UK Forum

East Kent GAA

(Oldest Posts First)

Hello,

There are few of us based in Canterbury looking at getting a GAA team up and running for summer with us potentially looking at setting up an official club next year. However, we need more numbers at the moment we can probably scrape 15 together it would be great to find another 10 or 15 people in the East Kent area.

If Canterbury does not suit, we would also be happy to find a location that suits all.

dochoc (Tipperary) - Posts: 10 - 28/03/2018 15:14:15    2089069

Link

Replying To dochoc:  "Hello,

There are few of us based in Canterbury looking at getting a GAA team up and running for summer with us potentially looking at setting up an official club next year. However, we need more numbers at the moment we can probably scrape 15 together it would be great to find another 10 or 15 people in the East Kent area.

If Canterbury does not suit, we would also be happy to find a location that suits all."
you would definitely need about 30 to realistically look at setting up a club. With fella's away for weekends, and lads that are a bit non committal, even with 30 signed up it can be hard get 15 out every week, Also a lot of games in North West London would mean a long trek at times. You will need a couple of fellas also who are committed to being here for a few years to take an active part in the running of the club. No point having a lad who does all the work and then he heads home after Christmas. Might be good to have a meeting to look at getting a club set up, set up a committee, have a few training sessions, set up facebook/twitter/instagram accounts. If ye take it seriously and look organised ye will definitely get a few recruits.

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1795 - 05/04/2018 09:40:46    2091185

Link

TBH I do not understand why the British Council do not start a few blitzs for clubs want to start up.Could be 7,9 11 a side played in Birmingham or Greeford.I seen Sheffield,York,Chelmsford and now Kent trying to start teams why don't they just start a smaller sided blitzes to facilitate these teams and let them build from there.

Not as much immigration from Ireland in the last few years so the GAA need to start thinking outside the box

ifindoubt (Donegal) - Posts: 97 - 15/05/2018 12:40:21    2100949

Link

Anyone know where the ulster final could be watched in Kent or the surrounding area?

gotmilk (Fermanagh) - Posts: 4971 - 20/06/2018 12:50:36    2113329

Link

Replying To ifindoubt:  "TBH I do not understand why the British Council do not start a few blitzs for clubs want to start up.Could be 7,9 11 a side played in Birmingham or Greeford.I seen Sheffield,York,Chelmsford and now Kent trying to start teams why don't they just start a smaller sided blitzes to facilitate these teams and let them build from there.

Not as much immigration from Ireland in the last few years so the GAA need to start thinking outside the box"
We have 32 lads on a group chat who are interested and that is just from Canterbury, there are more in the East Kent area. A 7,9 or 11 aside would be ideal to help us get a few games and have something to train for. Are any happening next year?

dochoc (Tipperary) - Posts: 10 - 02/10/2018 21:14:25    2144842

Link

Replying To dochoc:  "Hello,

If Canterbury does not suit, we would also be happy to find a location that suits all."
Hi everybody,

I am a french student moving to Canterbury for the next three years. I am currently playing gaelic football with Liffre (Britanny, France) at a good level (vice-champions of France and intermediate champions at Maastricht Gaelic Games Europe championship in 2018). I would like to continue playing this beautiful sport but it seems that most of the clubs are in London... As your last message was posted some months ago, I would like to know if the project was still on track? I would be really motivated to participate into the creation of a club.

Regards,
Julien Camard

Jcamard (UK) - Posts: 2 - 27/05/2019 16:55:26    2188229

Link

Replying To Jcamard:  "Hi everybody,

I am a french student moving to Canterbury for the next three years. I am currently playing gaelic football with Liffre (Britanny, France) at a good level (vice-champions of France and intermediate champions at Maastricht Gaelic Games Europe championship in 2018). I would like to continue playing this beautiful sport but it seems that most of the clubs are in London... As your last message was posted some months ago, I would like to know if the project was still on track? I would be really motivated to participate into the creation of a club.

Regards,
Julien Camard"
Julien, look up Cantebury Gaels on Instagram

Rosineri1 (UK) - Posts: 1795 - 31/05/2019 09:03:37    2189303

Link

Replying To Rosineri1:  "Julien, look up Cantebury Gaels on Instagram"
Sounds great! I would be pleased to join you guys in september!

Regards,
Julien

Jcamard (UK) - Posts: 2 - 03/06/2019 17:11:04    2190247

Link