Tipperary Forum

County championship format

(Oldest Posts First)

It's always been a bit of a mystery how Tipp hurling championship works.

Is is possible for someone to break it down for me - the divisions, teams, number of rounds, when the championship proper takes over from the divisional championships, etc.

I know it's a tall order, but I'd really love to know, especially as I'm spending part of this summer in Tipp and hope to see some games.

Thanks

dermot123 (UK) - Posts: 3 - 01/05/2012 11:37:20    1163769

Link

01/05/2012 11:37:20
dermot123
County: UK

1163769 It's always been a bit of a mystery how Tipp hurling championship works.

Is is possible for someone to break it down for me - the divisions, teams, number of rounds, when the championship proper takes over from the divisional championships, etc.

I know it's a tall order, but I'd really love to know, especially as I'm spending part of this summer in Tipp and hope to see some games.

Thanks

There is 4 divisions. North, South, West and Mid.
Each division runs its own championship and can decide on whatever format it likes for the championship.
I dont know the structure of the other divisions but In the North championship there is 12 senior clubs and they are split into 2 groups of 6.
Each team plays 5 group games and the top 3 in each group get through to the knockout stages. The bottom 3 in each group go into the 1st round of the county championship and play sides from another division after a draw is made in a couple of months time when the group stages will have been completed. The teams that make the north knockout stages enter the county championship on a gradual basis

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 01/05/2012 12:14:29    1163804

Link

Thanks for that. So, from what you say, all 12 teams in the North Tipp division make it through to the championship proper one way or the other, after playing up to 7 (might be 8?) games. How do they find time for all the games, and I have to wonder, what is the point?

dermot123 (UK) - Posts: 3 - 01/05/2012 15:54:49    1164012

Link

01/05/2012 15:54:49
dermot123
County: UK

1164012 Thanks for that. So, from what you say, all 12 teams in the North Tipp division make it through to the championship proper one way or the other, after playing up to 7 (might be 8?) games. How do they find time for all the games, and I have to wonder, what is the point?

North championship is still important and is "championship proper". Yes all teams have a chance of winning the county championship no matter how early or how late they leave the north championship
Each club is guaranteed 5 games which is, being honest not that many games(for example in my main competition in rugby in the season im guaranteed 14 games and also have 4+ cup games) and then each club is guaranteed another 2-3 games in the county championship which is not that many games at all.

The north championship began on the weekend of the 7th/8th april and by the weekend just gone there is 3 rounds played.
They find the time by playing the games every few weeks with breaks for intercounty games or just to give players a break and on some weekends when championship games are not played senior league is played.
The point is each club is guaranteed plenty of games at senior level in the north championship and then several more in the county championship

ormondbannerman (Clare) - Posts: 13473 - 01/05/2012 19:50:22    1164213

Link

Thanks for those comments - they are very helpful and I see what you mean about clubs getting a fair few games.

I'll check out the results now, to get an idea how it's going.

dermot123 (UK) - Posts: 3 - 02/05/2012 09:15:47    1164381

Link