SFC Group B: Memorable Moynalvey win

August 13, 2017

Navan O'Mahonys Ruairi O Coileain with Cillian O'Sullivan Moynalvey.

Moynalvey scored a decisive win over Navan O'Mahonys in this round three clash at Skyrne early on Sunday afternoon.

Moynalvey ....... 3-15
O'Mahonys ...... 1-15

Superior in strength and pace, Moynalvey were level four times with O'Mahonys in the opening half, before gradually extending the difference from the resumption.

The outcome boosts Moynalvey's bid to reach the business end of the championship. Injury-hit O'Mahonys face a battle to join the men in white and maroon followng their first loss of the campaign.

As in their heavy league defeat at Simonstown last Monday, O'Mahonys started with Kevin Reilly in goals. Stephen Bray was introduced as first-half sub, but injury denied the Brews Hill outfit Cormac McGuinness and goalkeeper Marcas Brennan among others.

The 2015 champions hit the front twice within five minutes of the restart. Then Padraic Harnan eased through the O'Mahonys' rearguard, combined with Cillian O'Sullivan, before firing home his side's second goal. That left it 2-7 to 0-11.

It was the beginning of the end of the contest with Moynalvey adding five points on the bounce to lead by 2-12 to 0-11 with just over 10 minutes to. Sub James Kelly fired home the third goal to leave 10-points in it, 3-15 to 0-14 with just over five minutes left.

Apart from the quality of their scores, the number of top-notch blocks made by Moynalvey players was most impressive and echoed around this well-kept venue in the early afternoon.

By the 55th minute, Darren Fay's charges home and hosed in securing their second win of the campaign following a 12-point loss to champions Simonstown last time out.

The scoreline was softened and score-difference from an O'Mahonys perspective with late Jake Regan point from play. It was followed by a stoppage time goal from Paul Whelehan (who moments earlier was denied a goal by Moynalvey netminder Ray Ryan) with Bray providing the assist.

Wing-back Anthony Forde was Moynalvey's top scorer from play with 1-3. His seventh minute goal followed a forward surge and shot that was too good for O'Mahonys' 'keeper Kevin Reilly. That left it 1-1 to 0-2.

In addition corner forwards Cillian O'Sullivan and David McLoughlin finished with 0-10 between them.

The remainder of the half was closely contested with O'Mahonys' Dylan Regan getting the point that left the scores tied at 0-9 to 1-6.at the interval.

While O'Mahonys face the champions in round four, Moynalvey have a local derby clash with Blackhall Gaels.

Moynalvey - Ray Ryan; Cathal McCabe, Robert Lawless, Darren Brennan; Anthony Forde (1-3), Stephen Donoghue, Daniel Treacy; John Donohgue, Donal Smith; Mark O'Sullivan (0-1), Padraic Harnan (1-0), Adam Murphy (0-1); Cillian O'Sullivan (0-4, 1f), Fearghal McCabe, David McLoughlin (0-6, 1f). Subs - James Kelly (1-0) for McCabe (ht), Shane Lenehan for Donoghue (54), Brian O'Reilly for M O'Sullivan (60)

O'Mahonys - Kevin Reilly; Daragh Smyth (0-1), Niall McKeigue, Ian Matthews; James O'Reilly, Gary O'Brien, Shane Crosby; Stephen Monaghan, Conor Finnegan; Ruairi O Coileain, Dylan Regan (0-3), Daragh Maguire; Shane Gillespie (0-2), Paul Whelehan (1-0), Jake Regan (0-8, 2fs, 1 45). Subs - Stephen Bray (0-1) for Maguire (18), James O'Malley for Crosby (37), Brian Dillon for O'Reilly (45), Henry Finnegan for Finnegan (52), Aodhan Mallon for D Regan (bc 53).

Referee - Bernard Heaney (Clann na nGael)

Most Read Stories