Wexford Forum

Wexford football team

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Wexford Manager, Jason Ryan has named the Wexford team to play Carlow in the O'Byrne Cup Shield Final. Many of the established players are named with Eric Bradley of Adamstown at centre back and also captain for the day. PJ Banville makes his first start after a long injury. In-form Ben Brosnan leads the attack from corner-forward. This will be an ideal opportunity for Wexford to get their hands on some silverware as they plan for the year ahead.

Wexford (SF v Carlow): 1. Jason Russell, 2. David Walsh, 3. Joey Wadding, 4. Damien Carter, 5. Kieran Kennedy, 6. Eric Bradley (Capt.), 7. Dylan Kehoe, 8. Daithí Waters, 9. Brendan Doyle, 10. Ciarán Deely, 11. Collie Byrne, 12. Pat Naughter, 13. Ben Brosnan, 14. Adrian Flynn, 15. PJ Banville.

This game will be played in Tinryland, Carlow at 1.30 pm.

Duffy89 (Wexford) - Posts: 3320 - 26/02/2010 14:19:06    574013

Link

Duffy what happened ye today ye fell to pieces in the second half.

THE BOSS (Carlow) - Posts: 475 - 28/02/2010 17:51:42    575234

Link

out of interest, how many of yesterday's Wexford football team are likely to feature in the championship?

thinlizzy (Carlow) - Posts: 261 - 01/03/2010 10:03:09    575654

Link

28/02/2010 17:51:42
THE BOSS
County: Carlow

575234 Duffy what happened ye today ye fell to pieces in the second half.

I haven't got a clue but I tell ye one thing,I reckon they underestimated you's badly yet again !

Duffy89 (Wexford) - Posts: 3320 - 01/03/2010 10:04:59    575655

Link

01/03/2010 10:03:09
thinlizzy
County: Carlow

575654 out of interest, how many of yesterday's Wexford football team are likely to feature in the championship?

About 12 or 13 lad's,no messing !!!!!

how did Brendan Murphy get on after ?,from what I heard on the radio Simon Rea and Johnny Kavanagh had a good game

Duffy89 (Wexford) - Posts: 3320 - 01/03/2010 11:48:07    575733

Link

what a waste of yoyos 2 go watch a bad junior team if nuttin else in carlow yest give us a break have we no better sub keeper than russell or even morris who is a bit better than russell for masterson who still isnt in d top keepers in d country pls help send c.v to jason ryan and brendan doyle ?come back ger halligan and has 2 be worth his place b4 him........bad bad players and the worst thing is we havent much better to take their places.come on ryan open ur eyes and drop these for a start [with the exception of masterson] and a few more the rest of the squad deserve better and have been known 2 say in a convesation with urs truly and others so give us somethin 2 b proud of again mr ryan ...........

thekop (Wexford) - Posts: 220 - 01/03/2010 14:33:26    575951

Link

anthony russell did not one thing wrong yesterday ,his kickouts were very good ,he made three great saves and the goal only went in because of a rebound after he made a super save. Yesterday was a glorified practise match we dominated the first half and then we introduced players who are facing the chop shortly .Carlow started with some fringe players too but introduced their heavy artilery in the second half with the wind.we finished with three players who are normal starting players so i wouldnt get too worried ,the only thing i agree with you about is that its a waste of money going to games when we introduce so many fringe players and we lose out .i was chuffed at half time with players like Brendan Doyle and Ciaran Deely for their good shows much improved from both players ,flynn and brosnan both looked solid too and damien carter was very impressive before being taken off .
its all about next sunday against sligo ,losing yesterday will be quickly forgotten if we can put up a big performance against them and win ,to be honest i would be extremly dissapointed if we dont get promoted ,we are easily in the top two in this division .

bogstandard (Wexford) - Posts: 799 - 01/03/2010 16:33:18    576123

Link

Yea Jason Russell is a decent keeper- he has to be didn't he spend a year as Wexford Youths number 1? In fairness to jason ryan he has given most players that have shown good form for their clubs a chance with the county time. The only footballer I saw last year that might be worth a try and hasn;t be used is James Carty from the starlights. Great athlete and well able kick a score.

