SFC: Moynalvey reel in Rathkenny to register first points

April 20, 2014

Moynalvey's Padraic Harnan
A productive second-half showing against the breeze saw Moynalvey overcome Rathkenny to register their first points in the hoganstand.com SFC Group C at Pairc Tailteann on Sunday afternoon.

Moynalvey 1-15
Rathkenny 2-8

Ian Kearney's men put down a significant deposit on the points when outscoring Rathkenny by 1-5 to 0-1 between the 36th and 54th minutes.

That flourish earned Moynalvey a six-point lead, 1-15 to 2-6, and cushioned them against a late Ratkenny rally that yielded points from Thomas Martin and Donal Curtis. However it couldn't help Des Lane's men building on their opening round win over St Patrick's.

Interval replacement Cathal McCabe made an immediate impact for Rathkenny when finishing low to the Moynalvey net at the hospital end to leave his side leading by the minimum, 2-5 to 0-10, after 35 minutes. Donal Curtis provided the assist with Ivan Lenehan also contributing.

Within five minutes of conceding their second major, Moynalvey were three points clear. First, Mark O'Sullivan levelled matters for the fourth and final time in the game.

The Moynalvey full-forward played a pivotal role in his side's goal in the 40th minute when his free was fumbled by Rathkenny 'keeper Barry Carolan and top scorer Daniel Treacy finished to the net at the town end.

That left the nearby scoreboard reading 1-11 to 2-5 with two-third of the hour gone. By the three-quarter mark there were five points in it, 1-13 to 2-5, after David Reilly sent over.

An exchange of passes between Darren Brennan and Shane Lenehan almost saw the latter get in for a goal but for the intervention of Rathkenny 'keeper Carolan at the expense of a 45. Padraig Harnan landed the subsequent award to complete his side's tally in the 54th minute.

Playing against the breeze in the opening half didn't prevent Rathkenny from registering the opening score through team captain Ivan Lenehan within 20 seconds of the half.

Moynalvey responded a Padraig Harnan 45 to level matters before the second minute had elapsed. The team in maroon in white played into the hospital end with the breeze behind them in the first 30 minutes.

By half-time they had registered eight wides to Rathkenny one, which arrived in first-half stoppage time. By the 12th minute Rathkenny were four points to the good, 1-3 to 0-2 after Jack Gore sent over from play. A neat Donal Curtis finish yielded the opening goal 10 minutes in.

Moynalvey chalked down five wides in the opening quarter. However, Rathkenny led by just two points midway through the first-half, 1-3 to 0-4. Wing-back Anthony Forde was the scorer of the fourth point for Ian Kearney's men.

Moynalvey maintained momentum with four scores on the spin between the 18th and 23rd minutes to lead by 0-8 to 1-3. That sequence included Harnan's second pointed 45. A pointed Jack Gore free and a James Macken effort from play left the scores tied, 1-5 to 0-8 at the break.

Within two minutes of resumption, Mark O'Sullivan restored Moynalvey's lead. Forde then created the opening for Shane Lenehan to double the advantage. In responding positively to the concession of a second goal, Ian Kearney's men were worthy winners.

Moynalvey: Ray Ryan; Cathal McCabe, Paul Weldon, Brian Harnan; Anthony Forde (0-1), Darren Brennan, David Donoghue; Padraig Harnan (0-3 45s), Stephen Donoghue; Fergal McCabe, Daniel Treacy (1-4), David Reilly (0-1); Shane Lenehan (0-1), Mark O'Sullivan (0-4, 3fs), James Kelly (0-1). Subs - John Donoghue for F McCabe (38), James Weldon for Kelly (55).

Rathkenny - Barry Carolan; Stephen Crosby, Ross Gore, Niall Brannigan; Christy Meade, Tommy McKeever, Ronan Curtis; James Macken (0-2); Caolach Halligan (0-1), Ivan Lenehan (0-2), Jack Gore (0-2, 1f); Donal Curtis (1-1), Michael Macken, Thomas Martin. Subs - Cathal McCabe (1-0) for M Macken (ht), Brian Meade for R Curtis (48).

Referee - Liam O'Brien (Duleek-Bellewstown)

Most Read Stories