IFC: Moynalvey improve but Nobber hold on

May 01, 2010

Moynalvey's Mark O'Sullivan
Nobber 0-17
Moynalvey 1-9

Moynalvey suffered their second defeat of the 2010 Intermediate campaign when going down by 5 points at the hands of last year's championship semi-finalists Nobber in Simonstown last Friday night April 30th.

Nobber were first out of the traps as they had two points from play registered within the opening three minutes. Moynalvey opened their account a minute later when Willie Byrne was fouled and Mark O'Sullivan converted the resulting free kick. The teams were level two minutes later when the same combination of Byrne and O'Sullivan resulted in a second free kick conversion. Midway through the half Nobber were three points to the good having added a further three scores from play, with Moynalvey responding with another O'Sullivan free. Nobber proceeded to dominate possession and registered a further three points, before William Harnan opened his account when pointing in the 26th minute. The sides traded scores in the remaining minutes of the half with Moynalvey's effort coming from the boot of O'Sullivan once again, leaving a four point margin between the sides at the break.

Moynalvey narrowed the deficit to three when Harnan raised his second white flag of the evening in the 3rd minute of the second period. However it was a case of whenever Moynalvey closed the gap, their opponents seemed to find more scores as Nobber tagged on a further two points. The margin was reduced to four again in the 36th minute when O'Sullivan turned his marker close to the posts only to blaze over the bar from an acute angle when a goal seemed on. Following this warning the men in black & amber rattled off a further trio of points giving them a seven point advantage with 10 minutes remaining.

However Moynalvey failed to lie down and a brace of O'Sullivan frees narrowed the gap to 5 points with seven minutes left on the clock. Nobber registered two further points before Moynalvey were given a glimmer of hope when substitute Ray Ryan found the net, but Nobber had the last say kicking the final score of the game.

This was a very spirited and much improved performance since the first round from Moynalvey, who will now have a long period of time before their fourth round tie against Carnaross as they have a bye in the third round. Best performances on the night came from Robbie Kiernan, Paul Conneely & O'Sullivan.

Moynalvey - O. Regan, R. Kiernan, P. Donoghue, D. Kane, P. Weldon, D. Dixon, D. Donoghue, S. Donoghue, P. Conneely, D. Treacy, W. Harnan (0-2), B. Dixon, D. Durkan, W. Byrne, M. O'Sullivan (0-7). Subs used: A. Brien for D. Dixon, R. Ryan (1-0) for Harnan, B. Gilsenan for Durkan.

Most Read Stories