monaghan to reach the last 12 - I know who is getting the better deal there. The reality is the best teams win the All-Ireland and at the moment it appears only 1 province has no serious contender."
If you are replacing Cavan directly for Roscommon then its money in the bank for Cavan reaching a Connaught final.
If you are replacing Cavan with Sligo I would agree with your view that they are most unlikely to get to the final.

It would be 50/50 for cavan to get to the final in connaught through the route of ross/sligo while it looks like they are more like 7/2 to reach the final in ulster by the draw as it stands. It would be worse if they were on the other side of the draw, and even worse if they were in the prelims.

I would expect Ross to struggle very badly in Cavan's draw in ulster v Monaghan. Worse if they were to go in the prelims and worse still were they to go on the other side of the draw where they would have to meet either donegal or tyrone and in a neutral venue for semis.

No one can prove for sure but it is beyond a reasonable likelihood that Cavan would do better in connaught than Roscommon would do in ulster.

Donegalman (None) - Posts: 3830 - 20/04/2017 15:19:24    1981169

Link

I don't disagree I just don't understand why there is such a rush to dismiss all other provinces when talking about Ulster. Sport can be full of surprises - who predicted Longford beating Monaghan in Clones last year? I know Monaghan had played 2 hard games the 2 weekends before but it just shows how vulnerable good teams can be if they don't perform at 100%

Soma (UK) - Posts: 2630 - 20/04/2017 15:46:08    1981183

Link

Getting off topic lads. What we want to know is who will win Ulster

ciaran1988 (Antrim) - Posts: 86 - 21/04/2017 06:42:56    1981323

Link

Replying To ciaran1988:  "Getting off topic lads. What we want to know is who will win Ulster"
Monaghan.
Best full back line in Div1 (according to the Dubs fans), Good attacking half backs, functional mid-field and the best scoring forward in Div 1 with an average of 6.5 points/game (1-9 against Dublin). Hopefully McManus gets back to form as we would need more than one scoring forward to do it

mhunicean_abu (Monaghan) - Posts: 1044 - 21/04/2017 12:35:24    1981429

Link

Replying To mhunicean_abu:  "Monaghan.
Best full back line in Div1 (according to the Dubs fans), Good attacking half backs, functional mid-field and the best scoring forward in Div 1 with an average of 6.5 points/game (1-9 against Dublin). Hopefully McManus gets back to form as we would need more than one scoring forward to do it"
Should that not read "according to a random Dub fan who said leaving Clones"?

benched (Tyrone) - Posts: 534 - 21/04/2017 12:51:08    1981435

Link