Westmeath Forum

Football Squad 2019.

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To mickcunningham:  "Big win today . Full team performance . Great 2nd half. Lots of great displays . But luke loughlin was immense he was in great form and hungry for work . 2 games left it's as simple as this win both and we are promoted and have a final in croke park well done jack and all the team"
1 game at a time Mick dont need anyone getting excited in march long long roads ahead

rogerdodger (Westmeath) - Posts: 227 - 04/03/2019 00:29:18    2169952

Link

Great to get an away win and to put up a decent score. Well done to all concerned.

wonit1time (Westmeath) - Posts: 448 - 04/03/2019 08:28:09    2169974

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "Big win today . Full team performance . Great 2nd half. Lots of great displays . But luke loughlin was immense he was in great form and hungry for work . 2 games left it's as simple as this win both and we are promoted and have a final in croke park well done jack and all the team"
londoner if you read my post i just stated that 2 wins and we are promoted . jack is ambiyioys man
and his goal will be to be playing in a higher division

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1110 - 04/03/2019 10:25:19    2170012

Link

sorry that should be ambitious

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1110 - 04/03/2019 14:03:30    2170119

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "londoner if you read my post i just stated that 2 wins and we are promoted . jack is ambiyioys man
and his goal will be to be playing in a higher division"
Agree with Mick, we have this in the bag. When u see Kildare and Meath operating in division 2 and would be behind us in quality and achievements over the last 4,5 years we have to be confident. Most of these lads have played in 2 or 3 Leinster finals already along with winning a national league medal already o Byrne cup onwards and upwards

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 04/03/2019 14:49:59    2170140

Link

Replying To Paddyfla19:  "Agree with Mick, we have this in the bag. When u see Kildare and Meath operating in division 2 and would be behind us in quality and achievements over the last 4,5 years we have to be confident. Most of these lads have played in 2 or 3 Leinster finals already along with winning a national league medal already o Byrne cup onwards and upwards"
Meath and Kildare behind us in quality? I'd like a drink of what you're taking. Kildare made the super 8's last season, we didn't get past round 1 of the qualifiers. Meath are top of a strong Div2, while we are second in a mediocre Div3. Meath are after making huge strides forward this year and are about to gain promotion to Division 1 for the first time in 13 seasons. When we take teams for granted we fall. We took Louth for granted in 2010 and lost, we have a mixed record since then with them. In the past we have taken teams like Clare, Tipperary and Antrim for granted and lost! Longford comfortably disposed of us last year. It is far from 'In the bag' as you put it. Are we in a good position, yes. But being cocky never got us anywhere in the past.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 05/03/2019 18:05:05    2170446

Link

Chops you are off again . Westmeath have been in 2 of the last 5 leinster finals meath are going nowhere wit has McEntee . Cooney and keelaghan are progressive coaches in my opinion we are third in leinster behind dublin and kildare no one is getting cocky but the fact is that if we beat louth and Longford we are promoted

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1110 - 05/03/2019 19:35:36    2170465

Link

Replying To mickcunningham:  "Chops you are off again . Westmeath have been in 2 of the last 5 leinster finals meath are going nowhere wit has McEntee . Cooney and keelaghan are progressive coaches in my opinion we are third in leinster behind dublin and kildare no one is getting cocky but the fact is that if we beat louth and Longford we are promoted"
Paddyfla up here says we have it in the bag Mick. If that's not cocky I don't know what is. We are in the exact same position as this time last year. All we had to do was beat Longford and Offaly at this very stage last year, we lost to Longford, and the Offaly game became a dead rubber and they beat us out our own gate. We are in a good position but nothing can be taken for granted. As for Meath, they beat the same Armagh team that beat us by 11 points last June in Mullingar, beat the Kildare team you say who is just ahead of us and narrowly lost to Donegal by 2 points who were also a super 8 team. Don't get me wrong Mick I hope we do get promoted because we won't make progress where we are now. But one game at a time.

Chops (Westmeath) - Posts: 775 - 05/03/2019 22:10:41    2170504

Link

Replying To Chops:  "Paddyfla up here says we have it in the bag Mick. If that's not cocky I don't know what is. We are in the exact same position as this time last year. All we had to do was beat Longford and Offaly at this very stage last year, we lost to Longford, and the Offaly game became a dead rubber and they beat us out our own gate. We are in a good position but nothing can be taken for granted. As for Meath, they beat the same Armagh team that beat us by 11 points last June in Mullingar, beat the Kildare team you say who is just ahead of us and narrowly lost to Donegal by 2 points who were also a super 8 team. Don't get me wrong Mick I hope we do get promoted because we won't make progress where we are now. But one game at a time."
It's coming home

Paddyfla19 (Westmeath) - Posts: 100 - 05/03/2019 22:56:13    2170516

Link

Replying To Paddyfla19:  "It's coming home"
Last year if you recall we were being managed by Colin kelly who with all due respect was not up to the job . Jack Cooney and his management team are a very different story I agree it is in our own hands but from talking to some of the players they are highly motivated .

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1110 - 06/03/2019 05:59:01    2170538

Link

http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/296560
Skerries Harps defender Jack Smith transferring to Westmeath.
Does anyone know anything about this lad?
His brother Stephen looked like a decent prospect in the O'Byrne Cup earlier this year, but obviously he's a forward so maybe not a comparison.

iarmhi_an_mhaith (Westmeath) - Posts: 186 - 09/03/2019 20:41:05    2171306

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/296560
His brother Stephen looked like a decent prospect in the O'Byrne Cup earlier this year, but obviously he's a forward so maybe not a comparison."
He was playing in the Sigerson final for DCU a few years ago, so he must be decent. No shame in not breaking in to that Dublin panel. His father was a class player from what I hear - not old enough to remember.

jamsie (Westmeath) - Posts: 231 - 09/03/2019 22:29:49    2171333

Link

Replying To iarmhi_an_mhaith:  "http://www.hoganstand.com/Article/Index/296560
His brother Stephen looked like a decent prospect in the O'Byrne Cup earlier this year, but obviously he's a forward so maybe not a comparison."
Jack Cooney going Jack Charlton style.

The_Biler (Westmeath) - Posts: 32 - 12/03/2019 15:54:13    2171885

Link

Replying To jamsie:  "He was playing in the Sigerson final for DCU a few years ago, so he must be decent. No shame in not breaking in to that Dublin panel. His father was a class player from what I hear - not old enough to remember."
his dad is peter smith . played for many years with mullingar shamrocks and indeed westmeath . corner or wing back
and a neat player he was . he will get a good welcome into the team and i hope he does well

mickcunningham (Westmeath) - Posts: 1110 - 12/03/2019 17:56:15    2171908

Link