Westmeath Forum

Westmeath Vs Offaly

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Major comeback . Offaly will be very dissapointed. Luke loughlin was inspirational when he came on and he ger egan and Kieran Martin dragged us over the line

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1111 - 27/01/2019 17:37:35    2159989

Link

A great fight back and a great win for Jack and team. Very worried about our back line with the exception of dolan we were lucky the forwards got going. We have one footballer who refuses to go for 50/50 balls not acceptable at this level

ear2ground (Westmeath) - Posts: 77 - 27/01/2019 18:08:39    2160003

Link

Replying To XPAC:  "How big a part did the wind play?"
Wind was stronger in first half.Everyone delighted with great comeback eight down away from home with twenty five minutes to go and still win is a great achievement.Morale can only go higher BUT let's get real for forty five minutes we were awful and will have to take serious lessons.But as I said earlier in the week I'd take a one point win.

jobber (Westmeath) - Posts: 609 - 27/01/2019 19:12:07    2160046

Link

Replying To ear2ground:  "A great fight back and a great win for Jack and team. Very worried about our back line with the exception of dolan we were lucky the forwards got going. We have one footballer who refuses to go for 50/50 balls not acceptable at this level"
Dolan? Because he didn't go for one he should have in the second half over the stand side! Overall a hard-fought two points and great to get after a poor enough 1st half..full back line problematic after what seemed like a good day out in o'byrne cup final..hopefully tighten up and move forward to next weekend where another 2 points would set us up nicely for a tilt at promotion from this division

TheLineKing (Westmeath) - Posts: 6 - 27/01/2019 19:18:00    2160054

Link

We got out of jail yesterday. Our 1st half was nothing short of deplorable. Our full back line got cleaned out for the whole game. James Dolan is not suited to a sweeper role. In fairness to Jack the changes made a big difference, Loughlin, Corroon, Halligan did well. Midfield continues to be a big problem. We could do with Darragh Daly back and need Heslin and Gonoud back very soon as well. Brilliant to get the win but big improvement needed if we want promotion.

Left Full (Westmeath) - Posts: 161 - 28/01/2019 10:03:29    2160266

Link

The subs and Offalys black card made a big difference. It turned a run of scores into a full momentum swing. Wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the entire defence although we were taken to the cleaners at times. All bar the one or two that looked completely out of their depth I would give them a chance to learn from their mistakes. Overall you have to be happy with the fight shown. It's 11 years since we beat Offaly away isn't it?

Juniorbleague (Westmeath) - Posts: 25 - 28/01/2019 11:08:33    2160307

Link

Offaly seemed to manage the wind better than us, but maybe it had died down by the time they were playing into it. The subs did make a big impact too, Fagan and Flanagan didn't seem to be at the races, but they're young and I'm sure they'll learn.
The full back line looked quite loose too, I imagine Jack will have to do a lot of work with them, especially with the new offensive mark. I would be worried if we give the same space to Broderick & co next week.
The forwards did a lot better in the second half too, they seemed to be more willing to run at the defenders. O'Toole played well I thought, including one incredible offensive mark, and they struggled to contain Martin when he got going too.
On a side note, Kieran Martin kicked a shot which looked over from my position but was waved wide, and Loughlin had one from the far side too which he seemed adamant about.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 28/01/2019 11:27:10    2160321

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "Offaly seemed to manage the wind better than us, but maybe it had died down by the time they were playing into it. The subs did make a big impact too, Fagan and Flanagan didn't seem to be at the races, but they're young and I'm sure they'll learn.
The full back line looked quite loose too, I imagine Jack will have to do a lot of work with them, especially with the new offensive mark. I would be worried if we give the same space to Broderick & co next week.
The forwards did a lot better in the second half too, they seemed to be more willing to run at the defenders. O'Toole played well I thought, including one incredible offensive mark, and they struggled to contain Martin when he got going too.
On a side note, Kieran Martin kicked a shot which looked over from my position but was waved wide, and Loughlin had one from the far side too which he seemed adamant about."
Martin's was wide alright. Lucky buck to stay on the field!
Unfortunately, we didn't use our bench properly. Nigel Dunne should have been brought on ahead of Tierney anyway. We've no midfielders, except for Carroll, who's barely back training. Dunican can't kick a ball out either, which is concerning. I'd have Rohan ahead of him all day long. Dunican is also unable to manage a game timewise. WH rattle two quick points off in a row, you should kick it to the player with the best chance of winning it. He kicks it to Niall Darby, who at that moment was marked by one of your midfielders. The black card occurred at the worst possible time for us.
A draw would have been a fair result, but we folded.

LooseCannon (Offaly) - Posts: 84 - 28/01/2019 18:46:05    2160517

Link

Good spirit shown to fight back and win. Loughlin was the real difference when he came on. Lots of improvement required though going forward. As others have said, the backs struggled for most of the game. Neither team were very good, but in rough conditions and with a number of players not back with both teams it probably wasn't going to be a classic. The main thing though was that a bit of grit was shown and it's good to get two points on the board in the circumstances.

anon (None) - Posts: 315 - 29/01/2019 13:25:11    2160712

Link

Good to get points on the board. Offaly were always going to be up for the first game. We need to play for both halves against Carlow. They will not be conceding as many soft scores as Offaly.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 448 - 29/01/2019 19:29:44    2160795

Link