Monaghan Forum

Division 1 - 2019

(Oldest Posts First) - Go To The Latest Post

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "So red does carry forward to championship"
Yes it does.

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 442 - 26/03/2019 20:58:22    2175669

Link

Speaking of fresh blood. Great piece on Aaron Mulligan on sky sports
https://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic-football/news/30553/11675399/aaron-mulligan-tipped-for-monaghan-senior-berthIt?fbclid=IwAR1ZVrO2SATqrcq350l9aQAw6NP0URY_ut45NDAOlfgEipunLTP1WEkYq7k
Let's hope he continues - a very exciting prospect for the future!

greysoil (Monaghan) - Posts: 442 - 26/03/2019 21:11:22    2175673

Link

Replying To greysoil:  "Speaking of fresh blood. Great piece on Aaron Mulligan on sky sports
https://www.skysports.com/gaa/gaelic-football/news/30553/11675399/aaron-mulligan-tipped-for-monaghan-senior-berthIt?fbclid=IwAR1ZVrO2SATqrcq350l9aQAw6NP0URY_ut45NDAOlfgEipunLTP1WEkYq7k
Let's hope he continues - a very exciting prospect for the future!"
He should be took onto the panel

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 150 - 26/03/2019 22:30:21    2175707

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "Defo at fault for first caught sleeping and free kicked to his man.
I'd have Boyle in full back before him . Possible use drew at center half or as a 2nf half sub . That's the way id ok with Cavan game anyway"
I feel Drew is very good when marking someone similar speed or if there's a big man thrown in to get physical with, he'll win the battle there.

As in regard to half back then for sure i'd have him in there at 6 as he's up there with being one of the most solid players on the ball, he rarely loses or gives it away, he even chipped in with important points v Fermanagh and Tyrone.
I believe that he is brilliant in half back/midfield for Ballybay, surely there is a big difference in club and county but it is definitely worth a go, it also frees up a slot for Boyle to slot into with Walshe.

My team for championship would be

Beggan
Walshe Boyle R.Wylie
O'Connell D.Wylie Kerr

D.Hughes - Kelly
McAnespie McCarron Malone
O'Hanlon McCarthy McManus

I feel that changing the team up for certain oppositions and making brave decisions could be the difference in us winning games.

MonaghanGlory (Monaghan) - Posts: 618 - 26/03/2019 23:35:55    2175722

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "I feel Drew is very good when marking someone similar speed or if there's a big man thrown in to get physical with, he'll win the battle there.

As in regard to half back then for sure i'd have him in there at 6 as he's up there with being one of the most solid players on the ball, he rarely loses or gives it away, he even chipped in with important points v Fermanagh and Tyrone.
I believe that he is brilliant in half back/midfield for Ballybay, surely there is a big difference in club and county but it is definitely worth a go, it also frees up a slot for Boyle to slot into with Walshe.

Beggan
Walshe Boyle R.Wylie
O'Connell D.Wylie Kerr

D.Hughes - Kelly

I feel that changing the team up for certain oppositions and making brave decisions could be the difference in us winning games."
Good job your not picking our team

Cuppa (Monaghan) - Posts: 150 - 27/03/2019 13:17:46    2175801

Link

Replying To Cuppa:  "Good job your not picking our team"
Name your team ?
It looks fairly good to me I might make one or two changes but not sure atm. At this stage we all have to assume our injured players are not going to start in Cavan in May.

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 107 - 27/03/2019 14:27:44    2175816

Link

Replying To MonaghanGlory:  "I feel Drew is very good when marking someone similar speed or if there's a big man thrown in to get physical with, he'll win the battle there.

Beggan
Walshe Boyle R.Wylie
O'Connell D.Wylie Kerr

D.Hughes - Kelly

I feel that changing the team up for certain oppositions and making brave decisions could be the difference in us winning games."
I'll go with
Beggan
Walshe/Duffy Boyle R. Wylie
Walshe/Duffy D. Wylie O'Connell
D.Hughes Kelly
McAnespie Malone Ward
McCarthy McManus McCarron

I taught McCarron was class at center half but last week proved when he turns it on in the full forward line he's untouchable. But if he were to go to center half switch with ward and put Malone put wing half.
Kerr could easily start at center half back for me and have drew come on in the second half with fresh legs to solid everything up .
I'd be happy to let ohanlon come on in second half also hit them with his speed .

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 107 - 27/03/2019 14:44:02    2175824

Link

Replying To farneygael:  "I'll go with
Beggan
Walshe/Duffy Boyle R. Wylie
Walshe/Duffy D. Wylie O'Connell
D.Hughes Kelly
McAnespie Malone Ward
McCarthy McManus McCarron

I taught McCarron was class at center half but last week proved when he turns it on in the full forward line he's untouchable. But if he were to go to center half switch with ward and put Malone put wing half.
Kerr could easily start at center half back for me and have drew come on in the second half with fresh legs to solid everything up .
I'd be happy to let ohanlon come on in second half also hit them with his speed ."
Lads haven't you heard Kelly not available for Cavan game because of his red !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 87 - 27/03/2019 23:47:29    2175931

Link

Replying To Shelbourne1:  "Lads haven't you heard Kelly not available for Cavan game because of his red !"
Sorry assumed was goin be available
I'd put doogan in there In his place .

farneygael (Monaghan) - Posts: 107 - 28/03/2019 13:21:55    2176008

Link

We blooded 4 new players not 2.......Kerr, O'Hanlon, Garland & Bannigan......with the injuries we had I think that's very acceptable especially if trying to stay in division 1 important.

