Westmeath Forum

Second Tier Competition

(Oldest Posts First)

Did I understand correctly that Westmeath will be in new Second tier competition as it is based on last years league positions rather than next year?

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 450 - 24/04/2019 08:13:49    2180019

Link

Replying To wonit1time:  "Did I understand correctly that Westmeath will be in new Second tier competition as it is based on last years league positions rather than next year?"
Lads resist this second tier. Croke Park will promise the sun, moon and stars and may deliver in the first year or two but will then water down the level of attention it will get. Just remember the promises made when the Christy Ring Cup was introduced, the final was to be played before an All Ireland semifinal, live TV etc, then what happened after I think it was three years the final between yourselves and Carlow was 'moved' to Tullamore on a Saturday evening. Promise broken.

Also the national press will loose interest, RTÉ will give lip service and sponsorship will dry up.

MillerX (Meath) - Posts: 583 - 19/05/2019 22:33:11    2185681

Link

Replying To MillerX:  "Lads resist this second tier. Croke Park will promise the sun, moon and stars and may deliver in the first year or two but will then water down the level of attention it will get. Just remember the promises made when the Christy Ring Cup was introduced, the final was to be played before an All Ireland semifinal, live TV etc, then what happened after I think it was three years the final between yourselves and Carlow was 'moved' to Tullamore on a Saturday evening. Promise broken.

Also the national press will loose interest, RTÉ will give lip service and sponsorship will dry up."
Not a truer word was said

JR_Iarmhi (Westmeath) - Posts: 38 - 20/05/2019 12:30:20    2185877

Link

they'd be better off with a more even distribution of coaching and games money, ie stop giving Dublin so much assistance and set proper targets for counties to meet in terms of improving clubs, schools and general participation rates which would feed into better county squads
we've two big towns in the county and not one plan in place for either of them in terms of football or hurling

manfromdelmonte (UK) - Posts: 541 - 20/05/2019 14:52:51    2185937

Link