Monaghan Forum

1944 Monaghan V Antrim Official Opening Of St Tiarnach's Ground

(Oldest Posts First)

Hi, just noticed thid year is the 75th anniversary of the clones pitch being officially opened for gaa matches.

I think the ulster final was played there in 1944 but also a week later monaghan played antrim in the officially opening ceremony. Monaghan won.

In the ulster final cavan beat monaghan.

Does anybody know were i could get the names of the players that day.

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 463 - 04/02/2019 20:35:07    2162617

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Hi, just noticed thid year is the 75th anniversary of the clones pitch being officially opened for gaa matches.

I think the ulster final was played there in 1944 but also a week later monaghan played antrim in the officially opening ceremony. Monaghan won.

In the ulster final cavan beat monaghan.

Does anybody know were i could get the names of the players that day."
I see there is no interest in the history of clones gaa home turf!!! Sad but so modern!

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 463 - 16/03/2019 06:18:03    2172502

Link

You'll be delighted that we beat Cavan mind.

Knoxboya (Monaghan) - Posts: 274 - 16/03/2019 21:47:51    2172825

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "I see there is no interest in the history of clones gaa home turf!!! Sad but so modern!"
Was John Rice playing?

19616609 (Louth) - Posts: 1331 - 21/03/2019 08:27:37    2174110

Link

Vinny Corey made his debut :-)

conjack76 (Monaghan) - Posts: 48 - 22/03/2019 16:05:15    2174397

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "I see there is no interest in the history of clones gaa home turf!!! Sad but so modern!"
I know that Monaghan drew with Cavan in 1947 Ulster final drawn match and replay ( which they are still banging on about on latest raffle appeal!!) with 3 Clones stalwarts that where well into their 20's and I can only assume that Pat Mc Grane, Peter Mc Carney & Eugene Mc Donald featured in 1944, also Macay Moyna from Scotstown was of a similar vintage, surely there are senior GAA anoraks our there that may not be so dynamic on a forum such as this would have the team rhymed off in a heart beat, this brings me to bring up the subject of how clubs in Monaghan have shaped the County successes throughout the years, Scotstown, Clontibret and Blaney certainly in my time have prosthetic stand out players, Clones has punched well above its weight in that the players that have gone on to represent the county have done so with distinction, Monaghan and Carrickmacross the 2 biggest population hubs have never produced players of distinction in my time following the County, maybe that will change with Stephen O Hanlon!!

MONMAD (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 22/03/2019 22:51:12    2174463

Link

Replying To MONMAD:  "I know that Monaghan drew with Cavan in 1947 Ulster final drawn match and replay ( which they are still banging on about on latest raffle appeal!!) with 3 Clones stalwarts that where well into their 20's and I can only assume that Pat Mc Grane, Peter Mc Carney & Eugene Mc Donald featured in 1944, also Macay Moyna from Scotstown was of a similar vintage, surely there are senior GAA anoraks our there that may not be so dynamic on a forum such as this would have the team rhymed off in a heart beat, this brings me to bring up the subject of how clubs in Monaghan have shaped the County successes throughout the years, Scotstown, Clontibret and Blaney certainly in my time have prosthetic stand out players, Clones has punched well above its weight in that the players that have gone on to represent the county have done so with distinction, Monaghan and Carrickmacross the 2 biggest population hubs have never produced players of distinction in my time following the County, maybe that will change with Stephen O Hanlon!!"
I think that's a bit disrespectful of Stephen gollogy who I played against st club level who was a serious servant to monaghan but apart from him totally agree with your post

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 126 - 23/03/2019 14:57:19    2174519

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "I think that's a bit disrespectful of Stephen gollogy who I played against st club level who was a serious servant to monaghan but apart from him totally agree with your post"
Fair point who could forget how he laid his body on the line in 2013 and the sh*te that he got from sections of the Donegal support, he was a great servant to the Monaghan cause but he wasn't the type of player that you would have fretted about if he wasn't on the team sheet, no disrespect I think any player that togs out deserves our ( the supporters respect), I didn't mention Ballybay either which was unfortunate as they have produced stalwarts

MONMAD (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 24/03/2019 11:11:20    2174656

