Westmeath Forum

Pat Flanangan

(Oldest Posts First)

Please excuse the intrusion here folks.

Just wondering if anyone cares to sound off regarding their view/experience with Pat Flanagan.

Many thanks in advance.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 53 - 18/11/2014 17:55:56    1673124

Link

A good man in the league (4th gear ball) but not up to it in the rough and tumble of championship ball (5th - 6th gear required).
Overall he can give Offaly something.

Redslayer (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 18/11/2014 18:30:24    1673134

Link

Makes sense.

My thinking is that Westmeath people saw some progress, but a bit more was expected - especially with the 'promotions' in winter campaigns.

Don't think his comments about a 2 tiered championship went down very well after the Dublin 2013 game.

Hopefully Westmeath can take a good cut at Division 2 this year. It will be good preparation for the summer one would think, plus it is a chance to get things back on track.

In the meantime we have a long road ahead of us. Expectations are not high, but patience will still be required. Showing some life at underage, but even if we can get some of them through it is still years off.

There is what I would call a worrying feeling that things cannot get any worse here. I disagree. All the teams seem to have stepped up their efforts in a big way. Any team looking to get out of Division 4 will have to prepare and be ready to battle it out. Nothing can be taken for granted. Anyone treading water will be left behind. Hopefully we can make some progress.

Good luck this year.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 53 - 18/11/2014 20:32:35    1673172

Link

His record would show you are almost guaranteed promotion if the team works with him. I suppose it comes down to what is considered success in a county after that. I suspect if Offaly are in Division 1 in three years time you will not sack him.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 449 - 19/11/2014 10:04:53    1673259

Link

They will be in Div 1 and wmeath will be in div4. For starters both of them will be in div 3 next year. Still cant believe why wmeath gave him the red card. He has every right to be cheessed off.

jfd (Westmeath) - Posts: 173 - 19/11/2014 10:45:48    1673280

Link

His record would show you are almost guaranteed promotion if the team works with him. I suppose it comes down to what is considered success in a county after that. I suspect if Offaly are in Division 1 in three years time you will not sack him.

I think we'd be happy with a lot less than that. Seems to bring the right amount of ambition and competitiveness. We'll have to see how it goes.

UpOffaly (Offaly) - Posts: 53 - 19/11/2014 16:22:04    1673397

Link

I think Pat Flanagan is a great appointment for Offaly - he will restore pride in the Jersey, and he will get people working together for the cause. He will achieve.

Your comment:
"Don't think his comments about a 2 tiered championship went down very well after the Dublin 2013 game."
I think your not far off here - The hammering given to us by the Dubs was bad - but going on TV saying that the GAA need to help counties like Westmeath compete against teh Dubs the following night was probably out of order. We had just won Div 2, Meath who were a Div 3 team probably gave the Dubs their second best challenge that year in the Championship.

However - He is well respected in Westmeath and I always want to see him do well. Goodluck in 2015

Ban (Westmeath) - Posts: 971 - 21/11/2014 16:00:17    1674008

Link