Westmeath Forum

Louth V Westmeath

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To mickcunningham:  "jobber how is scoring 1 13 dire . this is a great bunch of lads with a great management . fair play to one and all"
I agree a great bunch of lads well led. What I said was exactly that but that the match was brutal. Laois kicked 17 wides to our six. The middle half of the field was dominated by Laois and another team with more scoring forwards such as Meath would have hammered us. If we are to continue improving we have to keep our feet on the ground. Great improvement but a lot to do.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 609 - 09/04/2019 08:05:16    2178140

Link

Replying To jobber:  "I agree a great bunch of lads well led. What I said was exactly that but that the match was brutal. Laois kicked 17 wides to our six. The middle half of the field was dominated by Laois and another team with more scoring forwards such as Meath would have hammered us. If we are to continue improving we have to keep our feet on the ground. Great improvement but a lot to do."
Loais dominated the middle third of the pitch because westmeath let them. They carried the ball from their full back line for 80 yards and then hit a brick wall on the 50 yard line which either turned the ball over or pressured them into shooting wide. Going toe to toe with a big physical loais side got us hammered last year. So it's not a bad idea to concede possession and let them tire themselves out running with the ball. Especially since we look much better turning over possession this year. Defensively focused style, yes, but it won us a league final.

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 14/04/2019 10:22:05    2178735

Link

Replying To Juniorbleague:  "Loais dominated the middle third of the pitch because westmeath let them. They carried the ball from their full back line for 80 yards and then hit a brick wall on the 50 yard line which either turned the ball over or pressured them into shooting wide. Going toe to toe with a big physical loais side got us hammered last year. So it's not a bad idea to concede possession and let them tire themselves out running with the ball. Especially since we look much better turning over possession this year. Defensively focused style, yes, but it won us a league final."
One of the 16 wides was a goal chance fluffed from 4 yards out. A better team that can shoot from distance would have beat them out the gate.

The_Biler (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 15/04/2019 16:55:35    2178990

Link