IFC: Moynalvey leave K'Wood in relegation trouble

August 09, 2010

Moynalvey's Willie Byrne is outnumbered by Kilmainhamwood's Andy Farrelly Francis Owens and Stephen Smith during the Meath IFC at Kilberry
Moynalvey recorded their second victory of the 2010 Intermediate championship with a one point victory over last year's finalists Kilmainhamwood at sunny Kilberry on Sunday afternoon August 8th.

Moynalvey 1-13
Kilmainhamwood 1-12

Both of these sides who drew in the group stages of last years competition entered this game bidding for victory in an attempt to keep clear of the relegation play offs. Despite being a point down at the break it was Moynalvey who came out on top securing safety for 2010.

Kilmainhamwood took the upper hand in the early minutes opening up a two point lead but by the 7th minute Moynalvey's Mark O'Sullivan cancelled it out with two converted frees. Kilmainhamwood regained the lead in the 11th minute but O'Sullivan once again found the range, this time from play. Mid way through the half Moynalvey were two points to the good following a Willie Byrne effort and an inspirational score from Brian Gilsenan. However come the 28th minute Kilmainhamwood had reversed the two point margin to their advantage. Moynalvey spurned a number of great goal scoring chances throughout the opening period and another one came a cropper in the final minute of the half when a Mark O'Sullivan effort was well saved but following a goal mouth scramble Ray Ryan volleyed over the bar, leaving just the minimum between the sides at the break.

A minute into the second half the sides were level for a third time when O'Sullivan converted a free after he was fouled. Moynalvey could have been left to rue their opening first half wastefulness as Kilmainhamwood hit a purple patch over the next five minutes, building up a three point lead. Another O'Sullivan free and a superb effort from Byrne left two between the sides and in the 42nd minute Moynalvey raised a green flag when the Kilmainhamwood keeper failed to deal with a ball in from John Donoghue and Ray Ryan was one again on hand to show his soccer skills volleying to the back of the net. Donoghue fisted over in 48th minute and Byrne drove over 30 seconds later leaving just the goal between the sides.

The introduction of William Harnan paid immediate dividends as he slotted over in the 50th minute and Donoghue grabbed his second of the afternoon in the 53rd minute leaving the score board reading 1-13 to 0-11 in favour of the men in maroon and white. Despite not scoring for sixteen minutes, Kilmainhamwood fought gallantly over the last five minutes hitting 1-1, leaving only the solitary point between the sides at the full time whistle. Best for the winners were David Donoghue, John Donoghue, Willie Byrne and Mark O'Sullivan.

Best for the 'Wood were Steven Smith, Aiden Crosby, Michael Shankey, Steven Kiernan and Ray McGee.

Moynalvey - O. Regan, R. Kiernan, P. Weldon, P. Donoghue, W. Mahady, J. Flannery, D. Donoghue, P. Conneely, S. Donoghue, R. Ryan (1-1), D. Treacy, J. Donoghue (0-2), B. Gilsenan (0-1), W. Byrne (0-3), M. O'Sullivan (0-5). Sub: W. Harnan (0-1) for Gilsenan.

Kilmainhamwood - Damien Russell, E Clarke, S Smith, D Dolan, H Corbally, S Mulligan, A Carolan, A Crosby, A Farrelly (0-1), M Shankey (0-2), R Madden (0-1), S Kiernan (0-4), R McGee (1-3), F Owens (0-1), C Gilcreest. Subs - P Moran for D Dolan, P Barber for A Carolan, David Russell for C Gillcreest .

Most Read Stories