Longlegs (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 01/03/2010 16:50:56    576148

Link

well aint dat what keepers are for to make saves ??????????? and they werent really great saves his kickout were ok but as you said carlow didnt introduce their big guns til 2nd half and then they werent as good as what they should have been as for youths no1 u said it 1 season and was dropped for a starlights team mate pa doyle then so if u look at it although he kicks outfield for his club he really is only going 2 be 2nd choice for his club. tom hughes is a better keeper aidan cullen is a better keeper young roche from u21s is worth a go as back up and gavin morris is a better keeper not by much and as mentioned pa doyle is a better keeper.as for brendan doyle doin well against carlowas has always been seen big games shows what an average player he is.james carthy is a good footballer ok but not strong enough or good enough for intercounty. you could pick a club team selection from within the county dat would beat the best selected modern day county team.and i dispute ur fact dat we are in the top 2 in our group we will struggle 2 get promoted even with our best 15 our preformances are showing us where we are and deservedly so prediction for the year is remain in same division dublin 2 trounce us by at least 15 even dat they are a team in transition and beaten 1st time out in qualifiers by another bad team sorry but we have only one footballer who would get on any one of the best ten teams in d country ciaran lyng.fact!!!!!!!!!!!!!banville good footballer but thats it GOOD FOOTBALLER matties best days are behind him if he decides 2 come BACK!!!!!! colm morris is past it david walsh isnt good enough 2 contain the likes of donaghy o neill cavanagh mcdonnell cooper 2 name but a few.as for sunday sligo will win by at least 4.im sorry 2 seem so down trodden but we have had 1 good year in how long but FACTS DONT LIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thekop (Wexford) - Posts: 220 - 02/03/2010 12:36:41    576859

Link

WANTED
1 SUB KEEPER
4 OR 5 DEFENDERS
1 MIDFIELDER 2 ASSIST BRADLEY
2 HALF FORWARDS WHO CAN KICK A BALL
1 FULL FORWARD
9 OR 10 SUBS
IF INTERESTDED CONTACT JASON RYAN
YOU WILL RECIEVE A UNIFORM. FREE TICKETS TO MATCHES, TRANSPORT PROVIDED.FOOD AND DRINK.AND A LOT MORE EXTRAS.
THE ONLY THING YOU NEED IS A BIG EGO!!!!!!

SORRY TAUGHT I WAS ON JOBFINDER.............

thekop (Wexford) - Posts: 220 - 02/03/2010 12:47:25    576886

Link

I can't believe tht the county board let these footballers stay in a Kilkenny hotel for two nights to play a match in Carlow which they lose and only score one point in the entire second half!

By the way, Wexford have Dublin in Croke Park for the first round of Leinster. Qualifiers anyone?

Extremist (Wexford) - Posts: 57 - 02/03/2010 12:52:57    576895

Link

HA HA HA anyone c d poll on main page I COULDNT VOTE COS THE OPTION I WANTED WASNT THERE .....NONE OF THE ABOVE......... i dont c any of them as possibilites WHERE IS out of championship after 2 matches or maybe even relagation how low can we go

thekop (Wexford) - Posts: 220 - 02/03/2010 13:08:58    576924

Link

02/03/2010 12:47:25
thekop
County: Wexford

576886 WANTED
1 SUB KEEPER
4 OR 5 DEFENDERS
1 MIDFIELDER 2 ASSIST BRADLEY
2 HALF FORWARDS WHO CAN KICK A BALL
1 FULL FORWARD
9 OR 10 SUBS
IF INTERESTDED CONTACT JASON RYAN
YOU WILL RECIEVE A UNIFORM. FREE TICKETS TO MATCHES, TRANSPORT PROVIDED.FOOD AND DRINK.AND A LOT MORE EXTRAS.
THE ONLY THING YOU NEED IS A BIG EGO!!!!!!

SORRY TAUGHT I WAS ON JOBFINDER.............

Your right about everything bar one thing scouser,we don't need any more forward's,we have Banville,Lyng,Roche,Byrne

Duffy89 (Wexford) - Posts: 3320 - 02/03/2010 14:54:02    577055

Link

thekop,

Please keep your negative views to yourself if you insist on being SO NEGATIVE against the Wexford Football Team. Anyone can be critical, but you are making a mockery of the thing. Freedom of speech aside, I do not welcome your comments and I'm sure there are many others who may or may not agree.

I hope the lads do well in the football this year. I admire Ryan for taking the job on for another year and really trying to give new and young talent a go, see what they are like and if they are able for the tempo of intercounty football. Also I hope they go well in spite of you!