Link

Just found the 1944 Monaghan team in this game:-

D Rooney
E mccooey
B Malone
M Moore
E O'Connor
E McDonald
E Murphy
C McGrath
P McCartney (capt)
V Duffy
C Brennan
M McCormack
D trainor
E Moore
P mccarville

I have heard of

Michael Moore, Eugene McDonald, peter mccarney, and Eugene Moore. Moore's from currin and other two from clones

Monaghan won 2 08 to antrim 2 06

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 463 - 02/04/2019 21:13:05    2177375

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Just found the 1944 Monaghan team in this game:-

D Rooney
E mccooey
B Malone
M Moore
E O'Connor
E McDonald
E Murphy
C McGrath
P McCartney (capt)
V Duffy
C Brennan
M McCormack
D trainor
E Moore
P mccarville

I have heard of

Michael Moore, Eugene McDonald, peter mccarney, and Eugene Moore. Moore's from currin and other two from clones

Monaghan won 2 08 to antrim 2 06"
Would mc Donald not have been blaney ?? Or have I the wrong man

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 126 - 03/04/2019 00:28:42    2177420

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "Would mc Donald not have been blaney ?? Or have I the wrong man"
No he was a Clones man

MONMAD (Monaghan) - Posts: 12 - 03/04/2019 23:53:45    2177606

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Just found the 1944 Monaghan team in this game:-

D Rooney
E mccooey
B Malone
M Moore
E O'Connor
E McDonald
E Murphy
C McGrath
P McCartney (capt)
V Duffy
C Brennan
M McCormack
D trainor
E Moore
P mccarville

I have heard of

Monaghan won 2 08 to antrim 2 06"
Starting with Bernardo's team and having combed through JP Graham's book 'The GAA in Monaghan 1887-1999', I suggest the following:

D. Rooney- Clones Co. Champs 1943
E. McCooey - Eamon McCooey Clones
B Malone - T Malone 'Blayney Co. Champs 1946
M. Moore - Michael Moore Currin
E O'Connor - 'Blayney Co. Champs 1946
E Mc Donald - Eugene McDonald Clones Co. Champs 1943
E Murphy - Eamon Murphy Clones
C McGrath - Charlie McGrath 'Blayney Co. Champs 1946
P McCartney - Peter McCarney Clones Co. Champs 1943
V Duffy - Vincent O' Duffy Latton
C Brennan - Charlie Brennan Scotstown
M McCormack - Macartan McCormack Blackhill
D Trainor - Dan Treanor Emyvale
E Moore - Eugene Moore Currin
P McCarville - Killeevan Co. Champs 1944

tommy58 (Dublin) - Posts: 156 - 12/04/2019 11:32:45    2178552

Link

Replying To tommy58:  "Starting with Bernardo's team and having combed through JP Graham's book 'The GAA in Monaghan 1887-1999', I suggest the following:

D. Rooney- Clones Co. Champs 1943
E. McCooey - Eamon McCooey Clones
B Malone - T Malone 'Blayney Co. Champs 1946
M. Moore - Michael Moore Currin
E O'Connor - 'Blayney Co. Champs 1946
E Mc Donald - Eugene McDonald Clones Co. Champs 1943
E Murphy - Eamon Murphy Clones
C McGrath - Charlie McGrath 'Blayney Co. Champs 1946
P McCartney - Peter McCarney Clones Co. Champs 1943
V Duffy - Vincent O' Duffy Latton
C Brennan - Charlie Brennan Scotstown
M McCormack - Macartan McCormack Blackhill
D Trainor - Dan Treanor Emyvale
E Moore - Eugene Moore Currin
P McCarville - Killeevan Co. Champs 1944"
Would it not be nice to have a family member from each player on each team appear at the ulster final next. 75 years of clones being home of ulster gaa?

Would ulster council be interested?

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 463 - 13/04/2019 15:43:18    2178673

Link

Replying To Bernardo:  "Would it not be nice to have a family member from each player on each team appear at the ulster final next. 75 years of clones being home of ulster gaa?

Would ulster council be interested?"
Sad on the 75th anniversary of the official opening of clones pitch these men were for gotten

Sad but very much 21st century ireland

Bernardo (Monaghan) - Posts: 463 - 02/07/2019 22:16:29    2204638

Link