So there was a twin objective......blooding as many new players as possible while giving us an acceptable chance of staying in the top division. Do you honestly believe Malachy wished to use Conor, Drew & Darren etc as much as he did....no way !
Probably held back K Hughes too ........to ensure ready for Breffni.

So we know that Kerr & O'Hanlon are challenging for starting positions ...maybe Mealiff as well but he was injured for mot of the league ...........AND we stayed up so Malachy did his best.

PS I don't know what the story is with McGinn....I'm a big fan but I will trust Malachy on this one !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 64 - 26/03/2019 15:50:40

Very short sighted from you Shelbourne...........................When the game is there to be won in the summer and Malachy looks back to his bench all he is going to see on it is Defenders.....................One forward which will be O'Hanlon after that you will have Vinny,Dessie Mone,Conor Boyle,Barry Kerr.

Vinny and Dessie are at the end,so your left with very little to come in all because Management didnt blood more to see are the able for it at this level,if they had to be brave and let Mealiff,McGinn,Lennon, have the game time some of the others got we would be in a much better place going into Championship regardless of staying up.

I didnt mentioned Duffy,Carey,Doogan, as come Championship they will be lost by the pace of the games....

PS. Neil McAdam is a centre half back and a good one at that,he stays there,blocks up the middle and teams dont go down there when hes in that postion...................He done this job in 2013 and 2015,were we did not conceded a goal and won the Ulster Title in both of those years........food for taught for all the experts out there!!!

hardcore (Monaghan) - Posts: 1341 - 29/03/2019 22:18:24    2176311

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "We blooded 4 new players not 2.......Kerr, O'Hanlon, Garland & Bannigan......with the injuries we had I think that's very acceptable especially if trying to stay in division 1 important.

So there was a twin objective......blooding as many new players as possible while giving us an acceptable chance of staying in the top division. Do you honestly believe Malachy wished to use Conor, Drew & Darren etc as much as he did....no way !

So we know that Kerr & O'Hanlon are challenging for starting positions ...maybe Mealiff as well but he was injured for mot of the league ...........AND we stayed up so Malachy did his best.

PS I don't know what the story is with McGinn....I'm a big fan but I will trust Malachy on this one !

Very short sighted from you Shelbourne...........................When the game is there to be won in the summer and Malachy looks back to his bench all he is going to see on it is Defenders.....................One forward which will be O'Hanlon after that you will have Vinny,Dessie Mone,Conor Boyle,Barry Kerr.

Vinny and Dessie are at the end,so your left with very little to come in all because Management didnt blood more to see are the able for it at this level,if they had to be brave and let Mealiff,McGinn,Lennon, have the game time some of the others got we would be in a much better place going into Championship regardless of staying up.

I didnt mentioned Duffy,Carey,Doogan, as come Championship they will be lost by the pace of the games....

PS. Neil McAdam is a centre half back and a good one at that,he stays there,blocks up the middle and teams dont go down there when hes in that postion...................He done this job in 2013 and 2015,were we did not conceded a goal and won the Ulster Title in both of those years........food for taught for all the experts out there!!!"
Hardcore you castigate Malachy for not trying out more new blood and forwards in particular. But you must credit the fact that he tried out O'Hanlon, Garland & Bannigan....Mealiff was injured for practically all of the league so only dispute is over McGinn. And all this while staying up in Division 1.

So McGinn can be your only bone of contention as regards forwards. As I said I'm mystified by that too...but that's the only one...there must be a genuine reason behind McGinn's lack of game time !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 87 - 30/03/2019 00:37:29    2176325

Link

Replying To hardcore:  "We blooded 4 new players not 2.......Kerr, O'Hanlon, Garland & Bannigan......with the injuries we had I think that's very acceptable especially if trying to stay in division 1 important.

PS. Neil McAdam is a centre half back and a good one at that,he stays there,blocks up the middle and teams dont go down there when hes in that postion...................He done this job in 2013 and 2015,were we did not conceded a goal and won the Ulster Title in both of those years........food for taught for all the experts out there!!!"
And I agree with your comments about Neil McAdam...he's a centre half ...end of story !

Shelbourne1 (Monaghan) - Posts: 87 - 30/03/2019 00:39:28    2176327

Link

You couldn't say he tried gartland.Didnt play ohanlon against Roscommon last sub on didn't start against Mayo.mcginn got 5minutes game time.Then they say young Mulligan should be on to sit on the bench with all the other young players.Also did a lot of the All Stars not turn up to the awards .

dlk (Monaghan) - Posts: 10 - 30/03/2019 09:48:20    2176353

Link

Was Kieran Hughes and Kearns playing for Sean's and Scotstown this evening?

Monaghan2000 (Monaghan) - Posts: 30 - 30/03/2019 20:12:46    2176460

Link

Replying To Monaghan2000:  "Was Kieran Hughes and Kearns playing for Sean's and Scotstown this evening?"
Don't believe either played, disappointing results for both sides though

HB245 (Monaghan) - Posts: 51 - 30/03/2019 20:27:04    2176470

Link