PS if your name refers to the soccer team you support, maybe you should stick to supporting them in their efforts this season, as you do not seem one bit proud of the Wexford Football team who are not professionals and do not earn tens of thousands for their modest efforts!

cailin (Wexford) - Posts: 143 - 02/03/2010 15:06:00    577066

Link

GAA FORUMS .for people who arent and never will be good enough to play for there countys....what would any of you people know about it..as far as i knew they stayed in the barracks not a hotel in kilkenny..more bad info...
idiots

wexfordman (Wexford) - Posts: 20 - 02/03/2010 15:39:35    577103

Link

Sorry Duffy. Byrne? Are you joking now or what? Absolutely brutal and how he even got onto the panel I dont know. We do have plenty of forwards, youre right, but not him.

For every good player Ryan finds, he also brings in a dud, and this is whats most annoying about his management.

icehonesty (Wexford) - Posts: 2201 - 02/03/2010 16:39:17    577181

Link

CAILIN

MY COMMENTS ARE MY OPINIONS GIVEN ON FACT AS RESULTS AND UNDER PREFORMANCES HAVE SHOWN I AM A PROUD WEXFORD MAN BUT BE HONEST WTH URSELF THIS SQUAD IS S...E.FACT AND HAS NOT GOT TH THE TALENT OR ABILITY TO GET BETTER THEY COULDNT EVEN WIN A SHIELD AGAINST A BAD CARLOW TEAM WHO WONT LAST LONG IN CHAMPIONSHIP EITHER IVE NO DOUBT SSOME LADS GIVE THEIR ALL FOR WEX BUT WE HAVE A LOT OF PASSENGERS THAT THE TEAM AINT STRONG ENOUGH TO CARRY THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL ATTACK BUT THE TRUTH BEEN TOLD BASED ON FACT WE ALL KNOW THEIR NOT PROS AND WONT BE.AS FOR JASON RYAN GOOD MANAGER BUT VERY NAIVE TO THINK HIS SQUAD IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR CHAMPIONSHIP.SO IN MY FACT BASED OPINION IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY TO GO WATCH THEM.SO I WILL FOLLOW THE CAMOGIE GIRLS MORE CHANCE OF SILVERWARE.SORRY FOR HURTIN UR FEELINGS BUT AS U ARE OBLIVIOUSLY UPSET I THINK U KNOW THE TRUTH IS THERE TO BE SEEN FOR U..........LOOK AT DUBLIN GIVIN YOUTH A CHANCE AND HOW MUCH BETTER THEIR YOUTH IS THAN OURS.THEIR SECOND STRING WOULD HAMMER OUR BEST ?15 SORRY ANOTHER PROVEN FACT THIS YEAR ALREADY AND LOUTH AND CARLOW AMONGST OTHERS

thekop (Wexford) - Posts: 220 - 02/03/2010 16:56:54    577221

Link

ah god where do i start ,wexford have had more than one good year in football in the last ten .
what do we base as good
we were in two league finals
one leinster final
four leinster semi finals
one minor semi final
one under 21 final
fair enough we have collected very little silver ware but what do we expect the county board do nothing to encourage football ,if we win our division this year it would be brilliant cant see us harming dublin at all but league promotion would be great and a run in the qualifiers

bogstandard (Wexford) - Posts: 799 - 02/03/2010 17:35:22    577287

Link

Fellow posters, do not give "thekop" air time, he's obviously a person with too much time on his hands, going by his posts he's far from proud to be a Wexford man. He obviously has a serious chip on his shoulder, probably got dropped from the team himself or didn't even get a look in. He says its not a personal attack on the Wexford football team but its clear for all to see that it in FACT is. He kinda sounds like Rafa that time he lost the plot over Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United, and we all know how that turned out. At the end of the day he supports Liverpool and that says enough for me. I know the Wexford team aint no world beaters and they dont claim to be, they have some talented players and every one of them are giving Wexford their blood sweat and tears. I urge you all to IGNORE "thekop", there is no room for a begrudger like him-her on this site dedicated to Wexford fans. I personally think Wexford will beat Sligo this weekend with their strongest team out, dont forget they had a very weakened side out against Carlow. Loch Garman Abu.

Mufflers (Wexford) - Posts: 67 - 02/03/2010 17:39:17    577301

Link

bogstandard

1 division 4 final
kicked out of croke park in leinster final by what was shown 2 be as average and ageing dub team
played probably best football of our generation against Armagh but were still easily beaten by them going at 70%
leinster semi finals break out the bubbly

i am all for wex goin forward but with the crop of players we have and what are coming through just aint good enough unfortunately!!! there is nothin in place at any level for to encourage or promote football as in fact players deserve or need...and judging from my own encounters with some of the senior panel when they are out,Interest is not as what it should be in the way of what can we get from d county not what can we give.

thekop (Wexford) - Posts: 220 - 03/03/2010 09:42:32    577673

Link